Georgia State Post Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Georgia State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One big thing I think in this game was how they approached it. Even after the game Mora said they were trying to run the QB and the run game has to be better. It seemed like they viewed having a good run game yesterday would have opened the passing game. I am not pro, but it sure felt like having any passing game would have opened the run game against Georgia State.
Agree 100%. If a passing offense was a threat, an opposing team would not prioritize stacking the LOS to stop the run.

Reaction Score
Well, given that collecting "awesome national championship trophies" is aspirational for most programs, I think that alone might be reasonable justification for most people. But here's the thing, UConn athletics was dying in the American period fan attendance at games, across all sports, was shrinking. Donations were shrinking. On top of all of that Aresco decided to take our tier 3 rates, which includes our lucrative women's basketball program rights, and tuck them away on ESPN plus, and, not give Connecticut a dollar for them. Keep in mind that those broadcast rates on SNY are worth over $1 million. That's a pretty good indication that he didn't have our best interest at heart. Also keep in mind that Connecticut reduced its travel costs by $2 million by leaving the American. Those two items alone are worth $3 million over and above the immediate attendance and donation increases. When evaluated in that way, the decision to leave the American was a reasonable one. That decision has been borne out over time.

Really, Aresco never view this as an asset of the the conference because are interested in a line well with his. He essentially wanted to blow the dust off the original concept of Conference USA, which he, effectively, was successful doing. I suspect he was the only person in America who was surprised that repeating the concept of CUSA, resulted in the exact same result as the original. And undervalued and under paid conference that at its highest and best use was a waystation looking for programs to get out. That was never a vision that worked for us. It absolutely was a step up for programs coming from mid major conferences, but that wasn't us. Having a commissioner who was hostile to our interests made it necessary to leave that conference. Ultimately, I think that's been proven, bye all the ways I've discussed above, including our men's basketball program collecting a 5th "awesome trophy."
1). Im just telling you as see it. An “awesome trophy” wasn’t a denigrating comment. It’s awesome and that should be what it’s about. We should be proud. It’s amazing, literally.

2) which brings me to r the reality. I don’t think it’s fair that BB success doesn’t count for crap in the scheme of revenue. The networks made a lot money and don’t pay for its value (football sucks the wallets dry and BB is a way to steal some extra investment return). The proving point is the B12 expansion. Somebody told the Commissioner they will pay for expansion but won’t pay twice with basketball.

So, I return to my original answer. I don’t know which was better. Some teams in the waiting station have moved on. We are wandering nomads waiting for an invite too.

The big mistake is not paying up to get to where we need to be. We simply are unwilling to cut deals which defer revenue unlike an SMU. We aren’t playing the long game, and the reason is 40% of the base is happy splashing around as kings of the wading pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom