Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Channel 4 Love GIF by Five Guys A Week

Reaction Score
3 points here, 2 of which I will have to add my 2 cents to. 1) AE, I believe also fills statements 1 & 3, that you made. She is very athletic AND a key to us winning here, especially since she fills that needed 'void' that LIV can't fill. She can 'bang' with the best of them, collects offensive rebounds and shoots well. As far as point 2 goes, well I think we all surmised that AG 'MIGHT' be your favorite (I love her too), but the "not bias" part....? I think your 'slip is showing'! :D
hey, don't bring me into your post, lol.

Reaction Score
Well, Nika does a little more than just roll out the piano. She also sings 'back-up', plays the tambourine and cowbell as well! :D
Geno's analogy about role players missed the mark with the piano. All the players are in the "band" so to speak. I think the "cowbell" sound is the sound of too many shots clanging off the rim.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents:

Looks like a tired team. Mentally tired. Also, mentally taxing when you have to pass the ball a lot in the half court to get a shot. Overall defense was pretty good. Passing looking better and crisp, but sometimes we get our passes picked off in the half court because we seem to be very predictable about where we will pass the ball. If we could shoot the ball better, we would look like a much better team.

Except for PB, nobody shot the ball very well from the outside. We can’t win many games against top level teams when we can’t fill the bucket from the outside. We hardly got any easy buckets in this game. Had to grind away in the half court and we needed that to practice our execution. It wasn’t too bad…We got open shots, we just didn’t hit them with regularity.

NM – played a nice floor game. Penetration and kick to PB for at least 2 threes. She helps PB get open looks with her penetration and passing skills. She knows how to break down a zone. I wish CW could do the same. Missed too many from the outside.

EW – This stretch of games seems to have affected her more than most. We are getting diminishing returns from her. She is something like 10 out of her last 36 and 1 for her last 19 in threes. That is some really bad shooting. Every shot looks flat and a bit straight-line, even the ones she makes. Also had 21 assists and 15 TOs over these 5 games, which is not too good either. She has some ‘what the heck’ moments. Seems to play roughly 10 minutes less every other game. I hope she just needs a rest and it isn’t anything more than that.

CW – hit some shots early in the game and then missed most from the outside the rest of the game. She gets some really good looks, but still can’t make them consistently enough. She definitely had a better game though. About one make from having a very good game statistically. The great thing is that every shot she takes is a good and an open shot but the bad is that she misses more than she should. Her outside shots are not taken under duress which makes her statistics that much more concerning. But it was good to see her hit a fair share of them…at least early.

Was able to take it to the bucket once the defense started to face up on her from 3 (after she made the early ones). You cannot expect her to be effective driving to the basket if the defense sags off because they don’t respect her shot. She has to hit the three at least sometimes, like she did today, so that opens up her penetration game. I thought she had some nice moments on the boards as well.

PB – another outstanding game. What will we look like if she has an off night??

Liv – didn’t do much good, didn’t do much wrong, just didn’t do much.

AG – that 3 looked great! Hope to see it a bit more often.

AE – overall I was disappointed as now I expect more from her. A good moment or two and some bad moments. Too many TOs and missed FTs!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I jumped out of my chair when CW made that first shot. I could see that she was being aggressive, and it looked like the game plan was to feed her. Now, something that has bothered me for awhile. Why doesn't Nika shoot more, and I'm not talking about 3 pointers. MoHow many times does she dribble into the lane, and kick it out, and even pick up her dribble. st times she has a bunny of a shot opportunity, but refuses to take it. We need her to be more aggressive as a shooter to force the defense to defend her more. If ONO is outside pulling their big, the lane will be open. Although she excels in other areas, she is really one less option offensively. FYI, I still love Nika, but she can do more.
Watch Makurat when she comes back. They do the exact same things. Neither of them have any idea how to get a shot off in traffic. Even on layups they barely leave the floor. On 3s they take a 4 inch hop. Just never learned it in Europe and it doesn't look like it's going to change.

Reaction Score
Just had a chance to watch the replay. Overall I think the team needs a break and regroup for the home stretch. They look a bit lethargic and you can tell that the SC game has really drained some of the players mentally and physically. I could tell the game plan by Geno and Staff was to get CW going tonight and lift her spirits. While it worked to a certain extent, I think the best thing was it validated that CW is an average to below average jump shooter. I hope that even as the team rallied around her she needs to be less of a volume shooter and someone who gets her scoring through the flow of the offense.

• Paige - Played like Paige but could tell she wanted to get others involved tonight first. I have so much respect for her. Her defense by the way has gotten better too.
  • Liv - ok game for Liv. Fouls continue to hurt her minutes during portions of the game, and this affects her rhythm and contributions
  • Nika - Not one of her best games. Looked slower than usual and hesitant to shoot. She needs to take the open shot and do it decisively. I think she can become a decent 3 point shooter since she will get wide open shots. We need her to build her confidence for the tourney because she WILL get open shots by opposing teams
  • E - Not a great game today. Her 3 point shooting has left her last few games. I think she's a bit tired in the legs as many of them are short. I hope with a few days off she can regain her form. We desperately need her and Nika to hit the open 3 to keep the defense honest
  • CW - I'm glad she scored and got showed much better energy and defense this game. But as EricLA pointed out, this game should confirm to her and everyone that she cannot be the focal point of the offense. Volume shooting should not be her game because this hurts our offensive efficiency. She needs to get hers through transition, offensive putbacks, drives, set plays from out of bounds, and pull ups from midrange.
  • AEdwards - played like she normally does. Just hope she can improve her FT shooting, that will be costly for us against top teams.
  • AG - Thought she was typical AG. Rebounds and strong to the rim. She made all of her FT so kudos to her.
  • Saylor - Love her shooters mentality and her quick release is impressive. Even though the shot didn't go in it looks good coming out of her hands. I think with more time and repetition I believe she can be a contributor for us in the early rounds of the BE tournament and NCAA tournament.
  • Mir - Active as usual, but needs to work on moves near the basket. She holds on to it too long so her shots become contested and her shots have to be acrobatic. Simple catch or rebound go toward the hoop and finish for easy layup or get fouled.

Reaction Score
People say the team is tired. In the past we always prided ourselves that were in better shape than the other guys. So if we are tired playing every other day, what is going to happen in the Big East tourney, 3 games in 3 days. And unlike past years where we exploded out to a 30 to 10 lead in the first quarter and coasted, with starters only needing 20 to 25 minutes, we don't seem to do that, even against the weaker teams. I can see Paige needing to play 35+ minutes every game. and most of the other starters too. And we always used to say practices were harder than games, Game days were almost a day off. Only good news is other top teams seem to have some rough games against much weaker opponents this year. Maybe just Covid and all its disruptions.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Despite disagreeing, I 100% respect and appreciate your opinion regarding/concerning Edwards (my personal opinion is that ultimately, if not this year, possibly next season, that Edwards 'could' leap ahead of ONO, as the starting center). As it relates to AG being 'that cog' that will lead this team to a possible championship, I stand by my statement, bias or no bias, or the fact that my "Slip is Showing" in my statement (See Below). [Her line last night, despite the minutes, 7 points, 1 very smooth 3 pointer, and tying for the team lead in total boards, is very impressive]. View attachment 64567
While I share your appreciation of AG and her athleticism, energy, and some skills, the three point thing is not a point in her favor. She made a very pretty three last night, but her average is abyssmal. Currently at .231 and below nearly everyone else. I am not saying she will not get better. I hope she does for her sake and for the team's. I wish she would get better at finishing around the hoop before she tries the long bombs. I am glad we have her, and cannot wait to see just how good she becomes.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
People say the team is tired. In the past we always prided ourselves that were in better shape than the other guys. So if we are tired playing every other day, what is going to happen in the Big East tourney, 3 games in 3 days. And unlike past years where we exploded out to a 30 to 10 lead in the first quarter and coasted, with starters only needing 20 to 25 minutes, we don't seem to do that, even against the weaker teams. I can see Paige needing to play 35+ minutes every game. and most of the other starters too. And we always used to say practices were harder than games, Game days were almost a day off. Only good news is other top teams seem to have some rough games against much weaker opponents this year. Maybe just Covid and all its disruptions.

Between 2/3 and 2/12, UConn played 5 games. Completely abnormal schedule. As Geno has stated, there was no practice time or time to work on things. Just a walk through. BTW, of the last 5 games, 4 are on the road.

And who says we are not in better shape than the others? Tired does not mean the team in out of shape. Georgetown was sucking wind in the 3rd and 4th quarters. The SC game was physical and draining. I didn't see any UConn players grabbing their shorts during any of the games in this stretch.

Reaction Score
What are Nika Pct and CW Pct. I think she can soot if given the green light and some confidence. Can't be any worse.

Reaction Score
While I share your appreciation of AG and her athleticism, energy, and some skills, the three point thing is not a point in her favor. She made a very pretty three last night, but her average is abyssmal. Currently at .231 and below nearly everyone else. I am not saying she will not get better. I hope she does for her sake and for the team's. I wish she would get better at finishing around the hoop before she tries the long bombs. I am glad we have her, and cannot wait to see just how good she becomes.
Your right about finishing around the hoop. I can't remember the name of the 6'0' forward on UCLA but her around the basket move make her a potential All American. Get her to Study her film on her and Pheesa and work all summer on those and threes. Her foul shooting has improved.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the stance of the GT player that Paige took the hit from, was too far past her shoulders, like Aubrey was called for? :rolleyes: The replay there in the 3rd quarter on Youtube doesn't show the play. :confused:
She definitely stuck her leg out and she did another dirty play later and I was waiting for Aaliyah to body slam her. She is the Beast of the East.

Reaction Score
So I said before the game that I would not be surprised to see the final MOV be in the 25 point range.

I said that because even tho their record was 1-9, their last 2 games were single digit losses to Seton Hall and Marquette. Not sure if G-town had some injuries early on or what, but IMHO, they were not as bad as their record. At least as of lately.

First, congrats to Christyn for scoring some points. She hit 3-pointers early and I worried that result might convince her she’s back to being a shooter. At numerous times in the 1st half, she had about 50% of UCONN’s total shot attempts. She’s NOT the person who should be taking half our shots.

Maybe that was a conscious effort by Geno to try to boost her confidence, but the sooner she realizes she’s not a shooter, and rather a slasher, the better off she will be. It’s games like this that lead to games like 2-12 from 3. Today she was 3-9. Just way too many attempts IMHO, I don’t care how wide open she is.

Last point on CW – 19 points on 19 shots. Paige, 19 points on 10 shot attempts. Who really should be taking most of the shots?

Having said that, good effort by her on defense and better hustling as far as my untrained eyes could see.

Turnovers in the first half were tough to see and sloppy. Seems like it was cleaned up in the 2nd half. Nika played hard as always. Evina seemed off tonight. I get that Geno is building towards March, but I’d like to see more of Edwards and Griffin, and less of Westbrook, Williams, and ONO. If Anna doesn’t come back (even if she does she may well be super rusty and out of shape), we will need Liya and Aubrey.

Both Nika and LIya seem to be playing just as hard but without the fouls. That’s great to see.

Overall, it seems like Georgetown’s defense is about on par with South Carolina’s. Not a stellar offensive performance by any stretch. Credit to Georgetown for playing hard. Our defense was pretty solid keeping that Morris kid from scoring a bunch. A pair of 12 point quarters sandwiched around a pair of single digit scoring quarters. Ugly win for sure tho...
Quite a compliment to suggest that Georgetown's defense is " on a par with South Carolina." I can't agree. But it does suggest how ragged the UCONN offense was against Georgetown. We look as though no one ( save Paige ) can score, even when CW hit her first shot.....CW scored a lot beat her "success ratio" was low. Evina is off, Muhl has never really been "on"; and everyone misses put backs from underneath. Aubry especially...she is getting like Mir...."the hoop is up there somewhere..." And you can see the clear and open shots that no-one wants to take. This team, yesterday against Georgetown, was passing their way out of opportunities into poor, rushed shots. Geno needs to find a way to elevate this team, or they will not hold up in the big dance. I mean, it makes sense. Given that we have so many freshmen playing. Maybe rest will do it. Or maybe we need a whole new set of cardboard cutouts.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
It does not make sense to me to grade the players every game. UConn could win the NC looking like they did tonight and some people would still complain. I believe that most of the players are not only physically tired but also mentally tired. I hope they play well enough in upcoming games so that Mir can play more and also Piath, Saylor, and Chassion. Mir's help may be needed in the tournamentIn fact .
Yes in fact we've been through this grading phenomena in past years and we learned that the evolution almost always goes downhill.

As such we have not allowed this in the past and with this one foray into "grade the player", we will delete similar personal grading in the future.
I watched paint dry tonight. Nice to see Christyn score but shooting percentage was not good. Tonight was Evina's night off. Perhaps she and Christyn are alternating. Have you ever tried to drive a car on 2 cylinders? Not a lawnmower but a car. Eric @ LA is pretty spot on with his assessment. Paige B+ Christyn B Olivia B Evina C+ Nika B- Aubrey B Aaliya B- Just not a WOW game
Historical visits to the practice of "grading" individual players performance in games has usually resulted in threads going downhill. As such in the past we have not allowed the practice. Please refrain from this technique in the future or it will be deleted.

Thanks.

Reaction Score

The fans priding themselves in their team being in better shape than the other team is nothing more than fan bias. For any quality team ofc a big time fan is going to think their team is among the best.

Secondly; good luck for any big east team trying to beat UCONN.

Third- Anna might be back -- along with who knows maybe someone like Mir emerges etc.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
We need to have someone on our squad to "explain" to opponents that beat up on Paige the error of their ways. Nothing nasty but a a subtle reminder to the offender. The officials are sometimes so busy that they miss these wayward women. We would be helping them to amend their habits.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno's analogy about role players missed the mark with the piano. All the players are in the "band" so to speak. I think the "cowbell" sound is the sound of too many shots clanging off the rim.
So are you saying "We don't need more COWBELL" because you don't like the sound? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well my take is a win is a win is a win. I believe how far Uconn goes this year is up to Liv. Geno has to play her more. She's the only true rebounder and Shot blocker they have. They won't win a Championship with AE when the real bigs come to town. it was a sloppy game Nika needs to learn to take open shots and play within herself. AG needs to make driving layups. Evina didn't have it tonight. CW made some shots but missed far too many. they have the talent to go all the way but too much inconsistency. If they played a good team today they would have lost. Time to regroup and get better.
Yes I agree how far UConn goes this year is up to Liv .. I would MUCH rather see Liv take 19 shots than CW. Liv is 4th in the country in FG%, eh?

Reaction Score
I agree. But it's for 2 reasons. Paige. And no one this year is as good as Oregon, South Carolina, and Baylor were last year.
Whatever the tournament challenges', WE have to get better, plain and simple. And we have to get well physically and we have to shoot better, or it's better luck next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom