OT: - Golf Clubs | The Boneyard

OT: Golf Clubs

Reaction Score
Bought a basic starter set of clubs about 2 years ago, and now am looking to slowly upgrade a few clubs. I've filled in the gaps with clubs I didn't have already, so this is the next step. I know there's a lot of golfers here, any advice on which clubs I should start with that I'll see the biggest difference? Not looking to go crazy or win the Masters, just lots of golf with friends

Reaction Score
Bought a basic starter set of clubs about 2 years ago, and now am looking to slowly upgrade a few clubs. I've filled in the gaps with clubs I didn't have already, so this is the next step. I know there's a lot of golfers here, any advice on which clubs I should start with that I'll see the biggest difference? Not looking to go crazy or win the Masters, just lots of golf with friends
Not sure if you want to upgrade irons or metals? I would be hesitant to upgrade individual clubs, other than driver or wedges. If you want better clubs without spending $$$ look for used stuff. I know guys that buy a new driver every year or 2.

Reaction Score
The big thing is to play enough with that starter set until you have a consistent successful swing. After that as Halloween said getting fitted is the best move. If you're looking to cut that cost then I'd usually recommend game improvement irons, something like the Apex 19's from the Callaway Pre-Owned site. Mine were still in their original shrink wrap

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Go get fitted. Shaft and head combinations make a big difference considering swing speed, handicap etc.. How the head looks to you at address is important too. What looks good to me may not appeoverhanging.
This is the right answer. Getting fitting is a basic step nowadays.

Realistically first thing you can do to get lower scores is get better at putting. Every hole bases par off of two putts. Learning speed and distance gets you a "par" on every green. Find a putter that fits your eye and you feel comfortable using.

But...........you probably want some advice on woods and irons.

Getting a driver or 3-wood which fits your swing is crucial to good scoring. Just getting a ball in play 175-200 yards off the tee will dramatically improve your score and your in-game experience. If you can hit it further all the more power to you. Maybe even a hybrid.

Next work on your short irons and wedges. Find clubs which you can hit and manipulate from 125 and in to the hole.
Then work on mid irons. Many golfers will tell you a 7-iron or 8-iron is their favorite club. Many teachers have beginner golfers learn how to swing using those clubs.

Last thing is your long irons. Truth be told, if you are above a 15 handicapper you shouldn't ever be taking a 200 yard swing from the fairway. Shot dispersion is massive and probability of topped shots or wide left and right is high. Just take a 130-150 swing and then get on the green with next swing.

Long story short, your swing speed, your height, swing length and a bunch of other factors will determine the right club and shaft combination.

Also, use the same ball you use on the course when you do a fitting. Balls have a larger variance in spin and trajectory.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The big thing is to play enough with that starter set until you have a consistent successful swing. After that as Halloween said getting fitted is the best move. If you're looking to cut that cost then I'd usually recommend game improvement irons, something like the Apex 19's from the Callaway Pre-Owned site. Mine were still in their original shrink wrap

And yes, once you know a thing or two, the used club market has great bargains.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do not get fitted for clubs until you have a repeatable swing. I had good success at Chris Cote's in Southington.
I played for 25 years and went to get fitted, didn't have a repeatable swing even then. So don't assume it will happen at all. There is a cheaper fitting they do in that case that can still help you choose clubs.

Reaction Score
This is the right answer. Getting fitting is a basic step nowadays.

Realistically first thing you can do to get lower scores is get better at putting. Every hole bases par off of two putts. Learning speed and distance gets you a "par" on every green. Find a putter that fits your eye and you feel comfortable using.

But...........you probably want some advice on woods and irons.

Getting a driver or 3-wood which fits your swing is crucial to good scoring. Just getting a ball in play 175-200 yards off the tee will dramatically improve your score and your in-game experience. If you can hit it further all the more power to you. Maybe even a hybrid.

Next work on your short irons and wedges. Find clubs which you can hit and manipulate from 125 and in to the hole.
Then work on mid irons. Many golfers will tell you a 7-iron or 8-iron is their favorite club. Many teachers have beginner golfers learn how to swing using those clubs.

Last thing is your long irons. Truth be told, if you are above a 15 handicapper you shouldn't ever be taking a 200 yard swing from the fairway. Shot dispersion is massive and probability of topped shots or wide left and right is high. Just take a 130-150 swing and then get on the green with next swing.

Long story short, your swing speed, your height, swing length and a bunch of other factors will determine the right club and shaft combination.

Also, use the same ball you use on the course when you do a fitting. Balls have a larger variance in spin and trajectory.
Yeah putting is definitely the spot where I can lower my handicap, right now everything is a 3 or 4 putt.

You are correct that the longer clubs are what I was thinking of replacing first. Definitely the driver, I honestly never even pull out my 3 wood. The 3 and 5 hybrids I have right now are my favorite clubs, and the ones I'm most consistent with.

But I think everyone is right that club fitting is the way to go first. I have a 4 and 5 iron from my cousin that's an inch longer (we're both 6'5") but no idea if I should be doing the same on my other clubs. I can't hit those irons well at all, but that's also all mental at this point

Reaction Score
The shaft is the most important part of the club. Which shaft you should use is directly related to how fast you swing the club. You can go to almost anyplace that sells clubs (even someplace like Dicks) and they can measure your swing. Once that is figured out, you can apply it to how much you want to pay and swing a few clubs until one seems comfortable.

Your irons need to be a set. Your woods can be a different set but need to be a set. Your hybrid or rescue club can be any brand and not match any of the other clubs. Your putter can be any brand and not match any of the other clubs.

Reaction Score
Yeah putting is definitely the spot where I can lower my handicap, right now everything is a 3 or 4 putt.

You are correct that the longer clubs are what I was thinking of replacing first. Definitely the driver, I honestly never even pull out my 3 wood. The 3 and 5 hybrids I have right now are my favorite clubs, and the ones I'm most consistent with.

But I think everyone is right that club fitting is the way to go first. I have a 4 and 5 iron from my cousin that's an inch longer (we're both 6'5") but no idea if I should be doing the same on my other clubs. I can't hit those irons well at all, but that's also all mental at this point
I'm 6'4", but my arms are long so I only was recommended for a 1/2" extension. I could have gotten away with no extension at all.

I wouldn't spend too much money on clubs in the beginning. If your current driver is an old one then certainly upgrade that, and buying slightly used or last year's model can help save money. I suggest spending your money on improving your game and not equipment. Lessons or swing analysis will help most IMO. Get to know your swing. Buy yourself a driving range membership or gift card. Once you get your swing in a good place, then spend the money on equipment that's maximized for your swing and can help you.

That's all assuming you have a budget. If you're loaded, then go for all of it!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

At 6'5" you definitely want a monitor to evaluate your swing. Off the shelf clubs aren't designed for someone that height. And simply putting a plug in to lengthen the club an inch or two is no longer the only or best solution. They also aren't built for someone 5'7" who used to take a hacksaw to the shaft. The thing with shafts which has changed so much over the past decade, is it is not only the weight and overall flex but the kick point or flex point. With a taller body the point you want a club to flex is different than someone who is several inches shorter. And that whipping motion is where you are transferring all the power from your body to the club head.

As for your clubs, if you like the 3 and 5 hybrids, I'd ditch your 4 and 5 iron. Long irons are the hardest clubs to master. Put 4 or 5 wedges in your bag so you can really hit any shot inside of 150 with a full swing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

If you focus on the driver. One thing you can do is borrow friends drivers. See how you do. You can usually test them at a Dicks Sporting Goods. Then go on EBay and buy a gently used one. So many people haven't matched the shaft kick and loft of the driver to their swing.

For the other clubs? Assuming your basic set was game improvement style clubs, new ones aren't going to make a difference until you are pretty good.

The three clubs to focus on in no order. 1 Driver, 2. putter 3 sand wedge You can also test putters all day long at a golf shop. It can make a big difference if you're better with blades or mallets or center shaft vs offset etc. With wedges the issue is "bounce". Some people take a natural divot and some kind of skim the grass. I struggled until I realized I had the wrong wedges. I use the same Vokey wedge Tiger uses, but it's quite rare because most people need something different. I recommend the Titleist Vokey wedges because they are the most customizable to your swing.

Reaction Score

6’5” is going to kick you out of standard lengths likely so agree with everyone else’s suggestions. You can get the fitting, find your specs, and go buy used if you want.

On the 3 wood, that’s not a club I’d recommend for most newer players. Generally a 5-wood is going to be much easier to consistently hit (more loft, shorter shaft) and is the better choice for MOST newer players.

Reaction Score
At 6'5" you definitely want a monitor to evaluate your swing. Off the shelf clubs aren't designed for someone that height. And simply putting a plug in to lengthen the club an inch or two is no longer the only or best solution. They also aren't built for someone 5'7" who used to take a hacksaw to the shaft. The thing with shafts which has changed so much over the past decade, is it is not only the weight and overall flex but the kick point or flex point. With a taller body the point you want a club to flex is different than someone who is several inches shorter. And that whipping motion is where you are transferring all the power from your body to the club head.

As for your clubs, if you like the 3 and 5 hybrids, I'd ditch your 4 and 5 iron. Long irons are the hardest clubs to master. Put 4 or 5 wedges in your bag so you can really hit any shot inside of 150 with a full swing.
Very helpful, I've been thinking of ditching those clubs so I think that's the move. Have a pitching wedge, sand wedge, and a 60 degree wedge right now that I use a lot

If you focus on the driver. One thing you can do is borrow friends drivers. See how you do. You can usually test them at a Dicks Sporting Goods. Then go on EBay and buy a gently used one. So many people haven't matched the shaft kick and loft of the driver to their swing.

For the other clubs? Assuming your basic set was game improvement style clubs, new ones aren't going to make a difference until you are pretty good.

The three clubs to focus on in no order. 1 Driver, 2. putter 3 sand wedge You can also test putters all day long at a golf shop. It can make a big difference if you're better with blades or mallets or center shaft vs offset etc. With wedges the issue is "bounce". Some people take a natural divot and some kind of skim the grass. I struggled until I realized I had the wrong wedges. I use the same Vokey wedge Tiger uses, but it's quite rare because most people need something different. I recommend the Titleist Vokey wedges because they are the most customizable to your swing.
I'm gonna have to check out the Vokey some more. My fiancée has one and swears by it. I took a couple of swings with it and it seemed solid. Of course she's a righty and I'm a lefty so it's hard to say. Which is another reason I may have to find a golf shop over Dick's, as if the height wasn't enough of a hindrance I'm also a lefty. Which leaves me about 3 clubs to test out when I go to Dick's

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Very helpful, I've been thinking of ditching those clubs so I think that's the move. Have a pitching wedge, sand wedge, and a 60 degree wedge right now that I use a lot

I'm gonna have to check out the Vokey some more. My fiancée has one and swears by it. I took a couple of swings with it and it seemed solid. Of course she's a righty and I'm a lefty so it's hard to say. Which is another reason I may have to find a golf shop over Dick's, as if the height wasn't enough of a hindrance I'm also a lefty. Which leaves me about 3 clubs to test out when I go to Dick's
They aren't any better than any other wedge, but the key is knowing your swing and picking the right one.

I ended up with an M grind 56 degree sand wedge for my more sweeping swing. Made a huge difference. I would tend to blade it over the green with my old wedge, which we designed for people who take a deep divot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You need a 1 iron.

You will see an immediate difference, as will everyone around you.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yep. As a lefty there I haven't ever come across a situation where being left-handed was advantageous when looking for clubs.

Reaction Score
Last thing is your long irons. Truth be told, if you are above a 15 handicapper you shouldn't ever be taking a 200 yard swing from the fairway.
Unless that is as far as your drives take you. Truth be told, if I'm 200 out, I really don't have a club that will reach (that I can count on) anyway.
100% accurate. It's complicated. That's why it's a 4-letter word.
Huge difference in golf balls available these days. I'm finding I prefer ones that stay on the green if I'm lucky enough to hit it there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not with long irons, no. But I'm above a 15 (mostly because I don't play often enough) and I can hit my 3 hybrid about 200-205 and it's more reliably straight than even my 100 yard wedge shots. So I take a lot of 200 yard swings from the fairway on reachable par 5s or long 4s. Hazards are the only reason I'd lay up. I'm a bad golfer but those shots are responsible for most of my birdies and pars (and occasionally a rare eagle).

Back to clubs, I've replaced my driver, 3 wood, 3-4 hybrid, putter and short wedges over the years, but I've still got my Taylor Made R7 Irons from 2009. Evidently those irons are still massively popular on the used market. So for @Navery, I think the same probably holds. The benefit from improving clubs is felt least in the P-4/5 irons. Don't spend your money there, because if you actually get good, you could benefit from a different style of iron altogether.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not looking to go crazy or win the Masters, just lots of golf with friends.
Realistic parameters, though you may succeed with only two of them.
Hold it high if lightning is near.
It's good to see that this advice remains timeless while much else has changed.

For years, I held on to my clubs 'just in case' I might accept an invitation into an increasingly rare 'just right' playing situation.

When I began downsizing 5 years ago, my sister - an active, accomplished, regionally competitive super senior - laughed at my aged clubs and told me to get rid of them. They were donated to a non-profit she supports.

More kindly, she said that I could easily buy used clubs well if I ever decided that I wanted to play again. I've never looked back.

Good ask and answers in the thread. I chuckle that 6'5" lefty came up so late, but the major principles got addressed well. Good luck.

Reaction Score
The shaft is the most important part of the club. Which shaft you should use is directly related to how fast you swing the club. You can go to almost anyplace that sells clubs (even someplace like Dicks) and they can measure your swing. Once that is figured out, you can apply it to how much you want to pay and swing a few clubs until one seems comfortable.

Your irons need to be a set. Your woods can be a different set but need to be a set. Your hybrid or rescue club can be any brand and not match any of the other clubs. Your putter can be any brand and not match any of the other clubs.
Get graphite shafts- lighter and look cool too! I like Taylormade clubs but there are so many quality club makers out there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom