Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
First of all, I wasn’t talking efficiency when referencing AI. I was talking ball dominance and shot volume. PB, is not AI because she looks to get teammates involved. She is a Lebron type player, with a much better jump shot. Don’t change her into a AI type.

I think we are better when PB distributes the ball, getting her teammates into the game. Then scores at will when needed. Defense is better, Offense has a better flow. More scorers on the team, less attention to PB.

Melo had plenty of help. Warrick and McNamara to name a few. He hit the big shots when he had to. Plus he had nowhere near the pressure on him that PB has. Kemba was a one man wrecking crew. But he had Napier, Lamb and Oriakhi to name a few. Napier terrorized the opposing guards on defense. Lamb was a problem for opposing teams. Oriakhi rebounded and played D. Neither player wins a tiltle without significant contributions from their teammates. Carmelo played selfish as a pro, as did AI that’s why they never won a title. Kemba probably won’t either. Both look to shoot 1st 2nd and 3rd. Poor passing skills. To me PB is Lebron like, (much, much better shooter) don’t make her like Melo or AI. She may be the best passer ever when all is said and done. Lebron can average 30 a game but he chooses to make his teammates better.

If you speak of ball dominance - LeBron James is always among the league leaders in ball dominance. For example when he won in the playoffs in 11-12 he had a he had a usage factor of 33.4%. That's a ball dominator. And he averaged slightly over 30 a game. Isn’t that what I’m saying (have Paige score heavily?)? You mentioned Iverson who has no part in this conversation imo. SO yes I agree with you Paige is like LeBron. SO let's throw Iverson out of the picture. And when we look at LeBron-- he never averaged 10 assists in the playoffs. not even close. So if Paige is LeBron-like - then why hold her to a stat of 10 assists in big games? SO historically we see LeBron was a scorer - so why hold Paige back from scoring?

As far Paige and 10 assists- who are the players Paige could have passed to in the SC game so she could have accumulated the 10 assists you want to see? Which players could shoot near the efficiency she did if Paige passed to her? Like LeBron-- Paige needs to score to open things up. This is what the best coach ever in WCBB said early in the season that Paige needs to shoot more which then will open up for more players. That's what I said as well- force other teams in an extreme manner to stop the player who is having incredible - LeBron-like efficiency- only Paige is doing it (efficiently shooting) better!!!! SO who do you think should've taken more shots instead of having Paige take as many shots in that SC game?

In a perfect world- yes a perfect type of team - spread the wealth. But Geno has said from the start his team is not a good shooting team. SO how do you propose to get the 10 assists in big games out of Paige if the team can't shoot well? We can say "just get 10 assists" but in reality how can it be done? Geno had said - which I agree- have Paige score - then that will open things up for others. That’s what happens with LeBron. He is such a great scorer that you have to defend him from scoring first. Yet he still averages so much and has such a high usage factor yet never has averaged 10 assists in the playoffs. Because his main threat is to score so efficiently.

The same with Melo and Kemba. They were scorers first in their title runs. It's as I said in my 1st reply to you- "Also, you can have a dominant player and others are fine as support in which when needed one player picks up add'l scoring as needed." LeBron, Melo, and Kemba were "scorers first and foremost" in their title runs. As Paige should be. And until you can rely on others to score at Paige’s efficiency- then it means she takes the most shots on her team and force the opposition to do something to slow down her efficiency. Right now for example Paige is having plenty of help with SC (the same help Melo getting with Syracuse but he wasn't going ot get 10 assists on average either)- but it was on the defensive end. They held a terrific offensive team down to 37% shooting which means baskets are at a premium/hard to come by. How often is UCON going to play a team like S.C.?

As far as Melo and pressure. It was the NCAA Tourney. You’re saying he had nowhere near the pressure? Huh? He's playing for his and his family’s life in these games in terms of his family being poor. His family relied on his performances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you speak of ball dominance - LeBron James is always among the league leaders in ball dominance. For example when he won in the playoffs in 11-12 he had a he had a usage factor of 33.4%. That's a ball dominator. And he averaged slightly over 30 a game. Isn’t that what I’m saying (have Paige score heavily?)? You mentioned Iverson who has no part in this conversation imo. SO yes I agree with you Paige is like LeBron. SO let's throw Iverson out of the picture. And when we look at LeBron-- he never averaged 10 assists in the playoffs. not even close. So if Paige is LeBron-like - then why hold her to a stat of 10 assists in big games? SO historically we see LeBron was a scorer - so why hold Paige back from scoring?

As far - who are the players Paige could have passed to in the SC game so she could have accumulated the 10 assists you want to see? Which players could shoot near the efficiency she did if Paige passed to her? Like LeBron-- Paige needs to score to open things up. This is what the best coach ever in WCBB said early in the season that Paige needs to shoot more which then will open up for more players. That's what I said as well- force other teams in an extreme manner to stop the player who is having incredible - LeBron-like efficiency- only Paige is doing it (efficiently shooting) better!!!! SO who do you think should've taken more shots instead of having Paige take as many shots in that SC game?

In a perfect world- yes a perfect type of team - spread the wealth. But Geno has said from the start his team is not a good shooting team. SO how do you propose to get the 10 assists in big games out of Paige if the team can't shoot well? We can say "just get 10 assists" but in reality how can it be done? Geno had said - which I agree- have Paige score - then that will open things up for others. That’s what happens with LeBron. He is such a great scorer that you have to defend him from scoring first. Yet he still averages so much and has such a high usage factor yet never has averaged 10 assists in the playoffs. Because his main threat is to score so efficiently.

The same with Melo and Kemba. They were scorers first in their title runs. It's as I said in my 1st reply to you- "Also, you can have a dominant player and others are fine as support in which when needed one player picks up add'l scoring as needed." LeBron, Melo, and Kemba were "scorers first and foremost" in their title runs. As Paige should be. And until you can rely on others to score at Paige’s efficiency- then it means she takes the most shots on her team and force the opposition to do something to slow down her efficiency. Right now for example Paige is having plenty of help with SC (the same help Melo getting with Syracuse but he wasn't going ot get 10 assists on average either)- but it was on the defensive end. They held a terrific offensive team down to 37% shooting which means baskets are at a premium/hard to come by. How often is UCON going to play a team like S.C.?

As far as Melo and pressure. It was the NCAA Tourney. You’re saying he had nowhere near the pressure? Huh? He's playing for his and his family’s life in these games in terms of his family being poor. His family relied on his performances.
Lebron, Melo & Kemba are not relevant here IMO. Don't waste our time...

Reaction Score
Lebron, Melo & Kemba are not relevant here IMO. Don't waste our time...
You wasted your own time, obviously, since you read it and commented. Who made you the arbiter of what is relevant? The height of arrogance to use “our”, you certainly don’t speak for me.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but that just seems silly to me. Of course you can have it both ways in that regard; they needed to play more games to get better, and in the long term big picture, the 5 games in 10 days was a positive for improving as a team, but why in the world should that mean that they can't be tired at the end of that stretch? Both things absolutely can be and are true.

Reaction Score

As far Paige and 10 assists- who are the players Paige could have passed to in the SC game so she could have accumulated the 10 assists you want to see? Which players could shoot near the efficiency she did if Paige passed to her? Like LeBron-- Paige needs to score to open things up. This is what the best coach ever in WCBB said early in the season that Paige needs to shoot more which then will open up for more players. That's what I said as well- force other teams in an extreme manner to stop the player who is having incredible - LeBron-like efficiency- only Paige is doing it (efficiently shooting) better!!!! SO who do you think should've taken more shots instead of having Paige take as many shots in that SC game?

Yeah LJ averaged 30 and won nothing that year. PB is more than just a scorer, she has the ability to lift her teammates level of play. We will not win a championship with everyone standing around watching PB score. We need others to step up and I believe they will. You have to dare others to be great.
Melo as I said had plenty of help, he wasn’t forced to carry the team like PB. You had GM shooting deep threes, HW on the low blocks and Pace slashing to the basket. PB has nothing close to that type of support. He probably had money in high school and college, most stars do, so don’t make it seem like he was starving.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents:

Looks like a tired team. Mentally tired. Also, mentally taxing when you have to pass the ball a lot in the half court to get a shot. Overall defense was pretty good. Passing looking better and crisp, but sometimes we get our passes picked off in the half court because we seem to be very predictable about where we will pass the ball. If we could shoot the ball better, we would look like a much better team.

Except for PB, nobody shot the ball very well from the outside. We can’t win many games against top level teams when we can’t fill the bucket from the outside. We hardly got any easy buckets in this game. Had to grind away in the half court and we needed that to practice our execution. It wasn’t too bad…We got open shots, we just didn’t hit them with regularity.

NM – played a nice floor game. Penetration and kick to PB for at least 2 threes. She helps PB get open looks with her penetration and passing skills. She knows how to break down a zone. I wish CW could do the same. Missed too many from the outside.

EW – This stretch of games seems to have affected her more than most. We are getting diminishing returns from her. She is something like 10 out of her last 36 and 1 for her last 19 in threes. That is some really bad shooting. Every shot looks flat and a bit straight-line, even the ones she makes. Also had 21 assists and 15 TOs over these 5 games, which is not too good either. She has some ‘what the heck’ moments. Seems to play roughly 10 minutes less every other game. I hope she just needs a rest and it isn’t anything more than that.

CW – hit some shots early in the game and then missed most from the outside the rest of the game. She gets some really good looks, but still can’t make them consistently enough. She definitely had a better game though. About one make from having a very good game statistically. The great thing is that every shot she takes is a good and an open shot but the bad is that she misses more than she should. Her outside shots are not taken under duress which makes her statistics that much more concerning. But it was good to see her hit a fair share of them…at least early.

Was able to take it to the bucket once the defense started to face up on her from 3 (after she made the early ones). You cannot expect her to be effective driving to the basket if the defense sags off because they don’t respect her shot. She has to hit the three at least sometimes, like she did today, so that opens up her penetration game. I thought she had some nice moments on the boards as well.

PB – another outstanding game. What will we look like if she has an off night??

Liv – didn’t do much good, didn’t do much wrong, just didn’t do much.

AG – that 3 looked great! Hope to see it a bit more often.

AE – overall I was disappointed as now I expect more from her. A good moment or two and some bad moments. Too many TOs and missed FTs!
I can simplify this thread. As the season goes on, other teams are more aware of UConn's strengths and weaknesses and are adjusting. When Aubrey and Nika are on the floor together, we have two high energy, low offense players. Every team is giving ONO the top of the key shot. Having 3 relatively poor shooters, combined with William's shooting slump, means a defense can clog the middle and focus on Paige. No accident our scoring has gone down. We still have a great team, good defense, and Geno is adjusting, sitting Nika more when offense is needed and forcing more movement, pick and rolls, etc.

Reaction Score
Watch Makurat when she comes back. They do the exact same things. Neither of them have any idea how to get a shot off in traffic. Even on layups they barely leave the floor. On 3s they take a 4 inch hop. Just never learned it in Europe and it doesn't look like it's going to change.
We have a strong need for a consistent 3 point shooter. Not sure why many seem to forget Anna shot over 50% on 3 pointers the last half of last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can simplify this thread. As the season goes on, other teams are more aware of UConn's strengths and weaknesses and are adjusting. When Aubrey and Nika are on the floor together, we have two high energy, low offense players. Every team is giving ONO the top of the key shot. Having 3 relatively poor shooters, combined with William's shooting slump, means a defense can clog the middle and focus on Paige. No accident our scoring has gone down. We still have a great team, good defense, and Geno is adjusting, sitting Nika more when offense is needed and forcing more movement, pick and rolls, etc.
I would add one more element to your post. Evina, who was as consistent as any Husky through the first part of the season, has been inconsistent over the past few games, particularly from the arc.

Reaction Score
Good points. We need to be able to shoot from the outside and GA has also started to sit EW, at least every other game as well. Her shooting has been a big issue the last 5 games as well. Basically, outside of PB, we don't have any consistent outside shooters lately. In fact, we are pretty awful.

If PB has an off night, we may struggle to hit 50 points! We have become very reliant on PB.

Reaction Score
I would add one more element to your post. Evina, who was as consistent as any Husky through the first part of the season, has been inconsistent over the past few games, particularly from the arc.
Inconsistent is very kind. She has been downright awful.

Reaction Score
Would like to see Nika shoot the ball more, and not just from behind the arc. She seems to pass up on too many 10-12 footers. I get it, she like to pass the ball; but she does need to take more shots.
We need the balanced scoring to make everybody effective. The defense has to play all players and they aren't having to do that now. This is especially true of Liv. We are pass happy freshmen who continue to grow and now have to play like sophs+. Our soft error prone first quarters need to be put behind us. The talent is there, grow!

Reaction Score
You wasted your own time, obviously, since you read it and commented. Who made you the arbiter of what is relevant? The height of arrogance to use “our”, you certainly don’t speak for me.
If you are a true basketball fan, the NBA is unwatchable, eh? The NBA is focused on dunks, illegal step-back 40 foot 3-point shots and [other] one-on-one hi-lite reel mockeries.
Recently, James Harden stepped off the plane in NY, and that night, without ANY practice with his new team, the Nets, scored 32 points. This disparity tells me that NBA basketball and women's college basketball have little in common, and analogies between the two leagues and players have little to no relevance.

Reaction Score
Yeah LJ averaged 30 and won nothing that year. PB is more than just a scorer, she has the ability to lift her teammates level of play. We will not win a championship with everyone standing around watching PB score. We need others to step up and I believe they will. You have to dare others to be great.
Melo as I said had plenty of help, he wasn’t forced to carry the team like PB. You had GM shooting deep threes, HW on the low blocks and Pace slashing to the basket. PB has nothing close to that type of support. He probably had money in high school and college, most stars do, so don’t make it seem like he was starving.

1--- No-- LeBron won it that year in 11-12. That year his team beat the Thunder 4-1. So when LeBron wins we can see that ball dominators can win.

2-- LeBron is also more than a scorer too, and he lifts his teammates too. Thus Paige can do the same thing.

3-- UCONN showed you can beat a top tier team with one ball dominator In the SC game. I felt they also had a lot of backdoor cuts - and setting a lot of picks etc. As a result, Imo, the UCONN players overall were not just standing around. UCONN wouldn't have gotten as many OREB's as an example if their bigs were just standing around.

4- Ball dominators can win championships. Not only did LeBron show it, did Melo show it, but also Kemba showed it.

5-- When UCONN is facing a team with a legit shot to beat them, they need to worry about the game at hand. Not how their offense might have to play in the game(s) following. As a result, the best way to win is to feed the best player in WCBB who is showing extreme rarefied play not seen in many years.

6-- Just to reiterate: Others can step up. I never argued that point/ I had always said when other players get hot- feed them too. This is why the exhibition games vs a team like GTWON are so valuable to build up others. And that is why those that bash UCONN being in the conference as if it is near so awful,-are so wrong.

7-- Yes "dare to be great." But in order to achieve being great- the best way to do it is by giving your team the best chance of success toward that particular game in which you are going to be threatened. And the best way to do it-- is the game we saw vs SC. The exhibition games UCONN is going forward in now in the Big East will help the other players better prepare for the next encounter vs a threatening team. If no one shows they are stepping up in terms of efficiency then not allowing Paige to do what she did in SC is not "daring the others to be great" but it's showing stubbornness which often will result in a team going down in flames much earlier than anticipated.

8-- Melo was exactly forced to carry the team. If you are so tied to Melo not carrying the team - then maybe we can reach a compromise? I want Paige to do what Melo did if her teammates are not showing much better efficiency in these upcoming exhibition games. And if we were to look at the NCAA Tourney Melo averaged 2 assists per game. Not 10.

9—Paige can’t get that many assists and then we'd expect UCONN to win vs the elite teams if her teammates can’t shoot. But UCON has shown they can beat them when Paige is taking many shots. Force the defense to react to Paige-- then the assists will follow. :)

Reaction Score
1--- No-- LeBron won it that year in 11-12. That year his team beat the Thunder 4-1. So when LeBron wins we can see that ball dominators can win.

2-- LeBron is also more than a scorer too, and he lifts his teammates too. Thus Paige can do the same thing.

3-- UCONN showed you can beat a top tier team with one ball dominator In the SC game. I felt they also had a lot of backdoor cuts - and setting a lot of picks etc. As a result, Imo, the UCONN players overall were not just standing around. UCONN wouldn't have gotten as many OREB's as an example if their bigs were just standing around.

4- Ball dominators can win championships. Not only did LeBron show it, did Melo show it, but also Kemba showed it.

5-- When UCONN is facing a team with a legit shot to beat them, they need to worry about the game at hand. Not how their offense might have to play in the game(s) following. As a result, the best way to win is to feed the best player in WCBB who is showing extreme rarefied play not seen in many years.

6-- Just to reiterate: Others can step up. I never argued that point/ I had always said when other players get hot- feed them too. This is why the exhibition games vs a team like GTWON are so valuable to build up others. And that is why those that bash UCONN being in the conference as if it is near so awful,-are so wrong.

7-- Yes "dare to be great." But in order to achieve being great- the best way to do it is by giving your team the best chance of success toward that particular game in which you are going to be threatened. And the best way to do it-- is the game we saw vs SC. The exhibition games UCONN is going forward in now in the Big East will help the other players better prepare for the next encounter vs a threatening team. If no one shows they are stepping up in terms of efficiency then not allowing Paige to do what she did in SC is not "daring the others to be great" but it's showing stubbornness which often will result in a team going down in flames much earlier than anticipated.

8-- Melo was exactly forced to carry the team. If you are so tied to Melo not carrying the team - then maybe we can reach a compromise? I want Paige to do what Melo did if her teammates are not showing much better efficiency in these upcoming exhibition games. And if we were to look at the NCAA Tourney Melo averaged 2 assists per game. Not 10.

9—Paige can’t get that many assists and then we'd expect UCONN to win vs the elite teams if her teammates can’t shoot. But UCON has shown they can beat them when Paige is taking many shots. Force the defense to react to Paige-- then the assists will follow. :)
the assists will follow if her teammates can make the darn shots!!

Reaction Score

1. Lebron averaged 30 with Cleveland, no title.
2. Exactly, he could average over 30 a game if he focused only on scoring.
3. Barely beat SC. Imagine if other players were more involved on offense.
4. Kemba more so, even tho he had help as I explained earlier. Rarely done. I was in awe watching that magical run! Melo only had one game over 20 points the entire tournament that year. That’s not carrying a team!
5. We play for March Madness. Better to lose a game now, tinkering with things than to lose in the tournament. Remember KW’s team finally came together in the BE tournament.
6. Yeah,ok.
7. We shall see.
8. See 3. above. Melo had help.
9. Can’t shoot? Get in the gym after practice. Move without the ball PB will find you.

Reaction Score
If you are a true basketball fan, the NBA is unwatchable, eh? The NBA is focused on dunks, illegal step-back 40 foot 3-point shots and [other] one-on-one hi-lite reel mockeries.
Recently, James Harden stepped off the plane in NY, and that night, without ANY practice with his new team, the Nets, scored 32 points. This disparity tells me that NBA basketball and women's college basketball have little in common, and analogies between the two leagues and players have little to no relevance.
NBA = Not Basketball Anymore

Reaction Score
1. Lebron averaged 30 with Cleveland, no title.
2. Exactly, he could average over 30 a game if he focused only on scoring.
3. Barely beat SC. Imagine if other players were more involved on offense.
4. Kemba more so, even tho he had help as I explained earlier. Rarely done. I was in awe watching that magical run! Melo only had one game over 20 points the entire tournament that year. That’s not carrying a team!
5. We play for March Madness. Better to lose a game now, tinkering with things than to lose in the tournament. Remember KW’s team finally came together in the BE tournament.
6. Yeah,ok.
7. We shall see.
8. See 3. above. Melo had help.
9. Can’t shoot? Get in the gym after practice. Move without the ball PB will find you.
1 Lebron averaged over 30 in playoffs in 11-12 and won a title.

2-- While averaging over 30 in playoffs in 11-12, he also passed well enough, as he led his team in assists.

3- Barley beating SC means UCONN did beat SC. Whether you win by 1 or by 10 - wins count the same whether by 1 or 10.

4-- Rarely done is the point. UCONN has player who is performing at a level rarely done. So rarely done applies in this instance.

5-- We play to improve so we are best prepared for March Madness. Better to win than lose. And we are tinkering as evidenced by the different play between SC and GTOWN games. So winning teams can tinker too. And yes I remember Kemba as the ball dominator leading UCONN to victory just as Paige can do.

6 and 7 - yes-- okay and we shall see.

8 See my prior post. Melo averaged 2 assists in playoffs. So can Paige when needed in threatening games.

9 - In terms of shooting -- "Show me. Don't tell me." In terms of Paige finding others - she can find them setting picks for her and for them getting getting backdoor layups just as they did vs SC even though Paige was a ball dominator. A strategy that showed victory can be achieved. Also, players can hit shots efficiently and move without the ball as they play with a ball dominator too, as evidenced by LeBron winning.

Until then - limit their perimeter shots in big games vs Paige getting shots unless someone (or "they") gets hot. . "Show me they can hit shots from her passes. Don't tell me."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom