Getting that Feeling (Again) . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Getting that Feeling (Again) . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So basically you can predict every season.
Was this necessary? Not claiming to predict the future, and was clearly wrong in 09 (also other years not mentioned). Don't be like Eli.

Reaction Score
This team feels like our 2002 iteration or our 20o3 iteration. Each had runs in them, but the former ran into a tough Maryland team (and that year had more top teams; aside from Maryland, Duke and Kansas were very good). I'm not as sure that DHam can be our Caron, though.

The latter was a year away but brought it all together and but for a bad bounce might have made the Final Four. The field was pretty wide open, too (Kansas looked very good, Kentucky had a great record but no one believed in them, and 3 seed Syracuse won it). I've been pushing the idea that this team might be the 2003 team. Each lost a key component for a while (2003: JC; 2016: AB), and each lost some games they should not have.

If they can get to a high level, and get a 6 seed or so, they have a shot to do some real damage. It's about avoiding the actually dangerous teams (UNC has had our number over the years, and Oklahoma would be tough to take out) and getting a solid draw.

They haven't fully won me over, yet. This 4 game stretch might do it for me, though.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Was this necessary? Not claiming to predict the future, and was clearly wrong in 09 (also other years not mentioned). Don't be like Eli.

Oh for gods sake, it was clearly a joke. I'm surprised you of all people are being overly sensitive about that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ECU is helluva drug. Let see how we handle Temple in Philly first...
Agreed....consider we haven't beaten Temple, Tulsa, SMU or Cincy in conference yet this year a little premature....coincidentally those are our next 4 opponents.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton with Amida in the lineup: 13.08 ppg, 9.1 RPG, 5.25 APG 46% shooting
Daniel Hamilton without Amida in the lineup: 10.45 ppg, 8.9 RPG, 4.63 APG 30% shooting

So while his return may not be statistically huge for himself as an individual, it has had a profound statistical impact on the efficiency of our best all-around player.

That's what I was saying without the numbers to back me up. That Brimah doesn't have great stat numbers, but his return has an impact on the team.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I'll admit I was a big critic of Ollie's after the Temple loss. I still think he could have done lots of things differently as a coach to change the outcome of that game.

But if you're going to be critical when deserving, you also have to give credit when credit is due. KO has done a GREAT job over the past few weeks and has helped this team seemingly turn a corner:

1. Playing Nolan more than many (including myself) thought he should. He's been a big boost defensively, especially while Amida was out.
  2. Moving Adams to the starting line up and bringing Purv in off the bench. This has let Adams develop his game. He's a facilitator and leader as our team's only pure PG. Also allows Gibbs to play off the ball where he's more effective. And props to Purv, how many other players take that in stride?
  3. Trimming the lineup and fixing his ridiculous early-season substitution patterns. This has allowed the team to learn their roles, be more comfortable in them, and develop chemistry.
  4. Attack the rim more, live in the lane. Only good things happen when you attack the rim. We are getting higher percentage shots, drawing more fouls, and creating an inside-out game. Also doing a better job of feeding Miller and the bigs.

Reaction Score
I'll admit I was a big critic of Ollie's after the Temple loss. I still think he could have done lots of things differently as a coach to change the outcome of that game.
IMO he's still not a great in-game coach, but he's proved to be really good at 1) recruiting, 2) adapting to his team's strengths over the course of a season, 3) coaching defense, and 4) coaxing improvement out of individual players over their respective careers.

Add in the fact that his guys don't get in trouble off the court and all seem to be killing it in the classroom, and it's hard not to be extremely excited about the future of the program.

Reaction Score
What are you doing here then?!?!
Saw this in a bar and made me think of all of you #SECbound
image.png

Reaction Score
this board is going to be a mess if they lose the Temple game
Yeah. While I think they are most like the 2003 team...they need to start winning the games that team did by the end of the year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Don't take the bait. Yours was the type of post I like from you (instead of what you wrote when I last quoted you and left you confused and requesting a PM if I wanted to clarify).

Thing is, when we are winning, petty annoyances seem to just evaporate, and internal squabbles are a distraction. Time to play like a team, even us.

Recent game play gives me the feeling that this team is moving into the Sweet 16 level, but will need to knock off a (current) E8 level team to get there. Nothing to do except play a game at a time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
IMO he's still not a great in-game coach, but he's proved to be really good at 1) recruiting, 2) adapting to his team's strengths over the course of a season, 3) coaching defense, and 4) coaxing improvement out of individual players over their respective careers.

Add in the fact that his guys don't get in trouble off the court and all seem to be killing it in the classroom, and it's hard not to be extremely excited about the future of the program.

1,2,3 are characteristics of NBA coaches. College coaches have to be much more hands on throughout the course of a game. NBA coaches let players do their stuff, observe the ebb and flow and then earn their paycheck the 4th quarter. In a college game, decisions made at the 12 minute mark of the first half can be crucial to outcomes. The talent level in college is much more unequal and coaches have to adapt more quickly to trends. In the NBA talent tends to equalize over the first 35-40 minutes of a game.

I'm still not buying #4 yet. We haven't seen any of the players develop above their entrance level. No one has exceeded expectations. Yet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We don't have the lights-out jump shooter our other top teams have had. That's keeping down the irrational exuberance for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom