Geno on why Edsall fails. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on why Edsall fails.

Reaction Score
You don’t have to take it seriously, your choice. Edsall’s tactics don’t work because he’s not genuine. And he’s made it clear publicly that he’s NOT INVESTED in a large portion of the roster.

again you name no players and what quote are you referring to? give me the quote and the context.

Reaction Score
That’s great that he played what he felt were the best players, however what about the rest of the kids on the roster? How can you create depth if you keep telling kids they suck? How can you win games without contributions from guys you didn’t list? You’re going to need them. Injuries happen. Guys get tired. Your job as a coach/teacher is to make EVERY kid better. Even if they don’t FIT what you’re looking for. You don’t know when you’ll need them but they need to be ready. Edsall’s coaching record reflects the OPs point. And it’s exactly why Geno and now Hurley have complete buy in from the kids they coach. You’re NEVER going to have a roster of kids you like. Make due with what you have. Build them up. Allow them to reach their fullest potential. That doesn’t happen if you aren’t invested in EVERY kid on the roster. Until Edsall figures that out, nothing will change.

Look, it’s like the kid in Little League that no one wants to draft. He’s a good kid but he’s not very good. He can’t hit, catch or throw. He knows he’s not good because every coach he’s had told him that. But, someone’s got to take him. You know who takes him? I do. I did it every year. I never treated him different then anyone else on the team. If he was willing to give me 100% everyday, I would make him better. I spent time working with him every practice. He knew I wasn’t going to do to him what other coaches had (play RF). I played him everywhere. I let him pitch a game. I don’t like losing but I didn’t care. This was about getting a kid like that to believe he was part of something. You know what happened? He got better everyday. He started to hit. He made plays in the field. His teammates started to see him as an equal. He was never going to be a great player but he felt like he was contributing to a team for the first time ever. We won the league championship and he got a big hit that game. That doesn’t happen if a coach isn’t INVESTED in seeing every kid achieve their own personal level of success. I prepared him for that moment. He ceased the opportunity. He just needed someone who could push him but he knew that it came from a good place.

I’m not trying to to my own horn here. I don’t see myself a great coach. But, I’ve been a very successful youth baseball coach over the years. My teams are always the team nobody wanted to play. Not because I picked the best kids or I was a great coach, (I picked kids I thought I could work with and I ALWAYS picked the kid no other coach wanted.), but because I got my kids to believed in themselves, played together and most played above what THEY thought they were capable of. All because a coach was invested in them and believed they were capable of it!!!

This is division 1 football. You play the best players. I'm sorry, Geno, Hurley, Calhoun, any good football coach you can name don't play play everyone "so they can feel like part of the team." In the 6 OT against Syracuse we had a bunch of guys foul out, needed bodies, and Calhoun still didn't play Jonathan Mandeldove. Why? Because he had shown he wasn't good enough for this level.

There's no evidence that Edsall didn't give any of these guys a chance to show they deserved to play. There's no evidence he ignored them or was a dick to them in practice cuz he was only focused on his guys. He played who he thought were the best guys like any good coach would do. When those guys are freshmen you are probably going to suck.

Reaction Score
Please stop comparing the team Edsall inherited to the team Hurley inherited. Hurley inherited a starting line-up of 4 star recruits. Please stop this stupid nonsense. Ollie sucked an Hurley is awesome I get that, but nothing there is comparable to this football team. Nothing.
It does compare, you just don’t understand it.

Reaction Score
This is division 1 football. You play the best players. I'm sorry, Geno, Hurley, Calhoun, any good football coach you can name don't play play everyone "so they can feel like part of the team." In the 6 OT against Syracuse we had a bunch of guys foul out, needed bodies, and Calhoun still didn't play Jonathan Mandeldove. Why? Because he had shown he wasn't good enough for this level.

There's no evidence that Edsall didn't give any of these guys a chance to show they deserved to play. There's no evidence he ignored them or was a dick to them in practice cuz he was only focused on his guys. He played who he thought were the best guys like any good coach would do. When those guys are freshmen you are probably going to suck.
You don’t HAVE to play them all but you can play a majority of them....;)

Reaction Score
It does compare, you just don’t understand it.

Danny Hurley inherited the most talented roster in the AAC. He has said publicly many times that one of the big attractions of this job was the talent on the roster. Randy Edsall inherited the least talented roster in the AAC. Other than that minor fact you're right the two situations are comparable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That’s great that he played what he felt were the best players, however what about the rest of the kids on the roster? How can you create depth if you keep telling kids they suck? How can you win games without contributions from guys you didn’t list? You’re going to need them. Injuries happen. Guys get tired. Your job as a coach/teacher is to make EVERY kid better. Even if they don’t FIT what you’re looking for. You don’t know when you’ll need them but they need to be ready. Edsall’s coaching record reflects the OPs point. And it’s exactly why Geno and now Hurley have complete buy in from the kids they coach. You’re NEVER going to have a roster of kids you like. Make due with what you have. Build them up. Allow them to reach their fullest potential. That doesn’t happen if you aren’t invested in EVERY kid on the roster. Until Edsall figures that out, nothing will change.

Look, it’s like the kid in Little League that no one wants to draft. He’s a good kid but he’s not very good. He can’t hit, catch or throw. He knows he’s not good because every coach he’s had told him that. But, someone’s got to take him. You know who takes him? I do. I did it every year. I never treated him different then anyone else on the team. If he was willing to give me 100% everyday, I would make him better. I spent time working with him every practice. He knew I wasn’t going to do to him what other coaches had (play RF). I played him everywhere. I let him pitch a game. I don’t like losing but I didn’t care. This was about getting a kid like that to believe he was part of something. You know what happened? He got better everyday. He started to hit. He made plays in the field. His teammates started to see him as an equal. He was never going to be a great player but he felt like he was contributing to a team for the first time ever. We won the league championship and he got a big hit that game. That doesn’t happen if a coach isn’t INVESTED in seeing every kid achieve their own personal level of success. I prepared him for that moment. He ceased the opportunity. He just needed someone who could push him but he knew that it came from a good place.

I’m not trying to to my own horn here. I don’t see myself a great coach. But, I’ve been a very successful youth baseball coach over the years. My teams are always the team nobody wanted to play. Not because I picked the best kids or I was a great coach, (I picked kids I thought I could work with and I ALWAYS picked the kid no other coach wanted.), but because I got my kids to believed in themselves, played together and most played above what THEY thought they were capable of. All because a coach was invested in them and believed they were capable of it!!!

I am happy that you are successful at the Little League level - finding coaches at those age groups are important
I've coached for over 30 years in 3 sports ranging from U-8 through college age ranks.
If you think that every kid who plays hard is doing so because they relate to you or buy into your style/philosophy - you are kidding yourself
I had plenty of males and females who did not like me, my style or my program, I knew it but at least 60% of them played hard and succeeded - Why? because they wanted to play and be successful
Intersecting the blah blah that Geno and many coaches like to carry on with what RE2 has faced is ridiculous and I have no doubt that Geno was not nodding towards RE2 when he said these things
He is currently having his own bump in the road in terms of recruitment
You made on offhand inference to Ollie - not warranted IMHO but if RE2 proportionally had in terms of returning talent that DH enjoyed this year - he would be happier than a pig in

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Edsall just needed to love them harder to make them D1 caliber! I’ve heard it all now.

I am a bit concerned that he's never once commented on their vitamin D levels. What is he hiding???

Reaction Score
Your posts don't go over anyone's head. They are completely devoid of meaning and intelligent comment.

You are not as smart as you think you are.

Since he quoted, and then paraphrased, Geno, you must be saying you're smarter than Geno. Is that correct?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Since he quoted, and then paraphrased, Geno, you must be saying you're smarter than Geno. Is that correct?

I don’t think he is capable of understanding Geno’s words.

Reaction Score
“A great coach told me one time a player is only as good as you think they are,” he said. “It makes a lot of sense. A lot of times when you only see the upside in a kid, that kid tends to give you the upside. When you see the downside and only see the bad stuff the kid does, that kid lives down to your expectations. The worst thing a coach can do is make a decision on a kid before the kid plays or actually plays into that bad place."

Actually it was Geno talking about coaching in general. But.
Geno is what Nick Saban is to CFB. Can't correlate that to what Edsall is dealing with. Unlevel playing fields when you only recruit and get the best talent year in and year out vs. a guy who has to convince kids to come play be bold enough to build something... two different animals.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One thing I did not like out of Edsall this year was he seemed too corporate on the sideline to me. This team needed more energy out of the head coach, not angry yelling and screaming but leadership in getting the small victories we had each game. Staying by himself, headset on, hood up not really interacting with the players when they all needed feedback in real time even in blowouts was not a good look to me. Recruiting wise he knows the needs and hopefully he can get enough players to commit. We should have won more games last year. This year was what we were. A 1-11 team talent wise. I will give the players and staff credit though as they looked like they weren't mailing it in. There was effort all season long. We just weren't good enough to win in this league in 2018. I stayed till the end of the final game to honor the players who work all year long to be successful. Geno has put down players on his team often bye the way.

Reaction Score
Then demonstate it by posting something cogent. My post was timely, accurate and insightful. Yours was off topic, insulting and vapid. Try to do better.

Pal no attack here but you have to really step back and read what you write....Head bang
You use words like, cogent, timely, accurate, insightful, insulting and vapid...
These would all fit a misleading thread created under the guise of Geno making a comment about Randy.
After the azzinine statement you put your tail between your legs with. Actually it was Geno talking about coaching in general. But.

You brought an empty bowl to your own buffet and slander others for their dish.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley has a team of two five star recruits at 86th on KenPom and people here are ready to build him a statue. Can't remember a time so much was made of a coach beating New Hampshire and Lowell.

The bit about Geno in the OP sounds great and will look good as a yearbook clipping, but it's total BS that even he doesn't believe.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley has a team of two five star recruits at 86th on KenPom and people here are ready to build him a statue.

If they are 86 on KenPom now it is due to the teams starting position on KenPom at the beginning of the year probably being higher than 150 which goes back to Ollie not getting the job done.

Your pro-Ollie anti Hurley posts are a lost cause dude, It's embarrassing at this point.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley has a team of two five star recruits at 86th on KenPom and people here are ready to build him a statue. Can't remember a time so much was made of a coach beating New Hampshire and Lowell.

Bad Faith Alert! Somehow you neglected to mention 15th ranked Syracuse.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“A great coach told me one time a player is only as good as you think they are,” he said. “It makes a lot of sense. A lot of times when you only see the upside in a kid, that kid tends to give you the upside. When you see the downside and only see the bad stuff the kid does, that kid lives down to your expectations. The worst thing a coach can do is make a decision on a kid before the kid plays or actually plays into that bad place."

Actually it was Geno talking about coaching in general. But.
Actually, it was Geno talking about individual players' personal development. He recruits all levels of players, from superstars to role players, helps develop their skills and encourages them to be the best they can be. Still, some of those kids will end up getting 5 minutes of garbage time every game because even though they might be playing at their highest level, they just aren't good enough. Geno just wants to be sure that's not because of him.

No idea what any of that has to do with football.

Reaction Score
If they are 86 on KenPom now it is due to the teams starting position on KenPom at the beginning of the year probably being higher than 150 which goes back to Ollie not getting the job done.

Your pro-Ollie anti Hurley posts are a lost cause dude, It's embarrassing at this point.

Who says I'm anti-Hurley? I think he's a good coach. It's just easy to see the honeymoon phase coming to an end for him once people realize how hard it is to win NCAA Tournament games.

If the team doesn't make the tournament, Ollie gets slammed for leaving Hurley in a bad spot. If they do, Ollie gets no credit for recruiting the current team.

I can acknowledge the double standard without losing sight of the fact that Ollie deserved to lose his job. That you consider it embarrassing to support a coach who won the title four years ago is...embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Bad Faith Alert! Somehow you neglected to mention 15th ranked Syracuse.

Syracuse is unranked last time I checked. Perhaps they might work their way back into the top 25 now that Frank Howard is back.

Reaction Score
Now, to rebuild a basketball team you need one or two good recruits, you need a lot more to rebuild a football team. I just read that Hurley got AhoyAhoy (might not be the spelling) for next year...he is a top recruit. In football, since HS football is low on the totem pole...(Hockey, soccer, Lacrosse and basketball are higher), we need to recruit against our teams in Texas, Florida and yes the Carolinas. Can we recruit there, yes, but it will be hard..

Can we be successful next year? I think so...will be be undefeated, no, but we will be better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom