Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
You know, you could be a lot more positive than that. She scored 19. Why the hell can't you be pleased with that instead of trying to tear down her success. Right now the whole team is struggling.
I couldn't agree more, olddog! Not only that, but Georgetown should be commended, as they played well above there 'record' on defense! Shame on him for 'dissing' Christyn. This was a mental boost for her to see shots going in. We NEED her to continue to play at this level if we want to win.

Reaction Score
Players are scored on how well they executed their roles. Like Geno said, Nika rolls out the piano and Paige plays the piano. If the guy doesn't roll the piano out there is no concert. Nika plays defense and pushes the offense.
So concert reviewers give a grade to the guy who rolled out the piano now???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow you are right. Next 4 games are at QUEENS, N.Y., CINCINNATI, OHIO, OMAHA, NEB. and INDIANAPOLIS, IND..

Good news are those games are all in SNY/ Fox Sports.
That's NOT good news.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice quotes from a 'fairly' impressed Georgetown coach who did not get to 'enjoy' the Paige show the first time.

“Paige is a nightmare. Paige is going to be a nightmare for the next three years,” said Howard. “I’m saying three because I’m hoping she won’t use that extra year that the NCAA gave back. I’m praying that she’s going to be the number one draft pick and she’ll be out of there.”

Keep that script for Azzi/:D

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I jumped out of my chair when CW made that first shot. I could see that she was being aggressive, and it looked like the game plan was to feed her. Now, something that has bothered me for awhile. Why doesn't Nika shoot more, and I'm not talking about 3 pointers. How many times does she dribble into the lane, and kick it out, and even pick up her dribble. Most times she has a bunny of a shot opportunity, but refuses to take it. We need her to be more aggressive as a shooter to force the defense to defend her more. If ONO is outside pulling their big, the lane will be open. Although she excels in other areas, she is really one less option offensively. FYI, I still love Nika, but she can do more.

Reaction Score
Wow you are right. Next 4 games are at QUEENS, N.Y., CINCINNATI, OHIO, OMAHA, NEB. and INDIANAPOLIS, IND..

Good news are those games are all in SNY/ Fox Sports.
Yes, thank you SNY. Last night was another never stop talking announcing team. Don't narrate and comment on the game, just have an inane irrelevant conversation. Why? Because women's basketball doesn't deserve more? I'm sorry but I find it to be both insulting and sexist and it is an obnoxious pattern with these other networks. You are watching the best team in the country with the next great player whose name you will be hearing for the next 15-20 years chronologically in the NCAA, WNBA and Olympics. I kinda wanna watch it and not have to turn the audio down.

Reaction Score
I don't feel any better. I think we all need a couple of days off. It's like when I'm shooting around in a funk, I call out, "that's one in a row". That's UConn right now, "one in a row".
Every player ES, MS, HS, College, Elite College, NBA, has their shot. Think of your favorite player and you can say where their shots are. Do we know where our UConn players shots are? (except Paige) How do we get on runs if we can't make shots. E made those 2 big ones against Tenn and she's 0 for our last 5 games. Nika has to make that set 3-pointer. AG has to hit those driving layups. AE has to finish from the block.
Why aren't we passing the ball to our posts when they are open. We wait until we have to thread the needle. It's like hockey; it's the pass leading to the pass that leads to the goal. Why is everyone trying to be a hero. Pass it to the open player. Newsflash: if AE has to wrestle the ball from 3 defenders, it's not a good pass. Our posts flash middle and our guards stare at them. (CW big time) Pass it to them and move. Posts, catch the ball, take your time, pivot, and do something with it. It's like winning territory on the battlefield and just retreating to where you were before. Attack!
Why is Mir catching the ball on the block and just passing it back out. Back to my earlier thought- that's her shot. Take it!!!! Ringing in my head: those possessions we pass it around like the ball's a hot potato, with 3-4 players passing up THEIR shots. If you don't have a shot, even a layup, then don't shoot, ever! Do other things!
Tell us where your shots are! We'll get you the ball there and you'll make the shot! Then we'll play D and we'll come back down here and do the same thing, over and over.
Come on, let's get on a run!
On point for sure. Get the player the ball in the position she can best score in. Don't pass up your shot unless there is a better percentage shot available like a lay up or a wide open 3 for Paige. I think Evina's best move is a drive into the key and pull up. How many has she shot all year? 6? Liv is no longer a post player? Against a smaller player, get her the ball on the block and work it. How many open looks did we defer on? If you are afraid to miss or make a mistake you will miss or make a mistake. As I have been saying, there is a late season metamorphosis that we have seen with past teams, most recently last year. When is this one coming? It has been delayed for sure by the choppy season but we are capable of so much more. I don't feel better either.

Reaction Score
It looks like Mir is almost out of the rotation, after bringing energy vs both Tennessee and Arkansas, she didn’t play against South Carolina, played 1 minute vs Seton Hall, and got mop up minutes again tonight when the game was already in hand.

Seems that way. She didn't produce last night as she usually does when given the opportunity. Not looking good for her. Having said that, there are other players who are just not performing. Westbrook was scoreless. It was a bad night for the bigs- just 12 points between Edwards and ONO. And just two OR, naturally from Edwards.

Reaction Score
Would like to see Nika shoot the ball more, and not just from behind the arc. She seems to pass up on too many 10-12 footers. I get it, she like to pass the ball; but she does need to take more shots.

Reaction Score
So I said before the game that I would not be surprised to see the final MOV be in the 25 point range.

I said that because even tho their record was 1-9, their last 2 games were single digit losses to Seton Hall and Marquette. Not sure if G-town had some injuries early on or what, but IMHO, they were not as bad as their record. At least as of lately.

First, congrats to Christyn for scoring some points. She hit 3-pointers early and I worried that result might convince her she’s back to being a shooter. At numerous times in the 1st half, she had about 50% of UCONN’s total shot attempts. She’s NOT the person who should be taking half our shots.

Maybe that was a conscious effort by Geno to try to boost her confidence, but the sooner she realizes she’s not a shooter, and rather a slasher, the better off she will be. It’s games like this that lead to games like 2-12 from 3. Today she was 3-9. Just way too many attempts IMHO, I don’t care how wide open she is.

Last point on CW – 19 points on 19 shots. Paige, 19 points on 10 shot attempts. Who really should be taking most of the shots?

Having said that, good effort by her on defense and better hustling as far as my untrained eyes could see.

Turnovers in the first half were tough to see and sloppy. Seems like it was cleaned up in the 2nd half. Nika played hard as always. Evina seemed off tonight. I get that Geno is building towards March, but I’d like to see more of Edwards and Griffin, and less of Westbrook, Williams, and ONO. If Anna doesn’t come back (even if she does she may well be super rusty and out of shape), we will need Liya and Aubrey.

Both Nika and LIya seem to be playing just as hard but without the fouls. That’s great to see.

Overall, it seems like Georgetown’s defense is about on par with South Carolina’s. Not a stellar offensive performance by any stretch. Credit to Georgetown for playing hard. Our defense was pretty solid keeping that Morris kid from scoring a bunch. A pair of 12 point quarters sandwiched around a pair of single digit scoring quarters. Ugly win for sure tho...
We need more scoring balance and to reduce the number of passed up shots. We continue to defer on our offense, partly to get Williams involved. Our guards need to scan the court more in any set-up. Beckers does this very well but other can only pass in a pre-set fashion. Our passes are easy to read. The second time playing some of these teams the coaches are adjusting to our offense. Overall GT played well and consistent throughout the game. Were tired and need a rest before installing some needed changes. Moving ahead looks good for the Huskies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
She didn’t need to hunt for shots late, since the game was already decided. She never takes it easy; incredibly intense player.
Fair enough.. She still managed to take a nasty knee to the thigh in the first half.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Seems that way. She didn't produce last night as she usually does when given the opportunity. Not looking good for her. Having said that, there are other players who are just not performing. Westbrook was scoreless. It was a bad night for the bigs- just 12 points between Edwards and ONO. And just two OR, naturally from Edwards.
Westbrook was not scoreless.

Reaction Score
A tip for all you boneyarders auditioning for Geno's job. He is a pretty good coach and has had some success. So you might want to learn from him as well as school him. Try to figure out why he keeps playing the players he uses and why he wants them to do the things he does, rather than assuming these are all obvious mistakes. For example, he might let CW shoot from outside because it keeps the defense honest and allows her to drive.

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey is the wild card to us winning the whole Palozza. She is by far the best athlete on our team. Did anyone see the beautiful 3 she took and hit with a swish no rim at all. I bet if she was told to do more of that and set some screens for her we might see something. We have a few games to work on it. She also gives us someone who comes up with th ball on defense and rebounds well. We are seeing Nika and Christyn shoot why not Aubrey.

No doubt about it. Aubrey Griffin is "The Best Overall ATHLETE" on this team, bar none. Not saying she is the best basketball player on the team, which we all know she is not. But for what Aubrey brings to this team, especially being that "Spark Plug" off the bench, night in and night out, being "Consistent" is what this teams to be extremely successful in the Post-Season this year. [Yes, everyone [Coco Husky, Jordy, olddude, etc] all know that AG is my favorite UCONN Player, BUT, with ZERO bias, I too believe that Aubrey will be the KEY to taking this team to the Promised Land this season, most likely coming off the bench and playing allot of minutes. {PS - That smooth stroke that she showed on that 3 Pointer is EXACTLY how she shot when she was the State Player of the Year at Ossining High School}

Reaction Score
No doubt about it. Aubrey Griffin is "The Best Overall ATHLETE" on this team, bar none. Not saying she is the best basketball player on the team, which we all know she is not. But for what Aubrey brings to this team, especially being that "Spark Plug" off the bench, night in and night out, being "Consistent" is what this teams to be extremely successful in the Post-Season this year. [Yes, everyone [Coco Husky, Jordy, olddude, etc] all know that AG is my favorite UCONN Player, BUT, with ZERO bias, I too believe that Aubrey will be the KEY to taking this team to the Promised Land this season, most likely coming off the bench and playing allot of minutes. {PS - That smooth stroke that she showed on that 3 Pointer is EXACTLY how she shot when she was the State Player of the Year at Ossining High School}
3 points here, 2 of which I will have to add my 2 cents to. 1) AE, I believe also fills statements 1 & 3, that you made. She is very athletic AND a key to us winning here, especially since she fills that needed 'void' that LIV can't fill. She can 'bang' with the best of them, collects offensive rebounds and shoots well. As far as point 2 goes, well I think we all surmised that AG 'MIGHT' be your favorite (I love her too), but the "not bias" part....? I think your 'slip is showing'! :D

Reaction Score
You obviously did not listen to Geno's post game interview. He was not embarrassed. He was sympathetic to the team given the fact that they have played 5 games in 10 days, and was happy to just win and move on.
You are right, I did not listen to the post game interview.

Reaction Score
3 points here, 2 of which I will have to add my 2 cents to. 1) AE, I believe also fills statements 1 & 3, that you made. She is very athletic AND a key to us winning here, especially since she fills that needed 'void' that LIV can't fill. She can 'bang' with the best of them, collects offensive rebounds and shoots well. As far as point 2 goes, well I think we all surmised that AG 'MIGHT' be your favorite (I love her too), but the "not bias" part....? I think your 'slip is showing'! :D

Despite disagreeing, I 100% respect and appreciate your opinion regarding/concerning Edwards (my personal opinion is that ultimately, if not this year, possibly next season, that Edwards 'could' leap ahead of ONO, as the starting center). As it relates to AG being 'that cog' that will lead this team to a possible championship, I stand by my statement, bias or no bias, or the fact that my "Slip is Showing" in my statement (See Below). [Her line last night, despite the minutes, 7 points, 1 very smooth 3 pointer, and tying for the team lead in total boards, is very impressive].
1613230823799.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom