Gilbert likely Returning | The Boneyard

Gilbert likely Returning

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
If he can go a full season good. Will need him but will need him a full year healthy.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If plays half the season I'll be happy.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Ready, Set:

You do know we lost to Wagner and Northeastern with him in the lineup right? I mean what proof do we have he will add anything to this team even if healthy?

Head bang

Whaley is going to save us all. He’ll be a top 20 defender in CBB before his career is over. I Wish sports reference gave longer leader board lists so I could see how well he played last year.

Reaction Score
We have 1 confirmed ball handler coming back then. That is still a disastrous situation. Offer this kid from Prince Tech that JC is hounding for all I care. JA and Vital can not/should not handle the ball next year if akinjo is def out

Reaction Score
Huge....the team played so much better when he was on the court. With him, I think we go 500 last year.

Not for nothing but you're saying that with AG you think, but aren't certain that we win 2 more games than we lost this year. Not sure how that signifies "Huge" in your book. Could've be an important player. Sure. If healthy we win 18-20 games last year, however, with KO's deficiencies, not sure it was all that important. Now with the second injury, it's pure hope that he can be an effective player. Glad to have him back, because the alternatives with a coaching change are going to provide less hope, but at this point we still need an influx of talent, especially at guard, and especially if either JAs don't end up on campus next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think we've seen him play a single game while truly healthy. This surgery should change that. I expected him back, because I can't imagine he wants to sit another year, and he certainly is in line to get plenty of minutes. Great news anyway.

polycom

Reaction Score
Why? Then they have to play the second half with out a true point guard most likely.

So you'll only be happy if he plays the entire season? That isn't exactly realistic given his history.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
So you'll only be happy if he plays the entire season? That isn't exactly realistic given his history.

If he comes in at starts.and then we lose him.it doesn't benefit the team in any way

polycom

Reaction Score
If he comes in at starts.and then we lose him.it doesn't benefit the team in any way

But if he comes halfway through the season and is able to complete it that would be helpful....

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Huge....the team played so much better when he was on the court. With him, I think we go 500 last year.

I think we do a whole lot better than 500

Reaction Score
If nothing else we need another player to dribble the ball up the court. Anything above that at this point is gravy.

Reaction Score
JA and Vital can not/should not handle the ball next year if akinjo is def out
Throwing Jalen into the same group with Vital re: ball-handling is a very curious take.

FWIW: Jalen's career assist % (31.0) is higher than Shabazz (29.2), and his turnover % (16.5) is lower (16.7). Jalen's turnover % this past year (14.1) was lower than Shabazz ever posted.

As a matter of fact, since Taliek, the only single-season primary ball-handlers to post a lower turnover % than Jalen this past season were senior year Boat (13.7) and junior year Kemba (9.8, which is insane).

Jalen's problem isn't that he's not a PG, or not a ball-handler. It's that, for the last two years, he's had to be the only ball-handler on the court for virtually every minute he plays. Saying he "can not/should not handle the ball" is a truly awful take.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ready, Set:

You do know we lost to Wagner and Northeastern with him in the lineup right? I mean what proof do we have he will add anything to this team even if healthy?

Head bang
Fwiw, earlier this season I asked for some
UConnHuskyGames recommendations, and Wagner was suggested. Gilbert struck me as UConn's best player in that game. I hope for him to heal & play well & improve his teammates.

I see no need to undercut that sentiment by covering myself with a knowing sense of reality any more than I just did.

Reaction Score
Throwing Jalen into the same group with Vital re: ball-handling is a very curious take.

FWIW: Jalen's career assist % (31.0) is higher than Shabazz (29.2), and his turnover % (16.5) is lower (16.7). Jalen's turnover % this past year (14.1) was lower than Shabazz ever posted.

As a matter of fact, since Taliek, the only single-season primary ball-handlers to post a lower turnover % than Jalen this past season were senior year Boat (13.7) and junior year Kemba (9.8, which is insane).

Jalen's problem isn't that he's not a PG, or not a ball-handler. It's that, for the last two years, he's had to be the only ball-handler on the court for virtually every minute he plays. Saying he "can not/should not handle the ball" is a truly awful take.

And KO gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, he never rested him which obviously led to some lazy passes and terrible turnovers. He needs a coach to hold him accountable for his own good, and that in turn will do wonders for the play of the overall team.

Reaction Score
And KO gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, he never rested him which obviously led to some lazy passes and terrible turnovers. He needs a coach to hold him accountable for his own good, and that in turn will do wonders for the play of the overall team.
I'm not sure I agree with the framing of this, but I agree with the overall sentiment.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

You could say the same for Vital.

but Vital is not a PG. but man he always played his heart out.

I admit he and Whaley are probably my 2 favorite players because they appear to be the hardest workers on the floor at all times.

You need guys like that to rebuild the program. Debate your talent all you want, but those guys can bring championship culture back to Storrs.

Reaction Score

One of the most annoying things I constantly read on this board is people saying Jalen is not a Point Guard. If he had one big man to feed and/or one consistent shooter to kick to, he’d be averaging 8 assists a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom