Georgetown Postgame Thread [merged] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn has played 17 games, Fudd has started 7. Uconn has out-scored their opponents by 151 points in the 1st quarter in those 17 games. If Auriemma decides to start Fudd, fine, no one should remotely have a problem. But the fact is Uconn has had no trouble getting off to fast starts without her in the starting lineup.
Now, not having her available, that is a MUCH different story.
Coaching staffs might have figured something out: admittedly a small sample, but UConn is a combined net +4 in the first quarters for the past two games.

Reaction Score
I don't think Lou gets enough calls. I don't see her working the refs inappropriately. It's real clear who does though. It's maybe more a part of the European game. So far it's working.
Lou hasn't taken a free throw shot in few games, and today one would've thought it would be her night for free throws, but every starter made Fts except her which is crazy to me since it looked like she was fouled a couple times when shooting. I wonder if that messes with you especially if you're not shooting all that great to begin with. Anyway, I've been actively rooting for her to score 10+ every game, and was hoping for a 20+ from her and Azzi tonight. Maybe next time...I am waiting for the day she goes for 30.

Reaction Score
Coaching staffs might have figured something out: admittedly a small sample, but UConn is a combined net +4 in the first quarters for the past two games.
So that is a reason to panic and change the starting lineup? There has been enough change and turmoil to this team without reacting to as you admit, such a small sample size.
To add, actually, the net of the 1st qtr in the last two games is +8 and the final MOVs combined is +45, hardly numbers that necessitate a change IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm not particularly concerned by this game. GTown roughed us up a bit in the 1st half and knocked us off our game. It's a little disappointing that we could be discombobulated so easily. But these games are inevitable, and we're going to see a lot of similar approaches to playing us later in the season, so we might as well get used to it now.

Some really good indicators: Aaliyah and Dorka each put up double doubles, and we shot 85% on FTs. That last may seem trivial, but it's been a problem in previous years.
I’d argue that this is how teams beat UConn. They use their physicality to get in our grill. Georgetown has the players to do that. I’m curious to see how they do going forward against the rest of the BE.
IMO this strategy isn’t new.
When a really good team roughs us up, like in the Final 4, season over.
When someone is trying to punch you in the nose, you just have to take it at them. Protect the rock and just slash. Slice them up. We must never forget, UConn has the better players.
I’ve been saying for years, in these situations, Geno’s passing game bogs down because the kids are made to stop moving. Come on man, have a plan B in the ready. No handoffs, no fluffy passes like DJ and NM were attempting. Basic basketball: catch and face and take somebody to the hole. Leave driving lanes. Crash the glass and relocate for the open J’s. Your basic “dribble drive”. We have better players! Gotta give it back to these teams, just like they’re giving it to us. Can’t get AZ in the Final 4 out if my mind.

Reaction Score
I thought she had a solid game. Lock down “D.” My only concern is her increasing hesitation to shoot outside. When she misses early on, she seems to avoid shooting for the rest of the game. Gtown was sagging off her.
She’s a slasher, not a shooter. We all know this. How much evidence do we need. I’m actually scared she’ll decide to shoot in a big game. Was it ND?
Now, why isn’t she getting lanes to drive to the hole. She can do that effectively. Geno’s gotta open it up for her. Geno’s passing game doesn’t get her the looks.

Reaction Score
I agree--Nika's theatrics on fouls are getting to be a bit much, especially for someone who never admits to fouling.... I'll give her a break against Georgetown however because they were fouling UConn fairly hard in the first half and nothing was being called... The refs really had a poor showing in today's game...
Hard to ref in these circumstances. Like trying to ref the Bad Boys of the 90’s NBA. Could call a foul every possession.
Yesterday the refs tried to get control but I guess we all felt it was an over correction.
This program has to learn to punch back in a basketball sense. Take it to the hole. If the D converges, pitch to an open shooter. Hit the glass. Protect the rock. Create the space. We never do basic stuff to create the space. Dribbling hard to create passing angles or to take it to the hole. Pivoting, ball fakes, hard screening and cutting.
This defensive strategy has derailed UConn for a few years now. Time to wake up.
So great to see it now, rather than in April.

Reaction Score
So that is a reason to panic and change the starting lineup? There has been enough change and turmoil to this team without reacting to as you admit, such a small sample size.
To add, actually, the net of the 1st qtr in the last two games is +8 and the final MOVs combined is +45, hardly numbers that necessitate a change IMO.
Sorry, I may be looking at the wrong box scores. The ones I looked at had UConn up 6 vs StJ and down 2 vs Gtown after the respective first quarters. And agree - no need to panic. Just think it’d be better to start the best scorer at the start, rather than wait. (And I’m assuming Azzi is healthy and is going to play (even if limited minutes) anyway.)

Reaction Score
Probably the worst game of the year. Easily the worst half of the year:
1). Georgetown played aggressive perimeter defense, and that threw everything off. Nika couldnt beat the perimeter with the dribble, and she had a lot of TOs with forced passing. Not just her. Outside shots were defended tightly ..and were missed. Great teams know how to adjust on the fly. We didnt adjust for the entire half.
2). Too many TOs, some forced..but not enough turning TOs into easy points to our benefit. We need more easy points.
3). This is how good teams like SC will play us. We need to develop a mid-range game. It seems like a lot of 3-pointers or forcing things inside. The mid-range or pull-up jumpers are how you beat aggressive defenses. When's the last time Nika pulled up for a jumper? The mid-range shots were there all day today if we wanted them.
4). The team looked slow and tired. Out-hussled for rebounds. I bet the flu or something is still hitting Lou and other players. AG has regressed. She lost the pop with her energy and lift.
5). Once again, a setback with our health. Hope the Azzi injury was just a shot of pain from the hit and not more ligament stretching. It didnt look like a big knock on her knee.
6). Not to pick on the bench, but Amari & Innes looked bad out there today when we had the game in hand. This is why you dont play them meaningful minutes in the 1st quarter. They're simply not ready.

I imagine that with all the injury issues, having to come up with different lineups as a result, in addition to the toughest off-season schedule this season, would have a toll on the team - emotionally as much as physically.

Aggressive defense is part of the game. As Bill Russell often liked to say, basketball is a contact sport - just not a collision sport. But physical defense IS a part of the game, to monitored degrees. Basketball as a sport is a free-flowing rhythm sport that requires poise and efficiency, so any physical defense that disrupts that rhythm and flow will always be number #1 on the list of possible ways to counter an effective offense.

So when a team comes up against a strong defensive opponent, often you'll hear that team's fans afterwards bemoan how "ugly" the game was, how their team had an "off" night, and just express disappointment in how their team handled it. But again, that's part of basketball, and it's not the exception but the rule. And its the rule for every single WCBB team out there, when THEY run up against a strong defensive opponent.

Georgetown is not particularly a "great" defensive team: they are 5th in the Big East in both Scoring Defense and FG % Defense. That's still solid. But they ARE 1st in the league in Steals per Game, and 2nd in Turnovers Forced per Game, so they played to their standing there. Fans should expect CT to have subpar offensive outputs when they go up against above par defensive opponents. That CT still won the game handily still bears well for them. Great teams find ways to win when they do not play great....

Reaction Score
No reason to be sorry and I certainly am not arguing against Fudd starting at all. My thoughts are Auriemma has always talked about his desire to always have a scorer off the bench to impact the game when entering. If and when Ducharme comes back I think she could obviously assume that role.
Generally speaking, I think starting is vastly overrated when compared to finishing; if Fudd is available she certainly would be on the court then.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts:

G'town's strategy seemed to be guard the arc tightly and do whatever is necessary to prevent scoring opportunities inside the arc. Tough to win the game this way, not pretty basketball. It sorta worked until G'town started running out of fouls to give. I fear this will be the template for other lesser teams.

Speaking of how the game was called, did you see the earlier men's game? Horribly called, worse than the women's game.

DeBerry was in and out of the game in a blink of an eye (2 possessions, boxscore says 3 mins) and rightly so. Pulling someone that quick was like shades of Jim Calhoun when he was coaching.

It also looked like UConn wanted to run out the clock with 6 or 7 minutes remaining. I can understand being sick of this game and wanting to get out of the building, but you can't run out the clock with that many minutes remaining, you have to play basketball. This enable the lead to be cut from 24 down to 15.

Reaction Score
Say what? Leading scorer Ransom had 3 points because of Aubrey’s defense. Aubrey drove into th paint and almost single handedly got G’town’s posts into foul trouble. She was 6-8 from the line and led the team in FT attempts
Have to agree with both Nan and TomCat. In the first half, Aubrey played defense but was outrebounded and basically stood around 30 feet on the wing on offense. Several times tried to drive to basket (Nika often gave her poor passes) and instead went into double teams, producing little. 2nd half, her defense intensified, she made a couple of key baskets when Georgetown had cut lead to 12, and was more involved in the motion offense. Summary: 1st half was the old, Aubrey. 2nd half, better.

Reaction Score
Perception!
Muhl had 5 TOs, but handles the ball every possession, many times more than once a possession but she also had 12 points on only 4 shots, 2-3 from 3, 6-6 from the line, 6 assists, good active D. But many fans take on her game is pretty negative.
Meanwhile, Edwards, handling the ball much, much less had the same 5 TOs but had 17 points on 11 shots, 11 rebounds, and 2 assists and TV announcers and fans take is she had a very positive game.
The fact of the matter is both played pretty well with way too many TOs. On to Seton Hall.
It appeared that Nika had many more TO'ers than 5. Particularly the first half, her weak passes lead Dorka and Edwards into double teams they could not see coming behind them. Nika didn't get credit for their TOers but she caused them. Nika played hard, provided good defense throughout the game, was on target with her many foul shots but not one of her better games.

Reaction Score
I’d argue that this is how teams beat UConn. They use their physicality to get in our grill. Georgetown has the players to do that. I’m curious to see how they do going forward against the rest of the BE.
IMO this strategy isn’t new.
When a really good team roughs us up, like in the Final 4, season over.
When someone is trying to punch you in the nose, you just have to take it at them. Protect the rock and just slash. Slice them up. We must never forget, UConn has the better players.
I’ve been saying for years, in these situations, Geno’s passing game bogs down because the kids are made to stop moving. Come on man, have a plan B in the ready. No handoffs, no fluffy passes like DJ and NM were attempting. Basic basketball: catch and face and take somebody to the hole. Leave driving lanes. Crash the glass and relocate for the open J’s. Your basic “dribble drive”. We have better players! Gotta give it back to these teams, just like they’re giving it to us. Can’t get AZ in the Final 4 out if my mind.
We have this Plan B this year, just didn't use it the 1st half. Towards the end of the game when Georgetown was catching up, Edwards just turned around and buried 3 5-10 foot jumpers instead of trying to drive through the double team. When they concentrated on Edwards in the 2nd half, the ball got to Dorka low for several layups. Lou, who had had shooting issues, drove for several short jumpers, then when Georgetown laid off, made a 3. This year's Huskie team has a more diverse skill set than any I have seen in many years. Will be interesting how and when Geno uses them as the year goes on.

Reaction Score
What to say, what to say...

First, devastated for Azzi's injury. Speechless as far as that goes. Praying for her, and the team but...

Aside from a 5-minute stretch to start Q3, and about 3 minutes mid-way thru Q4, one of the worst games I've seen against a below average team. Sure, we won. Sure a bunch of players had double figures in scoring, so the final margin and box score may look "ok". Oh, and the FT's were actually really good. 9-0 run on just FT's. But good lawd - what a sleep-walking performance. And the turnovers were mind-numbing.

Having said that, am SO tired of the overly physical play that UCONN seems to endure. Thought we were done with that after leaving the AAC and UCF/ECU. Refs need to start calling actual fouls. Even tho Georgetown got called for a lot. Foul out 2 starters in the first quarter and I guarantee teams will play cleaner.

Is it possible that the plethora of UCONN injuries are in part because teams know we have more talent so they gang up with the physical play? May not DIRECTLY be responsible, but at some point, I gotta ask that question...

Edwards and Juhasz with double-doubles. Some individual nice plays at times, but... Ok on to the next. Let's put this in the rear view mirror please!!!
I have been talking about the "They are just girls let them play" subconscious attitude by officials in the women's game for years. It is a form of sexism. These women are bigger, stronger and more athletic than they ever have been and yet the amount of pushing, shoving, body contact, and holding they allow is just plain disgusting. Basketball is a game in which 10 players are running or moving in limited space. If you are allowed to physically restrain the players it changes the game. Call the darn fouls even if it means 40 a game. It will return the sport to its quintessential form.

Notre Dame did the rough up on us and every team in the Big Dance will do it to us. If you watch a replay carefully of this last game and every other game you will see a plethora of uncalled fouls that we would even call in the playground, and they had to be real fouls to call them there or you weren't playing there anymore. This has been going on for years and it has been directed at UCONN which is more of a finesse team since few teams can match our talent and skill but anyone can foul hard. There is no end in sight unless the injuries reach such a level that someone else in a regulatory capacity starts to pay attention to them.

Reaction Score
It appeared that Nika had many more TO'ers than 5. Particularly the first half, her weak passes lead Dorka and Edwards into double teams they could not see coming behind them. Nika didn't get credit for their TOers but she caused them. Nika played hard, provided good defense throughout the game, was on target with her many foul shots but not one of her better games.
No, Muhl did not cause TOs credited to Edwards or Dorka. Until a receiver either has clear possession of the ball or in the rare occasion drops a perfect pass when all alone with no challenging defense, the TO goes to the passer. Even in the wide open instances, awarding the TO is up to the discretion of the official scorer and often will go to the passer.
And I would be interested to know what Uconn player you thought had one of their better games. No question Muhl didn’t but neither did anyone else.

sun

Reaction Score
According to Geno's comment on Sunday, he isn't very happy about how some bigs are playing.

Coach Geno Auriemma coached his second game back after missing several games flu-like symptoms. He said Saturday that the lingering illness and the death of his mother in December has changed his perspective when it comes to basketball.

“I’ve coached for 35, 40 years thinking that if we don’t win the national championship I’m going to get fired, that’s not a healthy way to live,” he said Saturday.

He noted Sunday that while he tried, he didn't always succeed in letting things roll off his back during the game, especially in the first half. It was something his assistant coaches noticed.

“I said, 'If I was a big guy, I wouldn't come to Connecticut unless you want to learn to get your shot blocked and miss layups,'” Auriemma said. “They were like, ‘So much for the new you.’”

Reaction Score
No, Muhl did not cause TOs credited to Edwards or Dorka. Until a receiver either has clear possession of the ball or in the rare occasion drops a perfect pass when all alone with no challenging defense, the TO goes to the passer. Even in the wide open instances, awarding the TO is up to the discretion of the official scorer and often will go to the passer.
And I would be interested to know what Uconn player you thought had one of their better games. No question Muhl didn’t but neither did anyone else.
For those intent on incorrectly blaming Muhl for Dorka and Edwards TOs, here they are -
Dorka (4 TOs)
1st quarter
8:12 - ball slipped out of her hands, stolen
2nd qtr
5:04 - ball stolen, tipped from behind out of her hands by Gtown player - stolen
3rd qtr
7:26 - cross court pass stolen
1:24 - pass from top of key to down low stolen

Edwards (5 TOs)
1st qtr
5:15 - drives into double team - travels
3:52 - gets clean pass into post; her pass back out is tipped and stolen
1:26 - sets illegal screen
2nd qtr
2:31 - pass from baseline into the middle - stolen
3rd qtr
0:58 - outlet pass - stolen

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I love the fact that you gave a sore thumb yet had the straights to say why. That is the point of a discussion. That is the way to disagree with respect. That is the right of it.
Disagree. Sometimes what people post is so stupid, inane or disrespectful that no discussion is warranted. A simple thumbs down should be enough.

On the other hand, I find it hilarious that some posters actually take offense to getting a thumbs down.

Reaction Score
For those intent on incorrectly blaming Muhl for Dorka and Edwards TOs, here they are -
Dorka (4 TOs)
1st quarter
8:12 - ball slipped out of her hands, stolen
2nd qtr
5:04 - ball stolen, tipped from behind out of her hands by Gtown player - stolen
3rd qtr
7:26 - cross court pass stolen
1:24 - pass from top of key to down low stolen

Edwards (5 TOs)
1st qtr
5:15 - drives into double team - travels
3:52 - gets clean pass into post; her pass back out is tipped and stolen
1:26 - sets illegal screen
2nd qtr
2:31 - pass from baseline into the middle - stolen
3rd qtr
0:58 - outlet pass - stolen
Nice analysis.

TOs are a problem and they seem to happen to dorka when she is surprised by a smaller player poking around her. AE tends to shuffle sometimes and gets too many charges called on her (some I don't agree with). Today showed she isnt a great passer either. NM has so much confidence in her ability that she takes some chances she shouldn't, sometimes she gets going on a drive or move, trusting she can make something happen along the way and sometimes she just makes a bad pass. Today and i think one other game when she had 6 TOs, is about the only ones I thought it was a big problem. TOs are going to happen from playmaking PTs. Nash and Magic were both playmakers and routinely were very high in TO rate per game.

Just to get ahead of any silly people out there, I'm not comparing NM's ability to nash or magic, just that they had high TO rates and I don't think NM is as high as those two.

I think dorka and NM got worn down as well. Both need a bit more of a breather but GA has no faith in AD or Ines, and for me, rightfully so. AD looked like she was in a cloud and Ines has problems with a fast pace, hectic defense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mr Naismith rolled over in his grave at least a couple of times
I don't think he was watching UCONN. They have the Hoop Hall Classic going on up here in Springfield this weekend.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ah ha!!! Checked out the UCONN calendar. This was the last game of the "dead session". Spring semester starts Tuesday. So their school/practice/game rhythm will/should be coming back. :D

Reaction Score
Some thoughts:

G'town's strategy seemed to be guard the arc tightly and do whatever is necessary to prevent scoring opportunities inside the arc. Tough to win the game this way, not pretty basketball. It sorta worked until G'town started running out of fouls to give. I fear this will be the template for other lesser teams.

Speaking of how the game was called, did you see the earlier men's game? Horribly called, worse than the women's game.

DeBerry was in and out of the game in a blink of an eye (2 possessions, boxscore says 3 mins) and rightly so. Pulling someone that quick was like shades of Jim Calhoun when he was coaching.

It also looked like UConn wanted to run out the clock with 6 or 7 minutes remaining. I can understand being sick of this game and wanting to get out of the building, but you can't run out the clock with that many minutes remaining, you have to play basketball. This enable the lead to be cut from 24 down to 15.
Deberry’s body language was terrible. IMO why Geno immediately pulled her out again.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation. I try to be positive in game remarks. Lou and Nika both can be dramatic when they don’t get foul calls. UConn kids usually don’t bark at officials. They let Geno do it for them.
I agree but we also know that our opponents are going to focus on stopping Lou when she is our only consistent outside shooter. The attention she is getting at all times is very physical and our opponents get away with it. However if she is near the person she is guarding, she gets whistled. To me, that has to be very frustrating, especially for a graduate student who seems to have a high basketball IQ.
As far as the dramatics, if it works for our opponents, we have nothing to lose doing it ourselves.

Reaction Score
I agree but we also know that our opponents are going to focus on stopping Lou when she is our only consistent outside shooter. The attention she is getting at all times is very physical and our opponents get away with it. However if she is near the person she is guarding, she gets whistled. To me, that has to be very frustrating, especially for a graduate student who seems to have a high basketball IQ.
As far as the dramatics, if it works for our opponents, we have nothing to lose doing it ourselves.
Lou gets called for the weakest calls ever at times and it’s really hard not to show frustration if you every played the game .. on her jumpers she gets hit on the arms quit often with no calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom