give them one year only.... | The Boneyard

give them one year only....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No this is not another anti basketball post but a conference thread. Yale loss sucked but that is a short term issue.

If it is true that Cincinnati and memphis are leaving the aac then uconn needs to find a new conference. RU, ville, cuse, etc made it happened.. This will tank the program in the long run if it is not adressed. If this AD and prez can not make it happen then we need to find someone who can. One year. There are major changes needed in the football program.

The AD has done a good job of getting into different tournaments which is nice. But at best a band aid.

Reaction Score
What exactly do you want them to do? Herbst has done a great job so far during her tenure at UConn. Proud to have her at the helm.

Wanna fire Warde? Fine, I guess. But I don't know what he can really do differently. He's been solid, if unspectacular. They're not gonna invite one of the worst football teams in the FBS to join a power conference. Especially not when our basketball team is losing at home to Yale.

Reaction Score
No ...but we are in critical moment. Go back I have always said we are in danger. ..

It's a nightmare situation we're in no doubt about it, but we can't exactly drop football and join the BE. We deserve so much better, but all we can really do is pray Warde is doing more than monitoring

Reaction Score
What exactly do you want them to do? Herbst has done a great job so far during her tenure at UConn. Proud to have her at the helm.

Wanna fire Warde? Fine, I guess. But I don't know what he can really do differently. He's been solid, if unspectacular. They're not gonna invite one of the worst football teams in the FBS to join a power conference. Especially not when our basketball team is losing at home to Yale.

Your question is odd. It is like asking a pediatrician how to design a bridge. It is not my field of study. I have no clue what needs to be done. But others do. I want them to do what ville cuse Cincinnati Memphis and RU AD/Prez figured out.

Reaction Score
Your question is odd. It is like asking a pediatrician how to design a bridge. It is not my field of study. I have no clue what needs to be done. But others do. I want them to do what ville cuse Cincinnati Memphis and RU AD/Prez figured out.
Oh, so then you want them to figure out how to win football games. There's no grand secret here. Win football games and you'll get a lifeboat. They already hired Bob Diaco. That decision has been made and he's getting at least one, probably 2 more years to show if he knows what he's doing.

Even if they fired Warde and Herbst, Diaco is the guy that will determine whether or not we stay in this conference

Reaction Score
Oh, so then you want them to figure out how to win football games. There's no grand secret here. Win football games and you'll get a lifeboat. They already hired Bob Diaco. That decision has been made and he's getting at least one, probably 2 more years to show if he knows what he's doing.

Even if they fired Warde and Herbst, Diaco is the guy that will determine whether or not we stay in this conference

Memphis football has not won more then four wins in a year since I think 2007....

Again I do not have the answer. But the man sailing the ship only real administrative experience is six years at university of Buffalo. Not sure he has the eexperience need. I did not say fire anyone today. But what we are doing is not working

Reaction Score

While winning football games might be what UConn needs to do now, don't forget that UConn was doing better at football than Pitt and Syracuse when the decisions came down. And heck, UConn beat a ranked Ville team and won the national championship in bball when the Ville decision came down.

It's always something with UConn.

Regardless, if UConn could be in a better conference, it would.

If UConn would give up football and all hope of making $25m a year in TV money, then that's the kiind of decision people here increasingly want them to make.

But to make such a call after a loss to Yale seems like panic.

Here's my question: "if you woke up tomorrow morning and learned that UConn had abandoned football, joined the BE, and would be making $4m a year (if it were lucky) in perpetuity, while Syracuse and BC were making $25m, would that make you feel more positive about UConn's future, or worse?"

If I woke up to that, I'd be feeling more dread than I already feel.

Reaction Score
Upstate this is not about the yale loss. I said in the 1st paragraph about Memphis and ciny . I am not sure uconn has the leadership to lead us to a better home. My reasoning is that the acc and the b10 are signing worse school then uconn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think the Memphis and Cincy rumors are true.

If they are, we're no longer in a lot of trouble, we're in all the trouble.

Honestly, there won't be much left to be done at that point - the ACC and Big Ten are not expanding any time soon.

Reaction Score
Negatives: No on campus football facility. Sorry, a football field on an old airstrip, next to Cabella's in East Hartford IS NOT an "on campus" facility.
Second home for basketball is in a rundown old mall. A second roof collapse would solve a lot problems.
Fits and starts in the football program. I am still willing to give Diacco a chance, lets face it, he has to clean up the mess that was PP, and the previous football administration. However, as was mentioned by Fishy, in his post;
"I don't think the Memphis and Cincy rumors are true. If they are, we're no longer in a lot of trouble, we're in all the trouble." Not only football, but basketball as well. He is right on about this. Living in another dying conference will only make things worse, in all aspects, like trying to retain a good coach, recruiting, etc.

Positives: 3 positive coaches. Diacco, KO, and Geno.
A positive President,
A "relatively" positive AD.

What to do, what to do? Hope and pray that the football program will improve? Talk to me in about 2 or 3 years. However, if the rumor is true, and Cincy and Memphis do bolt, then we are back in the same position we were in a few years ago. Fishy is right, the ACC and Big Ten are not expanding, and the SEC? Really? I don't see that ever happening.

Reaction Score
Simple business analogy. If your pitchman is not landing the accounts then you get a new pitchman. They are the ones selling the uconn brand if they can not do it then we need ssomeone who can or make changes.

Cuse football was/is so so, Memphis football is terrible

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
No ...but we are in critical moment. Go back I have always said we are in danger. ..
and, I for one, appreciate your vigilance.
danger-will-robinson3.jpeg

Reaction Score
This is one sorry ass day in husky nation and nobody at the football game. Trail SMU. 6-0 early and don't seem interested in playing this game. All of us waking up this morning knew this day was gonna suck and reading some of the posts today is freaking torture. Ok salvage the day and win the damm. Football game and the sun will come up tomorrow and it's time for an attitude adjustment so bring on Johnny (my hero) WALKER.

Reaction Score
Simple business analogy. If your pitchman is not landing the accounts then you get a new pitchman. They are the ones selling the uconn brand if they can not do it then we need ssomeone who can or make changes.

Cuse football was/is so so, Memphis football is terrible

Or there's bad timing. There is such a thing as bad timing. Like the Pasqualoni hiring. Like BC opposing you when you are on top of your game. Like the lack of having any AD at all when all of this was going down. Like having a new president take over when this stuff was going down. Like going up against a school that sucked at football for 4 years straight, only to have a spot open for them the first year they got it together for football.

Lots of bad timing. Also a lot of clubby relationships between the Ville AD and the ACC, but he was in that role for eons. How long was UConn's AD in that role?

Reaction Score
Lots of bad timing. Also a lot of clubby relationships between the Ville AD and the ACC, but he was in that role for eons. How long was UConn's AD in that role?

who cares. it is his job... bad luck is an excuse...then do not hire someone from the MAC with limited experience.

Reaction Score
who cares. it is his job... bad luck is an excuse...then do not hire someone from the MAC with limited experience.

What's his job? To work for UConn before he's hired? When did he step on campus? Prior to the 2012 school year. When did the expansion go down? Fall of 2012. He was not working to get UConn in the ACC prior to that because he was NOT working for UConn! How difficult is this to understand. He didn't even hire Pasqualoni.

Far be it from me to defend Manuel, since I have been very critical in the past, esp. in relation to Ollie's contract, but come on--the guy wasn't even working at UConn prior to the 2012-2013 year.

Reaction Score
What's his job? To work for UConn before he's hired? When did he step on campus? Prior to the 2012 school year. When did the expansion go down? Fall of 2012. He was not working to get UConn in the ACC prior to that because he was NOT working for UConn! How difficult is this to understand. He didn't even hire Pasqualoni.

Far be it from me to defend Manuel, since I have been very critical in the past, esp. in relation to Ollie's contract, but come on--the guy wasn't even working at UConn prior to the 2012-2013 year.

Dam that is a good points. I always think he came in a year earlier

Reaction Score
I say if the ACC isn't an option go back to the Big East. We have a ton of local rivalries, history, and at least a good Basketball conference (i think like 5 0r 6 are in the top 100 rpi) . Let football go independent. UConn is a basketball school. It will never be a football school.

Reaction Score
Dam that is a good points. I always think he came in a year earlier

Herbst is the one who came in the prior year. She was first on the scene in 2011-2012. Remember her Jeremy Lamb shake dance at 2011 First Night? It would be understandable that a totally new President who has more important work to do (kowtowing to politicos in Hartford) has more on her plate than conference expansion. She assigned a lawyer in her office to that end. She was never going to have the kind of gladhandling good ole boy relationships built over decades that Jurich had. You can't really concoct a Lew Perkins out of thin air.

C

Chief00

Bingo, at one time we were comparale to these programs and now we are worse. I will be frank - Herbst has done a very poor job at CR - she is not well liked in the college Prez club - and it's a club.

Reaction Score
We know Warde is eating....lots

It's a nightmare situation we're in no doubt about it, but we can't exactly drop football and join the BE. We deserve so much better, but all we can really do is pray Warde is doing more than monitoring

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I say if the ACC isn't an option go back to the Big East. We have a ton of local rivalries, history, and at least a good Basketball conference (i think like 5 0r 6 are in the top 100 rpi) . Let football go independent. UConn is a basketball school. It will never be a football school.

Then by the time P5 fully breaks off, we're a dead school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom