Geno raised the black flag on Sunday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno raised the black flag on Sunday

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know it's a haka and it's origins go way back in Maori history. As used by the All Blacks it is a challenge haka. But the All Blacks are not Maor (though generally there are some Maori players), but a professional New Zealand team. I suspect in the US we'd called it a shameful cultural appropriation and go from there! Can't say I've seen a Fijian war dance, but more power to them.

The majority of the players have Maori blood (over the years), because of both their size and their ferocity. Plenty of successful white guys too, one of their most famous in fact [Richie McCaw].

Reaction Score
I had never heard of "The Ladies from Hell" until - by chance - met this author while having breakfast at a B&B in Dublin this September. Sounds like a great read!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I suspect in the US we'd called it a shameful cultural appropriation and go from there!

I'm almost positive I've seen college football players do it in the US. Not the whole team but a handful of players. Not Maori but Samoan or Pacific Islander, which I think have some common history?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I liked those black uniforms.

Black is the absence of color. Black is also known as a mysterious color associated with the unknown or the negative. Black also represents strength, seriousness, power and authority. And we can add formal, elegant and prestigious.

All those definitions fit us perfectly.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I believe you are correct. Very deep blue. Hard to distinguish in a lot of settings, but cannot see the logic behind not wearing your team color.
I agree. When, and Who changed the school colors? It was always royal blue and white.

Reaction Score
I know it's a haka and it's origins go way back in Maori history. As used by the All Blacks it is a challenge haka. But the All Blacks are not Maor (though generally there are some Maori players), but a professional New Zealand team. I suspect in the US we'd called it a shameful cultural appropriation and go from there! Can't say I've seen a Fijian war dance, but more power to them.

Maori culture is a part of New Zealand culture in a way that is not usually seen in other parts of the world. Kia ora is an accepted greeting that can be used by anyone. My kids are in a New Zealand daycare and they have weekly kapa haka lessons (Maori performing arts); the kids have these lessons irrespective of their cultural identity.

Other rugby teams have tried to respond to the haka by ignoring it, or offering various responses in the past. I believe it is considered respectful to listen to the haka and respond (i.e., with a war dance as the other polynesian teams do, or just generally with a display of national pride). Ignoring the haka is considered disrespectful, and on the occasions that this has happened, iirc it just fired up the All Blacks even more, with the opposing teams losing big time, and I think this is why opposing teams usually don't ignore the haka. Of course, it helps that the All Blacks have been the worlds' most dominate rugby team for generations.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree. When, and Who changed the school colors? It was always royal blue and white.
The colors are national flag blue and white. At some point, it became national flag blue, red, and white. After the emergence of a Div I/FBS football team, the school added silver (to our everlasting disgust).

The women wear a predominantly white uni at Gampel, national flag blue on the road, and grey at the XL center. Now, there are black uniforms - add me to the list of people who like them.

1543893527804.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
View attachment 37033 Don’t know how I missed this. I was never disappointed that none of the top targets didn’t sign with UConn this year. I don’t cry at recruiting losses of any players that don’t want to be UConn. All those players not commiting just opened up the space for all players that do want to be at UConn. The guy just knows what he’s doing. In Geno I trust!
I'm surprised I haven't seen people dissecting this quote more vigorously. "We're going to have a bunch of good players here next year, that's for sure." Certainly makes one wonder if Geno's freshmen class of fall 2019 has not yet been completed.

Reaction Score
While I liked the look of the black uniforms, I’m a fan of weasring school colors. Plus, both our women’s & men’s teams have had some classy looking uniforms over the years. As a side note, I would aso prefer that US national men’s & women’s soccer teams utilize national colors for their uni’s, but that’s just me....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm almost positive I've seen college football players do it in the US. Not the whole team but a handful of players. Not Maori but Samoan or Pacific Islander, which I think have some common history?

One just happened recently iirc. Maori player at LSU walking into the stadium, greeted his family, who in turn started doing the haka, and he responded in kind. Pretty cool vid. This best is one of his American teammates in the back getting completely pumped up by it.

Reaction Score

UConn's colors are national flag blue and white. Not navy blue.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised I haven't seen people dissecting this quote more vigorously. "We're going to have a bunch of good players here next year, that's for sure." Certainly makes one wonder if Geno's freshmen class of fall 2019 has not yet been completed.
I was shocked as well, don’t know how it hadn’t been on the board. The class for next fall may not be finished, but I think he’s referring to the 2020 class. I hope Bueckers is in that number, she is the type of player that can live up to a #1 ranking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The colors are national flag blue and white. At some point, it became national flag blue, red, and white. After the emergence of a Div I/FBS football team, the school added silver (to our everlasting disgust).

The women wear a predominantly white uni at Gampel, national flag blue on the road, and grey at the XL center. Now, there are black uniforms - add me to the list of people who like them.
Colors were National Blue and white. In the last rebranding they switched to Navy Blue with red and grey as accent colors. Link Actual uniform colors appear to be lighter.

I didn't mind the black but they could have gotten to the same place with National Flag Blue. In the end whatever the players like is fine with me for alternate jerseys.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I must be losing my eyesight as well as my hearing...I thought they were dark Navy Blue. Thanks for clarifying.

Nah, you’re ok. Most of us wouldn’t have known they were black if the announcer hadn’t mentioned it. They looked dark blue to me too, and I was watching on a 4X HD 50” TV. :confused: I was happy with everything I saw during those two hours last night.

UConn has more games against top 10 teams, but Notre Dame was the biggest. I’ll bet the team had a wonderful day today visiting Napheesa’s hometown.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I liked those black uniforms.

Black is the absence of color. Black is also known as a mysterious color associated with the unknown or the negative. Black also represents strength, seriousness, power and authority. And we can add formal, elegant and prestigious.

All those definitions fit us perfectly.
And the Notre Dame faithful believe Geno is Darth Vader so black works for me.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
In dress, nowadays, Black is known as the "power" color. When you want to project power or feel in your power, wear all black. Try it at Christmas dinner!:cool::rolleyes:
As tradition dictates, I will be having Christmas dinner in a Chinese restaurant...perhaps dressed in black.

Reaction Score
Sign me up for the "black unis" also (call them "dark navy blue" if it makes you feel better). I won't mind seeing these unis for every big game...whether home or away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom