Georgia State Post Game Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Georgia State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He looked shell shocked the second he took the snap. GSU clearly did not respect him as a passer since they sold out to stop the run and he still couldn’t make anything happen through the air. Not sure what Charlton and Mora saw in camp, but Fagnano is pretty clearly not the guy.
Once in a while you just have to throw the ball 50 yards down the field.

Reaction Score
Well, the more I think about it the more I think that Charlton stays but gets some help with his job in the person of the new consultant. U can't install a new offense mid season.

But you can make different play calls. Let’s give Marinelli a chance. What could happen? We lose?

Reaction Score
Well let’s see, we already know NDST destroyed Maine yesterday 44-7 and you’re postulating that NDST would also destroy UConn. So I guess you’re also saying that UConn and Maine are roughly equivalent programs right now, with that I think you’re off your rocker. What I am saying is Mora made a huge mistake by hiring Charlton in the first place AND deciding on Fagnano over Roberson. JM knows it and he’s owning up to it. He won’t make that mistake again. We need a DC to take the load off Mora, and I’m betting DB told him that yesterday. There is also another reason, which I can’t comment on, why Charlton got the job in the first place.
NDST is a very good and successful program. They have a formula that works and wish UConn could attain something similar.

Reaction Score
As brutal as the watching these first two games was, the most depressing aspect to me is the almost complete absence of any hopeful signs. The losses were hard enough to take, but I am still waiting to see a single player distinguish himself or sequence of plays that has me saying, "Yes, more of that, please". But on both offense and defense it's like I entered a time machine and have been transported back to EdsallWorld where everything looks mediocre and uninspired and the games are over as soon the the other team goes two scores ahead.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t agree with most of what you posted here..you sound like you don’t care if our basketball team is stuck in the aac as long as our football team has a chance of getting into a p4 league… that said i think if the football team has a losing year this year and Mora leaves…uconn football will be in a very bad place

I would handicap it at a 75% chance that he is a troll from another school.

Reaction Score
Firing your OC in the middle of the season means you better have a decent backup plan. I don’t think we do.
Also- it is a sign of desperation
Optics aren't good for team or fans when you fire someone only 2 games into the season.
Let's see how the next few games play out at home

Reaction Score
Also- it is a sign of desperation
Optics aren't good for team or fans when you fire someone only 2 games into the season.
Let's see how the next few games play out at home
Optics? Who cares about OPTICS at this point? We have absolutely nothing to lose .... we are between a rock and our lowest point. We should care about results and stop dancing around like a program who has time and $$ at their disposal

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just a lack of cohesion. On his designed runs he looks tentative . So why have designed runs for a QB clearly not comfortable with that part of his game?

He only had a couple designed runs and they worked fine. His designed reads, like the crossing route to Joly, also worked fine. The problems appear to be when there is a decison to make in terms of throwing or not throwing. Zion had the exact same problem. The one thing we do know about TR is that he's gonna throw it come hell or high water.

There is no way to talent out of this, the coaches need to alter the gameplan for whomever starts and all of them need to feature running the ball.

If would probably help to figure out why Buckman was the target of choice when we have at least 3 better pass catchers on the roster.

Reaction Score
5-year trajectory of the program?

We're supposed to wait another 5 years for them to be good. I thought we were done with the 5 year thing after Edsall?
I'm not implying that, I'm commenting on a previous post saying the one- and five-year trajectory of the program were destroyed yesterday - a massive overreaction.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mora making excuses on why Roberson's yards aren't real and how other things are the reason Fagnano sucked.

It's not that hard to see this. JF played in a real game. TR played in a scrimmage.

Reaction Score
There is almost never an excuse to lose to a MAC, Sun Belt, or CUSA program. This is an unacceptable result.
Let's see a sense of urgency, like right now. Hair on fire urgency... Mora is on his heels - let's see if and how he responds.

Reaction Score
As brutal as the watching these first two games was, the most depressing aspect to me is the almost complete absence of any hopeful signs. The losses were hard enough to take, but I am still waiting to see a single player distinguish himself or sequence of plays that has me saying, "Yes, more of that, please". But on both offense and defense it's like I entered a time machine and have been transported back to EdsallWorld where everything looks mediocre and uninspired and the games are over as soon the the other team goes two scores ahead.
How about a UConn defender making a hard hit and causing fumble at midfield? “Yes, more of that, please???

Reaction Score
One big thing I think in this game was how they approached it. Even after the game Mora said they were trying to run the QB and the run game has to be better. It seemed like they viewed having a good run game yesterday would have opened the passing game. I am not pro, but it sure felt like having any passing game would have opened the run game against Georgia State.

Reaction Score
Its not about the stats, it's about TR looked like he could throw it more than 10 yards. Fagnano feels like a tall Zergiotis who also had issues with the #WallOfScrimmage. (Patent-pending or trademark or copyright)

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I don’t think I’m overreacting when I say that game was probably the death of our program.

You can’t hype up a season like this and then perform this badly after being passed up again by the P5. There’s not a single way out for our program. No G5 wants this garbage team and we wouldn’t even go anyway because it would degrade basketball too much. I’m calling it now that we go 3-9, Mora leaves, and the program is disbanded within the next 3 years.

I’m beyond furious with this university for their decade of devaluing and utterly destroying this program. Leaving the AAC and giving up on football may be a top 10 worst college sports decision of all time. Look what happened to Cinci, Houston, UCF, SMU. If half that conference can make it - we certainly could have. But the school gave up and that is beyond abundantly clear right now.
I feel your pain, but don’t think things are quite this dire. We have a solid name-brand head coach who knows this is not OK. The coach has the support of the AD to improve football. I believe this is more of a dip on the upward trajectory rather than a bottomless pit to program oblivion

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
? You’re arguing w/ someone who wants Mora/Benedict to call the SMU Head Coach to see if he wants to be UConn’s OC.
I misunderstood! I thought I was arguing against keeping Charlton on for the rest of the season. I’m choking on my own rage here!

Reaction Score
He only had a couple designed runs and they worked fine. His designed reads, like the crossing route to Joly, also worked fine. The problems appear to be when there is a decison to make in terms of throwing or not throwing. Zion had the exact same problem. The one thing we do know about TR is that he's gonna throw it come hell or high water.

There is no way to talent out of this, the coaches need to alter the gameplan for whomever starts and all of them need to feature running the ball.

If would probably help to figure out why Buckman was the target of choice when we have at least 3 better pass catchers on the roster.
I would respectfully disagree on your assessment of our wide receivers! We have heard multiple times that Buckman has the best hands of all our wide receivers and he certainly not slow. I would see like to see more of the season before coming to an opinion as to who are our best wide receivers are. We only had two games to evaluate Porter( who is suppose to be crazy fast) and Buckman. The coaches had all spring and summer to determine who they thought were our best receivers. Maybe in four weeks I might agree with you but I don’t have enough evidence today to share your very early evaluation of our receivers!

Reaction Score
Mora making excuses on why Roberson's yards aren't real and how other things are the reason Fagnano sucked.
At this point Mora needs to fix it whatever the reason or reasons are.

Reaction Score
UConn returned 3 running backs from last year that combined for 1,299 yards, 14 TDs and 5.3 YPC. Mora has kind of said that he believes in RB by committee so we weren't going to see a workhorse RB. That, plus NIL money are probably why Carter left. Aaron Turner was a loss, but Ross was coming back and he probably would have taken some opportunities away. Marion just seemed like he just wanted to move on.
If useful players leaving is an indictment of their coordinator, there are very few coordinators who wouldn’t be under indictment.

There are many reasons to question the staff right now, but our loss of players who were helping us was clearly below average in this new world.

Reaction Score
I'm not implying that, I'm commenting on a previous post saying the one- and five-year trajectory of the program were destroyed yesterday - a massive overreaction.
Bingo. I just read this whole thread. I watched about 10 percent of this game on the phone. I agree with all the points you laid about up thread.

If Charltons play calling looked like last years then that's concerning because his gadget stuff doesn't work with what he has and doesn't work well with fagnano. Maybe it works with roberson but somehow I don't think so.

The only reason I'm not looking to dump Charlton now is because I don't know if we have pay him or if we have anybody else to do the work otherwise Roberson is basically playing for Charlton's employment. I was willing to tolerate some things because he lacked the tool under the idea you're preparing for the future in terms of play style. The future is now.

Anybody burning down mora after praising him last season needs to grow up. More concerning our line play isn't creating room for our core of running backs. Aren't these mostly the same guys?

Reaction Score
1694433362505.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member