Gilbert is a 4th year PG | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Gilbert is a 4th year PG

Reaction Score
I don’t know if it’s that his shoulder is still bothering him so much that maybe it’s psychological- you know, like maybe he’s worried about hurting it again?
Clearly not an elite athlete but I dislocated my ankle in 2015 and have permanent damage from it. I finally got an all clear to ski again but didn’t last season even though that’s what I wanted. I didn’t hurt it skiing. I’m just afraid. Like what if I really hurt myself MORE and they can’t fix it.
I feel like he’s playing tentatively.
With AG, it wasn't just a one time thing..it was a recurring issue...it's fixed...oh wait it's not really fixed....so I can understand any trepidation...the more he plays without issue the more it will fade IMO...especially if he is cognizant of it

Browndog....as for you...your ankle is in a vice in a ski boot. Either get better boots or clamp them down....no way an ankle issue should ever be a problem skiing

Reaction Score
Gilbert is left open to take the 3 and he can’t make it. I’m disappointed he is such a poor shooter. His size is a problem on both offense and defense. That said he should be better than what he showed against Florida otherwise His time gets eaten into. Is Bouknight someone who can play combination? We need a playmaker and I‘m wondering if Gilbert is a liability what our guard lineup will be for assists.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Everything starts with Gilbert.

If he is not here next year, we might not have the spark to get some of these kids into offensive flow. Don't just look at his shooting. Look at how easy he gets in the lane & how the other kids get going. Look at his quick feet against PG after PG ... he is a disruptor.

I think he is damaged & has yet to fully recover. But that kid is crucial to us getting better.

My eye test suggests that he is drifting on the elevation of his jump shot. It is possible that he created that drift to counteract something that occurred when his shoulder was bad, and that now it causes his shots to be offline. If so, it's something the coaches can point out on film and he can fix. There is otherwise nothing wrong with his form. I don't buy that he's a "bad shooter". He was a very good shooter in HS.

I expect his shots to start falling, and he will be a very very good player for us.

Reaction Score
I still have faith in Al. This has to be the worst 3 game stretch he has ever played in his basketball life dating back to middle school. He’s missing open jumpers, free throws and making poor decisions. He did have some key moments in that Florida game tho(dropped that look away dime to Carlton late, had that big jumper when we were up 1 late and the game ending steal) I kno his career numbers don’t show it but I still think he can be a very good shooter for us. Plus, he can break down anyone in the country off the dribble. Whether we like it or not we’re going to need him the rest of the way - hurley almost put us in a real bad spot giving gaffney extended run in the first half. We were lucky Florida didn’t go up by 10 right there - I get having to play Gaffney but I wouldn’t of done it for that long of a stretch for as big a game as Florida was- especially before bouknight makes it back AND the urgency for a W coming off that shocking st joes game- moving forward I’ll understand it more if he plays. We re gonna need him too All in all , AG just has to get better, he’s too good to keep playing like this

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My eye test suggests that he is drifting on the elevation of his jump shot. It is possible that he created that drift to counteract something that occurred when his shoulder was bad, and that now it causes his shots to be offline. If so, it's something the coaches can point out on film and he can fix. There is otherwise nothing wrong with his form. I don't buy that he's a "bad shooter". He was a very good shooter in HS.

I expect his shots to start falling, and he will be a very very good player for us.

Definitely fading. This is something I mentioned with friends during the game and then afterwords here. You can even tell from the results, as his misses are not simply rimming out, but absolute bricks.

He's def better than he's shown, but what we don't know is the cumulative effect of all the surgeries on his shot. It's not like 100% range of motion was restored. Even if it's only a couple % points off, Maybe it affects him, who knows?

Reaction Score
AG was better last year than the beginning of this year. He hasn’t had any surgery for what? Over a year now? So I see no reason that he won’t get his shot back and be more of a 40% shooter than 20%.

Until then he absolutely needs to take less than 10 shots a game or he’s going to cost the team another loss. This team simply isn’t talented enough to overcome the worst shooter taking the most shots and continue to win.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If we want to be a tournament team Gilbert is going to have to be more efficient. I’m not sure it’s possible for him to ever shoot a high % because he can’t score around the rim. He can’t go up with his left well and he can’t absorb contact with his left shoulder at all. Something that is fixable is his shot he has a tendency to get sideways on his shot, boatright had this issue as well, he has to stay square. Another way to improve his efficiency is to just take less shots, we’ve kind of needed him to take a bunch because we didn’t have the offensive pieces. Hopefully Bouknight being back helps in that regards.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We’ll be at our best if he averages 11 points 6 assists and our worst if he averages 17 points 3 assists.

Reaction Score
Gilbert may be a 4th year player but in his first two years he played 9 games. And he only had one off season where he was healthy enough to work on his game and for strength & conditioning.

Give him ten games to lose a couple of pounds, get used to his new body and develop some chemistry with the new guys. Then we will know what we have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom