Giants next head coach? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Giants next head coach?

Reaction Score
They actually ended the streak to play a black QB. My ethnicity qualifies as a "minority", for what it's worth. The Giants never had a starting black QB before Geno. Look it up. You guys are upset at me for this? Really?

How about they get a GOOD QB and less emphasis on black or white - just the best player.

Reaction Score
Giants need to clean house in the entire front office, ownership on down. It has been this way longer than I like to recall. We'll have staff woes no matter what until this changes if you ask me. I am not sure how Gettleman survived(es) this.

Reaction Score
I'm only saying what some pundits on Twitter said. And I think yes, when your GM hasn't been good and you are hiring a coach, you want alignment between GM and coach.

Yeah understood, I meant the royal You all.

You normally get alignment by letting the GM pick the coach, and it's the single biggest decision a GM makes. Seems strange to not get any GM involvement in the coach picking process, and instead have a coach have say in your GM hiring/firing process.

It shows a fundamental problem in the organizational culture.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah understood, I meant the royal You all.

You normally get alignment by letting the GM pick the coach, and it's the single biggest decision a GM makes. Seems strange to not get any GM involvement in the coach picking process, and instead have a coach have say in your GM hiring/firing process.

It shows a fundamental problem in the organizational culture.

I get that, but the coaches want the Belichick deal if they can swing it. So if the coach is a hot name like Rhule or McDaniels, and his vision doesn't fit with the GM, you need to choose. And you might just choose the coach. Everybody thinks Caserio will head to Houston from New England to be with Bill O'Brien, but could he also be a package deal with McDaniels?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I get that, but the coaches want the Belichick deal if they can swing it. So if the coach is a hot name like Rhule or McDaniels, and his vision doesn't fit with the GM, you need to choose. And you might just choose the coach. Everybody thinks Caserio will head to Houston from New England to be with Bill O'Brien, but could he also be a package deal with McDaniels?
I'm not confident a guy like Rhule would be ready to put together an NFL roster after being out of the league for a while.

Reaction Score
How about they get a GOOD QB and less emphasis on black or white - just the best player.
Welcome to a politically correct society. The Giants are the last franchise to start a black QB.

Reaction Score
Welcome to a politically correct society. The Giants are the last franchise to start a black QB.

I think you are getting push back because your point was off topic and it's unclear what you were trying to say. The Giants took so long to start a black QB because the culture is conservative? Is that it?

There is a lot of talk about Rhule and his NFL background. I didn't realize he spent 1 year coaching in the NFL and 19 years coaching in college. He has coached both sides of the ball but never has had great offense as far as I know. His biggest attribute seems that he is a culture/discipline coach, right? I am lukewarm but it is so hard to tell what will work.

Reaction Score
Here's why Gettleman is probably staying.

The Giants have two of the top 10 rookies in the NFL this year according to PFF (Dexter Lawrence at 5 and Darius Slayton at 10). He also drafted Daniel Jones when the entire world mocked him for it.

He also cleared out cap space through trades where the Giants as of now have the 9th most to spend according to Over The Cap with another 15 mil available if/when they cut Ogletree, Ellison and Bethea...which would put them around 80 million available.

He also has already turned around a franchise like Carolina.

He has shortcomings no doubt (he doesn't trade down, which is infuriating, he made the Leonard Williams trade and lost a 3rd rounder because of it - although he may recoup a 3rd rd comp pick for Landon Collins leaving - and his FA signings thus far have not worked).

If the Giants want Rhule and Rhule insists he have some say on stuff, I'd think the Giants will be fine with it. Gettleman did work with Bettcher to bring in some former Arizona players to work with the defense he wanted, so it's not like he's a GM who doesn't look for input from the staff.

I would have been fine either with or without Gettleman getting the axe. But he's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

If he brings in the right coaching staff (Rhule would be a great choice IMO) and targets all the money and draft capital on O-line and pass rushers, I think this franchise will be poised to make a strong move toward the top of the division in 2 years.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't treat PFF rankings as gospel. They are sketchy at best. Slayton was a terrific late round pick. I loved him coming out of Auburn. He was severely underutilized there. With that said, he is in no way a top 10 rookie. He is not even a top 4 rookie WR. Brown, McLaurin, Metcalf, Samuel all better. He's more in the Hollywood Brown and Mecole Hardman range.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't treat PFF rankings as gospel. They are sketchy at best. Slayton was a terrific late round pick. I loved him coming out of Auburn. He was severely underutilized there. With that said, he is in no way a top 10 rookie. He is not even a top 4 rookie WR. Brown, McLaurin, Metcalf, Samuel all better. He's more in the Hollywood Brown and Mecole Hardman range.

To be fair, Brown has Lamar Jackson, Samuel has Jimmy G, Metcalf has Wilson. WR's usually take 2-3 years to develop and Slayton had a good year with a much worse QB situation.

Reaction Score
I am all in on Rhule. The Giants will make another mistake hiring an old retread coach like McCarthy or God forbid Garrett. Those choices will be like hiring Dan Reeves.

Reaction Score
Just amazing that Gettleman survives.
Are the giants trying to relocate to southern Florida? I figure once they trade Saquon and draft another qb at the 4 spot we may be in our way.

Reaction Score
Im a minority too. Saying the giants aren’t a good team because they don’t have a black qb makes no sense. Eli Manning has been the qb for the last 15 years. They didn’t have the opportunity to have a black qb because they had Eli. Plus only 4 qbs in 2004 were black anyway. It’s not like they passed on a better qb that was black to play Eli.

They actually ended the streak to play a black QB. My ethnicity qualifies as a "minority", for what it's worth. The Giants never had a starting black QB before Geno. Look it up. You guys are upset at me for this? Really?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Gettleman's complete lack of improving a situation is inexcusable. Hes admitted to it multiple times. He didnt even attempt to pivot the Barkley pick into more assets is the first. The second was accepting the Browns offer for OBJ without checking to see if the 9ers would beat that offer. And he let Collins walk for nothing.
Sure, he might have found a good qb. But that's still tbd. He has found some decent mid round guys...but hes SUPPOSED to. Giants fans are just used to reese throwing those picks away. He butchered the Eli manning situation paying him 20+ million to be a backup. The Leonard Williams trade is a joke. Shurmur is not as bad as hes being made out. I dont think hes the answer...but hes not that bad.

That said, I like Rhule. Not sure McDaniels is the answer. If Rhule isnt the answer then I guess McDaniels or Bienemy...not crazy about either of those. Maybe McCarthy?

Reaction Score
To be fair, Brown has Lamar Jackson, Samuel has Jimmy G, Metcalf has Wilson. WR's usually take 2-3 years to develop and Slayton had a good year with a much worse QB situation.
I agreed with you. I like Slayton. He's good. Just not top 10 in the whole draft good. All PFF rankings are wonky. Not just this one. Keep in mind the Giants were often playing from behind and had to throw often to play catch up. With Engram, Barkley, Tate and Shepherd all missing games, someone had to catch those balls. Even so, he had some really impressive outings, especially for a late rounder. He has a bright future. McLaurin had to deal with some of the same stuff with an even worse QB situation and an interim coach playing 1960's ball running almost every play. Looking forward to seeing all these young guys develop further. This coming years class of WRs is unreal for the 2020 draft.

Reaction Score
By the way he finished the season, AJ Brown may be the best of the bunch from this years crop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom