Gilbert likely Returning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilbert likely Returning

Reaction Score
And KO gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, he never rested him which obviously led to some lazy passes and terrible turnovers. He needs a coach to hold him accountable for his own good, and that in turn will do wonders for the play of the overall team.

Yeah he was tired first half of every game which even admitted he had to figure out how to do a better job of jump starting himself earlier in the year. He had some first halves earlier in the year and again later on which he didn’t seem engaged that’s on him. It wasn’t ever because he was tired just had no plan. He’s really good when engaged for sure and he finished strong for the most part. Maybe a coach can help him come out strong more consistently I hope so.

Reaction Score
One of the most annoying things I constantly read on this board is people saying Jalen is not a Point Guard. If he had one big man to feed and/or one consistent shooter to kick to, he’d be averaging 8 assists a game.
Yup. People don't understand the direction the modern game has gone and think he has to be John Stockton running the pick & roll 30 times a game to be a real PG, but that's just not the case. He's so good at finding shooters in the corners, drawing the man and then waiting to hit on the lob, etc etc.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
One of the most annoying things I constantly read on this board is people saying Jalen is not a Point Guard. If he had one big man to feed and/or one consistent shooter to kick to, he’d be averaging 8 assists a game.
Yup, coming out of high school it was expected that he'd be a 2. The only problem is, the kid has never developed a consistent jumper and is little to no threat at the 3 point line. Jalen is a point guard by default. Not trying to rag on him, he does many things well to great, but his game does not reflect that of a shooting guard.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Gilbert coming back but I hope who ever the coach is next year is not going to rely on him due to his injury history. We need to have at least 5 guards on the team including Gilbert.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ready, Set:

You do know we lost to Wagner and Northeastern with him in the lineup right? I mean what proof do we have he will add anything to this team even if healthy?

Head bang

You do know we beat Oregon a year later with him in the lineup and were even with Michigan State before his season ended? And that done with a coach who was so bad he was fired a few years after winning a national championship. Just think what he might be capable of with a better (assuming AD hires someone better) coach.

Reaction Score
I'd be comfortable with AG penciled in as our fifth guard at this point. Gambling on his health and effectiveness is risky.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'd be comfortable with AG penciled in as our fifth guard at this point. Gambling on his health and effectiveness is risky.

Agreed.

which is why getting the new coach back and recruiting Akinjo is beyond vital.

There's plenty of minutes for for JA, AG, and JA2 (he's gonna need a better shorthand name for the board lol) to play together.

Reaction Score
Ready, Set:

You do know we lost to Wagner and Northeastern with him in the lineup right? I mean what proof do we have he will add anything to this team even if healthy?

Head bang
Mau you are a tool-throwing the kid under the bus in his first two college games! I suspect you are half joking but really? BTW I thought he played OK vs Wagner as I remember. The kid was a McD's AA so I think he might be a pretty good college player.

Reaction Score
We have 1 confirmed ball handler coming back then. That is still a disastrous situation. Offer this kid from Prince Tech that JC is hounding for all I care. JA and Vital can not/should not handle the ball next year if akinjo is def out
This JA is not a PG of all the stupid memes on the Boneyard is most likely the dumbest. He had a top five PG year last year with two freshman in the lineup .
Gilbert was simply not good enough at point his first year to move JA over to a position he never played and add another new player Larrier
to the mix with a grieving Purvis who was awful and losing to an experienced team should not of shocked anyone. KO loved Gilbert and I understand why, He is an amazing one on one defender and plays with enthusiasm. But that mistake in judgment hurt the team and his reputation.
The team actually played well once
Purvis got his head screwed in tight and KO found two more shooters in Jackson and Vital.
I said this a million times but KO’s other huge mistake was not picking up a point guard backup. Especially since he knew Gilbert was injured.
That eventually led to JA breaking down.

Reaction Score
This JA is not a PG of all the stupid memes on the Boneyard is most likely the dumbest. He had a top five PG year last year with two freshman in the lineup .
Gilbert was simply not good enough at point his first year to move JA over to a position he never played and add another new player Larrier
to the mix with a grieving Purvis who was awful and losing to an experienced team should not of shocked anyone. KO loved Gilbert and I understand why, He is an amazing one on one defender and plays with enthusiasm. But that mistake in judgment hurt the team and his reputation.
The team actually played well once
Purvis got his head screwed in tight and KO found two more shooters in Jackson and Vital.
I said this a million times but KO’s other huge mistake was not picking up a point guard backup. Especially since he knew Gilbert was injured.
That eventually led to JA breaking down.

I don't give a flying about the stats. You had him running the point two years in a row and finished below .500 both years. You want him to do it again next year with an even worse supporting cast? Do you enjoy losing? You get Adams off the ball to free him up. Have anyone who can limit turnovers bring it up so he can create. You will literally drive him into the ground if you have him as your main ball handler and scorer again next year. Want to know why he can't be found on any draft boards? He isn't good enough to handle both responsibilities. He shouldn't have to handle both. If the kid from Prince Tech can dribble you bring him in. Have Foxen play in the rec center instead of giving a scholly to a kid that is going to ride the pine all year and throw up gang signs every 3 out of 10 threes we hit.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't give a flying about the stats. You had him running the point two years in a row and finished below .500 both years. You want him to do it again next year with an even worse supporting cast? Do you enjoy losing? You get Adams off the ball to free him up. Have anyone who can limit turnovers bring it up so he can create. You will literally drive him into the ground if you have him as your main ball handler and scorer again next year. Want to know why he can't be found on any draft boards? He isn't good enough to handle both responsibilities. He shouldn't have to handle both. If the kid from Prince Tech can dribble you bring him in. Have Foxen play in the rec center instead of giving a scholly to a kid that is going to ride the pine all year and throw up gang signs every 3 out of 10 threes we hit.
If there is a debate whether AG can be an efficient pg because we haven't seen enough of him in that position and the team struggled at times when he was healthy, the same argument can be applied to JA as a 2G. If he had a more consistent 3pt shot then the debate might end.

This year as well as last year, JA was best when he had the ball in his hands in the half court offense. And all stats aside, JA lacked the quick first step that a point guard needs as well as that consistent 3 pt shot a combo guard needs. He was severely exposed against teams that employed efficient zones when his 3 pt shot wasn't going down. The primary reason DO got any playing time was because he had the body to allow picks for Jalen to get into the lane.

With that said Jalen is a super talent. I hope he works on his 3pt shooting and the next coach can get a really good pg to run the offense whether it's Gilbert or someone else.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Rique. If he's health - and of course that's a big if - he's gonna be great.

He'd be perfect next to Jalen (who's a PG who can also play SG).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If there is a debate whether AG can be an efficient pg because we haven't seen enough of him in that position and the team struggled at times when he was healthy, the same argument can be applied to JA as a 2G. If he had a more consistent 3pt shot then the debate might end.

This year as well as last year, JA was best when he had the ball in his hands in the half court offense. And all stats aside, JA lacked the quick first step that a point guard needs as well as that consistent 3 pt shot a combo guard needs. He was severely exposed against teams that employed efficient zones when his 3 pt shot wasn't going down. The primary reason DO got any playing time was because he had the body to allow picks for Jalen to get into the lane.

With that said Jalen is a super talent. I hope he works on his 3pt shooting and the next coach can get a really good pg to run the offense whether it's Gilbert or someone else.

Honestly, and maybe this will sound too simple, but Jalen's problem is that the team stunk. Put him on our 2011 or 2014 teams and nobody would be complaining about his first step or inability to handle a zone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Agree. Kid averaged 5 assists per game on a team with nobody who could shoot. And no post presence whatsoever. And being guarded by 3 guys most of the time. For the only guy who could really play, he sure catches a lot of flack on here.

He's got some holes in his game, but I think you'll see a some of those magically clear up if other guys on this team are able to elevate next year.

Adams is at his best with the ball in his hands. He wasn't freed up, because there were no other consistent threats to deal with. And the other team threw 2-3 guys after him half the time.

Without Jalen, we'd have struggled to win 8 games the past two years. Shabazz wasn't making this group a tournament team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree. Kid averaged 5 assists per game on a team with nobody who could shoot. And no post presence whatsoever. And being guarded by 3 guys most of the time. For the only guy who could really play, he sure catches a lot of flack on here.

He's got some holes in his game, but I think you'll see a some of those magically clear up if other guys on this team are able to elevate next year.

Adams is at his best with the ball in his hands. He wasn't freed up, because there were no other consistent threats to deal with. And the other team threw 2-3 guys after him half the time.

Without Jalen, we'd have struggled to win 8 games the past two years. Shabazz wasn't making this group a tournament team.

I've said it before, I think both Jalen and Alterique are better with the ball in their hands. I think Ollie has tried for two years to turn Jalen into Ben Gordon. He's not that. He's not going to be that, even if he does improve his shot and strength (and he needs to). He is not a shooting guard with some PG skills, he's a PG with some SG skills.

I think they a both very good players, who are not particularly complementary to each other. It's the coach's job to put them in roles where they will succeed. If Gilbert is passing to Jalen and Jalen is going one on three, the offense is broken. If Jalen is passing to Gilbert and he goes one on three, it's broken. They are both going to have to learn to play more unselfishly than they probably ever have for this to work. They need to make the defense pay for overplaying either of them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Honestly, and maybe this will sound too simple, but Jalen's problem is that the team stunk. Put him on our 2011 or 2014 teams and nobody would be complaining about his first step or inability to handle a zone.
Not sure my analysis was complaining. Kemba would blow by defenses and get to the basket or get fouled. Jalen is probably quicker than Bazz but Bazz killed teams with his 3 pt shooting particularly in clutch situations and did so with more consistency.
Jalen needs a quicker first step if UConn doesn’t have a decent pt guard next season or a better 3 pt. shooting percentage if UConn has a decent pg. to have a modicum of success. The beauty of 2011 and 2014 was Kemba and Bazz or Bazz and Boat could interchange. In the limited time AG and Jalen played together you didn’t see that because both players struggled making 3’s. AG was better at penetrating zones because he’s quicker. But that essentially eliminated contributions from Jalen.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
People are quick to forget how well the team played early on this season vs Oregon and in the first half vs MSU. Gilbert was largely responsible for that. Prior to him tweaking his shoulder in the 2nd half vs MSU, we were an above-average team. After he was out, we were well below-average. Really glad to hear he'll most likely be back.

Reaction Score
Also those were his first 2 games as a college player. I'm going to stay positive with Gilbert.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
You could say the same for Vital.

but Vital is not a PG. but man he always played his heart out.

I admit he and Whaley are probably my 2 favorite players because they appear to be the hardest workers on the floor at all times.

You need guys like that to rebuild the program. Debate your talent all you want, but those guys can bring championship culture back to Storrs.

Although not returning,I would throw Anderson in that mix. He was the "come back kid" as far as I'm concerned.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yup. People don't understand the direction the modern game has gone and think he has to be John Stockton running the pick & roll 30 times a game to be a real PG, but that's just not the case. He's so good at finding shooters in the corners, drawing the man and then waiting to hit on the lob, etc etc.

I was shocked when I looked at the stat today to find out he avg 5 assists per game. On this team.

Reaction Score
Mau you are a tool-throwing the kid under the bus in his first two college games! I suspect you are half joking but really? BTW I thought he played OK vs Wagner as I remember. The kid was a McD's AA so I think he might be a pretty good college player.

I’m just thinking to myself who’s the “tool” that can’t figure out sarcasm????

Reaction Score
You do know we beat Oregon a year later with him in the lineup and were even with Michigan State before his season ended? And that done with a coach who was so bad he was fired a few years after winning a national championship. Just think what he might be capable of with a better (assuming AD hires someone better) coach.

I guess UConnLen wasn’t alone huh? I was joking 68. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom