Gilbert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilbert

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While I admit that I did have that picture in mind, I still think this is something a high D-1 basketball program should have been able to take care of by now.

Louisville would have gotten him the brace in time, is what I'm saying.
They've shown they get things done by hook(er) or by crook(edness).

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
A proper medical staff is fully equipped to get AG the brace he needs, and UConn has one of the better Kinesiology programs in the country. This issue is one of oversight.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
A proper medical staff is fully equipped to get AG the brace he needs, and UConn has one of the better Kinesiology programs in the country. This issue is one of oversight.
It's good to know the support is there but how do you know it's an issue of oversight and not some change in the regimen for Gilbert that necessitated a reevaluation?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
It's good to know the support is there but how do you know it's an issue of oversight and not some change in the regimen for Gilbert that necessitated a reevaluation?
Because the staff, facilities and resources are all there. The kinesiology program actually has its main offices and many classes right in Gampel and the students work with the athletics teams all the time. If Gilbert's issue is actually how it is described (which if often times isn't due to a case of poor communication due to Twitter's 140 character limit) then there is really one member of the medical staff who regularly spends time with AG and must have decided the brace isn't the ideal fit. It's not really Ollie's call or any of the coaches, there is usually one person who monitors these guys for the reason of consistency.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Because the staff, facilities and resources are all there. The kinesiology program actually has its main offices and many classes right in Gampel and the students work with the athletics teams all the time. If Gilbert's issue is actually how it is described (which if often times isn't due to a case of poor communication due to Twitter's 140 character limit) then there is really one member of the medical staff who regularly spends time with AG and must have decided the brace isn't the ideal fit. It's not really Ollie's call or any of the coaches, there is usually one person who monitors these guys for the reason of consistency.
So it may be oversight or it may be some new parameter occurred and they made the call. I would seriously doubt this was oversight given how import Gilbert is to UConn's success.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
So it may be oversight or it may be some new parameter occurred and they made the call. I would seriously doubt this was oversight given how import Gilbert is to UConn's success.
By "oversight" I mean it was really a single person's final call regarding his brace, and that one person on the med staff likely waited too long to change his brace, or after a healing period he still had limited shoulder mobility and they decided he needs a more restrictive brace.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
By "oversight" I mean it was really a single person's final call regarding his brace, and that one person on the med staff likely waited too long to change his brace, or after a healing period he still had limited shoulder mobility and they decided he needs a more restrictive brace.
Waiting too long is too judgmental imo. But thanks for information. Good to know the support UConn provides.

Reaction Score
They held him out because they wanted to get a sturdier brace for his shoulder.

It’s right there in the articles about practice.

Not ‘we held him out because he was hurt’ - they ordered a better brace.

They don’t want him running into Eric Cobb until the Cobb-proof brace arrives. It’s okay.
Everything Fishy said but also,.... this first practice is designed to push individuals to their limits both physically and mentally. The rebounding drill especially is extremely physical, very contact oriented. Yes Alterique is 100% cleared to play and has been for awhile. Yes the coaching staff believes wholeheartedly in the principles of this first practice. That if a player can handle this they can handle whatever else we might throw at them and by surviving this first practice the players themselves believe this. Gilbert is a huuuuge key to a potentially very successful season and he has a documented surgically repaired shoulder, so why on Earth would the coaching staff throw him in the mosh pit with the big boys just to test how recuperated he really is, even with everything that was stated above pertaining to the importance of the first practice. What if, God forbid, he possibly re-injured himself. That would be the worst coaching decision ever. Excellent player management by the coaching staff. I am not sure how all of the above applies to Terry Larrier, but I would guess that the risks are less.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Recurrent shoulder instability is tricky. One of the laws of orthopaedic surgery is that the best chance at a great result is the first chance.
So if I read you correctly, there's not much hope of getting my 56 year old shoulder injury fixed at this point?

You know what they did for shoulder injuries in 1961? "Looks like a strained ligament. Put it in a sling for a couple weeks, and don't lift anything heavy for a while."
Now it goes into spasms when I get in my wife's car and have to reach for the rear view mirror to adjust it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This is so ridiculous. None of us are there. It's entirely possible that AG said, the day before practice, "This brace is uncomfortable." Why does everyone immediately jump to worst case scenario? That's not a fun way to live life, and not a fun way to follow amateur athletics. Y'all need to chill.

Imagine the reaction when "AG complained of discomfort. KO said practice anyway. AG injured."

Reaction Score
This is so ridiculous. None of us are there. It's entirely possible that AG said, the day before practice, "This brace is uncomfortable." Why does everyone immediately jump to worst case scenario? That's not a fun way to live life, and not a fun way to follow amateur athletics. Y'all need to chill.

Imagine the reaction when "AG complained of discomfort. KO said practice anyway. AG injured."
Article said nothing about comfort, the article said something about needing more sturdy brace which indicates something beyond typical comfort issues

Reaction Score
There is zero doubt in my mind that every UConn fan will hold his breath every time AG has a collision and goes to the floor or dives for a loose ball.
There is also zero doubt in my mind that you can't be 100%, regardless of your physiology, until you trust your body. Some guys never get that back, even if their injury heals 100%.
There is also zero doubt in my mind that this thread is chock-full of wild guessing, which is a shame - it's a young man's health and potential career - I'd think respect warrants circumspection and silence rather than speculating that his game might be compromised.
It will be or it won't be, but what we should offer is unadulterated support.
Kick , AG.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have had 3 shoulder surgeries at UConn who have some of the best shoulder surgeons in the country and came back stronger each time

Something doesn't quite compute here. I guess you started out very with suboptimal strength? And slowly progressed, injury/surgery/rehab to injury/surgery/rehab until eventually reaching normal strength? Or did you only injure it once?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
So if I read you correctly, there's not much hope of getting my 56 year old shoulder injury fixed at this point?

You know what they did for shoulder injuries in 1961? "Looks like a strained ligament. Put it in a sling for a couple weeks, and don't lift anything heavy for a while."
Now it goes into spasms when I get in my wife's car and have to reach for the rear view mirror to adjust it.
Oh, it's probably fixable. It's just that you might not like the answer for what would have to be done. :D

Reaction Score
How, mechanically, does a 'brace' help a / his shoulder? Shoulders have a wide range of motion, and 'brace' implies restricted range in exchange for for support. No?

Reaction Score
Don't care what happened. Don't care who's job it was. When the games start, win...no excuses. Until the games start, I am not going to over analyze every tidbit of information. All I can say is, the right things had better be done and we will know soon enough whether or not they have been.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Article said nothing about comfort, the article said something about needing more sturdy brace which indicates something beyond typical comfort issues
I don't even think it said more sturdy, just different.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Huskies' medical staff wants to fit him with a stronger shoulder brace before sending him out for full contact.

"We're taking it slow," coach Kevin Ollie said. "We're trying to get a sturdier brace for him. That's why he didn't practice today."

UConn Notebook: Ollie Cautious With Gilbert's Shoulder

Remember they are doing the rebounding drill will a bunch of first-year players trying to prove themselves... some amount of caution is a good thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom