Geno Press Conference - Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Press Conference - Today

Reaction Score
While I'll miss SNY, so long as I can stream the games on ESPN3, I can live with it. However, I am really worried about JustinesGuy. God knows what he might do when he can no longer watch his favorite sideline reporter and the host of the Geno Auriemma show. :rolleyes:
Well...as a Mets fan I had the privilege of seeing Justine quite a bit on SNY throughout last summer. I suppose she'll be back this summer as well because she was quite knowledgeable and effective. In fact, I believe she may be more of a baseball fan than basketball. @JustinesGuy

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That's why I have always thought it's not as likely as many think that Shea takes over UConn. Of course she surely would like to. I always thought Berube or Rizzotti, will be towards the top of the list. Berube could enhance her stock if she moved to DI , though she has the experience coaching elite recruits with the U-16. Rizzotti at GW record has been going in the wrong direction, this season was horrible.

Rizzotti like Elliot has had a disappointing coaching career. Both prove the point that being an outstanding player doesn't always translate to outstanding coach. As for Berube, I still believe that she is exactly where she wants to be and is doing exactly what she wants to do.

Reaction Score
1553802146896.png

Well, apparently JustinesGuy is no longer a member on the Boneyard. Does anyone have any info, or must we go directly to Justine?

Reaction Score
And later regarding whether Tennessee can get back to the elite status: [after all the obligatory, "I feel bad for Holly" stuff] "Getting the right coach is aways a huge key. And getting someone who knows how to coach.... If they get the right person for that job I don't think it will take long for them to be back where they were. I don't think that's going to be very difficult at all."

Geno also makes a good case for NOT replacing an iconic coach who defined a program - who basically WAS the program - with a long-time assistant with no head coaching experience.
Uconn now has 2 examples not to follow in using a long time/short time assistant or former player to replace a retiring coach. Geno got this one right. Also important to Uconn and future recruiting---I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE, I'M THE COACH OF UCONN a very needed acclimation. Recruits you may line up at the door.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But there would be a change with the games. There's no way ESPN will put in the kind of manpower into each UConn game that SNY does -- and that's assuming they even do every UConn game (which, for the women, it doesn't sound like they will). I'm emotionally preparing myself to be disappointed by how much UConn WBB I'll be able to watch going forward.
Yea, possibly with the number of games. And sure with announcers. Although thinking about it, I would think most UCONN games would be shown. ???

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yea, possibly with the number of games. And sure with announcers. Although thinking about it, I would think most UCONN games would be shown. ???

ESPN will not televise games against the lesser likes of the AAC, of which there are many, unless somebody else provides the production crew. I'm sure they'd be happy to put those games on ESPN+ if somebody else produces them. If that somebody else is SNY, it would have to be a deal that works out well enough financially for them to bother with supplying the production crew.

Reaction Score
As is always the case, the best of Geno is always in the hall. A very reflective and somewhat sad Geno gives his performance of the season looking at the hard topics. Going to miss him a lot if I'm still around "in a few years".

PS. Says he will not have a hand in picking his successor. Can he stay away?

Geno is no fool he knows if he picks a failure it will look as though he wanted a failure, if he pick a whirlwind his legacy isn't as great. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Calhoun hand picked his and look at the results--also Jim hung around the Uconn team and games much too long. Retire go away let the next coach do his/her job their way. Stop the looking over the shoulder BS. AS AD I'd demand the former coach not be around the program.

Reaction Score
And later regarding whether Tennessee can get back to the elite status: [after all the obligatory, "I feel bad for Holly" stuff] "Getting the right coach is aways a huge key. And getting someone who knows how to coach.... If they get the right person for that job I don't think it will take long for them to be back where they were. I don't think that's going to be very difficult at all."

Geno also makes a good case for NOT replacing an iconic coach who defined a program - who basically WAS the program - with a long-time assistant with no head coaching experience.

Going straight for the 'ideal' coach is also problematic, though. Immediately after a legend retires, the shadow of their reputation and presence and results still looms large over the program. A successor coach in that position isn't just being measured against his or her D1 opponents, but also the expectations of the program itself.

I think that choosing Holly to be the immediate successor was the right call, both in respect for her long service and to serve as a gentle transition to the next era of the program. If she overperformed and Tennessee rocketed back to the top, keep her around. If not, gently ease her aside at the end of her contract in favor of the ideal coach you wanted all along.

The problem was that she was there too long after her limitations as a head coach became apparent. Yes, she was still winning some conference and tournament games based on the great talent she was still getting...and it's not easy to let go of a coach of a top 10 or top 20 team. But someone should have made the hard choice years ago.

Reaction Score
View attachment 41515

Well, apparently JustinesGuy is no longer a member on the Boneyard. Does anyone have any info, or must we go directly to Justine?

How do you delete yourself as a member of the BY? I did not think that was possible, at least when I have looked previously.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
"I like it better when everyone hated each other. I miss the hate."

Lol, me too Geno.
This was vintage Geno and everything I love about him. His full response was great.

"I don't even know what it means to have a chip on your shoulder these days. I know what it used to mean, it meant kids were pissed, they felt disrespected, and when they felt like that, you actually saw the results on the court. [Alludes to 2001 loss in St. Louis and how it kept his players motivated every single day until 2002 national championship. Showed up in practices every day and in how they played every game.] Today the chip on kids' shoulders lasts until their next text. So, we got a chip on our shoulder. They got a chip on their phone. That other stuff doesn't exist anymore. How are you going to have a chip on your shoulder when your best friends were all the kids you play against, and you got everybody on speed dial cause you played against these kids growing up? I liked it better when everybody hated each other? All the hate's gone. It's no fun."

Love it. That attitude is why I'm such an admirer of UConn and Geno.

Reaction Score
He makes it sound like the ESPN+ thing could cut out SNY completely. Unless something is worked out. :(

ESPN+ costs 5 bucks/mo. If we can still see all of the games somewhere, the outlay is negligible. I know that SNY has some perks we like, but the important thing is to see the games, all of them.

Reaction Score
ESPN+ costs 5 bucks/mo. If we can still see all of the games somewhere, the outlay is negligible. I know that SNY has some perks we like, but the important thing is to see the games, all of them.
Unlikely you will be able to see all the games. ESPN isn't sending a truck and crew to cover the biiiiig Tulane at Tulsa matchup on a Tuesday night in mid-January. The big OOC games will obviously still be available on ESPN as they always have been, but I expect much of the AAC schedule will not be covered by ESPN, just as it isn't now. That's where SNY came in. Most of the games they picked up were the UConn conference games, but who knows if a similar agreement can be worked out between ESPN+ and SNY. Based on the comments we have seen from AD Benedict and Geno thus far I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Reaction Score
This was vintage Geno and everything I love about him. His full response was great.

"I don't even know what it means to have a chip on your shoulder these days. I know what it used to mean, it meant kids were pissed, they felt disrespected, and when they felt like that, you actually saw the results on the court. [Alludes to 2001 loss in St. Louis and how it kept his players motivated every single day until 2002 national championship. Showed up in practices every day and in how they played every game.] Today the chip on kids' shoulders lasts until their next text. So, we got a chip on our shoulder. They got a chip on their phone. That other stuff doesn't exist anymore. How are you going to have a chip on your shoulder when your best friends were all the kids you play against, and you got everybody on speed dial cause you played against these kids growing up? I liked it better when everybody hated each other? All the hate's gone. It's no fun."

Love it. That attitude is why I'm such an admirer of UConn and Geno.

Frankly, this was my observation about the team last year. They should have been pissed off and fired up to avenge the MSU debacle. They just weren't. No attitude, no fire. Just playing their role in the system -- quite well, of course -- but when it came to face another tough, determined opponent who came to play with that moxie, they couldn't match it and wilted again. I have the same fear about this year's group.

Reaction Score
No more Geno Show, All-Access, Senior Day, championship, or pre/post game coverage. ESPN barely wants to cover the women's NCAA tourney, you think they're gonna show UConn at Tulsa on a random Wednesday night in January?
As long as Tulsa produces the show, they’ll stream it. Did you miss the self-production part of the contract?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom