Geno's Dilemma | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Dilemma

Reaction Score
I think the UCLA game was by design. KLS sort of played possum as a decoy and didn't expend too much energy until she had to in order to win. That way she would have something left in the tank for today....

Reaction Score
Everyone knows Katie Lou is not 100% as her mobility is significantly reduced.
The real question is, as it stand, is Katie Lou currently helping or hurting the team playing injured?

Prior to being injured, other than being a reliable and constant offensive threat, Lou's rebounding and defense were key components to this UConn team success. If she is not able to contribute in those areas when on the court, because of her injury (as occurred in the UCLA game for majority of the game) Then I'm afraid, this might just be too taxing for this years team to overcome, especially as we progress further in the tournament, with the level of play of each opponent getting better and better.

So what can Geno do?
He could opt to go with Olivia as he was forced to do for the AAC tournament and hope the team chemistry remained in tack or improved, as Olivia can certainly strengthen both Defense and rebounding when she's on the court. Which would mean potentially bringing Katie Lou off the bench as needed, the problem with that is, If Katie Lou is not on the floor her body can stiffen up, so he's kinda force to leave her out there. This is why Megan Walker or CW are the player(s) he takes off to sub Olivia in..

Bottom line though, if KLS is unable to get open shots and knock them down or rebound the ball and play effective defense, this team is in serious trouble with her on the floor. We can survive that against a poor shooting team like UCLA, but against the remaining field, I don't think as much. We Can't give those teams that many extra positions and go on extended droughts and expect to come away with a win as our team would most likely be exhausted from having to play that much defense to stay in the game.

My question to you guys on the BY,
Is it better for us to have a stronger offense, or a stronger defense at this stage of the tournament?
This is a TEAM dilemma. KLS will likely play better since few teams hold as much as UCLA. Team issue is what does Geno do if there is a bad match up, sickness, etc? Without sounding harsh, rarely does he do anything-i.e. no subs. Hard to criticize Hall of Fame Coach but some rest or bench coaching seems straightforward.

Reaction Score
I don't see what the dilemma is. KLS will play as usual and she can be substituted for when necessary. It is not like when she is out during a game she can't come back anymore. She is not playing during timeouts, in-between quarters and at the half, so why should her back no longer work after a substitution?

Reaction Score
He has to play KLS. There is no other choice. Whatever she provides is more than worth having her in the game. All the other successful coaches key their D on her because they know she is the most important element. However, that does not mean the results will be positive for UConn. Louisville just beat a better Pac 12 team by more pts. They will enter this game vs UConn with confidence for the 1st time because of their 1st win vs them and that will be difficult for UConn to overcome because of the condition of KLS. Maybe by some miracle KLS will get to at least 90% for this game. If that's the case she still will have to be a big part of the O no matter what Louisville tries to do against her. That is something the entire team would have to be on the same page for. This group has shown that that's not a given. All to often she has been ignored cutting and posting up. For a player who is as good from the line & as good a passer as she is that is unacceptable. So even if she is much better physically for this game there still will be hurdles for this group to overcome from within.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thought of pulling a senior for a freshman just makes no sense to me.
Depends on the particular senior and the particular freshman. In this case you aren't going to replace Lou with Liv, obviously. The challenge is how do you maximize the productivity/shortcomings of each given Lou's injury and Olivia's newfound confidence and productivity.

As an aside, boy has Lou been snake bit over the years. Her homecoming game, her senior game and her final college games. My heart goes out to her.

Reaction Score
But you read and post on the BY. Thus, you are a bb expert.

I clearly admit that I am no basketball expert. I clearly admit that I cannot read Geno's mind. I clearly admit that I do not second Geno because he is the General in charge and that it is his right. I post when I see people trying to read this guys mind and second guess what is good or bad for the team. And when I see a wackjob post. I am a viewer of UConn Women's basketball, because I graduated from this University in 1964 and it seems that from a sports perspective it provides pride. And, it is nice to see their pursuit of excellence. You must be the elitist expert that knows it all.

Reaction Score
Not only should ONO sub for KLS but I believe Mikalya Coombs needs get minutes if not for anything else but to spell starting five. I think MC and ONO can give us strong minutes on Defensive of end and allow the girls to catch second breath for final stretch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1 more thought

2 negatives from last UCLA game that shouldn’t repeat here

1. Collier at the FT line

2. More TO’s than UCLA (15)
3 each from Lou, Phee, MW

Reaction Score
I clearly admit that I am no basketball expert. I clearly admit that I cannot read Geno's mind. I clearly admit that I do not second Geno because he is the General in charge and that it is his right. I post when I see people trying to read this guys mind and second guess what is good or bad for the team. And when I see a wackjob post. I am a viewer of UConn Women's basketball, because I graduated from this University in 1964 and it seems that from a sports perspective it provides pride. And, it is nice to see their pursuit of excellence. You must be the elitist expert that knows it all.

My post was sarcastic, and not directed towards you.

I particularly enjoy your posts as worthwhile.

I never attempt to "tangle" with any individual poster, unless they are a RU or BCU fan.

Last edited:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Yes, she can play like she did Friday. (maybe a couple less missed shots)
Hey- is that the golf course at Sugarloaf. I went there to hike the AT, but I didn't get to play it.
My best friend from college has a cabin at Belgrade Lakes. I've played there twice. You ever play there? I love Maine. Spent a winter in Kittery when I was 13. My sister went to U of Maine. Awesome.
My avatar was given by an administrator. Nan thought probably Temery posted it. I attempted a few times to post a shot from my dock and was unsuccessful. Yes, I play Sugarloaf every year at least once. I live on one of the Belgrade Lakes and have played at Belgrade Lakes many times. I grew up here and upon retirement, we came home. I spent most of my life in Ct.
Go Huskies, I love them and miss seeing their games in person ALMOST as much as I miss the Grandkids still in Ct.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My avatar was given by an administrator. Nan thought probably Temery posted it. I attempted a few times to post a shot from my dock and was unsuccessful. Yes, I play Sugarloaf every year at least once. I live on one of the Belgrade Lakes and have played at Belgrade Lakes many times. I grew up here and upon retirement, we came home. I spent most of my life in Ct.
Go Huskies, I love them and miss seeing their games in person ALMOST as much as I miss the Grandkids still in Ct.
I can change it if you want

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
What a ludicrous thread.
Nope. This was the perfect mojo thread. Really you want to replace your all American senior with a talented but unproven freshman. Well let's just show you the error of your ways...

Trust the mojo.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
,,,,, Which suits to bring to Tampa ?

No suits. UConn gear only. But do bring your rain gear. Its forecast to rain Friday thru Tuesday. Temps will be in the mid 80's.

Reaction Score
Yes ,this is Geno s dilemma . He will have to at some point pull Lou and go with Olivia if he wants a chance at winning today. Liv has a nice midrange shot. I feel bad for Lou but if he wants his best chance to win then he will need to go with Liv. Geno knows Lou is not much help as he stated in his press conference. My guess is he goes with Lou to start and if still more of the same then he pulls her for Liv early. We will have to wait and see...hopefully Liv does not get in quick foul trouble too

What did you and Bajan Best say?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Katie Lou had no dilemma. She was as cool as a Kellogg's corn flake, floating in a bowl taking movies. Talkin' to a raisin who occasionally plays L.A.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom