Gibbs haters? | The Boneyard

Gibbs haters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Where are you now? In his last 3 games, he's 13 of 24 from 3 (54%). In those games he's put up point totals of 20, 20, and 26.

Without Gibbs we lose this game today, without question. Not only did he quietly put up 20, he also had no turnovers today and hit all of his free thows.

Gibbs has single-handedly won at least 2 games for us now this year... today vs UH and vs Memphis. You could argue a 3rd game vs Tulane. We'd be looking the NIT without him.

Reaction Score
There's nothing inconsistent about saying that Gibbs is:

1) An elite shooter and a huge weapon on offense
AND
2) A mediocre PG/floor general

Gibbs's shooting has been absolutely immense and without it our offense would be in deep trouble. I hope that the last few games are the start of Gibbs settling into his role as #1, while Adams gets more minutes at PG to avoid the square-peg-round-hole situation of #2.

Reaction Score
I mentioned on the chat that he should come of the bench all he does is score nothing wrong with that.
The problem is the position he's playing, he's not a PG and that hurts the other guys as the offense stays stagnant.
Right now we have no scoring off the bench, he could be instant offense and still score 20pts off the bench like Ben Gordon used to do for us.
Adams is the future he needs to be the starting PG

Reaction Score
He's won 3 games for us. Never going to be a pure point but he seems to be doing a little better leading lately. He's by far our best shooter and the guy I want with the ball at the end.

Reaction Score
I mentioned on the chat that he should come of the bench all he does is score nothing wrong with that.
The problem is the position he's playing, he's not a PG and that hurts the other guys as the offense stays stagnant.
Right now we have no scoring off the bench, he could be instant offense and still score 20pts off the bench like Ben Gordon used to do for us.
No way we would be down by 10 before he gets into the game. He isn't a flashy pg but is heady. I like him and JA in the lineup together. They play off of each other well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
SG can shoot - we have seen it for years
SG can't lead a team - we've seen that this year
This team cries for a PG and SG is not the answer
He fits this team as someone who plays off the ball and looks for his shot
He has proven he has a hard time taking the ball to the hoop and finishing
He has hit crucial shots that have given the team leads and that is the SG I remember - not SG the PG

Reaction Score
He has hit crucial shots that have given the team leads and that is the SG I remember - not SG the PG
That would be nice if we had a really good pure point guard to put in his place but we don't.

Reaction Score
There were and aren't any Gibb haters. No fan 'hates' a UConn player. At the most fans may hate the way a player is playing.

This is an unfair question and also similar threads that appear with 'haters'. Just say 'I told you so', but don't call any of our fans haters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He finished quite well a today driving and even got to the line one time. Is he a true PG no. Is JA one? No. We need both of them on the floor to have good ball movement.

Reaction Score
every player has his shortcomings. Are expectations of Gibbs we're a little higher, so we are disappointed when he doesn't meet our expectations. Right now, Gibbs is an very good SG. He is deadly from 3. But, when we put him at the point and ask him to break down his man as the clock is expiring...that is not his game. He short arms 75% of his layup or floater attempts when in traffic. Therefore, Ollie has decided to use more of Jalen at the point and use Gibbs as he was intended.....and its working.

Reaction Score
every player has his shortcomings. Are expectations of Gibbs we're a little higher, so we are disappointed when he doesn't meet our expectations. Right now, Gibbs is an very good SG. He is deadly from 3. But, when we put him at the point and ask him to break down his man as the clock is expiring...that is not his game. He short arms 75% of his layup or floater attempts when in traffic. Therefore, Ollie has decided to use more of Jalen at the point and use Gibbs as he was intended.....and its working.
I didn't quite see that in the game. I saw SG leading the offense and JA playing off of him. I love all these people hating on SG as our PG. Can't they play as interchangeable guards. Yes, JA is a better penetrator but SG actually got inside very well in the first half.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to realize Gibbs has to be the key. This team, being void of true leadership must rely on experience at the guard spot. Gibbs fills that need ably. We all said this will be Jalen's team next year, and as we progress that appears to remain true. As talented as Jalen is, Gibbs has to control the team even if he is not considered the 'leader'. That's why Ollie wanted him.

Personally I'm ending my turn the team over to Jalen rants, he needs to learn what to do and what not to do. I can wait a little while.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There were and aren't any Gibb haters. No fan 'hates' a UConn player. At the most fans may hate the way a player is playing.

This is an unfair question and also similar threads that appear with 'haters'. Just say 'I told you so', but don't call any of our fans haters.

There have been one or two folks who have said that they thought(/still think?) Ollie made a mistake in bringing him on. My two cents is that's just a move, regardless of whether or not it's actually true.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
or us.

Who cares about the future? The now is all that matters. As others mentioned, Gibbs was steady when he played the point today. That's all we need. Like freshman Shabazz. Steady eddy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There have been one or two folks who have said that they thought(/still think?) Ollie made a mistake in bringing him on. My two cents is that's just a move, regardless of whether or not it's actually true.

They are idiots though. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could tell you that. Yep, shouldn't have brought in a 2nd team All BE guard who can put up 15+ a game.

pj

Reaction Score
Adams-Gibbs is a better backcourt than Gibbs-Purvis. Purvis just doesn't complement Gibbs well and when those two are on the court, Gibbs's strengths don't shine as brightly, and his weaknesses are magnified. Adams is a great partner for him.

Reaction Score
Most here have been very clear that he's a great shooting guard. I just want Adams out there with him so Jalen can grow as a point and Sterling can get us the points we need. It isn't an anti-Sterling sentiment. It is a desire to see him do what he does best, score.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
How many of these idiotic "-haters" threads will we have to endure?

Jesus, just STFU.

I started this thread to show how unappreciated Gibbs is here on this board and the fact that people are still replying and saying he should be coming off the bench is completely justifying the my point for this thread. He's been solely responsible for 3 of this team's wins and people still look to find the negatives in his game and downgrade his importance. The disrespect he's been shown here time and again is ridiculous. Just because he hasn't spent all 4 years of his college career here doesn't make him any less of a husky than someone else on the team.

Reaction Score
I used to def. be a Gibbs-hater, but after the last 3 games we probably would have lost all 3 without him. I'd say this is Gibbs team now and everyone else is along for the ride.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm not even reading anything but the OP...this is getting old, and I'm sure it has been addressed throughout, but: (1) There aren't "Gibbs haters."

(2) This has been a new thread each of the last 3-4 games, nothing new being stated.

(3) Spouting his point totals and 3 point stats not only doesn't touch any sort of argument, it makes the argument that was being made by who you deem "Gibbs haters" despite, as in point 1, no one actually saying or acting with any hate towards him.

Please, find something worthwhile to discuss about the team, or be grouped with a bunch of ppl proving their lack of basketball knowledge and reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom