Glad they listened | The Boneyard

Glad they listened

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's obvious that the coaching staff reads the Boneyard and takes our criticisms and recommendations seriously. After taking a beating for wasting Dolson in the ND game, assistant coach Marisa Moseley (Geno stand in?) publicly admitted their mistake before tonight's game. Stopping just short of an apology, she (Geno again?) promised disappointed fans that Dolson would spend more time in the low post where she is so effective.

:D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's obvious that the coaching staff reads the Boneyard and takes our criticisms and recommendations seriously. After taking a beating for wasting Dolson in the ND game, assistant coach Marisa Moseley (Geno stand in?) publicly admitted their mistake before tonight's game. Stopping just short of an apology, she (Geno again?) promised disappointed fans that Dolson would spend more time in the low post where she is so effective.:D
Maybe they listened to the broadcast announcers too cuz they were going on and on about it last game...

Reaction Score
It's obvious that the coaching staff reads the Boneyard and takes our criticisms and recommendations seriously. After taking a beating for wasting Dolson in the ND game, assistant coach Marisa Moseley (Geno stand in?) publicly admitted their mistake before tonight's game. Stopping just short of an apology, she (Geno again?) promised disappointed fans that Dolson would spend more time in the low post where she is so effective.

You're not serious are you ?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You're not serious are you ?

I wondered how long it would take.

Of course I'm serious. I take great care in posting my comments on the Boneyard because I know the coaches read them and Geno himself has mentioned many times how much he looks forward to the good advice he gets from the knowledgeable fans here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno himself has mentioned many times how much he looks forward to the good advice he gets from the knowledgeable fans here.
All two of them.....

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
All two of them.....

Yet another syntactical misfire. Suggest "Both. . ." instead of the wordy "All two. . ."

Also your exaggeration (two experts?) could be a violation of Boneyard rules and justify punitive action by our mods.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Yet another syntactical misfire. Suggest "Both. . ." instead of the wordy "All two. . ."

Also your exaggeration is surely a violation of Boneyard rules and justifies deletion.
I disagree. "All two" has the proper satirical emphasis that was intended in the message. I think that Nan is incorrect however. "All one of them" would have been more accurate, but still an exaggeration.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the coaches give a hoot about what is posted but I do agree that Dolson's effectiveness is greater in the low post and she herself has said that in practice after the G'town game the team did extensive drills in getting her the ball in the low post. See blog in the register

Reaction Score
Absolutely need a low post force against the best teams.
We can play any style against the rest.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know if the coaches give a hoot about what is posted but I do agree that Dolson's effectiveness is greater in the low post and she herself has said that in practice after the G'town game the team did extensive drills in getting her the ball in the low post. See blog in the register
While it should be pointed out that Marquette didn't have the type of personnel that could keep Dolson from getting position down low, it still was pleasing for Auriemma to see that less than a third of the field-goal attempts came from 3-point range.

Notre Dame and Georgetown both play a physical defense, something Marquette doesn't have the personnel to do. It's not always that Dolson doesn't want to play in the low post; it's that she hasn't always been able to do so.

Reaction Score

Dolson was really good but I wouldnt get to excited. Stewart didn't play. Let's see how much they listened when both are in the line-up

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If the coaching staff wanted Dolson to play in the low post, that's where she would play. It's that simple. When teams double and triple her down low that means there is somebody open outside the paint. That makes her effective even if she isn't scoring.

In the Notre Dame game, Dolson was nothing more than a tall guard hanging out at the top of the key.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Ah, c'mon vtc - Stef's line for ND was 40 minutes, 17 points, 8 boards, 6 assists. To refer to that body of work as "nothing more than a tall guard hanging out at the top of the key" is remarkably derogatory. (I avoided other terms than derogatory).

It's that sort of comment that, speaking for myself, leads to snarky replies, and, off we go on a flame war. Why do so many of us look for the negative, and, have to add that one last shot? Again, speaking for myself, that's what's gotten me into a couple of these unattractive brou-ha-ha's lately. I just bothers me that so many of us seem to find empowerment by identifying something negative, and - often, in my humble opinion - significantly exaggerating the extent/impact of that perceived negative.

Okay, off the soapbox - for now, anyway.:rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ah, c'mon vtc - Stef's line for ND was 40 minutes, 17 points, 8 boards, 6 assists. To refer to that body of work as "nothing more than a tall guard hanging out at the top of the key" is remarkably derogatory. (I avoided other terms than derogatory).

It's that sort of comment that, speaking for myself, leads to snarky replies, and, off we go on a flame war. Why do so many of us look for the negative, and, have to add that one last shot? Again, speaking for myself, that's what's gotten me into a couple of these unattractive brou-ha-ha's lately. I just bothers me that so many of us seem to find empowerment by identifying something negative, and - often, in my humble opinion - significantly exaggerating the extent/impact of that perceived negative.

Okay, off the soapbox - for now, anyway.:rolleyes:

I don't know how to respond to this except to say that maybe you are reading something that isn't there or maybe you're taking offense where there was none.
It wasn't intended to be derogatory and it wasn't intended to start any sort of flame war. It was simply a comment on where she spent her time. Dolson was playing where she was told to play. As I posted before in another thread - it had absolutely nothing to do with Dolson and everything to do with a coaching decision. A decision that's been discussed here in several threads including an obviously TIC one that I posted earlier that you probably took seriously.

Reaction Score
While it should be pointed out that Marquette didn't have the type of personnel that could keep Dolson from getting position down low, it still was pleasing for Auriemma to see that less than a third of the field-goal attempts came from 3-point range.

Notre Dame and Georgetown both play a physical defense, something Marquette doesn't have the personnel to do. It's not always that Dolson doesn't want to play in the low post; it's that she hasn't always been able to do so.
This is exactly the reason that many people feel we as a team need her in the low post. Perhaps when the refs open their eyes they will see she is getting mugged and call some fouls. Also at the big dance there won't be a team left at the and who won't be banging her hard and trying to shut off the inside play which also shuts down in/out play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

This is exactly the reason that many people feel we as a team need her in the low post. Perhaps when the refs open their eyes they will see she is getting mugged and call some fouls. Also at the big dance there won't be a team left at the and who won't be banging her hard and trying to shut off the inside play which also shuts down in/out play.
If they call the fouls made by Stef's defenders, they're going to have to call Stef's fouls, too.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I don't know how to respond to this except to say that maybe you are reading something that isn't there or maybe you're taking offense where there was none.
It wasn't intended to be derogatory and it wasn't intended to start any sort of flame war. It was simply a comment on where she spent her time. Dolson was playing where she was told to play. As I posted before in another thread - it had absolutely nothing to do with Dolson and everything to do with a coaching decision. A decision that's been discussed here in several threads including an obviously TIC one that I posted earlier that you probably took seriously.

Nah, I knew the earlier posts were firmly TIC, and I completely agree that Dolson was playing where she was told to play. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been in there for 40 minutes. My objection was the last sentence, which, I took (obviously) as being a bit of a shot at a player who had a very productive game, and was doing what she was told. I know now that's not how you meant it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If they call the fouls made by Stef's defenders, they're going to have to call Stef's fouls, too.

Did you see the low shoulder block that she put on her Marquette defender? It was off the ball and nothing was called -but it was definitely a foul. An offensive line coach would have been proud.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I just don't understand where you are coming from. Are you saying that no matter what Dolson should plant herself in the low post and we should hope that the refs call fouls?

In regards to your last sentence, what do you propose they do?

Reaction Score
I believe what I said is clear. I never said plant but practice against practice players to be able to score regardless of being mugged in the low post and that the refs wouldn't allow her to get mugged. Practice makes perfect and the more she practices in the low post when it is packed in at practice it could prepare her to deal in the really tight and challenging games.
I just don't understand where you are coming from. Are you saying that no matter what Dolson should plant herself in the low post and we should hope that the refs call fouls?

In regards to your last sentence, what do you propose they do?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe what I said is clear. I never said plant but practice against practice players to be able to score regardless of being mugged in the low post and that the refs wouldn't allow her to get mugged. Practice makes perfect and the more she practices in the low post when it is packed in at practice it could prepare her to deal in the really tight and challenging games.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but Geno has his team practice against male practice players. I'm not sure what else you expect her to do. Also, regarding the refs, she has absolutely no control over how the refs call the game. I don't know what you expect her to do about the ref calls.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

No, it's not clear.

I'm curious if you go to practices. If you know for a fact that she doesn't practice scoring in the low post against the male players?? I'm pretty sure they do and if I have to guess, Geno has them banging Dolson pretty good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know if the coaches give a hoot about what is posted
I haven't talked to them, but I'd be more than willing to bet your life, they don't. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom