Getting Impatient | The Boneyard

Getting Impatient

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If the Huskies' season started today, I'd be just fine with that. For right now, I'm just trying to deal with their absence from my Samsung.

You know, this could be the team that we talk about for many years after their season is completed. They lack nothing.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I get it, BigBird. I would have been fine if they started it on April 3.

When you lose a game, it is good to get to play another game right away. Kind of wipes the slate clean, at least to some extent.

Well, UConn obviously wasn`t able to do that at the end of last year, and that loss sticks in our collective craw.

May it provide that extra motivation to push this incredibly talented, well-coached team to championship number 12.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with all of you guys. Fortunately recruiting seems to have picked up a bit lately - or at least news about recruits going about their business, so we are getting some good WCBB news.

Looking forward to the end of all the OT threads (songs, tests, etc.) so we can focus on everything related to WCBB! We do have an Off Topic forum called "Entertainment", which is where I hope all those threads go...

Reaction Score
Maybe this is a good thread in which to ask the most burning questions we have about this year's team. It's a given, I think, that the excellence we all anticipate will likely be realized. But how?

My questions:

1. The major change this year will be the insertion of Azura into the starting mix, so how will that affect the dynamic of the team? Will her points or her rebounds be her chief contribution?

2. Crystal will be the first guard to sub in, but who among the freshmen has the on ball skills to go in next? (I'm thinking that Lou and Dangerfield will be the guards next year, so who's the guard of the future?)

3. Assuming that 'Pheesa is relieved somewhat by Azura's rebounding, will that mean more PPG from Colllier?

4. When Lou joined the Huskies, there was some back and forth about whether she would crack the starting line-up in her first year. As another #1 pick, what will be Megatron's role be this year? (I'm thinking that Meg will become the next Gabby--next year.)

5. Talk about Gabby this season has focused on her expanded shooting range, but she has been since high school someone who preferred going to the basket. More of the same? Realistically, does UConn need more points from Williams this year?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm with all of you guys. Fortunately recruiting seems to have picked up a bit lately - or at least news about recruits going about their business, so we are getting some good WCBB news.

Looking forward to the end of all the OT threads (songs, tests, etc.) so we can focus on everything related to WCBB! We do have an Off Topic forum called "Entertainment", which is where I hope all those threads go...

Killjoy! I believe it is especially in season, when we go at each other like rabid huskies, that we need shared moments of jocularity. Like the old Reader's Digest Laughter is the Best Medicine section. Besides, since I know little about basketball, it is only in the fluff that I can contribute. :) OBTW, that's me on my horse 15 years ago in the upper left hand corner.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Killjoy! I believe it is especially in season, when we go at each other like rabid huskies, that we need shared moments of jocularity. Like the old Reader's Digest Laughter is the Best Medicine section. Besides, since I know little about basketball, it is only in the fluff that I can contribute. :) OBTW, that's me on my horse 15 years ago in the upper left hand corner.
I'm not saying you can't enjoy them, just that they don't belong on the women's basketball page, at least not during the season. There's an entertainment page for that stuff! I would encourage anyone feeling the need for "jocularity" to peruse it at their leisure! ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If the Huskies' season started today, I'd be just fine with that. For right now, I'm just trying to deal with their absence from my Samsung.

You know, this could be the team that we talk about for many years after their season is completed. They lack nothing.

It's been 141 days since UConn's last game in March. But with each passing day, we're getting closer (43 more days) to their first exhibition game (Fort Hays State) on November 1.

Hang in there, we're almost there. We've never been this close before. This is the hardest part of the off season. No breaking news, no incoming transfers, no verbals to get excited about (too early for verbals because all of the pending campus visits by the top prospects have not been made yet).

All we can do is wring our hands and wipe our salivating mouths in anticipation of things to come. Official practice should begin in approximately 23 days (Oct 11-13, or there abouts). If someone has the exact date, please enlighten us.

Once practice begins, hopefully we will begin to get some reports of how the team is doing collectively, and who is standing out individually those first few days. The traffic here in the yard usually increases once official practice begins, as we'll have more fodder at our disposal to "chew" on. In the immortal words of retired NY Jet linebacker Bart Scott: "Can't wait". :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe this is a good thread in which to ask the most burning questions we have about this year's team. It's a given, I think, that the excellence we all anticipate will likely be realized. But how?

My questions:

1. The major change this year will be the insertion of Azura into the starting mix, so how will that affect the dynamic of the team? Will her points or her rebounds be her chief contribution?

2. Crystal will be the first guard to sub in, but who among the freshmen has the on ball skills to go in next? (I'm thinking that Lou and Dangerfield will be the guards next year, so who's the guard of the future?)

3. Assuming that 'Pheesa is relieved somewhat by Azura's rebounding, will that mean more PPG from Colllier?

4. When Lou joined the Huskies, there was some back and forth about whether she would crack the starting line-up in her first year. As another #1 pick, what will be Megatron's role be this year? (I'm thinking that Meg will become the next Gabby--next year.)

5. Talk about Gabby this season has focused on her expanded shooting range, but she has been since high school someone who preferred going to the basket. More of the same? Realistically, does UConn need more points from Williams this year?
My answers.
1) Azura will have a positive impact on the team, her biggest contribution will be neither points nor rebounds it will be minutes and size at the PF/C position-UCONN's greatest need.

2) Mikayla Coombs seems to have the most athleticism to impact the game defensively. If Crystal and Kia both start someone will need to be PG/facilitator on the second unit so it colud be wide open among Megatron, AEH, Mikayla, or Molly.

3) No, less minutes per game for Napheesa will result in fewer PPG and that will be a good thing for UCONN.

4) Don't see Megatron starting this season. Next season she will likely replace Kia Nurse in the starting lineup.

5) This team has enough depth where Gabby can somewhat move out of the post to the position she will likely play in the WNBA-wing. Gabby does need to increase her outside shooting percentage. UCONN does not necessarily "need" more points from Gabby. Biggest need of Gabby is what she accomplished last year "anchor and energize the UCONN defense.

Reaction Score
My "sleeper" watch is Batouly. We don't know whether Z will be there for another year but it's a great bet that Batouly will be there for 3 yrs. Will she be the power rebounder who will give UConn 12-15 minutes/game this year, increasing each of the next 2 yrs, and being offensively productive, too? And/or will Kyla be able to step up? I think this 7th-8th person, playing the 5, if able to be a solid body getting boards and getting some points, and being in the general quick flow, would be a real anchor for the next 3 yrs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My "sleeper" watch is Batouly. We don't know whether Z will be there for another year but it's a great bet that Batouly will be there for 3 yrs. Will she be the power rebounder who will give UConn 12-15 minutes/game this year, increasing each of the next 2 yrs, and being offensively productive, too? And/or will Kyla be able to step up? I think this 7th-8th person, playing the 5, if able to be a solid body getting boards and getting some points, and being in the general quick flow, would be a real anchor for the next 3 yrs.
Agree, Batouly has great potential and can contribute this year. Don't forget that Charli Collier comes on board this summer and will compete for minutes in the post immediately (might start) especially if Azura leaves for WNBA.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

My questions:

You said: "I'm thinking that Lou and Dangerfield will be the guards next year, so who's the guard of the future"? I think you're jumping the gun a little bit. This year's freshmen guards will have been on campus (and in the system) 19 months this time next year. We have no way of knowing at this time how much they are going to develop/mature (leap) between now and then.

Even Carnac the magnificent can't see that far into the future, and he has crystal balls, envelopes, tea leaves and tarot cards to aide him. You may be right, but who knows. It could happen. 14 months from now (November 2018) is a long time. Lots of things (developments) can happen between now and then. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you're in the majority or the minority with your assumption that Stevens will be a starter, but I DO agree with you that she will start. I don't believe Geno brought her in to come off the bench. Especially if the reports we received last year were true, that she pretty much dominated their practices daily.

I'm also not sure Collier will be relieved by Steven's rebounding presence. Rebounders of her "ilk" usually don't back off because or if there is another rebounding presence or force on the floor. For the dedicated - died in the wool rebounder, rebounding is instinctive. If the ball comes off the rim, they're not going to wait to see if another player gets it, they go after it!!

Baring injury, I don't see Megatron cracking the starting line-up this year. Your starting lineup will consist of 2 seniors (Williams & Nurse) and 3 juniors (Collier, Samuelson and Stevens), who is she going to bump? Like Crystal, she'll get her minutes this year, but she'll get them coming off the bench.

Regarding Gabby - If Gabby can give Geno the same effort, leadership and production as last year, they should be fine. Gabby had a pretty good year. Don't forget, she was the AAC defensive POY, and she was selected as an All-American, and let's not forget, she was consistent all year!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . .

My questions:

1. The major change this year will be the insertion of Azura into the starting mix, so how will that affect the dynamic of the team? Will her points or her rebounds be her chief contribution?. . .

Getting a little ahead of yourself there (in a different sense than Scoop cited). Shouldn't you be asking whether Azura will be starting?

Or has Geno made a proclamation?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You said: "I'm thinking that Lou and Dangerfield will be the guards next year, so who's the guard of the future"? I think you're jumping the gun a little bit. This year's freshmen guards will have been on campus (and in the system) 19 months this time next year. We have no way of knowing at this time how much they are going to develop/mature (leap) between now and then.

Even Carnac the magnificent can't see that far into the future, and he has crystal balls, envelopes, tea leaves and tarot cards. You may be right, but who knows. It could happen. 20 months from now is a long time. Lots of things (developments) can happen between now and then. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you're in the majority or the minority with your assumption that Stevens will be a starter, but I DO agree with you that she will be a starter!! I don't believe Geno brought her in to come off the bench. Especially if the reports we received last year were true, that she pretty much dominated their practices daily.

I'm also not sure Collier will be relieved by Steven's rebounding presence. Rebounders of her "ilk" usually don't back off because or if there is another rebounding presence or force on the floor. For the dedicated - died in the wool rebounder, rebounding is instinctive. If the ball comes off the rim, they're not going to wait to see if another player gets it, they go after it!!

Baring injury, I don't see Megatron cracking the starting line-up this year, who is she going to bump? Like Crystal, she'll get her minutes this year, but those minutes will be from the bench.

Regarding Gabby - If Gabby can give Geno the same effort, leadership and production as last year, they should be fine. Gabby had a pretty good year. Don't forget, she was the AAC defensive POY, and she was selected as an All-American, and let's not forget, she was consistent all year!!!
A slight but necessary amplification. Gabby was National Defensive Player of the Year ( (best in ALL conferences) not just AAC.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

upload_2017-9-19_7-5-24.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I'm not saying you can't enjoy them, just that they don't belong on the women's basketball page, at least not during the season. There's an entertainment page for that stuff! I would encourage anyone feeling the need for "jocularity" to peruse it at their leisure! ;)

Some of us are just trying to keep the board active until the season starts. Not everybody likes a ghost town. :cool:

Just for you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The general level of impatience about the upcoming season here on the BY, brings to mind a group of racehorses trying to get out of the starting gate...... Come to think of it, with the average age of most of us here on the BY, it's more like a bunch of plow horses trying to get out of the barn. :oops:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The general level of impatience about the upcoming season here on the BY, brings to mind a group of racehorses trying to get out of the starting gate. Come to think of it, with the average age of most of us here on the BY, it's more like a bunch of plow horses trying to get out of the barn. :oops:
As long as the next stop after the barn is not the glue factory, we should be alright.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
  1. The major change this year will be the insertion of Azura into the starting mix, so how will that affect the dynamic of the team? Will her points or her rebounds be her chief contribution? Why does it have to be either or? I expect major contributions in both areas; somewhat concerned on transition defense. By major on points I mean major for a Husky, not University of Washington or Ohio State major
  2. :eek:
  3. Crystal will be the first guard to sub in, but who among the freshmen has the on ball skills to go in next? (I'm thinking that Lou and Dangerfield will be the guards next year, so who's the guard of the future?) Combs.

4. Assuming that 'Pheesa is relieved somewhat by Azura's rebounding, will that mean more PPG from Colllier? Geno wants them all to be ball hawks. I do not expect much change here.

5. When Lou joined the Huskies, there was some back and forth about whether she would crack the starting line-up in her first year. As another #1 pick, what will be Megatron's role be this year? (I'm thinking that Meg will become the next Gabby--next year.) Meg and Gabby have a different type of physicality. Meg is closer to Maya. I see Meg as either a shooting guard or small forward.

6. Talk about Gabby this season has focused on her expanded shooting range, but she has been since high school someone who preferred going to the basket. More of the same? Realistically, does UConn need more points from Williams this year? More consistency would be nice. With some of the load of her defensively I would expect her game to continue to evolve and for her to do things that have us saying: "Did she just do what I thought I saw?!"
Sorry about the 2. Cut and paste embedded outline formatting. I'm not clever enough this morning to stick a question in there.

Reaction Score

My questions:

1. I think Stevens' biggest contribution will be on the defensive end. She provides UConn with a legit 6'5 rim protector that will allow the rest of the defense to gamble more, get out in passing lanes, and play tighter defense because they know if they are beaten they still have Stevens to prevent easy layups.

2. Coombs will be the first freshman ball handling guard off the bench.

3. No, the scoring numbers of Samuelson and Collier are going to go down this year and it will be a more balanced scoring attack. I see all the starters averaging around 15pts a game.

4. Walker will be the first freshman off the bench and provide decent minutes for this team. She will do a little bit of everything in terms of scoring, rebounding, and distributing but she is just a freshman and there will speed bumps along the way. I think a line of 8pts 4rbs 2ast is where she ends up.

5. There are very few things that Williams has not yet shown she can do on a basketball court, consistently making outside jump shots is one of them. I think the development of Williams outside shot will have a much greater effect on her at the next level than it does this year. She has already proven she is capable of dominating a game in many different ways and I look forward to her having a big year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think all this is meaningless speculation. What's important is: since they're fixing the roof at Gampel, will they also make the bathrooms halfway decent????

What do you want bags: privacy screens and the sound of running water pump in? :oops::D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom