Geno Unmasked: CD Spills The Beans; Competitive Keitha Don't Like It | The Boneyard

Geno Unmasked: CD Spills The Beans; Competitive Keitha Don't Like It

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dailey said she expects Auriemma to return from his illness soon, even joking with the media that "you'll never see me again." She said Auriemma has been texting questions ever since UConn won 68-49 Sunday at Tulsa.

"Asked what playing without Auriemma has taught her about her team, Dailey smiled and said, "Coaching doesn't matter?"

Collier helps No. 2 UConn rout Wichita State 84-47 :: WRALSportsFan.com

"Tonight was definitely a learning experience for our young squad," Wichita State coach Keitha Adams said. "Big slice of humble pie."

In her post game interview/presser Keitha referred to Phee as #24. What to say other than maybe news travels slow to Kansas?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I do appreciate that she didn't give the "Well, it's UConn, so what do you expect?" attitude.

Reaction Score
Dailey said she expects Auriemma to return from his illness soon, even joking with the media that "you'll never see me again." She said Auriemma has been texting questions ever since UConn won 68-49 Sunday at Tulsa.

"Asked what playing without Auriemma has taught her about her team, Dailey smiled and said, "Coaching doesn't matter?"

"Tonight was definitely a learning experience for our young squad," Wichita State coach Keitha Adams said. "Big slice of humble pie."

In her post game interview/presser Keitha referred to Phee as #24. What to say other than maybe news travels slow to Kansas?

We all love CD. But I wish she had shown a trace of independence and played the bench for the fourth quarter. In a rout against a non-competitive team ( judging by the # of shots they missed, turnovers, etc ), I find it unsettling to see our starting players in the line-up until 3 minutes remain. If the bench players haven't
" earned" more court time than that, then they are worse than we imagine. But we all " know" ( we don't actually know anything) they are working diligently....so why no time?

Reaction Score
We all love CD. But I wish she had shown a trace of independence and played the bench for the fourth quarter. In a rout against a non-competitive team ( judging by the # of shots they missed, turnovers, etc ), I find it unsettling to see our starting players in the line-up until 3 minutes remain. If the bench players haven't " earned" more court time than that, then they are worse than we imagine. But we all " know" ( we don't actually know anything) they are working diligently....so why no time?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We all love CD. But I wish she had shown a trace of independence and played the bench for the fourth quarter. In a rout against a non-competitive team ( judging by the # of shots they missed, turnovers, etc ), I find it unsettling to see our starting players in the line-up until 3 minutes remain. If the bench players haven't
" earned" more court time than that, then they are worse than we imagine. But we all " know" ( we don't actually know anything) they are working diligently....so why no time?
Agree 100%. The starters were meh for Q's 2, 3 and 4 so why not just let the bench play the entire 4th Q? Or leave Meg and Chrystin out there with ONO, Coombs and Irwin/Bent for most of the Q and then sub in Bent/Camara with about 5-6 min left? Starters were down 9-2 midway thru the 4th Q so I don't think the bench could have done much worse...

Reaction Score
UConn is getting ready for the post season. So they are using the remaining games to give the actual 7 player rotation experience in playing together.

ONO and Coombs are really blending in with the starters and are providing elements that are missing (rebounding, blocking, defense) that will be necessary to win a championship

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

From the interviews I have heard from CD, she is just as conservative regarding
what it takes to get minutes as Geno. She is not 'following a company line', she has exactly the same mindset.

And as painful as it may be for us fans, I think they will work to shorten the
rotations and give more time to the 5+2 (Liv, Mikayla) to try to optimize chemistry.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. The starters were meh for Q's 2, 3 and 4 so why not just let the bench play the entire 4th Q? Or leave Meg and Chrystin out there with ONO, Coombs and Irwin/Bent for most of the Q and then sub in Bent/Camara with about 5-6 min left? Starters were down 9-2 midway thru the 4th Q so I don't think the bench could have done much worse...

Irwin has earned it and she as a "muscle reserve" may be needed in addition to her pretty good moves around the hoop and the occasional 3. I thought her passing was pretty wowee too last night.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
what it takes to get minutes as Geno. She is not 'following a company line', she has exactly the same mindset.

rotations and give more time to the 5+2 (Liv, Mikayla) to try to optimize chemistry.

I understand it, but would like a slice for the "break the glass in event of emergency" players.

Reaction Score

Played ONO and Coombs early and often. That is the need for the end of the season. She played The bench when she could. .W.S. U. Played a tougher game than many think or believed they could. A couple of 3 ball shooters kept them nearly at a constant 20 deficit until late in the 4th.\
So Chris Dailey used them with 2 minutes to go. \
I thought her method of coaching was very good. She played her 7 in and out, resting, teaching, and playing. Nice method.
Irwin played well IMO she should get more time. This time of the year only those you can trust deserve more training and experience and playing time. It is too late to worry about those that won't help during the NCAA games.

Reaction Score

I agree. Ms Dailey has been glued to Geno's hip for 34 seasons, by osmosis she has his methods.\ I said below, before reading your comment, (last sentence) that: At this time of the year Uconn doesn't have time to worry about those that won't contribute in the NCAA tourney. You play those you TRUST will play properly for 40 minutes each game, no screwups wanted.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I understand it, but would like a slice for the "break the glass in event of emergency" players.
Unfortunately in case of emergency there would just be...

1551295379442.png

Reaction Score
UConn is getting ready for the post season. So they are using the remaining games to give the actual 7 player rotation experience in playing together.

ONO and Coombs are really blending in with the starters and are providing elements that are missing (rebounding,m blocking, defense) and will be necessary to win a championship
Given the amount of time Coombs has been given, and how early in the game she has been appearing, and with the starters......me thinks we'll see her in some big spots moving forward.

Perhaps she will be the answer to those quick pesky guards that have an annoying habit of breaking our defense down........thinking ND, LV, Baylor here.......and maybe a west coast team or two

ala' Betters, AB

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
And Phee from neighboring state Missouri and all
Missouri and Kansas have a long and troubled history. They might be contiguous, but they are hardly "neighbors". Have you heard the term "Bleeding Kansas"? The show me boys were largely responsible. for most of that bloodletting. Now Coach may not have ever thought about that, but it is there hidden deep in the collective subconscious. "# 24 " affords the appropriate distance.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
And Phee from neighboring state Missouri and all

Neighboring, yes. Neighborly, hell no. The Missouri - Kansas rivalry isn't just about their two flagship state universities. It dates back to the Civil War era. As for the two schools, just another great college sports rivalry ruined by conference realignment. The quest for the almighty dollar prevails again.

Reaction Score

Or she is following the utterances of a certain Indiana team, who use to refer to opponents players by their #.

Reaction Score
In my brilliant pre-game analysis of the Wichita fiasco, I urged CD to use more of the bench players and for a longer time. To my eye nothing was accomplished having the starters destroy a really bad opponent two games in a row. It made me feel personally bad/sad to see Kayla and Molly sitting forlornly while the others labored to get the thing over with. No one works harder (we are told) or is more deserving of some court time than Irwin and Bent. The observation that Kayla is a big body who can bump in the inside (and maybe eat some fouls) is true, and she has real utility going forward. Play her or trade her!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In my brilliant pre-game analysis of the Wichita fiasco, I urged CD to use more of the bench players and for a longer time. To my eye nothing was accomplished having the starters destroy a really bad opponent two games in a row. It made me feel personally bad/sad to see Kayla and Molly sitting forlornly while the others labored to get the thing over with. No one works harder (we are told) or is more deserving of some court time than Irwin and Bent. The observation that Kayla is a big body who can bump in the inside (and maybe eat some fouls) is true, and she has real utility going forward. Play her or trade her!

I suspect that both Kyla and Molly were under the weather in Tulsa, though suited up. Kyla was paler than Molly on that bench and I had thought that was impossible up until then.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Muffet stole, or caught that lack of class from JPM at Duke. Jeff sure did have his say with Muffet.

It's a not-so-subtle way to diss your opposition, which you can easily deny after the fact. Reminds me of the scene from "Hoosiers" where Coach Dale is going over the defensive assignments for the champ game on a blackboard. He used the opponents' numbers and the names of the players next to each number. Coach Dale had class. Some of today's coaches, not so much.

Reaction Score

Good grief !!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure if you are the on the opposite side of two HOF coaches on a basketball issue, you may just want to reconsider your position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom