Get ready for Geno's best coaching job....(ever?) | The Boneyard

Get ready for Geno's best coaching job....(ever?)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Crystal & Geno.jpeg

In 1985, Geno's first year at UConn, the Huskies went 12-15 and finished 7th in the Big East. That was Geno's only losing season. What followed was 1,050 more victories, 11 National Championships and more recently, 12 consecutive trips to the Final Four. What could possibly make this upcoming season Geno's best, given 9 AP Coach of the Year awards, membership in both the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and an overall winning percentage of 88.4 % at UConn?

First, a housekeeping note. Any reference to Geno carries the implied inclusion of CD and the rest of the fine UConn staff over the years. Geno gives them tons of credit for his record and championships. :)

Second, before explaining why this might be Geno's toughest coaching job in years, let's eliminate the excuse that the two best players graduated. Yes, Napheesa and Lou are gone and took with them 45.2% of Uconn's scoring (1,422 points), 40% of UConn's rebounds (626) and 35.5% of UConn's assists (266) from last season. But that happens all the time. When Kia, Gabby and Z left a year ago, 43.7% of the scoring graduated. When Stewie, MoJeff and Tuck graduated, it was worse at 48.8% of the total points. Someone always steps up and fills the void. In 2012-13 the Huskies averaged 82.5 pts per game. Last season, it was 82.8. In between, it has been as high as 89 and as low as 82. Not an issue...

Three factors that could make this Geno's most challenging coaching year, in a long time, are the number of new players, the killer schedule and the pressure of 12 straight Final Fours & being every opponent's biggest game. It is not just that 4 players are new and replacing the 2 that graduated. A case can be made for any of them emerging as a starter with the Core Four (Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia). Geno has a freshman who is probably the most athletic player since Gabby, two transfers who led their previous COLLEGE teams in scoring and a 19-year-old with 2 years of playing pro basketball in Europe. Add in the unknown of whether 1 of the transfers can even play this season and you have the Rubik's Cube of personnel decisions. Figuring out who starts and when subs come in will be harder for Geno than it has been in a long time.

The schedule is ridiculously hard, just the way Geno likes it. UConn will host the other 3 teams from last year's Final Four. Yes, Oregon, Notre Dame and Baylor all play the Huskies this year. When was the last time that happened? Throw in tough games with South Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma along with Tennessee and California. The final year of AAC opponents may not be particularly hard, but the travel is brutal with trips to Florida (2), Texas (2), Ohio, Tennessee and North Carolina. Geno will have plenty of "teachable moments" to get ready for April. :D

On a team with one probable Senior starter and 4 fresh faces, the pressure to win will take a toll. UConn's record since Stewie's sophomore year is an incredible 223-6. Last season's 3 losses equaled the previous five seasons. Geno doesn't feel pressure, but his challenge will be keeping the young Huskies from being distracted by all the banners on the wall & possible missteps along the way to Final Four #13. :eek:

In summary, blending in 4 new talented players, navigating the hardest schedule in decades and keeping the pressure from impacting play on the court will make 2019-20 the hardest coaching job for Geno in quite a long time. Reaching another Final Four and possibly winning NC #12 might make the case for Geno's best coaching job. Or maybe not... :cool:

Thoughts??

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 45291

In 1985, Geno's first year at UConn, the Huskies went 12-15 and finished 7th in the Big East. That was Geno's only losing season. That was followed by 1,050 more victories, 11 National Championships and more recently, 12 consecutive trips to the Final Four. What could possibly make this upcoming season Geno's best, given 9 AP Coach of the Year awards, membership in both the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and an overall winning percentage of 88.4 % at UConn?

First, a housekeeping note. Any reference to Geno carries the implied inclusion of CD and the rest of the fine UConn staff over the years. Geno gives them tons of credit for his record and championships. :)

Second, before explaining why this might be Geno's toughest coaching job in years, let's eliminate the excuse that the two best players graduated. Yes, Napheesa and Lou are gone and took with them 45.2% of Uconn's scoring (1,422 points), 40% of UConn's rebounds (626) and 35.5% of UConn's assists (266) from last season. But that happens all the time. When Kia, Gabby and Z left a year ago, 43.7% of the scoring graduated. When Stewie, MoJeff and Tuck graduated, it was worse at 48.8% of the total points. Someone always steps up and fills the void. In 2012-13 the Huskies averaged 82.5 pts per game. Last season, it was 82.8. In between, it has been as high as 89 and as low as 82. Not an issue...

Three factors that could make this Geno's most challenging coaching year, in a long time, are the number of new players, the killer schedule and the pressure of 12 straight Final Fours & being every opponent's biggest game. It is not just that 4 players are new and replacing the 2 that graduated. A case can be made for any of them emerging as a starter with the Core Four (Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia). Geno has a freshman who is probably the most athletic player since Gabby, two transfers who led their previous COLLEGE teams in scoring and a 19-year-old with 2 years of playing pro basketball in Europe. Add in the unknown of whether 1 of the transfers can even play this season and you have the Rubik's Cube of personnel decisions. Figuring out who starts and when subs come in will be harder for Geno than it has been in a long time.

The schedule is ridiculously hard, just the way Geno likes it. UConn will host the other 3 teams from last year's Final Four. Yes, Oregon, Notre Dame and Baylor all play the Huskies this year. When was the last time that happened? Throw in tough games with South Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma along with Tennessee and California. The final year of AAC opponents may not be particularly hard, but the travel is brutal with trips to Florida (2), Texas (2), Ohio, Tennessee and North Carolina. Geno will have plenty of "teachable moments" to get ready for April. :D

On a team with one probable Senior starter and 4 fresh faces, the pressure to win will take a toll. UConn's record since Stewie's sophomore year is an incredible 223-6. Last season's 3 losses equaled the previous five seasons. Geno doesn't feel pressure, but his challenge will be keeping the young Huskies from being distracted by all the banners on the wall & possible missteps along the way to Final Four #13. :eek:

In summary, blending in 4 new talented players, navigating the hardest schedule in decades and keeping the pressure from impacting play on the court will make 2019-20 the hardest coaching job for Geno in quite a long time. Reaching another Final Four and possibly winning NC #12 might make the case for Geno's best coaching job. Or maybe not... :cool:

Thoughts??

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
UConn played Louisville, N Dame and Baylor last year, all on the road. This year those games (sub Or for Louis) are at home. Still very tough but not as tough as last year.

I agree that there is a ton of evaluation coming and finding the right combinations will be complicated but when you look at all the potential with 2 rising sophomores and a pro-ready Euro it has to be exciting for the coaches. And I strongly agree that too much is made about the points leaving.
Tough coaching to me is when a lot more talent leaves than arrives. UConn is still deeply talented. All they lack is experience and IMO they will be a very very good team by March.

Reaction Score
I don't think these players - (Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia) - will be starters at mid-season unless they earn it, which I don't think they will .. too much talent coming in esp Griffin who, as I said before, will probly lead the Huskies in scoring .. the so-called Core will morph into something different as the season moves on .. and, suffice to say, it's about minutes played, not starting or being the 'Core' that counts, n'est-ce pas?

Reaction Score
I don't think these players - (Crystal, Megan, Christyn and Olivia) - will be starters at mid-season unless they earn it, which I don't think they will .. too much talent coming in esp Griffin who, as I said before, will probly lead the Huskies in scoring .. the so-called Core will morph into something different as the season moves on .. and, suffice to say, it's about minutes played, not starting or being the 'Core' that counts, n'est-ce pas?
0.0% chance Crystal Dangerfield, CW, Megan, and ONO aren't starters going forward unless one of them gets hurt in the next three months. What talent is coming in that's going to displace two starters that are upperclassmen, and two others that have a year under their belt already? Never mind the fact that two of the four starters were #1 recruits, and the other two #3 and #7 in their classes. Griffin may be great, but she has yet to play or practice for one minute in college, and even Maya Moore and Taurasi weren't starters when they first came to Storrs. Westbrook might not even be allowed to play this season, Adebayo is not some great talent everyone but Murray State missed, and Makurat is in the same boat as Griffin. In my mind the fifth starting spot is the only one up for grabs, and if Westbrook gets the green light, that spot is probably hers.

Reaction Score

You are likely to miss Thanksgiving. I hope you wake up by Christmas. :)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

To quote John McEnroe..."Tu ne peux pas etre serieux.." (You can't be serious...) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
0.0% chance Crystal Dangerfield, CW, Megan, and ONO aren't starters going forward unless one of them gets hurt in the next three months. What talent is coming in that's going to displace two starters that are upperclassmen, and two others that have a year under their belt already? Never mind the fact that two of the four starters were #1 recruits, and the other two #3 and #7 in their classes. Griffin may be great, but she has yet to play or practice for one minute in college, and even Maya Moore and Taurasi weren't starters when they first came to Storrs. Westbrook might not even be allowed to play this season, Adebayo is not some great talent everyone but Murray State missed, and Makurat is in the same boat as Griffin. In my mind the fifth starting spot is the only one up for grabs, and if Westbrook gets the green light, that spot is probably hers.
Any idea when we will get the answer on Westbrook?

Reaction Score
View attachment 45291

In 1985, Geno's first year at UConn, the Huskies went 12-15 and finished 7th in the Big East. That was Geno's only losing season. What followed was 1,050 more victories, 11 National Championships and more recently, 12 consecutive trips to the Final Four. What could possibly make this upcoming season Geno's best, given 9 AP Coach of the Year awards, membership in both the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and an overall winning percentage of 88.4 % at UConn?

Thoughts??

Go Huskies..!!
Disagree

Figuring out who starts is easy for him when he has the talent in front of him to evaluate——hard is when you don’t have the depth of talent.

The strength of schedule helps test the talent in regular season games that only really count toward what seed they get when the games do count.

Life is good for this guy.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I just hope Geno enforces, "Bring your game, not your name" ... then we'll see, eh?

Reaction Score
I think AG & EA will be playing more minutes than others [read Core] before BE conference play starts, nicht wahr?

Reaction Score
Don't think so .. we'll see .. you probably have not seen the newcomers play ...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think his best and possibly toughest coaching job was 2016-17. He has a lot more at his disposal this coming year than he did then. He lost Stewie, Tuck, and Jefferson, and got Dangerfield, Irwin, and Bent in their place. He effectively had a bench of one and a totally unproven point guard. I think that was pretty challenging. Not that this year won't be, but this year he has a grad transfer, a two-year pro, and a very talented daughter of a WNBA player/coach. Compare those three to the three in 2016.

Reaction Score
I think AG & EA will be playing more minutes than others [read Core] before BE conference play starts, nicht wahr?

The only player you listed, that Griffin or Adebayo could possibly start over, is Nelson-Ododa. Barring any injury/suspension/etc. there is ZERO chance that Dangerfield, Walker, and Williams don't start!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stupidest comment I’ve read all off season

Reaction Score

Then who are the starting 5? And who is running point??

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I will try to reserve judgment on any coaching grades and team performance grades once we know who is eligible to play this season. I haven't paid attention to every thread about every (possible) player this season because after reading page after page of a thread I would see that the OP player 1) had transferred to another school (I am referring to the 100s of non UConn players that entered the portal), 2) is a 20-21 recruit, with no signed LOI, 3) is a 20-21 (or later) recruit that has not committed to UConn, 4) a foreign player that has not committed to UConn or 5) is an 8th grader that a BYer saw on YouTube.
I am too lazy in my old age to continue to sift through dozens of threads just to figure out who is actually on the 2019-2020 team at this point in time AND which players are actually eligible to play this season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Back to the original premise....

I dunno, he's got a lot of (potential) talent
or to put it another way...
The cupboard is hardly bare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics