Geno's Success in Recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Success in Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TonyC wrote, "For me and for many of you who read posts cant understand why a kid who is a top recruit goes elsewhere. We feel that way because we know how great of an opportunity it is to play for Geno and we know that because we've been following UConn for so long...unfortunately most kids havent and they rely on the thoughts and opinions of others to influence their decisions."

I can understand it.

These young people have a certain set of values. For Jones, it is obvious: she lives in the Bay Area, she has known Tara for years, and she is able to get into Stanford. For a fact, UConn is not Stanford. And I know. I am not knocking UConn's academics. I mean, I got my Ph.D. there, and the program I was in was excellent. Nonetheless, it certainly did not have some things the very, very top schools in my field had.

Geno said that with Jones, it was a long shot.

For Boston, we will never know. I sincerely hope she made the right decision for her.

For Charlie Collier, it was obvious: given her family situation, she reasonably wanted to be near home.

Now, I do believe Britney Griner would have chosen differently if she had to do it again. She did say after the 2016 Olympics that Geno got the best out of her, more than any coach (or words to that effect).

Recruiting really is a numbers game in a way, and Geno has repeatedly said that the pool of young players he will consider is shrinking.

We shall see what next year's recruiting is like.

I could not care less whether we go undefeated this year. :rolleyes: I just want to win the last game we play. :cool:

Thoughts?

I'm addressing my negative comment first. You received your PHD at Uconn so you know that dollar for dollar you got a very good education. I'm fairly certain that education worked well for you. Education doesn't stop with your PHD or the day you departed UConn. The manner in which you progressed is as in all things up to the individual. I'm stating the obvious all of which you knew. Uconn started as an Ag school and look at it now. If one wants a Duke education or Stanford spend the money if your parent or you can afford that. As for me, Uncle and Mom funded me. I was thrilled when I attended Uconn and now knowing the thousands of doors that education opened for me. Stanford or Duke was never in my view but Uconn was. If a student wants Stanford or Duke and can afford it --go there. Uconn isn't for everyone.
Basketball---I agree with nearly all you state about recruiting and Geno. As in academics, Uconn in basketball isn't for everyone nor will everyone be accepted.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
You seem to post this every year.

Reaction Score
Yet you continue to dwell on Ms Boston’s decision to go elsewhere. I guess we all have our worries Head bang

If it were raining heavily or snowing the subject could be tiddlywinks. Since Philly wasn't recruited by Uconn all we can talk about is Boston. Have you visited the harbor? And you are right the Hospital St Elsewhere was located there.

The fear is not for all, only the WCBB players and is diluted with the knowledge of how transfers have worked their way through USC.

Reaction Score
So now we’re worrying about 2 years out? I’m surprised you didn’t mention that in 3 years we’re down to 2 and the year after that we’re at 0...:eek:
Interesting thought; Uconn progressively gets fewer and fewer players and finally there are none. SO, Geno, CD, Shea, Jazmine and a practice player will suit up--

Reaction Score
if my calculations are correct it's nine including Camara and we simply don't know if she will continue to play next season and then five the following year...not going to be easy to find and actually sign so many players that fit the UConn mold
Over the more recent 10 years or so Geno has modified his demands, beliefs. More than a short while ago he lamented about the current type of players available for recruiting.
He loosened the reins a bit, or maybe more than a bit. That loosening is hard for him. His tough love program had produced a few NC's. I don't have specific dates on the change but I think Tuck, Moriah, Stew saw a looser Geno than Sue, Sveta, etc.

Reaction Score
So when we have a recruiting year when we get only one recruit like this year dont worry we will be fine. The next two recruiting years there are some really really good kids

I think you were rushed - should be another “really”:rolleyes:

Personally, I never "worry" about the kind and number of recruits in any year--that's why Geno, CD, Shea, Jazmine get the big buck. I do moan and groan and comment on it heavily, but I leave the worrying to those who can actually recruit players.

Reaction Score
Personally, I never "worry" about the kind and number of recruits in any year--that's why Geno, CD, Shea, Jazmine get the big buck. I do moan and groan and comment on it heavily, but I leave the worrying to those who can actually recruit players.

You'd be surprised how many of the other big team forums communicate with the recruits directly via twitter..............they'd like to think that they can impact a recruit although I think they are rather deluded..........

Reaction Score
I'm addressing my negative comment first. You received your PHD at Uconn so you know that dollar for dollar you got a very good education. I'm fairly certain that education worked well for you. Education doesn't stop with your PHD or the day you departed UConn. The manner in which you progressed is as in all things up to the individual. I'm stating the obvious all of which you knew. Uconn started as an Ag school and look at it now. If one wants a Duke education or Stanford spend the money if your parent or you can afford that. As for me, Uncle and Mom funded me. I was thrilled when I attended Uconn and now knowing the thousands of doors that education opened for me. Stanford or Duke was never in my view but Uconn was. If a student wants Stanford or Duke and can afford it --go there. Uconn isn't for everyone.
Basketball---I agree with nearly all you state about recruiting and Geno. As in academics, Uconn in basketball isn't for everyone nor will everyone be accepted.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Money was not an issue for me, nor is it, I think, for these recruits.

I did not have to pay for grad school, as I was a grad assistant. That would have been true at Stanford or Duke, even if I could have been admitted there for grad school; similar to UConn, I would have been a grad assistant.

Likewise, for these recruits, whether they choose UConn, Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, et al., they get the same type of scholarship -- tuition, fees, etc. Now, we can discuss that it is more expensive to go to a private school than to a public school, and, therefore, the scholarship at a private school is worth more. But I doubt that the recruits even think about this.

Great that your family could fund you. And yes indeed, UConn has come a long, long way from its Ag School roots. Nonetheless, the apple orchards and the ice cream bar (made from UConn cow's milk) was something I still remember fondly. :)

Lastly, despite a few degrees from schools, most of what I know I learned outside of school, except the school of hard knocks. :rolleyes: But I am still here, and rooting hard for us to, as I say, "win the last game we play this year." That is all I want. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Over the more recent 10 years or so Geno has modified his demands, beliefs. More than a short while ago he lamented about the current type of players available for recruiting.
He loosened the reins a bit, or maybe more than a bit. That loosening is hard for him. His tough love program had produced a few NC's. I don't have specific dates on the change but I think Tuck, Moriah, Stew saw a looser Geno than Sue, Sveta, etc.

This is an interesting post.

Can you give an example of Geno's actions/statements that lead you to this?

I am curious about your thoughts here.

Thank you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Thank you.
I’ll jump in here and give you an example. Two seasons ago, a young and inexperienced UConn team faced mighty Baylor in Storrs. Freshman Crystal Dangerfield playing in her 2nd college game ever came off the bench to light up Baylor, leading the Huskies to victory.

After the game Geno walked up to Crystal after she had been interviewed by one of the game announcers. He smiled and gave Crystal a huge bear hug. Most longtime UConn fans were shocked that Geno would openly display that kind of affection for a freshman, who would typically spend much of their 1st season in Geno’s doghouse.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Interesting thought; Uconn progressively gets fewer and fewer players and finally there are none. SO, Geno, CD, Shea, Jazmine and a practice player will suit up--

Last time I saw Jaz on the court, she was darned good.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For those who want to play for UConn its a different mind set. Kids that dont come here have other mind sets and we have discussed that on this board for years. But the kids that want to be developed and want to win NC's that what UConn has been built for. For those who want it its here. There are no shooting stars here there is only one NC team being built year after year and if you want to be part of it and Geno offers you consider it an honor because most likely you will never get another chance. Think about it how many games has UCOnn lost in the past few years.....I remember 2 at the buzzer in the FF and I also remember over 100 wins in the regular season. Hey UConn isnt for everybody but for those who want it and for those who UConn wants the rewards are unbelievable

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
You guys do realize that the last time UConn had a one player class it went a record 152 wins - 2 losses ? And let us not forget that it also acquired 3 NC's along the way.

Let us just hope that AG quickly develops into the player Geno think she will be, giving her 3 years to play along side CW & ONO, and 2 with MW and 1 with CD, not to mention those who are yet to walk the hollowed halls of Harry A. Gampel Pavilion.

So Fear not, she will have plenty of help in the next four years to attempt to repeat that history.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So now we’re worrying about 2 years out? I’m surprised you didn’t mention that in 3 years we’re down to 2 and the year after that we’re at 0...:eek:
Charlie's always has to worry about something.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Charlie's always has to worry about something.
So what you’re saying is that if Charlie didn’t have something to worry about he would be a nervous wreck. :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The starters practice against five men
I don't think they are allowed to scrimmage against the guys all the time...could be wrong but I kind of remember a story about that..
Not sure about limits at home, BUT, the men practice players are not allowed to travel with the team. There are stories about them paying their own way to watch the FF's over the years. So the biggest problem with less than 10 roster players is the practice on the road.

I suppose Lister can suit up for them if needed.

Even THIS year, when Camara is hurting they only have 9 players to practice with on the road.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So what you’re saying is that if Charlie didn’t have something to worry about he would be a nervous wreck. :confused:
Close but not quite. If Charlie doesn't have something to worry about, he'll create something. :cool:

And make sure everyone else knows how dire the circumstances are. :rolleyes:

He's our Anti-Tony. Creates balance I suppose. :confused:

Reaction Score
For those who want to play for UConn its a different mind set. Kids that dont come here have other mind sets and we have discussed that on this board for years. But the kids that want to be developed and want to win NC's that what UConn has been built for. For those who want it its here. There are no shooting stars here there is only one NC team being built year after year and if you want to be part of it and Geno offers you consider it an honor because most likely you will never get another chance. Think about it how many games has UCOnn lost in the past few years.....I remember 2 at the buzzer in the FF and I also remember over 100 wins in the regular season. Hey UConn isnt for everybody but for those who want it and for those who UConn wants the rewards are unbelievable

Reaction Score
No shooting stars here (i.e at UCWBB)? What should we call : Dt, Maya, Stewie, Cw, Moriah, Sveta, othrs? Each and everyone of those mentioned here came to Uconn with a high degree of talent and ability all hit the Uconn court floor running and scoring and winning big game and small. (true Stew and a 1/2 season hicup). I also disagree with mind set, unless you mean talent, ability, confidence. The big constant is/was Confidence and an almost insatiable NEED to win and win an NC. There were those of lesser talent and confidence and desire who met all you call a Uconn kid. Immediately Rene and Barbara Turner come to mind, I'm sure there are 40 more if given time to ponder on it.
TonyC this is not to say more good or better Uconn recruits met all of your characteristics--I'm just saying YES there were (and Is) Uconn Shooting Stars--those I mentioned were not ever considered anything but Shooting Stars. Ask most opponents they'd list those as Uconn STARS that shoot exceptionally well.
I truly believe that most kids, unless totally self centered, with talent and confidence would be a perfect Uconn player.

Reaction Score

Thank you.
The cranium is filled with molting matter, the once infallible memory has slipped more than one cog--But, somewhere in that 10 or 15-year time frame Geno was getting flack, much like today, and in an interview or more spoke about the changing attitude of potential recruits. It was becoming more about ME than TEAM. From what I believe I recall he "mellowed" a bit and wasn't as demanding as he was with the Sue group.
I don't buy into the never changing or absolutes with Geno there is enough data to prove other wise. I start with Charde. She was a frustration for Geno. He sat her because she didn't practice well and apparently with little energy. The team had little fire power and reluctantly he played Charde. Geno, above ALL things hates to lose. It had been stated factually Geno doesn't take transfers--you know how that is. Geno will never play U of Tenn--again, look and see. Good coaches may be rigid, great coaches adapt to the situation and Geno adapts Geno hates to lose..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I want to remind people about our rule against harmful speculation. See the rules tacked to the top of the board. You may have heard something or wonder about something or feel that something occurred - such as committing an NCAA violation - but you can't post that speculation on the Boneyard unless you have some kind of legitimate proof (news story - not a fan blog) to back it up. People who continue to violate this rule will be banned. I'm pretty tired of repeating this every single week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom