Geno on why Edsall fails. | The Boneyard

Geno on why Edsall fails.

Reaction Score
“A great coach told me one time a player is only as good as you think they are,” he said. “It makes a lot of sense. A lot of times when you only see the upside in a kid, that kid tends to give you the upside. When you see the downside and only see the bad stuff the kid does, that kid lives down to your expectations. The worst thing a coach can do is make a decision on a kid before the kid plays or actually plays into that bad place."

Actually it was Geno talking about coaching in general. But......

Reaction Score
Diaco recruits who started the entire season for Edsall this year:

Peart
Crozier
Cam DeGeorge
Nino Leone (most games)
Ryan Van Demark (yes he was a Diaco recruit)
Hergy Mayala
Beals
McClean
Tyler Davis
Eddie Hahn
Omar Fortt
Tarbutt
Coyle
Herring Wilson
and Edsall quickly shifted to Shirreffs last year (Edsall actually rescued Shirreffs, Diaco was done with him)
and Carrezzola, Fatukasi, and Ormsby played every game last year

But keep making up your own facts Boneyard. 5% of you tell lies and 75% of you are dumb enough to believe them. The facts show that Edsall played his best players regardless of class or who recruited them. The results have been terrible but it has nothing to do with Diaco players not being given a fair shot. The best players played.

My Bad I would like to change this to 40% are dumb enough to believe but those tend to be the active posters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve come to believe that inane OPs like this one are simply a cry for attention. I guess you have to live with a certain amount of it on these boards.
I feel sorry for you.

Posts like yours demonstrate not only a lack of reading comprehension but a severe inferiority complex, It's like you are trying to get a gold star as junior bandwidth policeman first class. Because my posts go over your head doesn't make my posts "inane," it just speaks to your inability to infer. Let me make it more literal for you.

Here's what my post means. It directly relates to Edsall repeating that his players are too young, too inexperienced, too slow, too weak, unable to tackle, etc.

Compare and contrast that with the approach Geno is speaking to. Randy's kids live down to his expectations. It's why his players perform below their abilities. It helps explain why his teams don't rise up to meet and overcome challenges. Randy complains that when things go bad it snowballs. But it can also be seen as the players fulfilling Randy's expectation.

BTW, the reason this is relevant now is because Geno made the comments yesterday. And your position is that Geno doesn't know what he is talking about. Very, very astute.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for you.

Posts like yours demonstrate not only a lack of reading comprehension but a severe inferiority complex, It's like you are trying to get a gold star as junior bandwidth policeman first class. Because my posts go over your head doesn't make my posts "inane," it just speaks to your inability to infer. Let me make it more literal for you.

Here's what my post means. It directly relates to Edsall repeating that his players are too young, too inexperienced, too slow, too weak, unable to tackle, etc.

Compare and contrast that with the approach Geno is speaking to. Randy's kids live down to his expectations. It's why his players perform below their abilities. It helps explain why his teams don't rise up to meet and overcome challenges. Randy complains that when things go bad it snowballs. But it can also be seen as the players fulfilling Randy's expectation.

And your position is that Geno doesn't know what he is talking about. Very, very astute.

Your posts don't go over anyone's head. They are completely devoid of meaning and intelligent comment.

You are not as smart as you think you are.

Reaction Score

Or maybe it has nothing to do with what they are saying about them, and more to do with Geno coaching his handpicked best recruits in the country, and Edsall is coaching fcs level players and/or freshmen? I guess though if Edsall had just come out and said our guys are the fastest, the strongest, and the most experienced, they would have played like it. That's what Diaco did. How'd that work.

Reaction Score
Geno said to his first UConn team when the players thought they would go undefeated because they had him. When they were surprised they started losing games he said something to the effect “Yeah but will still only have you guys”.

His team got better as he recruited better players. It will be the same with Randy and Dan.

Basketball you need 5-8 good players. Football you need lots of fast strong players. You can’t make up for the lack of that with willpower. Our D knows when players run by them or drag them for 10+ yds after a tackle. Or tie them up in a block they can’t shed. We Need to keep recruiting good athletes and making them better players in the weight room and then they can be coached as skilled football players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for you.

BTW, the reason this is relevant now is because Geno made the comments yesterday. And your position is that Geno doesn't know what he is talking about. Very, very astute.
Yeah bit of reach Pal. Geno is notorious for being critical of his players. My favorite example was Maria Conlon, the point during the Taurasi years. Geno said "Well she may be short but she's also slow."

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Actually it was Geno talking about coaching in general. But.
admire-your-commitment-to-beating-a-dead-horse-somee-cards-18792067.png

Reaction Score
I feel sorry for you.

Pal, this may come as a surprise to you, but nothing you post goes over anyone’s head. It simply reflects on you and your apparent need for attention. Your posting is puddle depth.

As for your personal attach on me, please don’t feel sorry for me - I have a rich fulfilling life. As for your diagnosis of me having an inferiority complex, you are mistaking that for someone who tends to think before they speak or post. I infer much, but state in absolutes based on fact and first-hand knowledge. You might want to ponder that a bit.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of many posters here, including myself, but come on, you guys can't see any relevance between: "A great coach told me one time a player is only as good as you think they are,” as quoted by Geno and how HCRE2.0 has conducted himself here and as HCREDreamJob1.0 and his player's performances. HCREDreamJob1.0 had 4 plus years to turn around Maryland and in year 5 got fired.
HCRE2.0 noted addition by subtraction, players too weak, slow and young at UConn. HCRE2.0 said winning now is not important, that wasn't my or Palantine's musings. I don't care the context, he said it and if I'm a player I hear it. Think Davis heard it.

Reaction Score
Pal, this may come as a surprise to you, but nothing you post goes over anyone’s head. It simply reflects on you and your apparent need for attention. Your posting is puddle depth.

As for your personal attach on me, please don’t feel sorry for me - I have a rich fulfilling life. As for your diagnosis of me having an inferiority complex, you are mistaking that for someone who tends to think before they speak or post. I infer much, but state in absolutes based on fact and first-hand knowledge. You might want to ponder that a bit.

Then demonstate it by posting something cogent. My post was timely, accurate and insightful. Yours was off topic, insulting and vapid. Try to do better.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of many posters here, including myself, but come on, you guys can't see any relevance between: "A great coach told me one time a player is only as good as you think they are,” as quoted by Geno and how HCRE2.0 has conducted himself here and as HCREDreamJob1.0 and his player's performances. HCREDreamJob1.0 had 4 plus years to turn around Maryland and in year 5 got fired.
HCRE2.0 noted addition by subtraction, players too weak, slow and young at UConn. HCRE2.0 said winning now is not important, that wasn't my or Palantine's musings. I don't care the context, he said it and if I'm a player I hear it. Think Davis heard it.

So if he had said are players are strong, fast, and experienced and our one and only priority is to win games this year...what do you think our record would have been?

Reaction Score

Peart
Crozier
Cam DeGeorge
Nino Leone (most games)
Hergy Mayala
Beals
McClean
Tyler Davis
Eddie Hahn
Omar Fortt
Tarbutt
Coyle
Herring Wilson
and Edsall quickly shifted to Shirreffs last year (Edsall actually rescued Shirreffs, Diaco was done with him)

But keep making up your own facts Boneyard. 5% of you tell lies and 75% of you are dumb enough to believe them. The facts show that Edsall played his best players regardless of class or who recruited them. The results have been terrible but it has nothing to do with Diaco players not being given a fair shot. The best players played.

My Bad I would like to change this to 40% are dumb enough to believe but those tend to be the active posters.
Even if he did play the best players, how is it any good to publically disparage them?

Reaction Score

Peart
Crozier
Cam DeGeorge
Nino Leone (most games)
Hergy Mayala
Beals
McClean
Tyler Davis
Eddie Hahn
Omar Fortt
Tarbutt
Coyle
Herring Wilson

That’s great that he played what he felt were the best players, however what about the rest of the kids on the roster? How can you create depth if you keep telling kids they suck? How can you win games without contributions from guys you didn’t list? You’re going to need them. Injuries happen. Guys get tired. Your job as a coach/teacher is to make EVERY kid better. Even if they don’t FIT what you’re looking for. You don’t know when you’ll need them but they need to be ready. Edsall’s coaching record reflects the OPs point. And it’s exactly why Geno and now Hurley have complete buy in from the kids they coach. You’re NEVER going to have a roster of kids you like. Make due with what you have. Build them up. Allow them to reach their fullest potential. That doesn’t happen if you aren’t invested in EVERY kid on the roster. Until Edsall figures that out, nothing will change.

Look, it’s like the kid in Little League that no one wants to draft. He’s a good kid but he’s not very good. He can’t hit, catch or throw. He knows he’s not good because every coach he’s had told him that. But, someone’s got to take him. You know who takes him? I do. I did it every year. I never treated him different then anyone else on the team. If he was willing to give me 100% everyday, I would make him better. I spent time working with him every practice. He knew I wasn’t going to do to him what other coaches had (play RF). I played him everywhere. I let him pitch a game. I don’t like losing but I didn’t care. This was about getting a kid like that to believe he was part of something. You know what happened? He got better everyday. He started to hit. He made plays in the field. His teammates started to see him as an equal. He was never going to be a great player but he felt like he was contributing to a team for the first time ever. We won the league championship and he got a big hit that game. That doesn’t happen if a coach isn’t INVESTED in seeing every kid achieve their own personal level of success. I prepared him for that moment. He ceased the opportunity. He just needed someone who could push him but he knew that it came from a good place.

I’m not trying to toot my own horn here. I don’t see myself a great coach. But, I’ve been a very successful youth baseball coach over the years. My teams are always the team nobody wanted to play. Not because I picked the best kids or I was a great coach, (I picked kids I thought I could work with and I ALWAYS picked the kid no other coach wanted.), but because I got my kids to believed in themselves, played together and most played above what THEY thought they were capable of. All because a coach was invested in them and believed they were capable of it!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s great that he played what he felt were the best players, however what about the rest of the kids on the roster? How can you create depth if you keep telling kids they suck? How can you win games without contributions from guys you didn’t list? You’re going to need them. Injuries happen. Guys get tired. Your job as a coach/teacher is to make EVERY kid better. Even if they don’t FIT what you’re looking for. You don’t know when you’ll need them but they need to be ready. Edsall’s coaching record reflects the OPs point. And it’s exactly why Geno and now Hurley have complete buy in from the kids they coach. You’re NEVER going to have a roster of kids you like. Make due with what you have. Build them up. Allow them to reach their fullest potential. That doesn’t happen if you aren’t invested in EVERY kid on the roster. Until Edsall figures that out, nothing will change.

Look, it’s like the kid in Little League that no one wants to draft. He’s a good kid but he’s not very good. He can’t hit, catch or throw. He knows he’s not good because every coach he’s had told him that. But, someone’s got to take him. You know who takes him? I do. I did it every year. I never treated him different then anyone else on the team. If he was willing to give me 100% everyday, I would make him better. I spent time working with him every practice. He knew I wasn’t going to do to him what other coaches had (play RF). I played him everywhere. I let him pitch a game. I don’t like losing but I didn’t care. This was about getting a kid like that to believe he was part of something. You know what happened? He got better everyday. He started to hit. He made plays in the field. His teammates started to see him as an equal. He was never going to be a great player but he felt like he was contributing the team for the first time ever. We won the league championship and he got a big hit that game. That doesn’t happen if a coach isn’t INVESTED in see every kid achieve their own personal level of success. I prepared him for that moment. He ceased the opportunity. He just needed some who could push him but knew that he cared.

I’m not rooting my own horn here. I’ve been a very successful youth baseball coach. My teams are always the team nobody wanted to play. Not because I picked the best kids or I was a great coach, (I picked kids I thought I could work with and I ALWAYS picked the kid no other coach wanted.), but because I got my kids to believed in themselves, played together and most played above what THEY thought they were capable of. All because a coach was invested in them and believed they were capable of it!!!

Your post cannot be taken seriously unless you give examples. Who are you talking about? Name the players that should have given us this great depth you speak off?

and Edsall tried the "build the team up with talk" approach pre-season, remember closed fist vs open fist? It didn't work. Everything pre-season was positive. Eveything post Rhode Island game was positive and people on this board killed Edsalll for saying good things about that win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your post cannot be taken seriously unless you give examples. Who are you talking about? Name the players that should have given us this great depth you speak off?

and Edsall tried the "build the team up with talk" approach pre-season, remember closed fist vs open fist? It didn't work.
You don’t have to take it seriously, your choice. Edsall’s tactics don’t work because he’s not genuine. And he’s made it clear publicly that he’s NOT INVESTED in a large portion of the roster.

Reaction Score
\now Hurley have complete buy in from the kids they coach.

Please stop comparing the team Edsall inherited to the team Hurley inherited. Hurley inherited a starting line-up of 4 star recruits. Please stop this stupid nonsense. Ollie sucked and Hurley is awesome I get that, but nothing there is comparable to this football team. Nothing.

Reaction Score
"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training." — Quote of a Navy Seal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom