Gilbert | The Boneyard

Gilbert

Reaction Score
I'm concerned about his shoulder and this whole thing about ordering a better brace concerns me. The kid has been working out with a brace that apparently wasn't good enough and it makes me question the condition of his shoulder. Gilbert is the key to making this years back court look different than last years.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's a good thing that the staff is being very cautious. He is getting the best care and training possible. Dislocated shoulder is not a career ending injury.

Reaction Score
They already said they would be cautious with him early. People on this board were talking about him starting and getting major minutes at the point. I would pump the brakes on that. Let's hope he feels good and can play some productive minutes when he can and hopefully he is good health wise at some point. Hope the best for the kid and don't expect too much early. Go Huskies!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They held him out because they wanted to get a sturdier brace for his shoulder.

It’s right there in the articles about practice.

Not ‘we held him out because he was hurt’ - they ordered a better brace.

They don’t want him running into Eric Cobb until the Cobb-proof brace arrives. It’s okay.

Reaction Score
I'm concerned about his shoulder and this whole thing about ordering a better brace concerns me. The kid has been working out with a brace that apparently wasn't good enough and it makes me question the condition of his shoulder. Gilbert is the key to making this years back court look different than last years.

I hurt my shoulder playing baseball when I was 16. It's been 20+ years and two surgeries and it has never totally healed. I'm absolutely not trying to say we are doomed, but bad shoulders, sometimes, have a habit of never totally healing. We have had two guys with the issue in Pikiell and Ricky Moore.

Reaction Score
Yeah, having some flashbacks to Steve Pikiell. Hopefully they're just being very cautious, we really need Gilbert this year.
Actually we needed him more last year. At least this year we have a backup secondary ball handler
The Anderson pickup could be the best pickup of the off season.
It allows us to go slower with Gilbert recovery

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Watch as I straddle the fence here ...

Recurrent shoulder instability is tricky. One of the laws of orthopaedic surgery is that the best chance at a great result is the first chance. Having required a second procedure isn't ideal, and usually indicates a worse instability.That said, there are revision operations that can be very successful.

It's possible that they just want to be extra protective - no one wants a third surgery for this. It's also possible that there are some concerns about the stability, and the shoulder needs more constraint. Without knowing more about the original surgery, the second procedure and the anatomic problems they were dealing with I can't tell you more.

My advice: be cautiously optimistic . How's that for fence straddling?

Reaction Score
I hurt my shoulder playing baseball when I was 16. It's been 20+ years and two surgeries and it has never totally healed. I'm absolutely not trying to say we are doomed, but bad shoulders, sometimes, have a habit of never totally healing. We have had two guys with the issue in Pikiell and Ricky Moore.
I know about bad shoulders, I have 2 and one of them doesn't even look like a shoulder in a cat scan.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Watch as I straddle the fence here ...

Recurrent shoulder instability is tricky. One of the laws of orthopaedic surgery is that the best chance at a great result is the first chance. Having required a second procedure isn't ideal, and usually indicates a worse instability.That said, there are revision operations that can be very successful.

It's possible that they just want to be extra protective - no one wants a third surgery for this. It's also possible that there are some concerns about the stability, and the shoulder needs more constraint. Without knowing more about the original surgery, the second procedure and the anatomic problems they were dealing with I can't tell you more.

My advice: be cautiously optimistic . How's that for fence straddling?
Because a shoulder has such a wide range of motion, unlike a knee or elbow, is there a shoulder brace that can provide protection from dislocation without restricting necessary movements for playing a sport like basketball? I'll hang up and listen.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Because a shoulder has such a wide range of motion, unlike a knee or elbow, is there a shoulder brace that can provide protection from dislocation without restricting necessary movements for playing a sport like basketball? I'll hang up and listen.
Short answer, no.

Long answer, the most useful braces for basketball generally create tension as the shoulder moves into more dangerous positions. The muscles then have to work harder helping the shoulder stay stable. It's very different in football, where the braces often restrict the shoulder from reaching the dangerous position. But as football is a collision sport there's still significant risk of re-injury.

Reaction Score
Even if he is 100% for the opener, the big question is can he stay healthy. This is a keep your fingers crossed proposition.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Short answer, no.

Long answer, the most useful braces for basketball generally create tension as the shoulder moves into more dangerous positions. The muscles then have to work harder helping the shoulder stay stable. It's very different in football, where the braces often restrict the shoulder from reaching the dangerous position. But as football is a collision sport there's still significant risk of re-injury.
Thanks for the professional insights. As fans not much we can do but hope for the best. Though basketball is not a collision sport, a small (though strong) man driving hard into the lane where the "bigs" live can still lead to collisions.
So can diving for loose balls (like fumbles). That said, a previous comment above about the backup point in Anderson is well taken and the staff will have to look at alternate protection (as I am sure they already are) in the years to come. Wishing AG the best. Given his desire and work ethic he will do his best for sure.

Reaction Score
They held him out because they wanted to get a sturdier brace for his shoulder.

It’s right there in the articles about practice.

Not ‘we held him out because he was hurt’ - they ordered a better brace.

They don’t want him running into Eric Cobb until the Cobb-proof brace arrives. It’s okay.

I get that...but why wasn't the thing ordered and fitted in time for the first practice? They've been running pick-up for weeks.

Reaction Score
Probably a lot of brace types, with different restriction, weight and size attributes. Having played a bit with "type A" brace perhaps decided through Gilbert's comments and other professional opinions of his comments to "improve" the specific fit of his brace related to certain comments he made. Sometimes only use gives you enough info to improve the selection. Here sounds like more heavy duty, is it a practice only brace that is heavier duty with a lighter one for games? Can look at it as stupid to have to wait through 1st practice for new brace, or good that are constantly getting feedback from Gilbert and physical team to improve what he is using vs. his particular circumstances and expect them to continue to do that throughout his career. I'll worry about it being the former but hope/be fairly confident it is the latter.

Reaction Score
I have had 3 shoulder surgeries at UConn who have some of the best shoulder surgeons in the country and came back stronger each time

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The timing of their decision to order him a better brace is a little odd. And by odd I mean enraging.
I think a lot of people here are imagining ordering a brace as ordering something on Amazon Prime. This will be a super custom brace fitted perfectly to AG. Those things take time. They could have thought they'd have it by now, so there was no need to say anything. Since they haven't gotten it yet, they needed to explain the situation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Shoulders and feet - two things you'd rather not see players injure.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people here are imagining ordering a brace as ordering something on Amazon Prime. This will be a super custom brace fitted perfectly to AG. Those things take time. They could have thought they'd have it by now, so there was no need to say anything. Since they haven't gotten it yet, they needed to explain the situation.

While I admit that I did have that picture in mind, I still think this is something a high D-1 basketball program should have been able to take care of by now.

Louisville would have gotten him the brace in time, is what I'm saying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom