Georgia State Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Georgia State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

“It’s just inconceivable to me that this happened to us, but it did. And we’re an 0-2 football team that just got beat soundly by what I think is a good Georgia State team and we have to do a lot of soul-searching,” Mora said. “Because right now we’re not very good. To run the ball 31 times for 50 yards and turn the ball over the way we did is not very good. And you know what? It all starts with this guy that’s talking right now. Everyone in (the locker room) has to look at themselves hard, and it starts with me. So that’s what we’ll do.”

Reaction Score

The scariest quote, "they changed their defense ?" That's all JM got out of this ? Not that when your OC spreads out the other teams D with 4 wide it creates more options on offense for players in space and gives them something to actually cover & worry about, SMH !

“I thought Ta’Quan brought us good energy,” Mora said on the UConn Sports Network Postgame Show on 97-9 ESPN, Hartford. “But to me – I’m not talking about Ta’Quan now, I’m talking about his stats – those are empty yards. The game was, you know, we were fighting but it was a struggle. They changed the way they played defense, so I mean, he competed, I love the fact that he competed. It’s hard for me to find any positives right now.”

Reaction Score
It's not even that. It's that the OC needs to adjust to what he's seeing. GA ST was stacking the box, so Charlton should have let Fagnano throw the ball. But instead it was first down run after first down run into 8 or 9 defenders for the whole first half.

It was clear halfway through the first quarter that GA St was daring us to throw. Charlton/Mora simply refused to take that risk. Add in a muffed punt and some iffy penalties and the thing was out of our reach by half.

If we had adjusted to what the defense was giving us, who knows how that first half could have played out.
Charlton is on very thin ice. His decision to start Fagnano over Roberson may have cost us. What are Joe Moorehead or Rhett Lashlee doing nowadays? UConn should keep Charlton, but not as OC. He is valuable to UConn in other ways.

Reaction Score
Can’t put that much stress on a decent defense by not getting first downs. The fumbled punt was the straw that broke the huskies back. Start the Ro’s, Roberson and Rosa - and put in some creativity. Embarrassing all around.

Reaction Score
I think the team has three major issues:

1. Foot speed on defense. Not much we can do at this point.
2. Offensive play-calling. Excluding penalties incurred on second down where we had to replay the down, our average second down was 2nd and 8.82 yards to go. Charlton's inability to call plays to get ahead of the sticks makes the entire program look incompetent.
3. Fagnano over Roberson. Its crazy to me that Mora allowed Charlton to pick Fagnano over Roberson. Picking the worse player from a FCS program over a better player from PSU is just nuts. Edsall-level mishandling at QB.

It doesn't really make sense to fire an OC after two games but until Mora dumps Charlbum its going to be hard to believe in this team.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Unlike many on this board, I am not ready to quit following the team. No doubt about it, this game was a punch to the gut. I certainly don't feel any better this morning. But I still think that Mora can be UConn's General Grant. It will not be easy as there are no automatic wins among the future opponents. Even FIU scored 46 points yesterday. The entire team needs to dig deep and get better real fast.

Anyone who's still posting here after the last 13 years is probably not jumping ship lol.

Reaction Score
Plenty of blame to go around. The lack of effort was the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. My 9 year old daughter asked me why the UCONN players weren't running after the other team's QB when he broke the long touchdown run. She's maybe watched 15 min of football in her entire life, and that was her one comment about the game today. The lack of effort was that obvious. I think the lack of effort is also a big part of our tackling woes. There needs to be a desire to hit the other guy and drag him to the ground. I'm just not seeing the effort and desire.
What the hell happened to the running backs and wide receivers we had last year ?????

Reaction Score
I think the team has three major issues:

1. Foot speed on defense. Not much we can do at this point.
2. Offensive play-calling. Excluding penalties incurred on second down where we had to replay the down, our average second down was 2nd and 8.82 yards to go. Charlton's inability to call plays to get ahead of the sticks makes the entire program look incompetent.
3. Fagnano over Roberson. Its crazy to me that Mora allowed Charlton to pick Fagnano over Roberson. Picking the worse player from a FCS program over a better player from PSU is just nuts. Edsall-level mishandling at QB.

It doesn't really make sense to fire an OC after two games but until Mora dumps Charlbum its going to be hard to believe in this team.
Charlton is only making $125,000 more than Joe Moorehead is making at Akron. Call him up.

Reaction Score
Roberson must be QB1.

Charlton's leash needs to be shorter than short
OC should go to Sammis, the guy who understands our line the best. I bet TE utilization would increase, useless bubble screens would decrease. Eliminate the #wallofscrimmage!
He is the one most ready to jump ship because of the success the line has had since he arrived (whether it was all his doing or not). Promoting to OC is a logical step here.

Reaction Score
I realize I’m mostly reiterating what others have said at this point and now just venting, but that was disheartening and embarrassing. It seemed like we took monumental steps forward between last season and this off-season becoming just a competent, marketable football program (and everyone knows how much they emphasized marketing) but last night was easily two giant steps back.

All this lip service about “winning for the fans”, Packing the Rent, thinking we had a chance at a P5 invite, the training camp videos, etc., what’s it all for now? I’m not giving up on Mora or the players but there’s clearly some personnel changes that need to be made on offense and up in the booth.

Reaction Score
OC should go to Sammis, the guy who understands our line the best. I bet TE utilization would increase, useless bubble screens would decrease. Eliminate the #wallofscrimmage!
He is the one most ready to jump ship because of the success the line has had since he arrived (whether it was all his doing or not). Promoting to OC is a logical step here.

Have we already forgotten the ineptitude of our offense the last time we had an OL guy as our OC? Granted, Sammis is also listed as our "run coordinator" too, but I think you get my point...

Reaction Score
I think the Duke game will get a good turnout if weather is decent - The rest of the home schedule could be rough

Reaction Score
Let's see the line play better! Starts with them and we have two weeks of not much production

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
One play call that still kinda mind boggling to me. Down 28-0, 4th and 2 at midfield and we punt. That’s when you knew game was truly over
And we ran it 3 straight times before punting. Not sure on what plangent any coach could think that’s smart football if they’re actually trying to win the game.
CF140020-BA6E-4867-8BE6-2E17ADF1DE35.jpeg

Reaction Score
I am at a loss for words with how we were able to physically match up with NC state in the trenches, and got totally blown up in the trenches against GA st
Armstrong didn’t have the legs or even the passing ability that Grainger had. That being said, I would give the defense a passing grade. Their problem is, thanks to the offense going 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, they were on the field almost the whole game. They were gassed in the 2nd half. That forced fumble by Mitchell was a key play that got waisted.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
After sleeping on it, I think we shouldn’t panic. I am concerned Mora is losing the team given the effort issues. But he still knows how to coach. That said, there is no universe in which I trust my or any of your judgment on the starting QB over Mora’s. I think our talent may just be what it is.

My bigger concern is that the coaches know we have some serious talent deficits and that is why our offense looks like a 5th grade pee wee team’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom