OT: - Golf club fitting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf club fitting

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I've had my Cobra irons for just about 10 years, and I recently started playing more often so I think it's time to invest in some new clubs. My old set wasn't fitted, and I really have a hard time being consistent with my 4i-6i. Anyone have any experience with fittings at Chris Cote's, Great Brook Sports (their website says they offer club fittings, but it looks like a crappy driving range lol), or Greenwich Golf, etc?

Also, has anyone made the move to single length irons? I can hit my 7,8,9, and wedges well..but the longer shafts with my 4-6 really mess with my swing/stance. I don't care if I lose distance by shortening my long irons, I'd rather just be able to hit them straighter and more consistently.
Yes definitely get your swing somewhat repeatable before getting the fitted clubs. I do recommend the fitting because the least you will get is better confidence and that alone will improve your game. Do not forget the putter fitting. It's the most important club in the bag and a lot of guys miss putts because of an incorrect putter. I know 4 guys who just spent over $300 each on putters and the only decision point they had was the shape of the head. Now they don't putt any better but they sure flash those Scotty Cameron putter covers. :rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes definitely get your swing somewhat repeatable before getting the fitted clubs. I do recommend the fitting because the least you will get is better confidence and that alone will improve your game. Do not forget the putter fitting. It's the most important club in the bag and a lot of guys miss putts because of an incorrect putter. I know 4 guys who just spent over $300 each on putters and the only decision point they had was the shape of the head. Now they don't putt any better but they sure flash those Scotty Cameron putter covers. :rolleyes:

Putter fitting? I went to my local place on a rainy day and just used their putting green for like 2 hours before picking my Odyssey. It matters a lot. But I am not sure anybody can help you with it. I was awful with every mallet putter.

Reaction Score
Putter fitting? I went to my local place on a rainy day and just used their putting green for like 2 hours before picking my Odyssey. It matters a lot. But I am not sure anybody can help you with it. I was awful with every mallet putter.
Mallets are face-balanced. For straight back, straight thru putting. Maybe you need an arc putter, like a Ping Anser or any of the 100s of like putters. They are meant to deliver the hit thru an arc like swing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tried to get a fitting years ago and they said my swing was so inconsistent it wasn’t worth it. I’m sure it still is. I ended up with R7 irons in 2008 and they are fine, except they have steel shafts. Have any of you older guys found a significant difference in impact on your back or strain overall from graphite vs steel? That’s the only reason I’d upgrade.
Graphite does make a difference. Usually lighter, faster swing=more distance. If your back is a problem, it may not be the clubs as much as your swing.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You were probably awful with the mallets because you have an arc putting stroke. Now how much arc is the issue and that is where toe hang comes into play. If you tend to miss putts on one side, checking toe hang could fix that. If you tend to miss about the same on the left and the right then it's not the arrow, it's the Indian (Lee Trevino).

Reaction Score
surprisingly, my short game is my only redeeming quality. My putter is probably almost 15 years old, I never want to change it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mallets are face-balanced. For straight back, straight thru putting. Maybe you need an arc putter, like a Ping Anser or any of the 100s of like putters. They are meant to deliver the hit thru an arc like swing.
You were probably awful with the mallets because you have an arc putting stroke. Now how much arc is the issue and that is where toe hang comes into play. If you tend to miss putts on one side, checking toe hang could fix that. If you tend to miss about the same on the left and the right then it's not the arrow, it's the Indian (Lee Trevino).

I have an Odyssey White Ice 6. Love it. The only putter I liked as much was a Teardrop RollFace that I gave away because the shaft was too short. Learned on an old Titleist blade so I probably have some arc.

2E91F971-3AEC-40FD-8EBD-F90FA323CD92.jpeg

Reaction Score
I have an Odyssey White Ice 6. Love it. The only putter I liked as much was a Teardrop RollFace that I gave away because the shaft was too short. Learned on an old Titleist blade so I probably have some arc.

View attachment 67693
Just balance the putter on your fingers, wherever on the shaft you need to let it balance, and note where the putter face points. Straight up is face balanced, around a 45* is arc balanced. Your Odyssey is arc balanced.
Also, if the shaft is too short you can simply add an extension under a new grip. I have even used 3/8” wooden dowels to add some length. They also make graphite and steel sections to be more authentic.

Reaction Score
I was fitted recently for the new Ping710 irons, I am hitting each club about 10 yards farther then I used to.
Those look very nice. Are you also a fellow high handicapper?

Reaction Score
Tried to get a fitting years ago and they said my swing was so inconsistent it wasn’t worth it. I’m sure it still is. I ended up with R7 irons in 2008 and they are fine, except they have steel shafts. Have any of you older guys found a significant difference in impact on your back or strain overall from graphite vs steel? That’s the only reason I’d upgrade.

I got new irons and clubs with graphite. Much kinder less vibration on your hands than steel.

Reaction Score
I was fitted recently for the new Ping710 irons, I am hitting each club about 10 yards farther then I used to.
Why 710 vs 425 model? Curious. Considering 710s

Reaction Score
surprisingly, my short game is my only redeeming quality. My putter is probably almost 15 years old, I never want to change it.

Same here. I have the same putter that I got with my starter set over 30 years ago. Looks like a mini-golf putter. [Humble-brag] I out-putt 90%+ of the random people I get paired with, most of whom likely have $100-300+ putters with all the crazy mods/adjustments being talked about in this thread. I know it drives them crazy and I love it.

Reaction Score
Just balance the putter on your fingers, wherever on the shaft you need to let it balance, and note where the putter face points. Straight up is face balanced, around a 45* is arc balanced. Your Odyssey is arc balanced.
Also, if the shaft is too short you can simply add an extension under a new grip. I have even used 3/8” wooden dowels to add some length. They also make graphite and steel sections to be more authentic.

Nothing but center shafted mallets for me. Love the straight back and forward while being over the ball even more due to the center shaft. Have four different putters 2 Odyssey and 2 T-Ms but really have stayed with the Taylor Ardmore Red the longest. Great feel and very consistent for me. Center shafts not for everyone but if you haven't tried it and have trouble putting give it a run, it allows what I deem to be a better look from above the ball.

Reaction Score
So if you have a toe hang/arc balanced putter and you attempt to stroke ball straight back and forward. .What will the miss tendency be? Assumes your line and speed are good.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Nothing but center shafted mallets for me. Love the straight back and forward while being over the ball even more due to the center shaft. Have four different putters 2 Odyssey and 2 T-Ms but really have stayed with the Taylor Ardmore Red the longest. Great feel and very consistent for me. Center shafts not for everyone but if you haven't tried it and have trouble putting give it a run, it allows what I deem to be a better look from above the ball.
I have almost every type known to man. Still searching. Using an old, old Ping Anser. Best feedback so far. I made the mistake of trying a fat grip on my old Bullseye. Going to put a more original back on and give it another run. Always had good feel with it.

Reaction Score
I have almost every type known to man. Still searching. Using an old, old Ping Anser. Best feedback so far. I made the mistake of trying a fat grip on my old Bullseye. Going to put a more original back on and give it another run. Always had good feel with it.

Tried one of the Super Stroke fat grips awful feel (or no feel) for me I know what you mean 68!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I had a Ping Anser Karsten from a while back and I lent it to my uncle. Someone stole it out of his bag. I've been struggling with finding the right putter ever since. Going from putter to putter. Scotty, Ping, Bettanardi and now back to Scotty.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tried one of the Super Stroke fat grips awful feel (or no feel) for me I know what you mean 68!

I got a larger grip, but not as big as those. It's flat on the front/top, which helps me avoid face twisting. I really like it. I think we've uncovered that putting is very individual and we all need to find out what works. I find the big mallet putters have terrible feel, I can't get the distance/pace right with those.

Reaction Score
Has anyone taken a lesson at Foxwood's Lake of Isles? I've got one scheduled for next week. I've played there once before and it was extremely nice so I'm assuming their instructor quality will be top class as well

Reaction Score
First time I tried one, I didn't even consider counterweighting... and couldn't feel anything. I have a few smaller, lighter weight Super Strokes, just in case I fall off the wagon. All those pros must be on to something, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom