Geno's use of Subs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno's use of Subs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
All they have to do is play to their talents and accept the coaching. It's not rocket science.

Once again, Doggydaddy is proven wrong......

geno_rocket_science.jpg

Reaction Score
I would have liked to have seen more of Banks. (Cue up the "she has to earn it in practice" responses.)

She's lightning quick with the ball, going to the basket. She's a good defender. I know her shot looked bad but she was always on a short leash. Why not give her meaningful minutes throughout the season and allow her to settle in and develop?

sometimes it makes me wonder about Geno and his recuriting why he recurits some players and then holds them back because they don't give there all in practice.
take Buck by now she has been told or shown that she is just a defensive player and after a while, years, you start to believe it..
Ilike Geno as a coach especially for his defensive teams which runs you into the ground and you finally say uncle..this gets his offensive team going its not him drawing up plays, because her is just average

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What? This isn't high school ball?

But I disagree. I think that Geno knows that the team that was fielded this year will not improve enough to be able to beat Baylor. If this influx of new talent cannot step it up quickly UCONN will not beat Baylor.
You seem to neglect the point that UCONN had Baylor on the ropes AT Baylor last year and lost by 5. Mixing in the new agent under the conditions I suggested can be more than adequate. We match up with Baylor much more than ND did.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You seem to neglect the point that UCONN had Baylor on the ropes AT Baylor last year and lost by 5. Mixing in the new agent under the conditions I suggested can be more than adequate. We match up with Baylor much more than ND did.

IMO, that game shouldn't have been that close. Baylor had never beaten UCONN and that was still in their heads. Had Baylor played UCONN in the championship game instead of ND I think that the margin of victory would have been about the same. The Baylor team that played in the NCAA tourney would have dusted the December Baylor's butts. Baylor also beat TAMU by 8 in February and then dropped them by 23 in the next meeting.

BTW, Texas Tech also played Baylor within 5 points, but that certainly didn't make them a better team. Baylor only beat Tennessee by 9 early in the season and absolutely laid the wood to them in the regional championship.

But I agree that with the influx of new talent that UCONN will match up very well next season. I will absolutely NOT be surprised if UCONN beats Baylor in February.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agreed, starting Doty and Faris, didn't limit KML' s minutes. She got lots of minutes, especially for a freshman. She avg about 28 per game. Moore avg about 29 per game as a freshman.

If you are good enough, you'll get minutes whether you start or not.

I think that the way that you start the game and ESPECIALLY the second half is vital, even more so for the second half. I believe the first 5 minutes of the second half to be the incredibly important in setting the tone for the remainder of the game and that your best players should be on the court for the start of the second half.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
IMO, that game shouldn't have been that close. Baylor had never beaten UCONN and that was still in their heads. Had Baylor played UCONN in the championship game instead of ND I think that the margin of victory would have been about the same. The Baylor team that played in the NCAA tourney would have dusted the December Baylor's butts. Baylor also beat TAMU by 8 in February and then dropped them by 23 in the next meeting.

BTW, Texas Tech also played Baylor within 5 points, but that certainly didn't make them a better team. Baylor only beat Tennessee by 9 early in the season and absolutely laid the wood to them in the regional championship.

But I agree that with the influx of new talent that UCONN will match up very well next season. I will absolutely NOT be surprised if UCONN beats Baylor in February.

Believe what you want that isn't how the game was played and beating a team once at home doesn't get them out of your head.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Believe what you want that isn't how the game was played and beating a team once at home doesn't get them out of your head.

That's what makes this so fun...that we all get to believe what we want. And then next year someone will be saying "uh oh."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's what makes this so fun...that we all get to believe what we want. And then next year someone will be saying "uh oh."
Yeah, especially, when we don't need to believe in Baylor at all.

Reaction Score
sometimes it makes me wonder about Geno and his recuriting why he recurits some players and then holds them back because they don't give there all in practice.
take Buck by now she has been told or shown that she is just a defensive player and after a while, years, you start to believe it..
Ilike Geno as a coach especially for his defensive teams which runs you into the ground and you finally say uncle..this gets his offensive team going its not him drawing up plays, because her is just average

Do you honestly believe that the coach is holding Buck back because of her practice habits ? Could it be that She is not of a talent level
that allows him to play her in critical situations ?You cannot have 12 all-americans on a team

Reaction Score
What? This isn't high school ball?

But I disagree. I think that Geno knows that the team that was fielded this year will not improve enough to be able to beat Baylor. If this influx of new talent cannot step it up quickly UCONN will not beat Baylor.

My perceptions (whether reasonable or not...) tell me that:
  • As you state, that the players that carry over from this years UCONN team to next years team will not improve enough to knock off a very talented Baylor team in the NCAA tourney (Baylor, as demonstrated, is pretty darn good right now and those players will improve, and the team will add commits)
  • Again as you state, the imperative for UCONN winning a NC in 2013 resides with our very substantial commits that join the team this summer and bring unique talents that can match up against Baylor - quickness, height, intensity.
  • Those commits, whether based on their individual talents or practice diligence, but equally likely a different development approach than used for Kiah/BB, need to all move up the learning curve more rapidly than KML/Kiah/BB did this year IF UCONN is to prevail over Baylor in the NCAA tourney.
  • The above logic seems like a "duh" statement to me (my apologies), but how the heck Geno and crew accomplishes those needs will unfold this coming fall.
  • My guess, and it's only a guess since like all BYers I am standing WAY outside the coaching circle, is that he will have to give our 3 new players more game minutes than Kiah/BB got this season AND those minutes will have to be meaningful teaching minutes.
  • Your term "Quickly" is kind of a relative term, but for me it has to translate into sustained development in games starting right at the beginning of the season - meaning (1) minutes (15-20?), (2) no short leash, or prolonged pine time to think things over, or loyalty to seniors over-riding this imperative to develop the 3.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens - gosh, and it's only early April...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Like the national political scene, if we rehash this subject until next November, its going to get very tiresome.

Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe that the coach is holding Buck back because of her practice habits ? Could it be that She is not of a talent level
that allows him to play her in critical situations ?You cannot have 12 all-americans on a team

i see your point and i do agree with part of it,heather does not have the talent of other players.you will never know what she really has unless you let her play more and give her some confindence..let her start some times ,is it really important who starts,but really who finishes..
as far as the prac tices go i have seen Geno bench a startring player a whole game because she had a rotten practice. you are right about the all americans.to Geno practices are the game its self

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom