getting hosed by the refs again... | The Boneyard

getting hosed by the refs again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Every touch foul called on us. Yet they're over the back on rebounds and reaching in with no calls. Sick of this .

Reaction Score
Be sick of a team that can't defend, pass or shoot. Team has played with no energy or emotion. Has let USF back in with what else is new sloppy play.

Jesus stop bitching about the refs

Reaction Score
can we stop blaming the officials. We are playing poorly, and turning it over/ fouling at an alarming rate.

Reaction Score
I think this game is actually well officiated. It better be, the head of NCAA refs is there.

Reaction Score
The push off on Boat was bad. Not sure what else there is to complain about.

Reaction Score
I think this game is actually well officiated. It better be, the head of NCAA refs is there.

I agree, there were a lot of fouls called because it was a rugged game. If the NCAA wants the games to become more free-flowing then they need to call fouls.

Reaction Score
Damn sometimes we sound link punks, wanting every thing called. If some of you played on the playground I can hear you now:

"Hey, you fouled me"
"Ow that hurt, foul"
"Stop it, you're fouling me"
"Don't play so hard, it hurts....foul"
"Wish we had refs out here, you're fouling me"
"Please don't do that again..... foul"

I just don't understand the crying, but perhaps I didn't play enough organized ball.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
the refs didn't force us to play complacent and sloppy but they did take the rhythm that UConn had going in the first half away.
The officiating has been horrible this year.
Not just AAC but everywhere, The Duke/St Johns game was the same - St Johns got some momentum and all of a sudden whistles/inadvertent whistles/lots of no calls and Duke gets some momentum and the officiating changes again.
It is so inconsistent and seems one sided in spurts.

Reaction Score
I will agree the refs sucked, but it was truly both ways. The touch calls were awful for both teams and they missed some on our guys too. The reality is this team has not idea how to step on the other teams neck when they get up 12-15 points, it's painful.. They make 3 good plays in a row or more than hand it back with stupidity. Need to tighten up the ship if they are to win against Cincy, Tulsa or SMU the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
I always make sure that my schedule does not conflict with any UConn televised, or if near me, live event. Today for the first time, I elected to do something else between noon and 2:30 and recorded the game instead. Believe me, I have never given up on a UConn team. However, after watching this later and fast forwarding and rewinding, when I thought it was necessary, I am sorry to say, but this is not a very good basketball team. All of the problems that reared their ugly heads early in the season are still there! Has there been any improvement? Please tell if there has because I just don't see it, and I not going into the usual details. The officials did not favor USF or UConn. It was pretty evenly called for the most part. What we are seeing is an out of sync team. There is some talent, but really no better or worse than any other team in any conference. I don't really see a chemistry developing here and it could be a problem going forward.

Reaction Score
Every time someone criticizes the refs it turns into an forum about how UCONN is. Give it a rest. We deserve better officiating.
Yes, I was at the game. Yes in the first half the refs were pretty bad to UCONN. not the worst I've ever seen, but not good. Ticky tack fouls on the guards. Turning BRimah into a pinball with no call on the other hand. I think it's usually called a lack of consistency. Second half wasn't as blatant but both teams had a reason to complain. And yes, it did impact the flow of the game.
What I never will understand is that these guys get paid. They are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.They supposedly are evaluated. But I never seem to see improvement as a result of this evaluation.
If the head of NCAA refs was really there, I would expect to see some pink slips for at least one on that crew.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I will agree the refs sucked, but it was truly both ways. The touch calls were awful for both teams and they missed some on our guys too. The reality is this team has not idea how to step on the other teams neck when they get up 12-15 points, it's painful.. They make 3 good plays in a row or more than hand it back with stupidity. Need to tighten up the ship if they are to win against Cincy, Tulsa or SMU the rest of the year.

The team does not seem to have energy. I don't like comparing our men's team to the women's team, but the women's team rarely lacks intensity. There in no reason for the men to be so sporadic. Intensity doesn't mean being emotional or trying to turn it on when they are desperate. It means focus and purpose every minute the player is on the court.

The other mystifying thing about this team is that all of the coaches except one were college guards. I always thought that when JC was coach, the big flaw with him was lack of efficient ball movement, a lot of dependence on a stud breaking down the D one on one. I figured that would change, and once in a while there is evidence of it, but far too infrequently. Their zone offense has improved little since Stanford last year. We have at least 3 guys who we can try to get in the middle of the zone for a mid range jumper or feed who are capable enough and tall enough in Hamilton, Facey and Brimah.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Every time someone criticizes the refs it turns into an forum about how UCONN is. Give it a rest. We deserve better officiating.
Yes, I was at the game. Yes in the first half the refs were pretty bad to UCONN. not the worst I've ever seen, but not good. Ticky tack fouls on the guards. Turning BRimah into a pinball with no call on the other hand. I think it's usually called a lack of consistency. Second half wasn't as blatant but both teams had a reason to complain. And yes, it did impact the flow of the game.
What I never will understand is that these guys get paid. They are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.They supposedly are evaluated. But I never seem to see improvement as a result of this evaluation.
If the head of NCAA refs was really there, I would expect to see some pink slips for at least one on that crew.
I've commented about this during several game chats, but another significant downside of being in the AAC is that we will consistently get officials who are not as good as they might get in the top conferences - and even those guys aren't the premier basketball refs. There are only so many refs to go around and we get the middle of an imperfect to begin with crop. Unfortunately one of the problems with worse than good refs is they tend to be inconsistent - sometimes we get the benefit of that, other times we don't and it's difficult to take. Particularly with a team that has so little margin for error.

All that being said, turnovers, poor free throw shooting and significant lapses on defense for a team that has shown they can be elite defensively are way bigger issues than the refs.

I can't wait - literally cause it's getting late - for the team to put together 40 minutes of basketball where everyone plays to the heights they've all shown in short stretches.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the officiating was horrible, with far too many touch calls taking away from the flow of the game

then we went into some god awful funk that I really can't explain, it was just ugly to watch

then we finished strong (as we started), so I was happy again

Reaction Score
the officiating was horrible, with far too many touch calls taking away from the flow of the game

then we went into some god awful funk that I really can't explain, it was just ugly to watch

then we finished strong (as we started), so I was happy again

You mean :confused::):eek::D

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Gotta love that Amida's second foul was whistled for throwing the chicken wing that Nastic abused him with in Cali; despite the fact he had received an entry pass directly under the rim and didn't move his defender off of his position. It was later used against him in the post to get position on a play he was whistled on defensively. If I were Amida I would have lost my 3 games ago. He makes a few bad fouls and the refs anticipate the rest as a result.

Reaction Score
UConn played pretty awful for extended stretches yesterday. I think they had turnovers on four straight possessions, but I also don't think it's ridiculous to criticize the refs either.

This is from a Borges article, "Neither team scored a field goal over the final five minutes, 47 seconds of the opening half, during which a combined 20 foul shots were attempted."

When refs are calling fouls like that, it crushes the flow of the game and can be tough to bounce back from mentally. UConn deserves most of the blame for playing poorly yesterday, but the officiating didn't help.

Reaction Score
We should have won by 20+. Brimah needs to keep his hands and arms in. He got caught because the ref had the perfect angle to see it. And by the way Bimah had the hand caught in the cookie jar look afterwards. He knew. Tsam is playing himself to the last man in the rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom