Geno - We Won't Win it All this Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno - We Won't Win it All this Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I've got another big takeaway from this: world-renowned coach and basketball icon still makes time to be the speaker for the East Hartford Chamber of Commerce Breakfast. I'm not belittling East Hartford CoC. I am sure they are a fine organization that helps the community and businesses. But it would be easy for a coach who spends his time globetrotting for the US National team, running a premier collegiate basketball program, helping charities and lending his name to business ventures to say he didn't have time for a small organization like that. In fact, he probably doesn't. But he makes time for community organizations and to interact with the average Joe. You gotta love the guy!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More from Geno in the updated Rivals piece linked above:

He said KML may be the best pure shooter ever to play at UConn.

The 3 freshmen will play significant minutes. He's hoping Kiah and Heather are solid back ups to Stef at center.

Doty may be the key to the upcoming season.

“I think we’ve got some pretty good kids that have been standing around for the last couple of years watching Maya play and now they’re going to get a chance to play and they’re going to get a chance to show everybody, `This is what I do,” he added.

If we had Caroline on the floor last year, I think things might have been a little bit different at the Final Four,” he said.

As Geno notes, we have some really good players. Last year, they were overshadowed by a truly iconic player and deferred to her. This year, they get to prove what they can do. We'll see if it is enough for an 8th title.

Geno previously said that they would have been undefeated last year if Caroline had been healthy.

About a year ago, Geno was talking about the season and the streak and said he would retire if the streak got to some number. He said the team would not go undefeated and may have said that they would not win the championship. How did Maya take that? Exactly as one would think--"BS, it is not happening on my watch." Someome go tell Tiffany, Kelly, Bria, Stef, and Kaleena that they are not going to win this year. They will be totally pissed and use it as motivation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno on playing without Maya:

"I watched us play a lot with four guards and one big guy," Auriemma said. "There's an eagerness to play beyond Maya Moore. There's like this anxiousness, this is what the opportunity is that we've been given and we really, really want to take advantage of this. .... And the young guys, there was a huge difference from the first day of practice to the last day in Europe. A huge difference in the way they played."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno will say anything he thinks will motivate the kids.
These remarks are for the team, not reporters, not us.
My response was to the Title given by the OP which was not at all what Geno said. I agree with your observations 100%. Geno's comments were largely for the team to digest.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I just heard on 960 talk radio news Geno's comments... I found it interesting that the radio station picked up Geno's comments.

Reaction Score
personally i think geno said all of those comments cause he wants to boost up his players

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
personally i think geno said all of those comments cause he wants to boost up his players

I think its a part of recruiting scheme...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its called motivation and taking the pressure off the team. Genos comments are for the team to focus on improving not to win a NC. If they improve and play like Geno wants them to then the NC will be a result of their work. If not they have nothing to worry about because next season and there after they may not lose a game.

Reaction Score
Its called motivation and taking the pressure off the team. Genos comments are for the team to focus on improving not to win a NC. If they improve and play like Geno wants them to then the NC will be a result of their work. If not they have nothing to worry about because next season and there after they may not lose a game.

I agree, Geno is famous for Motivating, and taking the pressure off his team. One thing is certain, you can bet that UCONN will be in the hunt for National Championship #8.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He may be easing the pressure on the team this season, but he's definitely setting the bar high for 2013 and 2014. And he should. He'll have an embarrassment of talent at his disposal, and he's still recruiting to fill the rosters for those seasons.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
He said what he said because it's how he feels.

“It’s one of those years where we’re going to have to catch a couple of breaks, which is good,” Auriemma said. “But next year and the year after,” he deadpanned, “we won’t lose a game.”

I think we can all pretty much agree that Geno says what he wants to say at any given moment, but without being there to hear to how he delivered this line--and Geno is all about delivery--it's hard to know where this one falls on the GenO-Meter. Note, for example, the writer's word choice: 'deadpanned'.

I love that he said it but am much less certain that he actually believes it. YMMV. (This is not to say that we won't have an almost ridiculously talented line-up in coming years; we most definitely will.)

Reaction Score
“It’s one of those years where we’re going to have to catch a couple of breaks, which is good,” Auriemma said. “But next year and the year after,” he deadpanned, “we won’t lose a game.”

I think we can all pretty much agree that Geno says what he wants to say at any given moment, but without being there to hear to how he delivered this line--and Geno is all about delivery--it's hard to know where this one falls on the GenO-Meter. Note, for example, the writer's word choice: 'deadpanned'.

I love that he said it but am much less certain that he actually believes it. YMMV.

I assumed DD was talking about the first part primarily. I thought the first part was a realistic assessment of this year's team. And then Geno never lets an honest assessment just sit there so he tweaked the audience with a sarcastic line about going undefeated the next two seasons as he usually does.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I assumed DD was talking about the first part primarily. I thought the first part was a realistic assessment of this year's team. And then Geno never lets an honest assessment just sit there so he tweaked the audience with a sarcastic line about going undefeated the next two seasons as he usually does.
You are correct. I was talking about his feelings about THIS season.

Thanks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We will make the FF and don't be surprised if we win it all. Geno loves to play it on the down low. Removes the pressure on young kids and challenges them all at the same time.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
We are going to the FF... We may lose a few games this season...but it will be nothing more than growing pains. I will not call the Notre Dame match-up as I think that is going to be one hell of a game and Skylar Diggins is a player who knows how to win. Baylor on the other hand, while I believe they will be tough and I believe that winning down at Baylor may be a tough order. I believe that by the time we get to the NCAAs should we match-up against Baylor, Geno will have a game plan that will negate Griner's impact on the game. As far as TN goes...I think we have the players that will present a match-up nightmare for Pat and her staff. I think we win that game should we see them in March. The only team I really worry about is Notre Dame.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We will make the FF and don't be surprised if we win it all. Geno loves to play it on the down low. Removes the pressure on young kids and challenges them all at the same time.

I'm on board with this sentiment. This team has the opportunity to develop over the course of the season like no team in recent (4 or 5) years. The team at the beginning of this season won't remotely resemble the one at the end of this season's team imo.

I really like the spread of talent this year as well....something that was really lacking last season, due both to depth and personnel.

That said, if we don't win it all, I won't be crushed, as I would some years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We are going to the FF... We may lose a few games this season...but it will be nothing more than growing pains. I will not call the Notre Dame match-up as I think that is going to be one hell of a game and Skylar Diggins is a player who knows how to win. Baylor on the other hand, while I believe they will be tough and I believe that winning down at Baylor may be a tough order. I believe that by the time we get to the NCAAs should we match-up against Baylor, Geno will have a game plan that will negate Griner's impact on the game. As far as TN goes...I think we have the players that will present a match-up nightmare for Pat and her staff. I think we win that game should we see them in March. The only team I really worry about is Notre Dame.

Griner is certainly a worry, but at least we have more bodies to throw at her this year. And Steph is night and day from when we played Baylor last year, where she was a non factor for most of the Baylor game.

Simmons would have worried me, had we not gotten Banks. For whatever reason, I don't like the feel of Tiff on Simmons, and I don't think Faris has the foot speed to keep up with her. Neither of these ideas are based on anything though, just gut. Banks should be able to stay with her step for step. I know people like to hate on Simmons, but I think a year of experience, and more importantly the addition of Massengale, will make Simmons a really dangerous player this year. She's not much of a floor leader, and will be well served as an attacking 2 guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom