Geno on freshmen for those who can't watch Geno Show | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on freshmen for those who can't watch Geno Show

Reaction Score
of course, we all recoil when it comes to public humiliation. even some theories about democracy believe that the most fundamental civil liberty and protection is that which it promotes personal dignity and prevents humiliation. but there is a subset of citizens--athletes, politicians, and other public performers--who, because they accept that they have a public persona and that it is precisely their public performance, evaluated publicly, which is most important to them, play by different rules.

If I said to a stranger: "you really suck", that person might be deeply hurt or angry. But if I yelled that to a collegiate or professional athlete, they'd far more likely just shrug and go on. Comes with the territory....

In close cabaret setting when a "comedian" is entertaining and a heckler says "you really suck" or some such term--many of those in that situation --begin a verbal attack --Jerry Lewis , made millions from that business, but didn't take insults as anything but personal --many others follow suit. Personally a person whom I didn't know making insulting comments , bothers me--when a friend does it--it cuts deeply-- Strangers will remain strangers friend insulting friends become strangers.

Reaction Score
I could never understand how a person could be humiliated anytime by a good friend!
Great story, I met Cael Sanderson, now the PSU Head Wrestling Coach but then coaching at Iowa St Univ after breaking Dan Gables record with 159-0 career with 4 NCAA National Championships, at the Boston Univ Wrestling Camp I worked each July. After giving a demonstration/lecture to the whole camp he opened it up to questions and a camper asked, "After a great career is there any regrets you have!" Cael answered, " when he was in JHS he humiliated his best friend to tears in public, and he thinks about that every day and it's shaped his dealings with people since then!"
To me you treasure your friends! You have very few TRUE FRIENDS but many acquaintances! A good friend would be at your side in trouble situations at a moments notice!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22
Top Bottom