Glen Miller New London Day article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Glen Miller New London Day article

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He ratted Ollie out because he was fired, not because of a nagging conscience. If he'd come forward without the motive of revenge I would respect him. I still wouldn't like the results, but I'd not have an axe to grind with him.

Reaction Score
Always hated that Scorsese felt the need to bash us over the head with the rat on the balcony railing at the end of The Departed.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Only casual fans don’t like Glen Miller
Some people just don’t like rats.
You mean besides the part where he called the NCAA and told them that Ollie was paying players?
The fact Calhoun respects him and welcomed him back with open arms tells you all you need to know. Sometimes you need to get a little dirty to clean the problem.

Reaction Score
He ratted Ollie out because he was fired, not because of a nagging conscience. If he'd come forward without the motive of revenge I would respect him. I still wouldn't like the results, but I'd not have an axe to grind with him.
So can you tell me why KO fired GM?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The fact Calhoun respects him and welcomed him back with open arms tells you all you need to know. Sometimes you need to get a little dirty to clean the problem.

It sure does say a lot about a lot of people.

Reaction Score
So can you tell me why KO fired GM?

So he could surround himself with a bunch of guys exactly like himself, apparently. That was the most underwhelming coaching staff I have ever seen.

He went from having DECADES of head coaching experience at his side in Blaney, Hobbs, and Miller to a crew that was every bit as clueless as he was.

Reaction Score
1548117978890.png

Reaction Score
I always figured Miller was fired for the same reason offensive and defensive coordinators are often fired. The head coach’s seat is warming up or hot and the head coach has to throw someone under the bus to save his job or at least give him more time. I may be wrong but that’s how it looked to me anyway.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Totally unrelated to the Miller piece, but in the list of other articles to read on the Day page that came up, was this one...
According to ESPN, Google and somebody-or-other's grandmother, UConn's on the verge of cutting sports budgets. Well, I think we have a place to start. Who even knew there was such a thing as a college sky diving team?
Old Lyme woman part of championship UConn college skydiving team
That's the spirit, never let anyone tell you a senior citizen can't compete at the highest college athletic levels.

Reaction Score
And the guy that fired him is not coaching.

The guy that fired him will eventually have a much better job than St Joes. The fact this guy ratted out his coach no matter the situation will keep him at St Joes forever unless he stops coaching.

C

Chief00

The guy that fired him will eventually have a much better job than St Joes. The fact this guy ratted out his coach no matter the situation will keep him at St Joes forever unless he stops coaching.

That is so true. In contrast, Pat Sellers did a “sabbatical” in China, kept loyal to Calhoun and landed jobs at Hofstra, Creighton, DePaul and FD. Considering Miller had no good offers after he was fired (note both Chill and Killings got good jobs), what is GM’s chance of landing a good job after the “rat act”?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
God you guys love a conspiracy. Ollie was already under investigation when the NCAA asked GM to be interviewed. He went in and told the truth as he understood it. What would expect him to do? Lie to protect the guy who fired him? This notion that Calhoun master minded his, though entertaining, is silly.

Now I will say that the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power and Glen's offering up of speculation, was needless and not productive, but I chalk Miller's actions up to a lack of familiarity with the process. It definitely wasn't a great look for Miller, but it wasn't a plot to get Ollie either.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because of the restraining order Miller got on him after he tried to get into a St. Joe's game in a rat costume.
He should have gone with the cheese hat.

C

Chief00

God you guys love a conspiracy. Ollie was already under investigation when the NCAA asked GM to be interviewed. He went in and told the truth as he understood it. What would expect him to do? Lie to protect the guy who fired him? This notion that Calhoun master minded his, though entertaining, is silly.

Now I will say that the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power and Glen's offering up of speculation, was needless and not productive, but I chalk Miller's actions up to a lack of familiarity with the process. It definitely wasn't a great look for Miller, but it wasn't a plot to get Ollie either.

Miller’s speculation was about a KO payoff to a parent. Miller was not an inexperience coach and he was familar enough with NCAA rules to know he was smearing KO. It was worse than a bad look, it was a terrible thing to do. It was all about revenge for being fired - nothing high minded. He had no first hand knowledge.
Where Chief grew up, GM checks all the boxes for being a rat.

CL82

Reaction Score
Miller’s speculation was about a KO payoff to a parent. Miller was not an inexperience coach and he was familiar enough with NCAA rules to know he was smearing KO. It was worse than a bad look, it was a terrible thing to do. It was all about revenge for being fired - nothing high minded. He had no first hand knowledge.
Where Chief grew up, GM checks all the boxes for being a rat.
Yeah, I'm sure he was asked an open ended is there anything more type of question and he offered it up. Since it wasn't firsthand knowledge he could have kept quiet but again I suspect that that is more not understanding the nuances of testimony. I will agree with you Chief, that Glen seems a bit too enthusiastic to tell what he knows.

Reaction Score

Why would you "chalk it up to a lack of familiarity with the process"? Seems just as likely (or even more likely) he put out the speculation to harm Ollie. So a guy who has been coaching under NCAA guidelines for umpteen years is clueless on the process related to being interviewed by NCAA staff? I'll chalk that up as "unlikely".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom