Geno on freshmen for those who can't watch Geno Show | The Boneyard

Geno on freshmen for those who can't watch Geno Show

Reaction Score

Thanks---Geno stuff is always good, some we have heard before.
By Geno's admission---he has 4 levels of coaching time.
1 freshmen get the most 2 sophs get a bit less 3 Jr's better know it but get some attention 4 Seniors either know it 0r sit hard ; they are expect to teach the Frosh and Sophs--kick tails and keep them focused.

Trust and meeting expectations are big in Geno's book of BB. He was heard to say of Saniya : You can't trust her. She practiced hard , played hard, at the beginning of her Jr year Geno had high praise for her--in the Stanford game she scored big but missed defensive assignments -- then sat until her Senior year. He's a hard task master.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should feel badly about the players getting criticism here on the BY if their coach calls them (Saniya) "inherently lazy" on NY TV.
Geno for nearly if not all of the 30 years has publicly called out players---not my fondest memories of him. Geeez ---they are ONLY KIDS!!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I don't think we should feel badly about the players getting criticism here on the BY if their coach calls them (Saniya) "inherently lazy" on NY TV.
What a spectator says and what a paid professional says don't exactly carry the same weight. Out of the mouth of a professional with context it is a fact. From one of us bums around here... just an opinion.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I wrote a long response to this POV once, and I'll try to summarize here: Geno has the right to say that. He has a relationship with them that is very, very, very different than our relationship with them. The player signed on to that relationship. His criticism is based on what he sees and says, over months and years, and he is qualified to criticize.
We do not have nearly the knowledge nor the right to personally trash players. We can point out mistakes, but, that's different than the some of the stuff that gets posted here - I've seen posts that, essentially, give up on a freshman after one or two EXHIBITION games, saying that the kid will never make it, never contribute, is hopeless, etc.
That's crazy talk.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What a spectator says and what a paid professional says don't exactly carry the same weight. Out of the mouth of a professional with context it is a fact. From one of us bums around here... just an opinion.
99.99999% of what is on every sports board is opinion. Even if it is expressed as fact. And debated as fact. Sports fans like arguing about sports because it is not difficult to understand at least this what most everyone believes. Hard to successfully implement sports knowledge but that part is irrelevant. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not "regular" kids...
Saniya wasn't one of the sregular kids"?? Frankly to me Stewie or Johnson were both Uconn Kids--and neither deserved public comments (you can select among the johnsons). Nevertheless my comment stands--public negative comments about any level player from any team coach isn't proper. Not a fond memory of Geno---Geeez they are only kids!!

Reaction Score
99.99999% of what is on every sports board is opinion. Even if it is expressed as fact. And debated as fact. Sports fans like arguing about sports because it is not difficult to understand at least this what most everyone believes. Hard to successfully implement sports knowledge but that part is irrelevant. :rolleyes:
You may have missed a point that : Just because one is a coach or a professional--only gives them a larger audience --and that does not in any way should the Professional's opinion be considered FACT.
But every other wording is perfection--exactly right..

Reaction Score
I wrote a long response to this POV once, and I'll try to summarize here: Geno has the right to say that. He has a relationship with them that is very, very, very different than our relationship with them. The player signed on to that relationship. His criticism is based on what he sees and says, over months and years, and he is qualified to criticize.
We do not have nearly the knowledge nor the right to personally trash players. We can point out mistakes, but, that's different than the some of the stuff that gets posted here - I've seen posts that, essentially, give up on a freshman after one or two EXHIBITION games, saying that the kid will never make it, never contribute, is hopeless, etc.
That's crazy talk.
Parents have a closer relationship with each of those kids, and larger financial investment. If any parent talked on TV and spoke of all those things their kids won't or can't do---Many here would be calling for their heads.
--I don't know if Geno has the Right to speak negatively in public about those kids--but he gets away with it --so far.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Parents have a closer relationship with each of those kids, and larger financial investment. If any parent talked on TV and spoke of all those things their kids won't or can't do---Many here would be calling for their heads.
--I don't know if Geno has the Right to speak negatively in public about those kids--but he gets away with it --so far.

Having coached girls youth sports for 20 years (including my two daughters), I can state with confidence that parents have a very different relationship with players than a coach does. I understand - I do - that what Geno has said publicly bothers you. I wouldn't do it either, I don't think (I have never, nor never will, be in the kind of public eye coaching situation that he has been in, for decades now). And, I'm not trying to defend it so much as I am trying to withhold judgement on it - I have not walked in his shoes. I am trying to scotch the notion that Geno's criticism validates fan criticism, as they are not equivalent. I am trying to endorse the notion that players know what they're getting into when they sign on to be coached at UConn.

I also worked on college campuses for almost 15 years. My view of college students is that they are sometimes kids (more than they'd like to admit), sometimes adults, but, I believe in two things. First, the student will adopt whichever personae is to their advantage at that moment - in other words, if they don't want to be held accountable, they put on their "I'm a kid!" mantle, and if they want to do something that's pushing the boundaries, they put on the "I'm an adult!" posture. Second, it is to their and our advantage to hold students accountable as adults whenever possible. They may not like it, we may find it painful, but, legally, by the time they're 18, there's only two or three things (depending on the state) that society does not require them to be an adult for - and, one of them is renting a car.

Long before they reach graduation age, they can marry, they can have children, they can go to war and kill, or be killed for their country. In the long run, coddling them isn't smart. Teach them, talk with them, consult, mentor, advise - absolutely. But, not be so protective that they reach commencement without a few scrapes, scars, and failures. That they've not dealt with stupidity, ignorance, and unfairness, and that they've not had to look in the mirror and understood their own weaknesses and mistakes.

I've long said that "College is playing grown-up, with a safety net." Safety net, yes - cocoon, no.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The investment is not a financial one, nor should it be. These parents and players chose to invest in Geno as coach knowing that occasional public criticism would be part of the deal. Part of Geno calculation is not to invest in players that can't take the criticism. This notion of UCONN WBB players as delicate kids, unable or unwilling to accept criticism is just plain wrong. Criticism from a BYer is irrevalent. Criticism from Geno may very well be the reason many come to UCONN. These kids are going to be just fine.

Reaction Score
He will continue to "get away with it" as long as it keeps working (i.e. as long as he keeps winning national championships).

Reaction Score
That's crazy talk.
These are elite athletes (and adults, as you mentioned in a subsequent post) who chose to be in the public eye. If they are that sensitive to critical comments on a sports message board, then they should be playing intramural hoop anonymously somewhere, and not in front 8000+ paying spectators and TV cameras.

Reaction Score
This is a subject Geno has commented on in different forums. He places so much emphasis on how a player carries themselves, their demeanor, are they a good teammate, are they supportive of their teammates even if their not getting the playing time they think they "deserve". The parents are also evaluated when he and the coaching staff recruits players. The parents are an important part of the recruiting process. If Geno feels the parents will be a deterrent to the players development he won't recruit them. After this screening process, IMHO, Geno and the coaching staff have a fair idea about what kind of criticism a player can handle.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He will continue to "get away with it" as long as it keeps working (i.e. as long as he keeps winning national championships).

Then there is this: time and again players say they find Geno's tough love candor refreshing and sometimes, yes, they don't like how it is delivered. But guess what: they leave UConn loving the man.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love what he said - some kids had great coaching, have great instincts, and just "get" what the coaches are trying to teach. They maybe can't do it all the time, but they get it. He specifically mentioned Maya, Jamelle, Kelly Faris.

He felt Saniya had great instincts. It's a bit of a wonder it took her 3+ years to really employ everything. Maybe she was "inherently lazy" for those 3+ years. She certainly was terrific as a senior day in and day out.

I have a feeling all our freshmen will struggle. I think Megan may be the most gifted - I saw videos of her doing stuff in high school that made me go "ooh and aah". But I really have no idea how long it will take them. One thing I'm sure of, all of them get pushed, get frustrated, and will become better players for it...

Reaction Score
fi

I don''t fully accept that the investment financially should not be considers--it WAS made, believe me I know
Geno--has made the investment of the University a part of his discussion when people have complained that he is too hard on his players --he has a number of times quoted a 65000 education the kids are getting and all they have to do is play basketball---
Maybe the financial part should not be in the discussion--but in terms of getting kids to this level--as you know more than most --it is not insignificant.
So Coco--I won't completely disagree with you--just looking at it differently--

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
These are elite athletes (and adults, as you mentioned in a subsequent post) who chose to be in the public eye. If they are that sensitive to critical comments on a sports message board, then they should be playing intramural hoop anonymously somewhere, and not in front 8000+ paying spectators and TV cameras.
Totally agree. There of course are things that are out of bounds (speculating about players' personal lives, calling them "fat", saying they shouldn't have been offered a scholly, spreading rumors etc etc...).

But bottom line, just as we will be cheer-leading when they have great games, it's also possible that if they aren't playing well, that will be pointed out by fans. UCONN fans are knowledgeable - it's not just about scoring points, but we can tell when someone is struggling...

Reaction Score

Some of Geno's kids ARE Elite--but not all, darn it.

Say something less than nice about any of these players and you hear from HUSKIENAN---Geeze they are only kids. Adult? There is a legal definition 18 and a philosophy /physiological definition (abt 28) . They choose to be in the public eye that's their choice in going to Uconn--I doubt any human chooses to accept unsolicited criticism whether the author thinks its "constructive"--we as humans think we are doing our best and don't accept it easily. In the Jerry Lewis's obits---a person paid a billion to be an idiot--lashed back to any critic with great anger.
Geno has called what they do as --Entertainment---and spoke of the paying for seats to watch the circus.

Reaction Score
The key words ---Keeps winning National Championships---the ugly truth of college sports --coaches get away with near murder as long as they win--but don't win--and you get quickly dumped---NC and Baylor and way bak when--OKla and Tx--points to the case.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We think alike on this subject. However, not just championships but, winning period. I saw it happen here in St. Louis years ago when a certain high school coach used to almost dominate the competition. He used profanity constantly and berated the players. If there were complaints they were not made public. But once his teams started losing, players and parents complained so vigorously, a newspaper article was written about the problems. He no longer could get away with it. He was quickly fired from his coaching job.

Reaction Score
I spent a year or two in the college atmosphere---as in adults or HS kids you can make generalities--but people are people and you can't put any in a nice neat box.
Parents do have a different relationship with their kids than most coaches have. Geno is a special case--in many cases he has had more influence on them than their parent--unlike many smaller colleges --Uconn WBB demands time --time to practice, time to travel, time to play--so at this level the staff and coaches have much more time to influence each kid. More than any parent.

No since the Svetlana back and forth in the media --I have never been a fan of public humiliation. Unfortunately my poor education did not reach your level--however two axioms ring in my brain:

1. Always praise in public 2 reprimand/ demean/in private 3. any person in a power position with kids should always take a higher road.

I have to admit he is not as bad as some of the men's coaches and he gets results. But that part of his "relationship" with the team shall always my least favorite.
I've posted this often in the past and the next time he is more negative on a single player--I'll post this again--it is fixed in my psyche.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom