Girls lose :( | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Girls lose :(

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I happened to see the 4th quarter and OT.

Geno was in full Cronin mode. Freaking out so badly up 5 that Daley was holding him back was a pretty bad sign. They certainly seemed to play to his level of tightness late.
That was a horrific call. He was right to bitch about it.

CD holding back Geno isn't anything new. Do a image search and will will find a ton over the years.

CL82

Reaction Score
Is it fair to question Geno's situational coaching and team's poise in an actual close game when it matters?

He's the greatest women's coach of all time, and is great at building a monster and throttling inferior teams. But how about when it's a 3 point game with 5 minutes left against a team that can somewhat keep up with them? He has continuously been outcoached by Muffet in close, big games.

I think it's also fair to say that UConn doesn't get much experience in grind-it-out games where ND has more experience with close games.

I'm also taking the abysmal refereeing out of this for now.
That's one way to look at it, Geno can't win close games. Another is that when Geno does lose it isn't by much. I think the latter is a more accurate description.

McGraw is a HOF coach who understands Geno's approach. She cut down on the passing lanes and forced UConn players to create for themselves. Geno is good at forcing the ball to the opposing player who he wants to try and make shots. Sometimes it hurts him. In this case a ND soph went off for 32 points. Muffet had her ready. MM deserves her COY award.

Losing in overtime, by a basket, in the final four is a pretty good season by any standard, even UConn's. I'm not so spoiled by success that I consider less than that.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
What would happen if they *gasp* lose two games in a season?
Well actually, if I was Geno I would pray to lose a game during the season. This unbeaten season has gotten no where last year and present. All for naught. How are people going to remember. UConn loses in the Final 4. So, the men's and women hit brick walls. Remember when the men and women won NCAA Championships together, not once, but twice. So we have the men can't make the playoff and the girls choke at the play offs. I like this team, sad very sad.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
That's one way to look at it, Geno can't win close games. Another is that when Geno does lose it isn't by much. I think the latter is a more accurate description.

McGraw is a HOF coach who understands Geno's approach. She cut down on the passing lanes and forced UConn players to create for themselves. Geno is good at forcing the ball to the opposing player who he wants to try and make shots. Sometimes it hurts him. In this case a ND soph went off for 32 points. Muffet had her ready. MM deserves her COY award.

Losing in overtime, by a basket, in the final four is a pretty good season by any standard, even UConn's. I'm not so spoiled by success that I consider less than that.
It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen two years in a row. Same scenario, same shot and wasn't it Gabby who was guarding the shooter last year as well as last
night?

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen two years in a row. Same scenario, same shot and wasn't it Gabby who was guarding the shooter last year as well as last
night?
Gabby last year, Collier last night.

Reaction Score
Well actually, if I was Geno I would pray to lose a game during the season.
There is a sure fire way to achieve it and it does not involve prayer. All he had to do was use his bench a lot more. In critical situations, even. The problem with that is, you risk the starters losing their edge, their mojo, continuity, etc. UConn starters, when they are on, are truly masterful and a joy to watch and Geno has said people pay to see the best product he has to offer, so there is that. Whatever he does, I am 100% all in with Geno. He has been a godsend to this University and he is human coaching humans, not robots. So you are right, there is a ton of pressure on these players, and Geno, and more realistic expectations would help.

CL82

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the seniors. Gabby and Kia are great competitors who have had great careers. Both are slated to be top 10 WNBA picks. I'm sure going out the same way (FF OT loss on last second shot) has to sting.

CL82

Reaction Score
night?
Nope 68 is right. Collier did give her a lot of cushion though. Gabby missed a short bank shot that would have won it at the end of regulation.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Nope 68 is right. Collier did give her a lot of cushion though. Gabby missed a short bank shot that would have won it at the end of regulation.

I love gabby but that was a roscoe smith shot. Absolutely no need to rush that. Take her to the hoop and go to the finals.

CL82

Reaction Score
I love gabby but that was a roscoe smith shot. Absolutely no need to rush that. Take her to the hoop and go to the finals.
Disagree. She had an open look and easy back. Sometimes they just don't go in.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

It was Kemba on McGhee-esque.

Not that Collier is that bad or defended it that poorly, but it was definitely like “uh oh, she’s goin and I don’t think Collier can hang with her.”

Reaction Score
ND looked like the better team the last 5 minutes and during OT. They had a couple girls that could get good shots pretty much whenever they wanted at the end of the game. UConn generally had much more trouble getting quality shots.

CL82

Reaction Score
She threw it up there like she had no time left. Square up and make a move, she had time. She acted like she had .5 second left, not 3.2.
Mmm, that’s tough. Easy to say after the fact. Definitely different from going full Roscoe.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah someone is really going to beat Notre Dame on GOOD FRIDAY???????????????????????
UConn has a real difficult time in tight games - nature of being so dominant throughout the year

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sadly a good number of them won’t be around period.

And the meltdown is being led by some of the same people who have meltdowns here.

There are some differences when it comes to fan bases but most fan bases are similar. I’m sure the football posters look at the men’s forum and compare their resume with ours and laugh at our inability to deal with our situation.

Not for nothing but at a normal school those are the same people.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That was a horrific call. He was right to bitch about it.

CD holding back Geno isn't anything new. Do a image search and will will find a ton over the years.

He was tight as a drum and his team played like it. The pressure of always winning does seem to be getting to him a bit.

It can’t be much fun when 165-2 or whatever they have been is treated like this.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
Mmm, that’s tough. Easy to say after the fact. Definitely different from going full Roscoe.

Watch how quickly she threw it up. Especially since there was no one under the basket so there was zero rebound opportunity

the Q

Reaction Score
It was Kemba on McGhee-esque.

Not that Collier is that bad or defended it that poorly, but it was definitely like “uh oh, she’s goin and I don’t think Collier can hang with her.”

Not really. It was a Hail Mary prayer.

Kemba was a fantastic move to get a wide open look.

Reaction Score
Geno demands perfection and when things start to go awry and he is standing there with his mouth open like it is inconceivable that this is happening, it does not help his team. If he would tolerate not being perfect in the regular season maybe he would let backup players develop their game more so there would be some help when players get in foul trouble, turn an ankle etc. Playing 6 players all game, ridiculous. On the last shot Gabby did not fight to stay with the Irish shooter. She passed her off to Collier when doubling her would have smart. All game we threw the ball to Notre Dame, gave up multiple offensive rebounds, some on the same possession, lost our man on D, and failed to drive to the hoop. Still only lost by 2. Notre Dame had better guards when it came to breaking down the D one on one. We score by passing to get our shots. Overall I think Geno is the one who has trouble with being tight and it spreads to his team.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, Genocide better change his approach to the game because he only made it to the final four two years in a row.

And my favorite, Geno has to learn how not to tighten up in big games. The guy has won more big games than anyone. Even anyone in the college boys game.

One last one. Count how many NCs UConn has with undefeated seasons.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Genocide better change his approach to the game because he only made it to the final four two years in a row.

And my favorite, Geno has to learn how not to tighten up in big games. The guy has won more big games than anyone. Even anyone in the college boys game.

One last one. Count how many NCs UConn has with undefeated seasons.

As the talent becomes more even we will see how the big games turn out. KLS could defend no one in the 4th Q and it hurt us. You need a bench at the end of the year. We played tight and were out hustled often last night. These players feel the pressure and there is no help.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing, she had a good look but just kind of flipped it up like she thought the game was over.

I was wondering if Geno would use that as a teachable moment. By no means is KLS the reason they lost. It we a team effort. You could see it was a half hearted shot since she tight time expired.

I'm sure Geno preaches 100% focus and effort at all times. You see this in Kia Nurse's in bound steal to tie it up in regulation.

KLS probably got an extra half second from the delay in starting the clock after the deflection from a 3/4 quart in bound pass. With another half second of focus and effort from your best shooter anything could have happened in double OT.

Reaction Score
As the talent becomes more even we will see how the big games turn out. KLS could defend no one in the 4th Q and it hurt us. You need a bench at the end of the year. We played tight and were out hustled often last night. These players feel the pressure and there is no help.

Yeah Geno needs to stop with his short rotations especially when one of those players on the bench is the number 1 recruit just ridiculous, Geno and his team need to watch this game and perhaps the game against MS State and self asses, what he needs to do going forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom