Gibbs Great, Hamilton Terrible | The Boneyard

Gibbs Great, Hamilton Terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Loved the fifth year senior leadership out of Gibbs late in the game. Not just leading by example, running the offense with patience & poise, & hitting big shots/free throws.....but bringing the guys together during dead ball moments and keeping spirits high after losing a 19 point lead. Showed amazing character and leadership. Have been waiting for this Gibbs to show up and I hope his play tonight remains the same for the rest of the season. 16pts 8 rbs 7 ssts...not too shabby (I know it's Tulane but it's an away game after completely losing all momentum).

Now...I might get a little backlash on this which is fine, but MY GOD i've never been so frustrated watching Daniel Hamilton ever, particularly late in the game. Gave me flashbacks to last year when he would have the silliest turn overs that made you want to pull your hair out. There were moments in the final minutes of the game where I was convinced he was trying to intentionally lose the game for us (clearly he wasn't but it looked like it). Getting off his feet in no mans land and throwing the ball out of bounds...and throwing up prayers in transition. I know he had 19pts 9 rbs, and was facing bigger guys the entire game and doing what he could, but man that was hard to watch, and had 4 turnovers. I need a little more emotion out of him too. If he's this team's best player & wants to be a leader no more hanging his head after silly turnovers, and how about some fire or mean-muggin after an And 1 or big shot? I know it's not his nature but just do something to pick the teams spirits up. Thank god Sterling took over that role tonight.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Someone asked if there's been a Husky with his level of talent who played so lackadaisical (dare I say passionless) than DHam. Rudy Gay?

Reaction Score
I'll bike with the backlash. You expect so much from the kid he's not entitled to screw up some plays? The kid is an incredible talent and is still growing into himself. I don't require anything more from DHAM.

Reaction Score
He had a bad half. It happens. It isn't really any more than that. Every great player for us has had those sort of nights.

The pass out of bounds was a case of DHam expecting Gibbs to flash to the open space on the wing and Gibbs staying put. Gibbs probably should have flashed to create a better passing lane, but at the same time, you could understand him being concerned about being near the top of the key to keep the floor balanced for transition defense and it is ultimately on DHam to deliver the pass to the right place. It is what it is - two players on different pages in a quick moment of time.

I'm not sure how a player is lackadaisical who gets 10 rebounds a night as a small forward. We haven't had a player like him who can dominate the defensive glass and then turn it into a fast break with his ball handling. He doesn't show a lot of emotion, but that doesn't mean he's lackadaisical.

Reaction Score
uconnng8 said:
Should be noted that Daniel shot 9-10 from the line, to go alone with shooting 85% on the season. That is a great improvement form last year (67%) and will need to be continued in order to put games away, a la tonight.
Those misses against Temple were a lifetime ago. He's really gotten better.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Should be noted that Daniel shot 9-10 from the line, to go alone with shooting 85% on the season. That is a great improvement form last year (67%) and will need to be continued in order to put games away, a la tonight.
As someone else noted Dham didn't miss the one "miss" was the lane violation. I will add though that it's still great to see the significant improvement from year 1 to 2.

Reaction Score
did CBS ever show a replay of the dead ball foul? I don't want to go too crazy since I didn't see it but I was the most annoyed at that. Gibbs just hits a 3, then a foul is called with no time going off the clock. They were fortunate that the Tulane player split the free throws.

Reaction Score
did CBS ever show a replay of the dead ball foul? I don't want to go too crazy since I didn't see it but I was the most annoyed at that. Gibbs just hits a 3, then a foul is called with no time going off the clock. They were fortunate that the Tulane player split the free throws.

Yeah I don't believe the replay was shown. Another mistake from him that really got me going. Again I'm not going to completely tear him a new one, but this is Hamilton were talking about here. Not Omar or Jalen or Facey...but Hamilton. Guys gotta be more consistent and limit the silly plays

Reaction Score
Hamilton definitely forced things too much in the last 10 minutes or so, especially in a few minute stretch where he seemed to do everything wrong. I think he's feeling his way through how to take over games and what he can and can't do in those situations. It's all a learning process. He'll get there.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I didn't think Gibbs played that well, he made a couple shots but overall I am still waiting to see him play the way I expected... I wasn't overly impressed by Hamilton, so I wouldn't say I totally disagree, but the thread title is way off base, imo.

Honestly, I thought Gibbs played below average. Making a few shots doesn't mean you played a great game.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I didn't think Gibbs played that well, he made a couple shots but overall I am still waiting to see him play the way I expected... I wasn't overly impressed by Hamilton, so I wouldn't say I totally disagree, but the thread title is way off base, imo.

Honestly, I thought Gibbs played below average. Making a few shots doesn't mean you played a great game.

Without Gibbs' play down the stretch, we lose to Tulane to open up the conference slate and you are left shaking your fist and cursing at your TV screen all night long.

Reaction Score

Check his stat line. Gibbs also had 7 assists and 8 rebounds. Accounted for 36 of team's total 75 points.

Reaction Score

He also played great at the point and made some key passes and didn't turn the ball over. He also grabbed 8 rebounds. Pretty good all around game. He did force some things on offense inside but all of our guards did except for RP.

Reaction Score
My only concern about DHam is his habitual pump fake, carried over from last year. I want to see him become a catch and shoot player (Rip style), especially if the open shot is there.

There were a couple of times he passed on the open shot (pump faked) and then shot a contested shot when the defender was on him. If he adds that element he will be unstoppable. I have to believe opposing teams are playing him to pump fake, and that nice spin move will soon be defended when opposing teams look at our films.

Reaction Score
If that performance was "terrible," we never have to worry about Hamilton ever again. He will be NPOY.

Reaction Score
19 pts and 9 boards...terrible DHam, shame on you

Not sure why he deserves a "terrible" shoutout in a thread topic but by all means....
This. What a crappy line, what a crappy game. Especially from a kid who has two more years of eligibility after this. Just awful.

Reaction Score

Lmao. What??????????????

Reaction Score

16 points, 8 rb, 7 ast, 0 fouls (on a night like last night?!), 4/6 from 3pt, hit his late crunchtime FTs... check your eyes.

Yes, he missed some close shots, because he and the rest were getting hammered without fouls being called, but to say it was a bad game...

Reaction Score
16 points, 8 rb, 7 ast, 0 fouls (on a night like last night?!), 4/6 from 3pt, hit his late crunchtime FTs... check your eyes.

Yes, he missed some close shots, because he and the rest were getting hammered without fouls being called, but to say it was a bad game...
facts

Reaction Score

Sebastian Cabot would have been better against Tulane last night than the 16/8/7 Gibbs put up huh? Were you babysitting Jodi while watching this one?

Reaction Score
Loved the fifth year senior leadership out of Gibbs late in the game. Not just leading by example, running the offense with patience & poise, & hitting big shots/free throws.....but bringing the guys together during dead ball moments and keeping spirits high after losing a 19 point lead. Showed amazing character and leadership. Have been waiting for this Gibbs to show up and I hope his play tonight remains the same for the rest of the season. 16pts 8 rbs 7 ssts...not too shabby (I know it's Tulane but it's an away game after completely losing all momentum).

Now...I might get a little backlash on this which is fine, but MY GOD i've never been so frustrated watching Daniel Hamilton ever, particularly late in the game. Gave me flashbacks to last year when he would have the silliest turn overs that made you want to pull your hair out. There were moments in the final minutes of the game where I was convinced he was trying to intentionally lose the game for us (clearly he wasn't but it looked like it). Getting off his feet in no mans land and throwing the ball out of bounds...and throwing up prayers in transition. I know he had 19pts 9 rbs, and was facing bigger guys the entire game and doing what he could, but man that was hard to watch, and had 4 turnovers. I need a little more emotion out of him too. If he's this team's best player & wants to be a leader no more hanging his head after silly turnovers, and how about some fire or mean-muggin after an And 1 or big shot? I know it's not his nature but just do something to pick the teams spirits up. Thank god Sterling took over that role tonight.
I disagree with the premise of this thread. Gibbs was great and had the best overall floor game on the team I would say. He was also clutch, hitting shots and free throws when we needed it most. To say Hamilton played terribly however I think is an overstatement. Gibbs had 16 points on 4-13 shooting. Hamilton had 19 on 4-12. Gibbs had more assists and ran the team and chipped in 8 rebounds. Hamilton had 9 rebounds. Hamilton turned the ball over 4 times which obviously isn't great. Defensively he needs a lot of work but I really don't think that is going to change much. I just think to say he was "terrible" is unfair.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Someone asked if there's been a Husky with his level of talent who played so lackadaisical (dare I say passionless) than DHam. Rudy Gay?
Sophomore Jeremy Lamb too. All productive players though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom