Geno - We Won't Win it All this Year | The Boneyard

Geno - We Won't Win it All this Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is not what Geno said.

He said, "I don't think we're going to win the national championship this year," and , "Now if the other guys screw up, which they are capable of doing, then we have a chance {to win national championship]."

Huge difference.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno spoke at a breakfast this morning and was asked questions about the upcoming season. Sounds like he answered honestly that the team will be talented but inexperienced. He said enough to instill some confidence, remove some pressure and at the same time provide motivation. Note what he said about next year and the year after. Link to John's blog is below.

"I don't think we're going to win the national champion this year," Auriemma said. "Now if the other guys screw it up, which they're capable of doing, we have a chance. ... I think we can be as good as anybody in the country but our inexperience might cost us."

Auriemma said there have been seasons where he felt confident his team could win a national title, regardless of the competition. But with Maya Moore gone and a young team returning, he believes the Huskies will need time to find themselves.

"It's one of those years where we're going to have to catch a couple of breaks, which is good," Auriemma said. "But next year and the year after, we won't lose a game."

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_womens_basketball/2011/09/geno-auriemma-was-really-rolli.html#more

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Yes, but read the tweets that follow:

Geno: "Now if the other guys screw up, which they are capable of doing, then we have a chance [to win the national championship]."

Geno: "We can be as good as anyone else, but our inexperience may cost us."

Geno: "But next year, and the year after that, we won't lose a game."

Geno at his best!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, but read the tweets that follow:

Geno: "Now if the other guys screw up, which they are capable of doing, then we have a chance [to win the national championship]."

Geno: "We can be as good as anyone else, but our inexperience may cost us."

Geno: "But next year, and the year after that, we won't lose a game."

Geno at his best!
sounds like a 78-0 prediction! go Geno!!!

Reaction Score
Geno spoke at a breakfast this morning and was asked questions about the upcoming season. Sounds like he answered honestly that the team will be talented but inexperienced. He said enough to instill some confidence in his team and also provide motivation. Note what he said about next year and the year after. Link to John's blog is below.

"I don't think we're going to win the national champion this year," Auriemma said. "Now if the other guys screw it up, which they're capable of doing, we have a chance. ... I think we can be as good as anybody in the country but our inexperience might cost us."

Auriemma said there have been seasons where he felt confident his team could win a national title, regardless of the competition. But with Maya Moore gone and a young team returning, he believes the Huskies will need time to find themselves.

"It's one of those years where we're going to have to catch a couple of breaks, which is good," Auriemma said. "[/quote]

OMG, losing Maya Moore matters? I'd never have realized that after reading the vast majority of posts on this board.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"It's one of those years where we're going to have to catch a couple of breaks, which is good," Auriemma said. "But next year and the year after, we won't lose a game."

Love that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't like when Geno predicts undefeated season in 2012/2013. Too many unknowns and injuries do happen.

Should be a strong team with Breanna, Morgan and Moriah added to the roster and as of right now only losing Tiff from current roster.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Clearly, losing Maya matters. I haven't read anyone who said it doesn't. I have read and said this team has the personnel to overcome that loss. I think Geno says the same thing, depending on what others do we have the chance to win it all. Something we did not manage last year. Only time will tell.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
OMG, losing Maya Moore matters? I'd never have realized that after reading the vast majority of posts on this board.
Vast majority? Bullcrap.

People are confident that this team will be terrific. And last years team was flawed because of the lack of depth.

No one said losing Moore doesn't matter. But with added experience for the returning players, Doty coming back and the terrific freshman class, the have a chance to be a better team.

Nothing wrong with optomism. Not sure why you feel the need to trash it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Don't like when Geno predicts undefeated season in 2012/2013. Too many unknowns and injuries do happen.

Should be a strong team with Breanna, Morgan and Moriah added to the roster and as of right now only losing Tiff from current roster.
No surprise. You seemed to be happy you think he predicted no NC for UConn this year. And actually bothered he predicted undefeated seasons the following two year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More from Geno on this year's team and the loss of Maya, and the new "guys":

"I watched us play a lot with four guards and one big guy. I think they have a certain . . . eagerness to play beyond Maya Moore. There's like this anxiousness, this is what the opportunity is that we've been given and we really, really want to take advantage of this. . . . And the young guys, there was a huge difference from the first day of practice to the last day in Europe. A huge difference in the way they played."

Reaction Score
Vast majority? Bullcrap.

People are confident that this team will be terrific. And last years team was flawed because of the lack of depth.

No one said losing Moore doesn't matter. But with added experience for the returning players, Doty coming back and the terrific freshman class, the have a chance to be a better team.

First of all, show me where I trashed anyone.
Second of all, gee, it's not like anyone who dares to expresses any concerns doesn't get trashed by some.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Notice that Geno uses the adjective "really" a lot. He doesn't seem to really mean something without at least one "really" to qualify it.

Some of you know that I have never completely bought into this 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 designation of positions on a basketball team. I noticed that Geno spoke about playing "four guards and a big guy" in Europe. Does that mean a lineup of a 1, three 2's, and one 5? If Kiah comes in (and Stef stays on the floor), does that make her a 2? 5? 5a? Somebody tell me.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I m glad to see Geno thinks half as big as me. He thinks 2 years Im thinking when next years class arrives we just might do it 4 years in a row depending on who we bring in after next years class. Still in all we will have next years class, next year and for 4 more years. That may be a better record then most of our elected politicans. There will be alot of go to players for the next 5 years. Its going to be un be leive a ble

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

A complete misrepresentation of the posts that have been made here. Everyone and I mean everyone has been careful to give respect to what is probably the best player to ever play at UConn...the inscrutable Maya Moore. For you to say the vast majority of posts on this board makes me wonder just exactly what posts you've been reading. Everyone here knows that there may never be another Maya Moore. She was the best in many categories...her overall contribution to the team will be almost impossible to duplicate. I think you should rethink your comment as it is insulting to many UConn posters here.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I was neither happy nor upset that Geno didn't think this years team would win a National Championship. I posted his comments because I thought most on this board would be interested in them. My Subject is based on how I interpreted his comments, but also included links that included the full text of his comments so others could read them. I think Geno said what he said about this years team to fire them up and make the players work harder to prove him wrong. If Kaleena is as good as advertised, Caroline is able to play up to her potential and Kiah and Brianna can provide 10-12 minutes of effective play, this team could go far and win it all. This team should have more depth even with the loss of a superstar in Maya. Because of their experience Baylor, ND & Tenn should be the favorites, closely followed by Stanford, Duke and UConn. If Kelsey Bone is able to play up to her hype coming out of HS and A&M's freshmen guards contribute significant minutes, who knows they might surprise people.

IMHO it wasn't necessary to make any comments about 2012/2013 season as fans and experts alike don't care about future seasons. They only care about this years season and what it will take to get to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
That is not what Geno said.

He said, "I don't think we're going to win the national championship this year," and , "Now if the other guys screw up, which they are capable of doing, then we have a chance {to win national championship]."

Huge difference.

Geno will say anything he thinks will motivate the kids.
These remarks are for the team, not reporters, not us.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Notice that Geno uses the adjective "really" a lot. He doesn't seem to really mean something without at least one "really" to qualify it.

Some of you know that I have never completely bought into this 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 designation of positions on a basketball team. I noticed that Geno spoke about playing "four guards and a big guy" in Europe. Does that mean a lineup of a 1, three 2's, and one 5? If Kiah comes in (and Stef stays on the floor), does that make her a 2? 5? 5a? Somebody tell me.
i'm not so sure it's as much a specific designation as it is easy for fans to comprehend.

it's shorter to say "who plays the 3 this year"? then it is to say "what 5 players will Geno have on the floor at any given time and how will they play", even tho the 2nd question is more accurate...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More from Geno in the updated Rivals piece linked above:

He said KML may be the best pure shooter ever to play at UConn.

The 3 freshmen will play significant minutes. He's hoping Kiah and Heather are solid back ups to Stef at center.

Doty may be the key to the upcoming season.

“I think we’ve got some pretty good kids that have been standing around for the last couple of years watching Maya play and now they’re going to get a chance to play and they’re going to get a chance to show everybody, `This is what I do,” he added.

“If we had Caroline on the floor last year, I think things might have been a little bit different at the Final Four,” he said.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
First of all, show me where I trashed anyone.
Second of all, gee, it's not like anyone who dares to expresses any concerns doesn't get trashed by some.
"OMG, losing Maya Moore matters? I'd never have realized that after reading the vast majority of posts on this board"

Trashing to me. Maybe you don't see it that way, but I do. You insulted many of the fine posters here.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Why not a 4? She could very well start at that position come tournament time, alongside Stef. JMO.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
+1
Vast majority? Bullcrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom