Geno - This one was on you | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno - This one was on you

Reaction Score
This one stat tells most of the story:

===> Irwin: 32 minutes, 0 for 4 shooting, 2 rebounds, 3 personal fouls and ZERO points.

And, how about that 4th quarter:
===> 6 points scored.
===> The reason: No post presence, thus allowing Baylor to defend the perimeter with numbers as there were JUST 3 players on the floor that were ever going to shoot.

Seriously....
Spot on.

Reaction Score
Walker misses layup to end the 3rd quarter to give them the lead?
4th quarter missed 3-4 straight layups??
The team had 2 points 5 minutes into the 4th qt. Way too many empty possessions.
How many missed foul shots??
Love Liv but was not good last night.
Yep Genos fault.
Some of you are crazy delusional.
Can you just give the opponent credit for once.
They could lose 4 games this year and some will have s complete meltdown.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
@UConnCat - Let me school you, just a little.

With ONO in the game: we have a rebounder, a shot blocker and a post player that forced Cox and Smith to defend in the blocks regardless of whether her shot was falling or not. That effectively keeps them off the perimeter, preventing them for providing help defense....We create open shots via ball movement.

With Irwin in the game: when UCONN is on defense, whom on Baylor is she going to guard. And, when Baylor was on defense, they payed absolutely no attention to her as she was never going to make a shot, always passing off.

With Griffin in the game: we have an athletic player that is going to get rebounds and can actually play defense.

And finally, with both Liv and Griffin in the game: we now have 5 players on the floor that have to be guarder; we have post play; we have interior defense; and, we can actually win the ball back instead of after a Baylor made basket.

That 4th quarter proves my point.
We have post play? We have someone in the post who can defend but can't make a basket when guarded hard by someone her size and doesn’t get herself fouled. Actually we defended better with ONO in the game but were horrible on O because we had no threat in the middle.

Kyla is what she is. I think Anna was a better option. More mobile, can score a bit and never heard of Baylor.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Same story as the losses to NDx2 and miss st

too many missed layups and not enough boxing out on the defensive end. Fix those 2 and you can win that game..and probably do.

Reaction Score
Anna should be starting for no other reason than she will improve every game she plays from now until our last game in March...Irwin will always be Irwin and that is a big problem...
You just won the internet!

Reaction Score
The banner statement - ridiculous! Geno did not miss 49 out of 69 shots taken. Especially all of those layups. Baylor beat UConn fair and square. Why all the missed opportunities, I do not know. Nerves, intimidation, fear, whatever, but that is the final score and that is that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wish a loss would not entail recriminations as in, “Who’s to blame?” But I guess it’s just one of the frailties of human nature that we all have to deal with here on the BY.

Here’s my “glass half full” take. UConnCat has it right with the assessment that this is more about Geno’s recruiting misses. We were all terribly spoiled with 4 straight championships by teams that were loaded with frontcourt size and strength. Subsequently, UConn came down to the wire for A’ja Wilson, Lauren Cox, Charlie Collier and Aliyah Boston before losing out to SC, Baylor, TX & SC respectively. Some combination of those players alone could have maintained UConn’s championship streak to a ridiculous level. That’s all water under the bridge now.

Recruiting has not been very good for 4 years running. Geno has stated that in order to sustain a top level program his goal is to bring in two college AA quality players each year. A generous assessment for each class would be that Geno has 1 (Crystal), 1 (Megan), 2 (Christyn & Liv) and 1? (Aubrey). He also has 1 more on the bench currently redshirting.

Despite all the recruiting misses, UConn has made it to the last 3 FF’s and will undoubtedly end up as a top 10 team this season, whether or not they make it to yet another FF. More exciting is that the cavalry is coming in the form of 5 signed players next season with 3 really good players verbally committed in the following seasons and more to be announced.

UConn’s continued success in the face of recruiting misses is unbelievable. Every other team in the country hits a rough patch. We need only look to the situation in South Bend to grasp what can happen to even one of the very best programs in the country, coached by one of the very best coaches in the country. After 2 straight trips to the national finals, ND is at 6-10, the team is currently reeling, with all of its tough conference games still ahead. The Irish could lose 20 games this year.

Geno and UConn WBB are a treasure. Some day when he finally hangs up his coaching whistle, we may all truly learn just how hard what he does year in and year out actually is. Quoting Tom Hanks character from A League of Their Own. “It’s supposed to be hard. It’s the hard that makes it great.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@UConnCat - Let me school you, just a little.

With ONO in the game: we have a rebounder, a shot blocker and a post player that forced Cox and Smith to defend in the blocks regardless of whether her shot was falling or not. That effectively keeps them off the perimeter, preventing them for providing help defense....We create open shots via ball movement.

With Irwin in the game: when UCONN is on defense, whom on Baylor is she going to guard. And, when Baylor was on defense, they payed absolutely no attention to her as she was never going to make a shot, always passing off.

With Griffin in the game: we have an athletic player that is going to get rebounds and can actually play defense.

And finally, with both Liv and Griffin in the game: we now have 5 players on the floor that have to be guarder; we have post play; we have interior defense; and, we can actually win the ball back instead of after a Baylor made basket.

That 4th quarter proves my point.

I agree with this completely. My thoughts watching the game were very simple. If Griffin can improve and learn where she needs to be at what times - UConn can compete with teams like Baylor and USC. Her athleticism is unique and I am always impressed seeing her get a rebound or get in the passing lane while being a out of position or matched up against a bigger player. To me, she's the key. Nobody else on the bench has her ability.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Kayla was terrible. She is not ready for this type game. Too slow doesn't jump, They were shooting over her at will. At least Griffin would get us some rebounds. Geno you screwed up.

Kayla was so bad she didn't even make the roster. But there is a Kayla playing for Carson-Newman and averaging 12 rebounds per game. Talking about her?

Reaction Score
Those cigars that the OP is smoking must be filled with tumbleweed soaked in LSD! Clearly, I am not one of the "astute" analysts on our forum to whom he refers, but am one of those that the self-described "all knowing" one needs to take to "school," so as to be better educated on the underpinnings of this rare UConn loss. No, this defeat is not "on" Geno because of his decision to play Kyla in the manner that he did. UConn lost to a clearly better, more experienced, more aggressive and deeper team than its own at this point in time. Putting this on the Kyla decision suggests, of course, that the coach had a better option off the bench who would, if only she were put in there instead, would have been the savior who would have reversed the team's fortunes if only Geno had enough sense to see the obvious. Alas, no evidence emerges that suggests that there exists any credibility for this folly.
Had Geno relied more on one of his Freshmen, one could argue that at the very least such a player would be picking up experience in a tough situation, but to intimate that doing so would have altered the outcome? Sorry, I don't think I wish to attend any school in which you are The Professor!
Geno obviously made a pre-game decision to place more emphasis on defending the paint than the perimeter, one of those decisions that coaches are routinely forced to make. Baylor was too effective in both areas for that decision to bear fruit in a meaningful way. They were the better team last night...accordingly, they won...no single player who might have been afforded additional minutes at Kyla's expense would have altered that reality!

Reaction Score
Aubrey will be a good player but, no, she isn’t there yet. Too many mistakes, Everyone wants to anoint her now. She’ll get there. Just not now.
With Anna we get no points in any game. We have given her plenty of time to let it go. Time to give someone else a chance. Griffin is raw but not afraid to put it up and there's 12 to 20 points a game in that girl somewhere.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The concept of anyone who posts on this board telling Geno Auriemma that he doesn't know what he is doing is the height of hubris. The basis for your comment is what you saw as a SPECTATOR. You were not involved in the practice. You were not involved in the pregame shootaround or walk through. You were not involved in the coaches meeting. In other words your assessment is based in ignorance. Your lack of information is only exceeded by your arrogance. Please do not tell me how much you know about basketball or what a great coach you are. You are not privy to the inner workings of the team and as such your opinion is unqualified. Thank you

Reaction Score
T. Cooper is going to have big games. She had 20 points and 4 assists on 80% shooting in 20 minutes vs UCONN last year. Foul trouble was the issue as she ended up fouling out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about all the times Kyla was wide open at the top of the key after passing/screening and instead whoever she gave the ball to went one-on-one?
Did she even draw iron on any of her jump shots?

Reaction Score
With Anna we get no points in any game. We have given her plenty of time to let it go. Time to give someone else a chance. Griffin is raw but not afraid to put it up and there's 12 to 20 points a game in that girl somewhere.
It's pretty silly to diminish Anna because she contributes in so many things besides points and yet, she has the capacity to score which you'll see at some point .... she's an amazing passer who has consistently set up others for easy baskets, she's a solid rebounder and has shown previously that she has a pretty good three point shot

Reaction Score
Cooper totally outplayed Dangerfield for most of the game! A senior in college and how many times do you take your jumpshot only to be called for travelling! 3 times! To much one on one in second half and Uconn needs to make more 3s than the other team on a consistent basis. Especially against the Baylors, Oregon and South Carolina.

Boston had 24
The concept of anyone who posts on this board telling Geno Auriemma that he doesn't know what he is doing is the height of hubris. The basis for your comment is what you saw as a SPECTATOR. You were not involved in the practice. You were not involved in the pregame shootaround or walk through. You were not involved in the coaches meeting. In other words your assessment is based in ignorance. Your lack of information is only exceeded by your arrogance. Please do not tell me how much you know about basketball or what a great coach you are. You are not privy to the inner workings of the team and as such your opinion is unqualified. Thank you
Just like you are not qualified To comment about anybody on this board! Yes or No?

Reaction Score
There is room for improvement for this young team. CD, MW and CW took bulk of shots for a reason. They are the most experienced in big game situations. I believe we'll get better from this game. Hopefully Liv now knows what it takes to compete and be counted on in big games because she is battle tested. Kyla who I think played her role well last night, will know what more she can do moving forward.
I think the biggest thing missing last night was defensive intensity on the perimeter. Crystal doesn't seem the same on defense and I am sure that is due to her injury. CW and MW seem to play flat footed and tend to lose there player. Liv activity on perimeter defense has to get better. With that said we played a pretty good defensive game.

I still only see Oregon and Baylor being the two teams we will struggle to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom