Georgetown Postgame Thread [merged] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the game today, also and saw much of the same as already posted. I do give credit to Georgetown, they came in and played very tough! Yeah, they pushed, grabbed, banged, and certainly fouled, but if you get away with it, why not just keep doing it. It did catch up with them in the 3Q. Georgetown played fearless, attacked the rim, and ran very well designed plays. UConn threw too many passes away, trying to make a difficult pass rather than an simple one. A lot of standing around at times, not running offense. Defense was overall good. Nika needs a rest here and there (CD rotation could be the answer)), the lack of which causes bad passes. A win is a win, but it took a lot out of me and Mrs. Gigio.

Reaction Score
Say what? Leading scorer Ransom had 3 points because of Aubrey’s defense. Aubrey drove into th paint and almost single handedly got G’town’s posts into foul trouble. She was 6-8 from the line and led the team in FT attempts
I thought she had a solid game. Lock down “D.” My only concern is her increasing hesitation to shoot outside. When she misses early on, she seems to avoid shooting for the rest of the game. Gtown was sagging off her.

Reaction Score
A few of the little kids in the crowd were very cute. I didn’t find much else to smile about.
I will say my little one had a blast! Future cheerleader in the making!
A dear friend of mine who’s daughter was a cheerleader told me you get to watch a more basketball games out of it .

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The baby cheering and clapping got a lot f awws in our house
I also remember an little cheerleader in a Husky outfit that was adorable. I guess we'll leave Husky fandom in good hands.

Reaction Score
As Maestro said, the game plan against Uconn was and is:

"Faceguard Lou
Pack the paint
Be as physical especially in the paint as the refs allow...push the envelope to straddle the line between legal physical and illegally mugging..."

We depend on Lou for almost all our outside shooting when Azzi and Caroline are out. What should be our strength as a team, is actually our weakness sometimes due to injuries.

A couple of good developments though:

1) Aubrey has turned into maybe the best shutdown defender in women's college basketball IMO. Her last 2 games especially have been fantastic defensively. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Aubrey isn't hurting us.

2) Nika looks more confident shooting. She needs to contribute and she is improving. Bad day passing but other than that a good game.

This team is going to struggle to score against top teams without Azzi and Caroline. Today we struggled against Georgetown. Pray for Azzi and Caroline to return. We need Ayanna also.

Reaction Score
What’s the over/under on Azzi ever playing a full seaso. May go down as one of the best players not to play a full season. Can you say Snake Bit? Dorka was without the A in Dorka today. She needs to go to the hands store and find a pair that works.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thanks again, I really, really appreciate it but I gotta disagree...I've had my moments and, unfortunately, plenty of them.
We all have. Trust me I've been a soapbox stinker more than a few times. The point is 1) Having the straights to admit when you're wrong and 2) Backing up your stance with some knowledge of the game instead of just blowing it out your closet just for the need to be right.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The only issue I have with Geno is his sub patterns… less than three minutes left , up by 22, and all of your starters are still in…This is his style… CD , imo, did a much better job subbing….
I’m worried that Azzi is injury prone ( doesn’t she have a history of this)???
Watched South Carolina prior to UConn… I can’t see UConn beating them, really can’t…. hope I’m wrong… All SC has to do is to play good defense in a half court game…. lights out.

You have an issue the Geno's sub patterns. OK.

Started the game with 8 players and was down to 7 for the entire second half. What is your sub pattern. Amari is completely inconsistent in what she will deliver. Ines is a freshman still learning a very complex system. Caroline and Ayanna are out in concussion protocol.

Geno plays those he trusts. Trust is earned in practices. You may not like it but that has been what Geno has done since arriving at UConn. Geno will not change his standard and he shouldn't. I don't want to hear that the bench can't develop unless he plays the bench. That argument is a red herring.

Do not sell this team short on SC.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Totally don't understand your Lou comment. Thus the dislike.
Seeing how it is a short time before the game in New Jersey, I doubt that Caroline or Ayanna will be cleared.
Thanks for the explanation. I try to be positive in game remarks. Lou and Nika both can be dramatic when they don’t get foul calls. UConn kids usually don’t bark at officials. They let Geno do it for them.

Reaction Score
Dorka may have put up a double double but for most of the game she couldn't buy a basket. The biggest disappointment for me was LLS. Not only was she not much a of an offensive factor but there was a couple of plays where she really fell asleep.
Well someone just did a thread on Lou never has a bad night. Kind of like saying this kid 8 or 8 from the charity stripe so far, or Hey, the pitcher has a no hitter going. You did this to her. It is over now, move on, never do it again.

Reaction Score
More perception - as I stated in another post, Edwards had as many TOs as Muhl handling the ball much less but hers are obviously not an issue. Dorka had 4 less points, 1 less rebound, 1 less turnover, and 2 more assists than Edwards but she was lost and Edwards saved our bacon. Seriously, I think not…….…….
The fact is, Edwards had 8 of her 17 points after Uconn led by 15 so while all points matter, she led the team in scoring, she didn’t “save” anything. And that is not presented in any way shape or form as a knock, Edwards is a terrific player having a tremendous year, but she was as much off her feed today as every Uconn player was, it happens.
And oh, by the way, as Husky Nan pointed out, they played pretty poorly and still won by 15. This team has gone through a lot and came up a stinker today but gutted out a win but there is just no pleasing people who think a basketball game should be judged by style points.

Reaction Score
This play isn’t going to cut it on Tuesday.
Sometimes you git the bear, and sometimes the bear gits you
Let’s just call it an aberration and move on.
PS: Some of the passing was outright bizarre.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Georgetown let-down is nothing to worry about

To begin with UConn like the rest of the women's basketball world got caught looking past Georgetown. They underestimated them and thought they just had to show up. Meanwhile, Georgetown who figures at this stage of the season they have nothing to lose decided to play physical. They knew that UConn is depleted, they know that players like Azzi are trying to get their sea legs under them...so, they thought we will bump and grind this game out and with UConn already depleted with vitually no help off the bench we will try and wear them out. It worked for the first half...as they kept it to a one point difference...kudos to them for having a game plan, working the plan and sticking to it. In doing so, Georgetown committed 25 fouls...UConn made them pay for their discretions by hitting 22 out of 26.

UConn held Georgetown 11 points below their average...while UConn only scored 4 points higher than what Georgetown usually holds their opponents to (61). UConn's offense stalled due to the physicality of the first half and the lack of offensive flow... UConn played out of rhythm for most the entire game. Georgetown shot the ball better from three than they usually do...hitting 7 three pointers where they usually average 4 three pointers. UConn shot 5 for 16 from three for 31 percent. Also, UConn must take better care of the basketball...23 turnovers is not only inexcusable but it will not bode well for UConn come March.

This game was called inconsistently...almost no calls in the first quarter...few calls in the 2nd quarter and then BOOM! The referees woke up for the second half and called just about everything. It came down to our bigs getting double / doubles from both of them.

All in all I am not worried about this game...yeah, I was looking forward to watching UConn play beautiful basketball...it didn't happen but a win is a win. I will change my optimism if I find out that Azzi Fudd will be out for a protracted period of time...but, I was encouraged to see her give her parents the double thumbs up and also by the fact that she was walking around without ice or a limp after the game. Her demeanor on the bench gave me the impression that there isn't anything to worry about. However, with the sting of bad luck UConn has had lately one could conclude that if it wasn't for bad luck UConn would have no luck at all. But, with only Bettencourt and DeBerry coming off the bench, Azzi out the 2nd half; Patterson and Caroline still on concussion protocols...I am not worried that the season will be a bust. We may have some tough days at the office over the next 2 weeks but, I suspect that our players will get healthy and they will return in time to help the Huskies go for a deep run in the NCAAs to the final four and then anything can happen...

If adversity builds character...then I would say that UConn should have an abundance of it. Go Huskies!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If Azzi can play, Azzi needs to start. Opens up the floor and helps everyone get into a better offensive rhythm from the get-go.
Uconn has played 17 games, Fudd has started 7. Uconn has out-scored their opponents by 151 points in the 1st quarter in those 17 games. If Auriemma decides to start Fudd, fine, no one should remotely have a problem. But the fact is Uconn has had no trouble getting off to fast starts without her in the starting lineup.
Now, not having her available, that is a MUCH different story.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A few comments and a question:

The game started out with the refs calling nothing. Georgetown took advantage of that, but UConn couldn't with only 6 rotation players plus two who don't play much. They couldn't start out the game hacking on every play. Georgetown took advantage of that, and it worked for the first half. But then the refs changed how they were calling the game, and Georgetown never adjusted.

I watched the Louisville-FSU game, and it was called similarly to the first half of this game. It was also difficult to watch.

Question: Do the refs ever discuss with the coaches how a game will be called? When there's a radical change, as between the halves of this one, do they tell the coaches? Something like, "We're afraid this one might get out of hand, so we're gonna tighten it up."? Does the NCAA even acknowledge that the way games are called isn't uniform?

Reaction Score
I don't think Lou gets enough calls. I don't see her working the refs inappropriately. It's real clear who does though. It's maybe more a part of the European game. So far it's working.

Reaction Score
Haley Jones is now shooting 11.5% from the 3 point line this year. After shooting around 24% last year. 13.3 points a game. I'm sorry but I'd take Lou, Aubrey or Azzi over her. It's not like she's spectacular on defense or scoring a lot per game. If you can't hit 3 pointers at even a 30% rate that's a liability in many ways. She's good but not All American good. Maybe 2nd team. Brinks was 3 for 14 today. Jump 0-5. If they don't shoot well they have a big problem.

Reaction Score
Thanks again, I really, really appreciate it but I gotta disagree...I've had my moments and, unfortunately, plenty of them.
We all do, Centerstream. I think what Jordy's saying is that you seem to have less than others?

Reaction Score
Nika said they didn't have it in shootaround. She didn't lay it on Georgetown, but she sure looks POed or sullen or she's falling asleep.

Must have been something in the air at the XL??? Men’s team was even more out of sorts and took the L against a very mediocre St John’s.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Must have been something in the air at the XL??? Men’s team was even more out of sorts and took the L against a very mediocre St John’s.
Geno said something last game about a cold that’s been going around the team. I’ve had the head cold for a week now and it’s just as bad so some kids may be sick or suffering the fatigue you get after

I know Clingan was sick as a dog during the Marquette game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom