Geno's use of Subs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno's use of Subs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
So what happened to Heather Buck?
I went back to the thread from the UConn v Baylor game in December and Heather played 14 minutes and played great defense. The Boneyarders were applauding her effort.
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/game-thread-baylor.9338/

So what what happened after that game that she got splinters most of the rest of the year? I am sure she could have been used somewhere down the line.

I do know she injured/broke her hand in the Baylor game...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Geno has stated that bringing in Heather wouldn't help much, as she doesn't bring much offensively and defense wasn't the problem. Can you imagine a team out there with Heather, Doty and Faris? They might as well just stick all five players on KML and Bria, and I say that with lots of love for those three.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Or questioning whether the best coach in wcbb knows what the hell he is doing.
It is not contradictory to say that Geno is the best Women's Basketball Coach, but Geno is not perfect. Even Geno would admit that. Why can't you?

Geno second guesses himself, why can't we? ( The fact that we have very limited knowledge of inside information is a given.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We can always second guess but the likelihood of anyone here out thinking Geno is very small and more attributable to blind pigs and acorns than any reliable insights. It is never a bad thing to be reminded of the futulity of ones actions or possibility of finding that acorn.

Reaction Score
The problem as Doggy has addressed is that we are like the prisoners of Plato's Allegory of the Cave...
I ask you now, my fellow Boneyarders - is there another wcbb message board, including those of Duke and Stanford, where you could find a post starting off with the above quotation, even allowing another handle for "Doggy?"

This is one high-class message board!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
How he integrates these youngster into the rotation is a matter that will enable us to gain a bit more insight into his philosophy of coaching. And let us not forget that the BB equivalent of "Spring Training" will be much shortened for him, the result of his international responsibilities which may well be a significant distraction.

The coaches are limited in what they can do with players during the summer and CD and the other assts should be able to fill in with drills and individual workouts. UConn players often miss time on campus in the summer due to USA Basketball commitments (e.g., Dolson and Bria w/ U19 team last July). The Olympics will be over by mid-August and first official practice for the team will be 2 months later. I don't see it as a significant distraction.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How can UCONN players be tired with such exceptional conditioning, the likes of which Griner does not have access to? Shouldn't they be able to play 40 minutes and be able to go all out the entire game? ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How can UCONN players be tired with such exceptional conditioning, the likes of which Griner does not have access to? Shouldn't they be able to play 40 minutes and be able to go all out the entire game? ;)
They aren't.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Actually, when the schollys were one year, coaches could "cut" a player -- hasn't that rule been changed?

UConn hasn't quite gotten to the "Kentucky win and go to the NBA status" but how about you total the number of players that have ever played at UConn since, say, 1995 and then compare it to the number of players that have made it to (and stuck around) the WNBA.

It's goofy to think that, just like in every other sport, there won't be bench players who are essential team members but may not have their "on court time" in front of fans. They're part of an extraordinary learning experience and it's obvious that they apply those lessons to their LIFE, not just their basketball career.

We should have been so lucky.

Reaction Score
I would have liked to have seen more of Banks. (Cue up the "she has to earn it in practice" responses.)

She's lightning quick with the ball, going to the basket. She's a good defender. I know her shot looked bad but she was always on a short leash. Why not give her meaningful minutes throughout the season and allow her to settle in and develop?

Reaction Score
Having 8 is a luxury, and 9 or more is really too much in a competitive 40 minute game if you want any cohesion on the court.
The answer to the cohesion issue is to have 10 great players, not just 6 or 7. Then Geno could sub out the whole team, sort of like hockey lines. Two teams of 5 would practice as a unit and be very cohesive. Each 5 would play a half. Fatigue would not be a problem. All the players would be guranteed minutes, thus we would be able to attract more top notch players. Opponents wouldn't be able to devise strategy at the half, not knowing what to expect. And best of all, we'd be able to argue whether Uconn A or Uconn B is the better team!

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Ask THIS guy about using subs
bless-admiral-wilhelm-canaris.jpg

Ach! Das mein grossfader's unterzee booten Kaptain. He uppened ze peepintuben und fired zwei schwimmenloudenboomins.

Reaction Score
I ask you now, my fellow Boneyarders - is there another wcbb message board, including those of Duke and Stanford, where you could find a post starting off with the above quotation, even allowing another handle for "Doggy?"

This is one high-class message board!

"Plato's Allegory of the Cave" - was that the VIP room at Plato's Retreat in th 70's?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is my prediction (based on current information) of the distribution of minutes by position in 2012-13. Note that I'm NOT mentioning who starts.

Center: Dolson 25; Stokes 15
PF: Stewart 20; Tuck 15; Stokes 5
Wing: Lewis 30; Faris 10
SG: Hartley 30; Doty 10
PG: Faris 20; Jefferson 15; Doty 5

This leads to the following distribution of minutes by player:

Stef 25
Kiah 20
Breanna 20
Morgan 15
KML 30
Kelly 30
Bria 30
Moriah (aka "The Wind") 15
Caroline 15

... and it implies that Heather, Lauren, Brianna, and Michala will not see the floor in competitive games, which will be a small percentage of the schedule. Obviously it represents a 9-person rotation.

Needless to say, we will all (but particularly the coaching staff) have more information by November 15 than we do now. Information about the freshmen's work habits and quick comprehension of the offense and defense will be especially important in influencing decisions about players' minutes.

One last thing: I do not think that the coaches will be comfortable with having 3 freshmen on the floor at the same time while the game remains undecided -- too large a chance for costly mistakes. That probably implies that one freshman will start, precisely to avoid creating that situation at the first timeout. Most likely that means that Stewart will start.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Wow, I am amazed that so many 'Yarders think Breanna (or MoJef) will start. It's the same every year: we have a great recruiting class, including the second coming of Jen/Dee/Sue/Renee/Tina/Maya...and they WILL START! Last year everyone was singing the praises of KML. She would start. She certainly had her moments, but she also was lost, dazed and confused at times: in other words, a typical frosh. No one is anticipating the arrival of the new class more than me, but let's not put more pressure on the youngsters than is deserved. We will be really, really good next year. I can't wait!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I just wish the season's start were not so far away. I'm flopping around like a fish out of water...must...try....to....move...on...WNBA not too far away...Olympics....need...a... fix...BBALL NOW....ARGH.....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I still want to know about Geno's use of subs. Personally, as a Philly guy I would have thought he leaned to hoagies. I know he really loves grinders and spent the whole season looking for a hero and a consistent bomber. One thing for sure he ain't no po' boy or poor boy, he is way too cosmo today. Whether he charters travel for the team a blimpie or zeppelin or simply torpedoes the whole thing, one thing is sure, he will always have an Italian near by. I'm just saying there are a lot of choices when it comes to subs.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
"Plato's Allegory of the Cave" - was that the VIP room at Plato's Retreat in th 70's?

Nah, that was the Bat Cave, just down the hall from the Bat' room..

Reaction Score
And sometimes the "the best coach in wcbb" will make a mistake.

As in the final minute in the ND FF game. (Not having Kiah in the game when all we needed was a defensive rebound.
Or in not calling a TO to set-up an end of game play.)

Peace,

John Fryer
John,
Do you really think , after re-watching that last score that Stokes would have been able to rebound that ball that fell in the hands of
the ND player? If it hits the rim more than it did it, it would have been rebounded by us. It wasn't to be. Coaches sometimes like to shift the blame away from a player that might have missed an assignment. Calling a TO also lets the defense set up.Why does someone have to wrong ?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that Jefferson will get a lot more than 15 minutes a game. If any player has a chance to start I think it will be she. I'm guessing Jefferson gets about 30 minutes in the Baylor game due to her speed.

If Geno wants to win a NC he will need to have Jefferson and Stewart ready to play MAJOR minutes during the tourney.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Mojef will not play near 30 per game as a freshman unless a injury occurs. Her limit will be 20-25. Stewart will play significant minutes against Baylor but again that may mean only 20-25 minutes. Both kids will need time to fit into the UConn defensive structure it is not something that comes quickly nor is the unique offense.It is not high school ball where simply being the most talented kid on the team gets you by. Both UConn offense and defense are extremely team structured.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mojef will not play near 30 per game as a freshman unless a injury occurs. Her limit will be 20-25. Stewart will play significant minutes against Baylor but again that may mean only 20-25 minutes. Both kids will need time to fit into the UConn defensive structure it is not something that comes quickly nor is the unique offense.It is not high school ball where simply being the most talented kid on the team gets you by. Both UConn offense and defense are extremely team structured.

What? This isn't high school ball?

But I disagree. I think that Geno knows that the team that was fielded this year will not improve enough to be able to beat Baylor. If this influx of new talent cannot step it up quickly UCONN will not beat Baylor.

Reaction Score

But I disagree. I think that Geno knows that the team that was fielded this year will not improve enough to be able to beat Baylor. If this influx of new talent cannot step it up quickly UCONN will not beat Baylor.
how's this for a prediction, Baylor will lose at least 2 games next year. Taking bets

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Not sure what you mean. It's NOT the same team as last year.

I know they lost the lead, but they WERE up 11 in the 2nd half AT Baylor. And the DO bring in the best recruiting class anyone has had in years. Step it up quickly? All they have to do is play to their talents and accept the coaching. It's not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom