Georgia State Post Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Georgia State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no excuse for the bad showing we have had running the ball with 4 returning starting offensive lineman and Rosa returning. Brewton and Houston are not going to be able to take the pounding inside all season and should be used on the outside or in the slot. Occasional jet sweep or pass to them in the flat. The L-Ville transfer Mitchell and Cam Edwards can run from the backfield. We don't have one TE that can run block? Very poor start to the season for Charlton. At the Spring game Fagano was not impressive. When he was named the starter I thought maybe Roberson was still not 100%. Roberson needs to start this week. And if Buckman is going to remain as punt returner then fair catch all of them.

Reaction Score
Between penalties and negative yardage plays we put ourselves in 3rd and 14-17 at least 4 or 5 times. I cant remember so many 3rd and 10+ situations in a game.
There were 7 3rd and 14+ yards for UConn. They made 1 first down and would have made another, but for a fumble. Can't have that happen that many times in a game.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
There was definitely something odd about starting Fagnano.

In Charlton’s head he probably thought it was the right call, But this just shows how hopelessly out of touch he is.
Agree with this as far as it goes. What's most disturbing to me is that it potentially implies a level of disconnect on Mora's part. It's inconceivable to me that the level of discord we're positing could go unnoticed, which belies all that we saw from Mora's first year. I find it all very confusing, disturbing, and I really can't make heads or tails of it.

Reaction Score
All of these things can be true at the same time:
  • Yesterday was a disaster
  • The pick of Fagnano at QB was a complete mistake
  • Charlton is squarely on the hot seat, but it is not time for AD DB to step in and force him to be fired
  • The 5-year trajectory of the program was not altered yesterday
  • Yesterday did not "erase" the accomplishments of last season
  • Mora is not a failure
  • The season is not a failure

DCT

Reaction Score
Roberson was always the guy. Jim and Nick need to answer for what they saw in Fagnano that led to them throwing away 2 winnable games.

The silver lining is we might have our man finally at QB.
I agree about Roberson, the only thing I can think of is maybe Roberson wasn't 100 percent as season got close. close. On other hand game was over when we got going. Next game will tell.

Reaction Score
I agree you are totally overreacting…from someone know as Mora4Prez too.

I like the positive perspective Shizzle took after the Boneyard meltdown last night…

I am going to remain positive going forward as bad as that game was last night. I have full confidence in Mora turning this around….he has done it before and he will do it again….we will start that turnaround beginning next week.

We have Roberson as our QB going forward which is what most fans want….I will believe the coaching staff that Roberson had a hand issue which was the reason they didn’t feel they could go with him….so the went with Fagnano and it obviously didn’t work it out….so now we have our guy

Roberson gives us a duel threat now and can stretch the field with his arm….think the team will rally around him as the starter and we will see a better looking Husky team and a much different game plan.

Think the running game will open up as well given the change of QB.

We are back at home for 3 games….we need fans to not abandon the team after that game…let’s regroup and get out for FIU!
Well given my username you should know that I’m not someone who hates our football program. In fact, I want nothing more than for us to succeed - as any good fan does. But there’s only so much a program and fan base can take. Getting blown out by a bottom tier G5 team was the last thing this program needed. Our offense was legitimately worse than Class S high school football. All we did was throw screens and run the ball for 1 yard a carry. It was absolutely embarrassing.

And nobody here has given a legitimate answer for why other G5 programs like JMU Tulane Marshall etc. are having so much success while paying their coaches equal or less than we do. We can’t constantly complain that we would be good if we were P5 if we can’t even beat crappy G5 teams. It’s ridiculous and for a flagship state university it’s utterly embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Charlton is only making $125,000 more than Joe Moorehead is making at Akron. Call him up.
I think it's the other way around. According to some articles on the web Moorhead has a new 5 year $2.5M contract and Charlton makes $375K per year.

Reaction Score
And nobody here has given a legitimate answer for why other G5 programs like JMU Tulane Marshall etc. are having so much success while paying their coaches equal or less than we do. We can’t constantly complain that we would be good if we were P5 if we can’t even beat crappy G5 teams. It’s ridiculous and for a flagship state university it’s utterly embarrassing.

JMU Football #1 Priority. JMU has a winning tradition. They are in a really fertile recruiting territory, UVA and VT are very down at the moment. As an organization they know what they are doing.

Marshall Football #1 Priority.

Tulane Football #1 Priority.

Reaction Score
I think it's the other way around. According to some articles on the web Moorhead has a new 5 year $2.5M contract and Charlton makes $375K per year.

Wait are there people here actually suggesting we should replace Charlton with Moorhead/Lashlee and think this is attainable?

These people need to be ignored. That's abject stupidity.

Reaction Score
Yes, you’re right. Mean’t to say it the other way around. Lol

DCT

Reaction Score
Well, the more I think about it the more I think that Charlton stays but gets some help with his job in the person of the new consultant. U can't install a new offense mid season.
Agree Charlton is learning he is not an experienced D1 OC. Hopefully he can get some help. But Charlton is the man this season.

Reaction Score
  • Charlton is squarely on the hot seat, but it is not time for AD DB to step in and force him to be fired
  • Mora is not a failure
5-year trajectory of the program?

We're supposed to wait another 5 years for them to be good. I thought we were done with the 5 year thing after Edsall?

Reaction Score
Agree Charlton is learning he is not an experienced D1 OC. Hopefully he can get some help. But Charlton is the man this season.
It's not a position to learn on the fly. This was quite a mistake by Mora.

Reaction Score
  • Mora is not a failure

This seems fair. Around game 6, we can revisit the last 4 bullet points fairly, I think.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
  • Mora is not a failure
"Can" being the operative word- unfortunately there now seem to be other disturbing potential truths that I wouldn't have given credence to before yesterday which now seem all too possible.

I'm not one to borrow trouble, but my confidence has been shaken to a degree I couldn't have anticipated.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
JMU Football #1 Priority. JMU has a winning tradition. They are in a really fertile recruiting territory, UVA and VT are very down at the moment. As an organization they know what they are doing.

Marshall Football #1 Priority.

Tulane Football #1 Priority.
I just don’t think it’s impossible to walk and chew gum at the same time though. Houston managed to do it. And I get that Texas has better recruiting but that’s not really as much of a factor anymore. People go where they have the best chance of success. That’s why Josh Allen played out in Wyoming.

And even if what you said about football being a priority is true - how come FCS and basketball focused URI put up 42 points against the team that blew us out?

its just nonsensical to me.

Reaction Score
I don’t think I’m overreacting when I say that game was probably the death of our program.

You can’t hype up a season like this and then perform this badly after being passed up again by the P5. There’s not a single way out for our program. No G5 wants this garbage team and we wouldn’t even go anyway because it would degrade basketball too much. I’m calling it now that we go 3-9, Mora leaves, and the program is disbanded within the next 3 years.

I’m beyond furious with this university for their decade of devaluing and utterly destroying this program. Leaving the AAC and giving up on football may be a top 10 worst college sports decision of all time. Look what happened to Cinci, Houston, UCF, SMU. If half that conference can make it - we certainly could have. But the school gave up and that is beyond abundantly clear right now.
I don’t agree with most of what you posted here..you sound like you don’t care if our basketball team is stuck in the aac as long as our football team has a chance of getting into a p4 league… that said i think if the football team has a losing year this year and Mora leaves…uconn football will be in a very bad place

Reaction Score
I just don’t think it’s impossible to walk and chew gum at the same time though. Houston managed to do it. And I get that Texas has better recruiting but that’s not really as much of a factor anymore. People go where they have the best chance of success. That’s why Josh Allen played out in Wyoming.

And even if what you said about football being a priority is true - how come FCS and basketball focused URI put up 42 points against the team that blew us out?

its just nonsensical to me.

Sports has a way of being nonsensical. Particularly week 0 and week 1 college football.

Week 2 you start to see truth.

Houston spends and spends and spends. They poached a P5 coach to an AAC school and paid him.

You seem like a passionate fan. I know posting like you are can seem therapeutic but I suggest dialing it back.

Reaction Score
Marinelli knows how to run N-zone as good as anyone. I honestly think he'd do a better job than Charlton

Maybe. I guess thats possible.

But on the other hand if a FCS college head coach isn’t qualified to be the OC why would we take on the greater risk of going with a HS head coach?

I don’t have the answer for who could/should be the OC. No disrespect, but I’m certain it’s not Marinelli at this point in time of his coaching career.

Reaction Score
Sports has a way of being nonsensical. Particularly week 0 and week 1 college football.

Week 2 you start to see truth.

Houston spends and spends and spends. They poached a P5 coach to an AAC school and paid him.

You seem like a passionate fan. I know posting like you are can seem therapeutic but I suggest dialing it back.
You’re probably right. Appreciate you calling me out in it too. I apologize to you all for flooding this board with negativity today. I’ve been stewing since last night but regardless, at the end of the day it’s just a game and we’re all here because we care. Hoping next week goes better.

Reaction Score
You’re probably right. Appreciate you calling me out in it too. I apologize to you all for flooding this board with negativity today. I’ve been stewing since last night but regardless, at the end of the day it’s just a game and we’re all here because we care. Hoping next week goes better.

Never let a loss get in the way of a good meltdown:)

Reaction Score
It's always darkest before the dawn. Keep the faith and let's see what happens next week. It could always be worse (see Michigan State).

Reaction Score
NDST is a great program. They would destroy UConn
Well let’s see, we already know NDST destroyed Maine yesterday 44-7 and you’re postulating that NDST would also destroy UConn. So I guess you’re also saying that UConn and Maine are roughly equivalent programs right now, with that I think you’re off your rocker. What I am saying is Mora made a huge mistake by hiring Charlton in the first place AND deciding on Fagnano over Roberson. JM knows it and he’s owning up to it. He won’t make that mistake again. We need a DC to take the load off Mora, and I’m betting DB told him that yesterday. There is also another reason, which I can’t comment on, why Charlton got the job in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom