Geno's trip to Bakersfield | The Boneyard

Geno's trip to Bakersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
wow that's pretty cool. Geno is huge wherever he goes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don Corleone will make Erica an offer she can't refuse.

images

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Aren't we in a no contact period?

Reaction Score
Aren't we in a no contact period?
Yes, until March 1st when a direct offer could be made. What are the rules for a player contacting a school during the no contact period?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, until March 1st when a direct offer could be made. What are the rules for a player contacting a school during the no contact period?
A recruit or her family members can contact college coaches any time they want. The restrictions are on coaches calling recruits.

Incidentally, if Geno wants to offer a scholly during a no contact period, he could do so through a high school or AAU coach. There are no rules governing contact with recruits' coaches.

Reaction Score
A recruit or her family members can contact college coaches any time they want. The restrictions are on coaches calling recruits.

Incidentally, if Geno wants to offer a scholly during a no contact period, he could do so through a high school or AAU coach. There are no rules governing contact with recruits' coaches.
What a joke these Byzantine NCAA rules are!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a joke these Byzantine NCAA rules are!
I often think they are silly, but then I think about a top rated player and her family getting phone calls from 100 coaches and their assistants every week from late sophmore year until they finally make up their mind - worse than all the telemarketers!!!
When you get to visiting recruits - the colleges with the biggest recruiting budgets would have a huge advantage (they already do) if they could send someone out every few weeks for a chat.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I often think they are silly, but then I think about a top rated player and her family getting phone calls from 100 coaches and their assistants every week from late sophmore year until they finally make up their mind - worse than all the telemarketers!!!
When you get to visiting recruits - the colleges with the biggest recruiting budgets would have a huge advantage (they already do) if they could send someone out every few weeks for a chat.

Exactly right.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
does Erica McCall father coach a D1 school?
Looks like they just recently, last couple of years moved from Div II to Div I. They've played Maryland and Stanford this year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This strikes me as highly unusual. In recent years, we have occasionally heard about a visit by Geno (or one of his assistants) after it had take place. Most often one of the beat writers report that he or an associate are "on a recruiting trip" and that leaves it up to us to speculate (often wildly) who he/they are scouting.

Geno does everything for a reason. I have to wonder if his highly effective use of the "let it be known" PR technique is either a way to let everybocy know that UConn is really in hot pursuit of Ms. McCall or a not too subtle signal to Ms. Reimer to make up her mind.

In a related matter, the very high level of publicity about the recruitment of Saniya Chong seems to me that the message is something like "We came late to the dance but we really really really (in Genospeak, nothing matters unless he drops at least one "really") want this young lady to come to UConn."

This is all pure speculation on my part, but I just couldn't resist expressing it. Let's see how it plays out.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This strikes me as highly unusual. In recent years, we have occasionally heard about a visit by Geno (or one of his assistants) after it had take place. Most often one of the beat writers report that he or an associate are "on a recruiting trip" and that leaves it up to us to speculate (often wildly) who he/they are scouting.

Geno does everything for a reason. I have to wonder if his highly effective use of the "let it be known" PR technique is either a way to let everybocy know that UConn is really in hot pursuit of Ms. McCall or a not too subtle signal to Ms. Reimer to make up her mind.

In a related matter, the very high level of publicity about the recruitment of Saniya Chong seems to me that the message is something like "We came late to the dance but we really really really (in Genospeak, nothing matters unless he drops at least one "really") want this young lady to come to UConn."

This is all pure speculation on my part, but I just couldn't resist expressing it. Let's see how it plays out.

The publicity about the trip to CA to watch McCall was started by a local reporter in Bakersfield who covers high school sports. I assume he learned it from McCall's high school coach who has a lot of reasons to let the local community know that the best coach in WCBB is coming to watch one of his players. I'm sure that's how it ended up on the local TV news in Bakersfield. The blog in the Bakersfield paper was posted on the Boneyard from which it was picked up by the UConn beat writers. All this is to say that the news about the trip to CA was not started by Geno or his staff, but I'm sure he doesn't object.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The publicity about the trip to CA to watch McCall was started by a local reporter in Bakersfield who covers high school sports. I assume he learned it from McCall's high school coach who has a lot of reasons to let the local community know that the best coach in WCBB is coming to watch one of his players. I'm sure that's how it ended up on the local TV news in Bakersfield. The blog in the Bakersfield paper was posted on the Boneyard from which it was picked up by the UConn beat writers. All this is to say that the news about the trip to CA was not started by Geno or his staff, but I'm sure he doesn't object.
He did, however, announce in the Geno Show last week that he was headed out there directly after the OU game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
He did, however, announce in the Geno Show last week that he was headed out there directly after the OU game.

This is true. I forgot about his comment on the show. So Kibitzer could be on to something...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think at least one of the Ossining and Bakersfield duo becomes a Husky, and perhaps soon.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think at least one of the Ossining and Bakersfield duo becomes a Husky, and perhaps soon.
Coast to coast, baby, that's the impact of UConn Husky basketball.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
This is true. I forgot about his comment on the show. So Kibitzer could be on to something...

Yeah, could be. But I've noticed a BY tendency to see everything Geno does as a stroke of mastermind genius. That is the kind of bonus folks with a reputation for brilliance get, even when they just stumble into good fortune. Then, of course, their reputation as a genius is enhanced ... kind of like the rich getting richer.

I think you're prior post is far more on target.

I remember a discussion about a movie, which involved trains, and these intellectual elites had noticed that whenever a train was in a scene, it passed in the night. This, they were convinced, had great symbolism, and they were able to concoct what it was.

Maybe, but I took note that this was a real low-budget indie flick, and that it was a lot more feasible to push a floodlight by in the dark than to arrange for a real train to be filmed.

People see what they want to see.

Reaction Score
Chong yes, based on indications she really wants to come to Uconn. McCall is being recruited by lots of schools. I have seen no information concerning her favorites and how strongly Uconn is in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom