Gibbs Great, Hamilton Terrible | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gibbs Great, Hamilton Terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Hamilton, as well as many fans, are somewhat caught in the middle...meaning I think many want him to be more assertive, shoot first, and sometimes he has gotten caught trying to force things.

It's a tough balancing act, and I'm not overall worried about it. But I think some of his struggles have been due to that, as opposed to just playing his natural game.

Neither he nor Rudy are/were busts or "bad" but I get the sentiment in comparing their lack of aggressive mentality in "taking over" from an offensive perspective. It may not be his nature, but that also doesn't mean he can't dominate games. But him balancing this is going to be a big, interesting story going forward for him and our team's success.

Reaction Score
I don't think Hamilton needs to be a "shoot first" guy. We have lots of other offensive weapons in Purvis, Gibbs, and Miller. I am all for Hamilton getting his points, but he has been a great facilitator. He is likely the best passing forward in the history of the program. His blend of scoring and distributing, along with rebounding is what makes him one of the most unique talents in the country. I just think that the team will be better if his points come within the flow of the offense rather than him looking to force things.

Reaction Score
Wow, you guys are awfully sensitive... He played pretty well and made a few huge shots...he wasn't great. But I guess every now and then speaking an opinion based on knowledge of the sport gets 50 inflammatory responses. His biggest shot of the game was a desperation 3 that was a great shot off of a poor possession, mostly due to him dribbling nowhere.

Sorry I mentioned that he didn't play a GREAT game. But I've watched plenty of GREAT. I didn't bash him or even bash his game yesterday. It just wasn't great, to me. I don't think one player played great, but we gave up a 28-7 run to Tulane and almost blew the game...

If Gibbs hitting three 3's and going 4 for 4 from the line at crunch time isnt "great" you have unrealistic expectations. I also would like to see more pg skills from Gibbs, but he was great (especially during crunch time) on Saturday.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think Hamilton needs to be a "shoot first" guy. We have lots of other offensive weapons in Purvis, Gibbs, and Miller. I am all for Hamilton getting his points, but he has been a great facilitator. He is likely the best passing forward in the history of the program. His blend of scoring and distributing, along with rebounding is what makes him one of the most unique talents in the country.

Probably behind Nadav. But the overall point is a good one.

Reaction Score
Probably behind Nadav. But the overall point is a good one.

I'd put Hamilton ahead of Nadav. His assist/40 is currently about double what Nadav's was despite playing in a much slower offense.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'd put Hamilton ahead of Nadav. His assist/40 is currently about double what Nadav's was despite playing in a much slower offense.
Yeah, I think Hamilton is the best passing forward we've ever had. Nadav, Caron and Burrell are the next tier down.

Reaction Score
Nadav's defense was better than any player on the current team. His understanding of defense and jumping into passing lanes was amazing.

On offense Nadav played a slow game. Hamilton is much more frantic. That explains the why Nadav was so much more secure with the ball. Hamilton is a better athlete, a better passer, a better rebounder on both ends. They were both great teammates. As the game continues to slow down for DHam, he will remind us more and more of Nadav.

Reaction Score

It's hard to compare them because they are/were different types of passers. DHam is brilliant off the bounce, Nadav was a one-touch ball movement master.

Reaction Score
I don't think Hamilton needs to be a "shoot first" guy. We have lots of other offensive weapons in Purvis, Gibbs, and Miller. I am all for Hamilton getting his points, but he has been a great facilitator. He is likely the best passing forward in the history of the program. His blend of scoring and distributing, along with rebounding is what makes him one of the most unique talents in the country. I just think that the team will be better if his points come within the flow of the offense rather than him looking to force things.

Agreed as if I wrote it. Hamilton has shown flashes, but he has to evolve now. He can get into the paint at will, but he's struggled at times to finish in traffic. He has to understand when (and more importantly why) to pick his spots. Is the defense playing for the lob pass (as we've seen recently), then you need to add a Lamb-esque floater or draw the D further before dishing (up and around pass, ala Kemba in BET final against Louisville) or kick to the corner. Shonn Miller in the corner if he can develop his 3 would be devastating with Hamilton off the bounce.

Reaction Score
It's hard to compare them because they are/were different types of passers. DHam is brilliant off the bounce, Nadav was a one-touch ball movement master.

Nadav is not 2nd to any forward in passing that I've seen as a matter of fact he's on the top tier alone for me. Saw things which others don't see, was not as flashy with ball getting into lanes but he was a brilliant anticipating passer as well os no look bounce passer.

Reaction Score
Nadav is not 2nd to any forward in passing that I've seen as a matter of fact he's on the top tier alone for me. Saw things which others don't see, was not as flashy with ball getting into lanes but he was a brilliant anticipating passer as well os no look bounce passer.

Nadav averaged 2.9 assists. DHam is averaging 5.4 assists. I think you are misremembering. DHam has nearly as many assists through 13 games as Nadav had in 37.

Reaction Score

Hamilton throws some pinpoint passes that amaze me. His half court pass on the break against Tulane was absolute precision. When he is on, I don't believe we ever had a passer as accurate as DHam.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nadav averaged 2.9 assists. DHam is averaging 5.4 assists. I think you are misremembering. DHam has nearly as many assists through 13 games as Nadav had in 37.

Yeah, but Nadav had Chris Smith (~4 apg) and Tate George (~5 apg). He was also doing it from the power forward spot. The make up of that team was totally different.

UCONN basically has Hamilton playing point guard right now, because they have no other option. So he racks up apg. But from a pure passing talent perspective, Nadav was better. imo

Reaction Score

He also has the ball in his hands a ton more than Nadav ever did. The question was who was the best passer not who threw the most passes. I assume you would mean they guy who threw the sweetest dimes but I may have been wrong. Whether he was leading the guard ahead of the court off the rebound or catching it at half court only to throw a no look bounce pass he was a great passer with great vision. Now overall I would have to say DHam is more than likely as good in creating a good pass, actually better so overall the more I think of it the 2 are th best and alone at the top.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Nadav had Chris Smith (~4 apg) and Tate George (~5 apg). He was also doing it from the power forward spot. The make up of that team was totally different.

UCONN basically has Hamilton playing point guard right now, because they have no other option. So he racks up apg. But from a pure passing talent perspective, Nadav was better. imo

There is a 0% chance that, regardless of the makeup of the 89-90 team, that Nadav would ever have become a primary ballhandler. He was an outstanding passer for a PF, but Hamilton is the best passer we've had in years. No way was Nadav better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom