Georgetown Postgame Thread [merged] | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgetown game:
  • Doing some family things, so I missed much of today’s game. I have a couple comments and then look forward to reading what the BY has to say about the Georgetown game.
  • Sarge’s “Prognosticator’s Predictions” probably had a spread of UConn plus 40-60, with an average MOV close to 50. I can’t imagine who might have called this score….:confused:
  • One element of suspense for UConn, pretty much every game this season, is who will suit up and play? In today’s game the same 8 players as last game were available, hopefully with both Caroline & Ayanna returning soon. But Azzi getting banged up once again is just terrible. When will it end?
  • There’s usually an ugly win every season during winter break. Let’s hope this was it. Hate to think of what was going on in the Chat room. :eek:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What to say, what to say...

First, devastated for Azzi's injury. Speechless as far as that goes. Praying for her, and the team but...

Aside from a 5-minute stretch to start Q3, and about 3 minutes mid-way thru Q4, one of the worst games I've seen against a below average team. Sure, we won. Sure a bunch of players had double figures in scoring, so the final margin and box score may look "ok". Oh, and the FT's were actually really good. 9-0 run on just FT's. But good lawd - what a sleep-walking performance. And the turnovers were mind-numbing.

Having said that, am SO tired of the overly physical play that UCONN seems to endure. Thought we were done with that after leaving the AAC and UCF/ECU. Refs need to start calling actual fouls. Even tho Georgetown got called for a lot. Foul out 2 starters in the first quarter and I guarantee teams will play cleaner.

Is it possible that the plethora of UCONN injuries are in part because teams know we have more talent so they gang up with the physical play? May not DIRECTLY be responsible, but at some point, I gotta ask that question...

Edwards and Juhasz with double-doubles. Some individual nice plays at times, but... Ok on to the next. Let's put this in the rear view mirror please!!!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Georgetown, with nothing to lose and like several BE opponents, adopted the Coach Abe style of defense. It is ridiculous how bad UConn is being beat up this season without fouls being called.

I can’t imagine how bad the first half score would have been, if Georgetown shot decently.

Lou seemingly thinks she gets fouled every time she shoots. A little surprised the coaches tolerate her acts of dismay.

I know Cuomo is beloved here but she repeats herself A LOT. She must have said “the game is physical” at least ten times.

Georgetown was never going to shoot well enough to stay with UConn for four quarters.

The drop in turnovers lasted one game.

Nika's occasional sloppy passing probably warranted some time on the bench. To paraphrase Geno, “it is what it is”, he is not going to rotate players like CD does. I just have to accept it. It isn’t going to change.

It wasn’t pretty and potentially costly with another injury but it is still a win. Hopefully, Ayanna and Caroline are ready for the next game.

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 3.57.14 PM.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
  • Doing some family things, so I missed much of today’s game. I have a couple comments and then look forward to reading what the BY has to say about the Georgetown game.
  • Sarge’s “Prognosticator’s Predictions” probably had a spread of UConn plus 40-60, with an average MOV close to 50. I can’t imagine who might have called this score….:confused:
  • One element of suspense for UConn, pretty much every game this season, is who will suit up and play? In today’s game the same 8 players as last game were available, hopefully with both Caroline & Ayanna returning soon. But Azzi getting banged up once again is just terrible. When will it end?
  • There’s usually an ugly win every season during winter break. Let’s hope this was it. Hate to think of what was going on in the Chat room. :eek:
It wasn't particularly ugly, mostly stunned and disappointed.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Georgetown, with nothing to lose and like several BE opponents, adopted the Coach Abe style of defense. It is ridiculous how bad UConn is being beat up this season without fouls being called.

I can’t imagine how bad the first half score would have been, if Georgetown shot decently.

Lou seemingly thinks she gets fouled every time she shoots. A little surprised the coaches tolerate her acts of dismay.

I know Cuomo is beloved here but she repeats herself A LOT. She must have said “the game is physical” at least ten times.

Georgetown was never going to shoot well enough to stay with UConn for four quarters.

The drop in turnovers lasted one game.

Nika's occasional sloppy passing probably warranted some time on the bench. To paraphrase Geno, “it is what it is”, he is not going to rotate players like CD does. I just have to accept it. It isn’t going to change.

It wasn’t pretty and potentially costly with another injury but it is still a win. Hopefully, Ayanna and Caroline are ready for the next game.
Teams are apparently told to be VERY physical and UCONN is exposed to a lot of physical contact

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Take the win and move on. We don't blow everybody out. Just a fact.

Another poor officiated game. Called next to nothing in the first half and whistled everything in the second half. Pitiful.

Hope Azzi is okay.

Dorka and Aaliyah with double/ doubles despite the roughness underneath.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let it go OD, you don't want to know. :confused:

Reaction Score
Hold your nose for this performance....because it stinks
AE and DJ seemed to play well, but Nika was a little off and we decided giving the other team the ball was a good idea.
In the last part of the game Amari was in, I swear sometimes she doesn't have a clue about what to do.

Reaction Score
The only issue I have with Geno is his sub patterns… less than three minutes left , up by 22, and all of your starters are still in…This is his style… CD , imo, did a much better job subbing….
I’m worried that Azzi is injury prone ( doesn’t she have a history of this)???
Watched South Carolina prior to UConn… I can’t see UConn beating them, really can’t…. hope I’m wrong… All SC has to do is to play good defense in a half court game…. lights out.

Reaction Score
I think it’s hard to put too much stock into how the team plays one way or the other due to all the injuries. Not only are players missing time practicing and being able to improve their skill and conditioning, the team isn’t practicing in a functional way.

Have to enjoy the W and keep working towards the next.

The team has all the pieces needed to make a deep run in the tourney IF they can get to full health and STAY healthy.

Reaction Score
I'm not particularly concerned by this game. GTown roughed us up a bit in the 1st half and knocked us off our game. It's a little disappointing that we could be discombobulated so easily. But these games are inevitable, and we're going to see a lot of similar approaches to playing us later in the season, so we might as well get used to it now.

Some really good indicators: Aaliyah and Dorka each put up double doubles, and we shot 85% on FTs. That last may seem trivial, but it's been a problem in previous years.

Reaction Score
Good news, Azzi was giving thumbs up to her parents and to someone else as she walked around on court after game.

Bad news? Just delete this thread and let’s erase everything else about this game.

Bring on the Captain Hooks of Seton Hall!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

It wasn’t pretty and potentially costly with another injury but it is still a win. Hopefully, Ayanna and Caroline are ready for the next game
Totally don't understand your Lou comment. Thus the dislike.
Seeing how it is a short time before the game in New Jersey, I doubt that Caroline or Ayanna will be cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom