Get ready for Geno's best coaching job....(ever?) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Get ready for Geno's best coaching job....(ever?)

Reaction Score
View attachment 45291

In 1985, Geno's first year at UConn, the Huskies went 12-15 and finished 7th in the Big East. That was Geno's only losing season. What followed was 1,050 more victories, 11 National Championships and more recently, 12 consecutive trips to the Final Four. What could possibly make this upcoming season Geno's best, given 9 AP Coach of the Year awards, membership in both the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and an overall winning percentage of 88.4 % at UConn?

First, a housekeeping note. Any reference to Geno carries the implied inclusion of CD and the rest of the fine UConn staff over the years. Geno gives them tons of credit for his record and championships. :)

Second, before explaining why this might be Geno's toughest coaching job in years, let's eliminate the excuse that the two best players graduated. Yes, Napheesa and Lou are gone and took with them 45.2% of Uconn's scoring (1,422 points), 40% of UConn's rebounds (626) and 35.5% of UConn's assists (266) from last season. But that happens all the time. When Kia, Gabby and Z left a year ago, 43.7% of the scoring graduated. When Stewie, MoJeff and Tuck graduated, it was worse at 48.8% of the total points. Someone always steps up and fills the void. In 2012-13 the Huskies averaged 82.5 pts per game. Last season, it was 82.8. In between, it has been as high as 89 and as low as 82. Not an issue...

Three factors that could make this Geno's most challenging coaching year, in a long time, are the number of new players, the killer schedule and the pressure of 12 straight Final Fours & being every opponent's biggest game. It is not just that 4 players are new and replacing the 2 that graduated. A case can be made for any of them emerging as a starter with the Core Four (Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia). Geno has a freshman who is probably the most athletic player since Gabby, two transfers who led their previous COLLEGE teams in scoring and a 19-year-old with 2 years of playing pro basketball in Europe. Add in the unknown of whether 1 of the transfers can even play this season and you have the Rubik's Cube of personnel decisions. Figuring out who starts and when subs come in will be harder for Geno than it has been in a long time.

The schedule is ridiculously hard, just the way Geno likes it. UConn will host the other 3 teams from last year's Final Four. Yes, Oregon, Notre Dame and Baylor all play the Huskies this year. When was the last time that happened? Throw in tough games with South Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma along with Tennessee and California. The final year of AAC opponents may not be particularly hard, but the travel is brutal with trips to Florida (2), Texas (2), Ohio, Tennessee and North Carolina. Geno will have plenty of "teachable moments" to get ready for April. :D

On a team with one probable Senior starter and 4 fresh faces, the pressure to win will take a toll. UConn's record since Stewie's sophomore year is an incredible 223-6. Last season's 3 losses equaled the previous five seasons. Geno doesn't feel pressure, but his challenge will be keeping the young Huskies from being distracted by all the banners on the wall & possible missteps along the way to Final Four #13. :eek:

In summary, blending in 4 new talented players, navigating the hardest schedule in decades and keeping the pressure from impacting play on the court will make 2019-20 the hardest coaching job for Geno in quite a long time. Reaching another Final Four and possibly winning NC #12 might make the case for Geno's best coaching job. Or maybe not... :cool:

Thoughts??

Go Huskies..!!
As usual great posting, nice analysis and good thought processes. Having said that I disagree with the premise that this will be Geno's toughest coaching season . Remember the Charde Frosh year, Soph year, Jr year, etc. Frustrations after frustrations. Along the way to the 12 FF/ The NC/ The winning seasons he had some really poor seasons , that is for Geno eta al.
I look at this season with some roses in my glasses that may be true. But the talent that arrived this year, albeit no true Center except a Center in Training ONO, Westbrook is Division one burned in. Ania is high level WBB as a Pro experienced, that to me trumps solid HS play. Evelyn, Touly, are really needed and big questions marks. Aubrey Griffin is a TRUE freshman however talented and leaping she may be--but potential galore.
Compared to his terrible teams of the past this is a great year. Having said that if you look back over the last 3 or 4 years they were his best coaching--true there was Napheesa, Gabby, KLS but this team has their equivalent in CW, Megan, Aubrey, Ania Remember Gabby, KLS, Collier weren't themselves until their Jr years. Also, I'm a believer that cream rises and kids will do what must be done if the right motivator --motivates.
Geno will, in my less than humble opinion, lose at least 3 games and still make the FF. The truly question mark for this team is how well will it play against BIG teams. Average teams will be out hustled, out played, out coached, out lasted.
Geno will do a great job, as usual, he will enjoy the season beginning for start to finish assuring another 5 or 10 years possible 20. It will be an excellent coaching year that's true, but he has done equal or better.

Reaction Score
The only player you listed, that Griffin or Adebayo could possibly start over, is Nelson-Ododa. Barring any injury/suspension/etc. there is ZERO chance that Dangerfield, Walker, and Williams don't start!

Reaction Score
With all due respect, Megan Walker is basically a stand-still shooter .. she has shown little skill at driving to the hoop, handling the ball in the open court nor scoring underneath in traffic .. Griffin excels in these areas and is just as good a rebounder, I've seen her play several times. Rebounding will be critical for this team and I think EA will play a lot, and Touly too if she's healthy. Maybe Makurat excels at rebounding, we'll see. EW's availability [or not] will, of course, change a few things...

Reaction Score
With all due respect, Megan Walker is basically a stand-still shooter .. she has shown little skill at driving to the hoop, handling the ball in the open court nor scoring underneath in traffic .. Griffin excels in these areas and is just as good a rebounder, I've seen her play several times. Rebounding will be critical for this team and I think EA will play a lot, and Touly too if she's healthy. Maybe Makurat excels at rebounding, we'll see. EW's availability [or not] will, of course, change a few things...
Are you drunk? Must be trolling.

Reaction Score
IMO not much chance that CD, CW & ONO are not starting .. the rest is up in the air...

Reaction Score
Didn't know that, thanks! .. but the Huskies are still playing Baylor, ND & Oregon this year, right?

Reaction Score
I think that Geno is going to enjoy this year much more than some others. He has a mix of veterans, young players and transfers. I think he looks like this as a challenge more so than many other years and Geno has always welcomed a challenge.

Reaction Score
No matter who earns the 5 starting positions the only thing I hope for each season is that the girls are healthy, no serious injuries or illnesses the whole season! Then let the chips fall where they may!
With the best coaching staff in Division I and a bunch of athletic girls if healthy, anything is possible!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
View attachment 45291

In 1985, Geno's first year at UConn, the Huskies went 12-15 and finished 7th in the Big East. That was Geno's only losing season. What followed was 1,050 more victories, 11 National Championships and more recently, 12 consecutive trips to the Final Four. What could possibly make this upcoming season Geno's best, given 9 AP Coach of the Year awards, membership in both the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and an overall winning percentage of 88.4 % at UConn?

First, a housekeeping note. Any reference to Geno carries the implied inclusion of CD and the rest of the fine UConn staff over the years. Geno gives them tons of credit for his record and championships. :)

Second, before explaining why this might be Geno's toughest coaching job in years, let's eliminate the excuse that the two best players graduated. Yes, Napheesa and Lou are gone and took with them 45.2% of Uconn's scoring (1,422 points), 40% of UConn's rebounds (626) and 35.5% of UConn's assists (266) from last season. But that happens all the time. When Kia, Gabby and Z left a year ago, 43.7% of the scoring graduated. When Stewie, MoJeff and Tuck graduated, it was worse at 48.8% of the total points. Someone always steps up and fills the void. In 2012-13 the Huskies averaged 82.5 pts per game. Last season, it was 82.8. In between, it has been as high as 89 and as low as 82. Not an issue...

Three factors that could make this Geno's most challenging coaching year, in a long time, are the number of new players, the killer schedule and the pressure of 12 straight Final Fours & being every opponent's biggest game. It is not just that 4 players are new and replacing the 2 that graduated. A case can be made for any of them emerging as a starter with the Core Four (Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia). Geno has a freshman who is probably the most athletic player since Gabby, two transfers who led their previous COLLEGE teams in scoring and a 19-year-old with 2 years of playing pro basketball in Europe. Add in the unknown of whether 1 of the transfers can even play this season and you have the Rubik's Cube of personnel decisions. Figuring out who starts and when subs come in will be harder for Geno than it has been in a long time.

The schedule is ridiculously hard, just the way Geno likes it. UConn will host the other 3 teams from last year's Final Four. Yes, Oregon, Notre Dame and Baylor all play the Huskies this year. When was the last time that happened? Throw in tough games with South Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma along with Tennessee and California. The final year of AAC opponents may not be particularly hard, but the travel is brutal with trips to Florida (2), Texas (2), Ohio, Tennessee and North Carolina. Geno will have plenty of "teachable moments" to get ready for April. :D

On a team with one probable Senior starter and 4 fresh faces, the pressure to win will take a toll. UConn's record since Stewie's sophomore year is an incredible 223-6. Last season's 3 losses equaled the previous five seasons. Geno doesn't feel pressure, but his challenge will be keeping the young Huskies from being distracted by all the banners on the wall & possible missteps along the way to Final Four #13. :eek:

In summary, blending in 4 new talented players, navigating the hardest schedule in decades and keeping the pressure from impacting play on the court will make 2019-20 the hardest coaching job for Geno in quite a long time. Reaching another Final Four and possibly winning NC #12 might make the case for Geno's best coaching job. Or maybe not... :cool:

Thoughts??

Go Huskies..!!

Disagree with a lot of this. The schedule is on par for a normal schedule. Calling Ohio State or Oklahoma "tough games" is laughable. Tennessee is a total wild card, ND is a wild card with losing everyone, and Cal likely isn't going to be very good. Tough games are Oregon, Baylor, South Caroline and Tennessee/Notre Dame as wild cards. AAC will be awful once again.

Starting lineup is not going to be difficult to decipher either, especially when you have ONO, Williams, Walker and Dangerfield as locks. If Westbrook is eligible, she gets the 5th spot. The HS rankings on those players are #5, #1, #1, #3 and #2 from their respective classes. That would be the most stacked starting 5 based on HS ranking in NCAA history. Chances are it starts out as Irwin if Westbrook is ineligible.

The lineup doesn't feature 4 fresh faces either. Walker is an upperclassman who had 14/8 in the Final Four last year and averaged double figures. Williams had 19 in the Final Four vs Notre Dame and was a double figure scorer as a frosh. ONO played extremely well against ND both meetings. The lineup features potentially 1 fresh face if Irwin doesn't start, and it is an All-SEC player in Evina Westbrook. UCONN's starting lineup will be stacked.

If anything the pressure is much lower on this squad than it has been the last 3 years. The past 3 seasons you've had:
2017-the 100+ game winning streak and the pressure of going undefeated
2018-preseason #1, everyone expected UCONN to run the table. The pressure caught up to them in the Final Four
2019-KLS/Collier were storied players with their last chance at a title

2020 the pressure is off. UCONN is no longer unbeatable. Them losing a game isn't the biggest story in sports anymore. They're still a goliath but if anything it'll be easier to play without a ton of pressure to win a championship since more eyes will be on Oregon/Baylor. I don't think anyone is too caught up on the Final Four streak either...it's extremely impressive, but I am guessing it isn't something that players are worried about having snapped compared to the long win streaks.

This will be the first time in a while that UCONN has to play on the road in regionals though. They wont have homecourt advantage all the way to the Final Four for the first time since 2014.

Reaction Score
I don't think these players - (Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia) - will be starters at mid-season unless they earn it, which I don't think they will .. too much talent coming in esp Griffin who, as I said before, will probly lead the Huskies in scoring .. the so-called Core will morph into something different as the season moves on .. and, suffice to say, it's about minutes played, not starting or being the 'Core' that counts, n'est-ce pas?
If those four are beaten for starting positions then UConn will put an unbeatable team on the floor. Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Disagree with a lot of this. The schedule is on par for a normal schedule. Calling Ohio State or Oklahoma "tough games" is laughable. Tennessee is a total wild card, ND is a wild card with losing everyone, and Cal likely isn't going to be very good. Tough games are Oregon, Baylor, South Caroline and Tennessee/Notre Dame as wild cards. AAC will be awful once again.

Starting lineup is not going to be difficult to decipher either, especially when you have ONO, Williams, Walker and Dangerfield as locks. If Westbrook is eligible, she gets the 5th spot. The HS rankings on those players are #5, #1, #1, #3 and #2 from their respective classes. That would be the most stacked starting 5 based on HS ranking in NCAA history. Chances are it starts out as Irwin if Westbrook is ineligible.

The lineup doesn't feature 4 fresh faces either. Walker is an upperclassman who had 14/8 in the Final Four last year and averaged double figures. Williams had 19 in the Final Four vs Notre Dame and was a double figure scorer as a frosh. ONO played extremely well against ND both meetings. The lineup features potentially 1 fresh face if Irwin doesn't start, and it is an All-SEC player in Evina Westbrook. UCONN's starting lineup will be stacked.

If anything the pressure is much lower on this squad than it has been the last 3 years. The past 3 seasons you've had:
2017-the 100+ game winning streak and the pressure of going undefeated
2018-preseason #1, everyone expected UCONN to run the table. The pressure caught up to them in the Final Four
2019-KLS/Collier were storied players with their last chance at a title

2020 the pressure is off. UCONN is no longer unbeatable. Them losing a game isn't the biggest story in sports anymore. They're still a goliath but if anything it'll be easier to play without a ton of pressure to win a championship since more eyes will be on Oregon/Baylor. I don't think anyone is too caught up on the Final Four streak either...it's extremely impressive, but I am guessing it isn't something that players are worried about having snapped compared to the long win streaks.

This will be the first time in a while that UCONN has to play on the road in regionals though. They wont have homecourt advantage all the way to the Final Four for the first time since 2014.

The pressure on UConn will be extremely high in 2020! They will have Sr Walker(#1), Sr/RS Jr Westbrook(#2), Jr Williams(#1), Nelson-Ododa(#5) Soph Griffin(#21), Soph Makurat, Frosh Bueckers(#1), Frosh Muhl(#1 INT), Frosh Mclean(#32). That team will be extremely stacked, with the possibility of adding a couple more pieces for 2020.

Reaction Score
The pressure on UConn will be extremely high in 2020! They will have Sr Walker(#1), Sr/RS Jr Westbrook(#2), Jr Williams(#1), Nelson-Ododa(#5) Soph Griffin(#21), Soph Makurat, Frosh Bueckers(#1), Frosh Muhl(#1 INT), Frosh Mclean(#32). That team will be extremely stacked, with the possibility of adding a couple more pieces for 2020.

Reaction Score
Yes .. your analysis seems 100% right to me...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Throw in tough games with South Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma along with Tennessee and California.

You have an interesting definition of tough games. Other than South Carolina, all of those teams were mediocre last season. Some may improve, but some are going the opposite direction. Cal lost almost everybody from their team. That should be an absolute blowout for the Huskies. Most of those are home games, where UConn just doesn't lose. Oklahoma had no business keeping the game as close as they did last year in Norman, that should be another blowout win for the Huskies this season. Ohio St., don't see that one being competitive either.

Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you think Geno will sit a senior (one that is far better and more valuable than you say) for a freshman, you know nothing about Geno

Reaction Score
Well,....2 cents worth. There are a lot folks here that remember the two years after Sue Bird et. al. graduated and Taurasi led the team to two National Championships. I would submit that these years were challenging for the Man just as well. I also agree with some of the other expressed thoughts about difficult challenges for the Coaching Team as well. This year Coach did gather up some talented folks. The challenge as stated is making them a team.

In so far as Westbrook is concerned, I am hopeful as I am that she and CD will be in good health to participate on this team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If you think Geno will sit a senior (one that is far better and more valuable than you say) for a freshman, you know nothing about Geno

Megan will be a junior in 2019-20, not a senior, but otherwise I agree with the point that you are making. Even if Jingo is right (which I doubt) that Aubrey has more physical ability than Megan, there is still the issue of the learning curve for the UConn offense and defense. It took Megan a full year to learn that, and it is quite conceivable that it could take Aubrey a similar amount of time.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
To quote John McEnroe..."Tu ne peux pas etre serieux.." (You can't be serious...) :rolleyes:
Another famous French philosopher said, "Je pense, donc je sui." This translates to Rene Descartes famous quote "I think , therefore I am." There is a seldom heard corollary which applies here. It is "Je ne pense pas, donc je ne suis pas." ;) This corollary allows one to ignore much of what is said!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom