Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A nice early Saturday afternoon elixir. Now, enjoy the rest of the games today, enjoy the Super Bowl tomorrow and another week ranked #1.

Everything was firing right today and firing right off the bat.

When this team gets out to a quick lead, it's usually debilitating. I think Nova was the only team who withstood UConn's version of Iron Mike Tyson 1st round fury.

Ball movement sharp and quick? Cling Kong with assists?

What other team can pull this off? Starting C with 4 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists. Starting PG with 6 points, 6 rebounds, 9 assists. 2G with 10 points, 6 boards and 7 assists.

Reaction Score
We've talked about the team's unselfishness before, but I am still impress how this team knows that any starter on any given night can give them 20 and they are willing to sacrifice shots to run offense and be effective. It's all about the "W" with these guys and they really do play each other.
Even up by 20-25, a guy like Newton could have started throwing up some iffy shots to get his, but he doesn't. We've seen this from all 5 starters. And I love Hurley screaming at them because he doesn't want the to take a play off.
If any of you have seen it, Hurley & this team remind me of what Christian Bale talks about through "Ford vs Ferrari". The pursuit of the perfect 'lap'. Hurley seems like that is what he wants from the team. He want the perfect 40 minutes. And I think and rightfully so, he believes that if the 5 guys on the floor do so, there is no team in the country that can beat them. He really does remind me of Calhoun in his confidence in himself, the team and and what they can do together.

Reaction Score
Cooley was a Providence guy who loved the city and they loved him back. He could have stayed for life. A NCAA win every four or five years would have kept him an icon. But he has to put G'town in the NCAA in a couple of years or the seat will get toasty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Did you see all of the quitting and finger pointing on defense? They didn't look they wanted to be there. Cooley has his hands full to build a winning culture. Georgetown has been horrible for so long.

Ya really hate to see it.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed the game despite taking our foot off the gas in 2nd half but Dan handled that aggressively. I’m not a fan of “inside the huddle” or whatever they call it. Dan was trying to keep his team motivated and basically said that our offense should have no issue with their defense. I know this is true but I feel like it should be kept within the team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can't compete without talent.

And assuming Georgetown won't be playing home games at the DC Armory in 2028-29, the current home fan experience is awful.

Competing and being competitive are two different things. Cooley's current team sucks at both.

Reaction Score
Half of the of the already sparse student section bailed at halftime. We had some good UConn chants but I’m not sure if they came across on TV. This was a neutral court environment at worst: Hurley with a nice acknowledgement of the traveling support on his way out. AD Dave spent 20 minutes talking with some of us. Nothing earth-shattering but some interesting tidbits. Appreciate that he took the time.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Their defense is getting better. They lost focus a bit with the blow out but with the difference Clingan and Johnson present they are just difficult to score on. Most of the shots they hit were contested. Styles hit a few with a man right in his face. But our close outs on threes without fouling were very good today. I will take that type of center play every game. Johnson was over the square on one of the alley oops.

Reaction Score
Half of the of the already sparse student section bailed at halftime. We had some good UConn chants but I’m not sure if they came across on TV. This was a neutral court environment at worst: Hurley with a nice acknowledgement of the traveling support on his way out. AD Dave spent 20 minutes talking with some of us. Nothing earth-shattering but some interesting tidbits. Appreciate that he took the time.
Did he say that we're going to the B1G?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Starting PG with 6 points, 6 rebounds, 9 assists. 2G with 10 points, 6 boards and 7 assists.
They were indecisive about who would get a triple-double, and as a result, neither did. Hoping they figure it out.

Then again, the team moves to 3-0 at full strength. Nine deep, but Stewart & Ball stalled at 9 minutes apiece.

Room for improvement on Wednesday, with both teams working on impressive game streaks.

Reaction Score
After the game in Hartford I thought Georgetown would continue to get better and the return game in D.C. would be a pain, I was wrong, they look to be getting worse. The number of easy looks inside where Georgetown got lost was embarrassing.

Reaction Score
They took the 2nd half off. Dan took way too long to let them know it. It’s on the fix list now.
Another thing on the fix list is Newton making 3s. He hasn't made 1 in the last 4 games if I recall correctly

Reaction Score
After the game in Hartford I thought Georgetown would continue to get better and the return game in D.C. would be a pain, I was wrong, they look to be getting worse. The number of easy looks inside where Georgetown got lost was embarrassing.
They seem to play better on the road than at home

Reaction Score
Heard the UConn faithful loud and clear on TV

Reaction Score
I actually thought there would be a letdown today and a close game, plus Alex being injured but we are loaded with talented players and a motivating coach.

Reaction Score
Went to the game today. Felt a bit like a high end scrimmage during the first half. Gotta say, the Georgetown fanbase could not be more demoralized. It's just been a complete collapse to the abyss of the hoop's world. I think it's been a genuine shock to them. They barely showed up. A few in person thoughts

1. Newton was banged up but i actually loved his game today. He should never force it. He can get into the lane and throw up those semi-wild shots whenever he wants. He had 9 dimes today and just 3 shots. But i was very pleased.
2. Alex's communication on defense is underappreciated. He's basically a maestro out there directing all guys. They also obviously practiced on bounds plays from their opponents baseline because they had that corner three covered every time (after giving them up to Butler).
3. Clingan just changes everything. Nothing more to say.
4. Dan Hurley is really psychotic. The time out with 6.5 mins left in the 2nd half, up 25 was wild. He was captured in the huddle yelling at them. I don't know if folks saw that for about 10 seconds prior he was about 10 feet away from the huddle glaring in their direction. It was crazy. I love him.

But, honestly, there isn't much to take from this game because Georgetown is just in a really sad state.
He had every reason to be yelling at them at that point.

Reaction Score
Clingan practiced a ton of FTs during warm-ups, and made more than his usual %. In game, he made his 1st 2 and it was downhill from there.

Reaction Score
In the context of Providence, Ed Cooley was a great coach. PC had 7 tournament appearances in the 30 years before he got there. He brought them to 7 tournament appearances in his 12 years there (could have been 8 in 2020) including their S16 as the hometown hero

But he left for an out of town higher profile job (with high profile pay), so now the expectations will be higher. If he replicates his PC success at GTown, it will be considered a failure. That's just the difference between the Georgetown brand and the Providence brand

He'll figure it out at Georgetown with some time, but it's really fun to beat down on them in the meantime

Reaction Score
I love when they showed the stat that UConn leads the all-time series by 1 game (now 2). They should've compared the first 10 or 20 years to the last 20 years. The picture is a little different. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom