Geno Press Conference - Today | The Boneyard

Geno Press Conference - Today

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He makes it sound like the ESPN+ thing could cut out SNY completely. Unless something is worked out. :(

Reaction Score
Great start! "I am the coach at UCONN and I intend to be the coach at UCONN next year" :D:D:D:D
And later regarding whether Tennessee can get back to the elite status: [after all the obligatory, "I feel bad for Holly" stuff] "Getting the right coach is aways a huge key. And getting someone who knows how to coach.... If they get the right person for that job I don't think it will take long for them to be back where they were. I don't think that's going to be very difficult at all."

Geno also makes a good case for NOT replacing an iconic coach who defined a program - who basically WAS the program - with a long-time assistant with no head coaching experience.

Reaction Score
And later regarding whether Tennessee can get back to the elite status: [after all the obligatory, "I feel bad for Holly" stuff] "Getting the right coach is aways a huge key. And getting someone who knows how to coach.... If they get the right person for that job I don't think it will take long for them to be back where they were. I don't think that's going to be very difficult at all."

Geno also makes a good case for NOT replacing an iconic coach who defined a program - who basically WAS the program - with a long-time assistant with no head coaching experience.

That's why I have always thought it's not as likely as many think that Shea takes over UConn. Of course she surely would like to. I always thought Berube or Rizzotti, will be towards the top of the list. Berube could enhance her stock if she moved to DI , though she has the experience coaching elite recruits with the U-16. Rizzotti at GW record has been going in the wrong direction, this season was horrible.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
He makes it sound like the ESPN+ thing could cut out SNY completely. Unless something is worked out. :(
While I'll miss SNY, so long as I can stream the games on ESPN3, I can live with it. However, I am really worried about JustinesGuy. God knows what he might do when he can no longer watch his favorite sideline reporter and the host of the Geno Auriemma show. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I'll miss SNY, so long as I can stream the games on ESPN3, I can live with it. However, I am really worried about JustinesGuy. God knows what he might do when he can no longer watch his favorite sideline reporter and the host of the Geno Auriemma show. :rolleyes:
Yea, I already don't get SNY, so no change with the games. However without SNY there would be no Geno Auriemma Show.

Reaction Score

The plan as described now is it will be on ESPN+ not ESPN3. ESPN+ is an extra charge while ESPN3 is free as ESPN in you cable package. The problem with this deal as it stands, is that not only may SNY's great content be gone, but all non UConn ESPN/ESPN2 games will require people to pay extra. This hurts UConn's exposure nationally from any person in the country could drop in on a game via ESPN3,to them having to pay for it. ESPN+ bball content is from the really small conferences, like Missouri Valley, etc,,, AAC would be the biggest conf on it, but will get killed on exposure compared to ACC, SEC which have conf networks owned partially by ESPN which are jammed into cable packages of all the member states and have wide distribution in sports packages. Meanwhile AAC schools are behind a pay wall.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Yea, I already don't get SNY, so no change with the games. However without SNY there would be no Geno Auriemma Show.

But there would be a change with the games. There's no way ESPN will put in the kind of manpower into each UConn game that SNY does -- and that's assuming they even do every UConn game (which, for the women, it doesn't sound like they will). I'm emotionally preparing myself to be disappointed by how much UConn WBB I'll be able to watch going forward.

Reaction Score
But there would be a change with the games. There's no way ESPN will put in the kind of manpower into each UConn game that SNY does -- and that's assuming they even do every UConn game (which, for the women, it doesn't sound like they will). I'm emotionally preparing myself to be disappointed by how much UConn WBB I'll be able to watch going forward.

SNY will surely work really hard for tiered rights to UConn. As you said, ESPN is not going to want to make the investment to air or produce the AAC conf games that are likely not to be competitive. Since the AAC formed the most competitive(still 20+ pt loss on avg) are USF. So maybe SNY get most of the UConn AAC games and the non P5 home OOC games

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to watch ESPN+ programming on ESPN3 (WatchESPN) without paying for it ($5/mo.). All that great additional SNY programming is at risk also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No more Geno Show, All-Access, Senior Day, championship, or pre/post game coverage. ESPN barely wants to cover the women's NCAA tourney, you think they're gonna show UConn at Tulsa on a random Wednesday night in January?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to watch ESPN3+ programming on ESPN3 (WatchESPN) without paying for it ($5/mo.). All that great additional SNY programming is at risk also.
I get ESPN’s streaming service now on Roku at no additional charge as I pay for ESPN as part of my cable package.

Reaction Score

Holly should not be the standard by which assistant coaches are judged. While it is true that gpod assistants do not always make good coaches, we need to consider the personalities involved. Does the assistant posses the personality of the existing coach enabling them to continue the system successfully. Holly and Pat were personality opposites. She should have been the last person hired if they expected to run the same system.

Still it is better to allow an assistant to prove themselves as a head coach at a lower level than to assume they will be competent enough to run a top flight program like either Uconn or Tenn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

His statement does not sound any more negative than any other statement. He hopes something can be worked out for SNY because any deal without SNY is bad for UConn but any deal which keeps a strong SNY presence is good for UConn.

psconn

Reaction Score
I get ESPN’s streaming service now on Roku at no additional charge as I pay for ESPN as part of my cable package.

I do too, but if I select an ESPN+ program I am prompted to purchase a subscription or enter my ESPN+login info. Have you watched any actual ESPN+ programming?

Reaction Score
ESPN3 and ESPN+ are not the same thing as I understand it. Sure they're both streaming services, but one you get for "free" because you pay for it because you get ESPN on cable, the other is a new standalone platform that will probably be the future of ESPN where if you cut the cable you'll pay a monthly fee for access to all things ESPN. Right now they are balancing their offerings between cable and ESPN+, but in the future you'll pay $20 or $30/month to stream all of the ESPN content if you cut the cord.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do too, but if I select an ESPN3+ program I am prompted to purchase a subscription or enter my ESPN3+login info. Have you watched any actual ESPN3+ programming?
Maybe not. Perhaps that would be an issue.

psconn

Reaction Score
Maybe not. Perhaps that would be an issue.
To be clear it's called ESPN+ (I was calling it ESPN3+ above... now corrected)

Reaction Score
Not one question to Geno OR Lou about Lou's back!!! Is it assumed she is 100% or is it not a question asked in polite company?

Reaction Score

If they lose the SNY deal, wouldn't it affect Geno compensation since a lot of it comes from SNY activities? So maybe he should throw his hat in the Tennesse's job if the money is right;)

Reaction Score
I live far outside the SNY area, so I have already been getting the SNY games-only on ESPN3 - no pre/post-game, Geno Show or special progeamming.

But I’m pretty sure for you locals that if SNY or some other local media outfit is willing to produce the games that ESPN/CBS/FS don’t want, ESPN will be happy to allow this (for a fee), with the rights to stream that broadcast outside the local station’s area on ESPN+.

ESPN does not have the resources to produce all these games themselves, and for events like AAC WBB conference games it makes no financial sense for them to put additional resources in place. They will be greatful for the content provided by local stations throughout the conference.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As is always the case, the best of Geno is always in the hall. A very reflective and somewhat sad Geno gives his performance of the season looking at the hard topics. Going to miss him a lot if I'm still around "in a few years".

PS. Says he will not have a hand in picking his successor. Can he stay away?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom