Geno on Attendance | The Boneyard

Geno on Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Disappointed in attendance. Blames high tix and parking prices.

Seems I've heard that somewhere before.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
$15 for parking! I guess the parking lot attendant was getting a lot of flack because he apologized for the price before I finished rolling down my window.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So much for those arguing UConn should play a regular game down in Bridgeport

Reaction Score
Bridgeport seems to work against itself with surprising regularity.

Reaction Score
Than why did UConn put in for 2013 1st and 2nd rounds? I thought they were going to take a break for putting in for it for a year or 2?

Reaction Score
I'm from Bridgeport. Just go ahead and pile it on my city. It's just so easy isn't it? Yes we have political corruption by a nasty democratic party machine but come on, attendance, Geno is never happy with it.

Reaction Score
I'm from Bridgeport. Just go ahead and pile it on my city. It's just so easy isn't it? Yes we have political corruption by a nasty democratic party machine but come on, attendance, Geno is never happy with it.
Not sure people are piling on your city...but, the prices were the highest of any site for the first round, and parking was too much. There's been talk for year's that the people from Bridgeport wanted a regular season game, but when we're there, they draw four thousand for an NCAA game. Granted, it was against an overmatched opponent, but if they got a regular season game, it wasn't going to be against Baylor, ND, or anyone else of note. It was time to put up or shut up, and they didn't show up...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
$15 for parking is ridiculous. you could park in NYC for less than that (joking but you get my point). why doesn't hartford host the first 2 rounds? much better set up apparently. and i'm betting better attendance?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
$15 for parking is ridiculous. you could park in NYC for less than that (joking but you get my point). why doesn't hartford host the first 2 rounds? much better set up apparently. and i'm betting better attendance?

They were charging 15 dollars at the Greensboro Coliseum here for the NCAA's this week. I went to the Duke open practice on Thursday (free parking), and noticed the signs. They charge $8 for the ACC women's tournament.... thats still a bit high to me. Five dollars is a good base price for most locations for a women's game. Maybe a bit more if the arena is in a downtown. Not sure where the bridgeport arena is.... downtown or the outskirts.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Than why did UConn put in for 2013 1st and 2nd rounds? I thought they were going to take a break for putting in for it for a year or 2?
Because they sacrificed home games to go to the Bahamas, and this was a way to make up some of that revenue.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It wasn't the city that set the rate, it was Webster Bank, who owns the Arena at Harbor Park. I'm told that hockey game attendees pay $10 for parking to see a game there, don't know about other events.

Reaction Score
I grew up in East side of Bridgeport. At one time you felt safe but no longer. Used to be called ,
'Park City' but many from the area now call it, 'Murder City'. Drug shootings & corruption prevail with the former Mayor recently released from Federal prison. I escaped thru education! I still have fond memories of Bpt.

Reaction Score
Also keep in mind that game revenue is split with the NCAA, but the arena keeps all the $ from parking.

Reaction Score
Thankfully the city doesn't own the arena. The clamor that you heard for the game in Bridgeport comes from our very affluent neighbors; the Fairfields, New Canaans, Wiltons, Westons. The average Bridgeporter just doesn't have the income to fill up the arena. Bridgeport is only where the arena is located.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Also keep in mind that game revenue is split with the NCAA, but the arena keeps all the $ from parking.
So in other words they both extorted the fans.

Reaction Score
So in other words they both extorted the fans.

Unless there was a gun being held to fans' heads, there was no extortion.

If folks didn't want to pay, they didn't have to go ... which apparently is what happened.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Unless there was a gun being held to fans' heads, there was no extortion.

If folks didn't want to pay, they didn't have to go ... which apparently is what happened.
OK, attempted to extort. You're right it failed miserably. A bad play given the following week's games were in Kingston.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, there was no attempt to extort either.
Sorry, but it is exactly how it was. Figuring they could play/extort based on fans loyalty.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Vowelguy, you know exactly what Icebear was trying to say when the word "extort" was used! Settle down with the semantics. How about "price gouge" or "take advantage of" or a hundred other ways to say what Icebear meant...

Reaction Score
Sorry, but it is exactly how it was. Figuring they could play/extort based on fans loyalty.

Extortion means $ taken illegally or by force/intimidation. None of those are even remotely true here. Just because someone doesn't like a price doesn't mean its extortion.

You have free will to pay or not pay the prices. Some folks did; some folks didn't. It's called the marketplace.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When people are "scalping tickets", they aren't literally taking the head of hair off of the ticket, right?

Reaction Score
In Hartford, parking is $20 the day of a game or event. My family and I were going to Black Eyed Sally's and there happened to be a concert at the XL Center. $20 to park for dinner. They gouge us because they don't realize they've already killed the goose that laid the golden egg. People have more important needs for their hard earned money especially when they want $40 for tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom