Geno on Attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also keep in mind that game revenue is split with the NCAA, but the arena keeps all the $ from parking.
You think $15 parking in Bridgeport is bad? Wait till you see the Kingston Regional parking rates. You will be stunned!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In Hartford, parking is $20 the day of a game or event. My family and I were going to Black Eyed Sally's and there happened to be a concert at the XL Center. $20 to park for dinner. They gouge us because they don't realize they've already killed the goose that laid the golden egg. People have more important needs for their hard earned money especially when they want $40 for tickets.
I almost invariably pay $10 for parking in Htfd. If you are willing to walk, it's cheaper than that. And tix are $25.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Bridgeport seems to work against itself with surprising regularity.
This is the first time that I can recall. They have done a good job in the past and I've enjoyed watching games there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So much for those arguing UConn should play a regular game down in Bridgeport

'sactly. 'Sides, when I lived in Fairfield Cty and could actually get there ... who wanted to ... darn hard parking configuration and well it's Bridgeport. Just really want to want it to go to any event in that venue. Better to stick it in Fairfied U Gumnasium IMNSHO.

Reaction Score
This is the first time that I can recall. They have done a good job in the past and I've enjoyed watching games there.
Meant to be a general statement.

Having lived in the area my entire life I've witnessed the city deteriorate from a city of vitality to one most fear to enter. Every big idea seems to end in broken promises.

This tourney was such a success in the past that it is sad to see it also lose its luster.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If UConn plays ore games in Bridgeport, I'll pay $5 for parking at a Metro-North station and take the train. No traffic!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In Hartford, parking is $20 the day of a game or event. My family and I were going to Black Eyed Sally's and there happened to be a concert at the XL Center. $20 to park for dinner. They gouge us because they don't realize they've already killed the goose that laid the golden egg. People have more important needs for their hard earned money especially when they want $40 for tickets.
I have never paid more than $10 for an event in Hartford including double sessions of the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
I have never paid more than $10 for an event in Hartford including double sessions of the Big East tournament.
If you don't mind walking a little farther, I paid $4 to pay at a garage with very easy access to 84 East and 91 South. And not all that tough to get to 84 West and 91 North. I always wonder why more people don't park there.

Reaction Score
It wasn't the city that set the rate, it was Webster Bank, who owns the Arena at Harbor Park. I'm told that hockey game attendees pay $10 for parking to see a game there, don't know about other events.
Webster Bank does not own the Arena, they pay to have their name on it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I grew up in East side of Bridgeport. At one time you felt safe but no longer. Used to be called ,
'Park City' but many from the area now call it, 'Murder City'. Drug shootings & corruption prevail with the former Mayor recently released from Federal prison. I escaped thru education! I still have fond memories of Bpt.
what the heck does this have to do with a basketball game at 1:30pm on a Saturday

Reaction Score
It's a lot of time and $ commitment to go to conference tourney, 1st/2nd rounds and regionals, after going to games all season. Sometimes work and family issues are higher priority than ball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you don't mind walking a little farther, I paid $4 to pay at a garage with very easy access to 84 East and 91 South. And not all that tough to get to 84 West and 91 North. I always wonder why more people don't park there.
health issues, lazy or dont mind paying the 10.00

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As I noted in the Courant...UCONN wasn't the only local team to play today; where were the Princeton Fans?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I almost invariably pay $10 for parking in Htfd. If you are willing to walk, it's cheaper than that. And tix are $25.
I park closer to the XL Center than the garages... for FREE.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's a lot of time and $ commitment to go to conference tourney, 1st/2nd rounds and regionals, after going to games all season. Sometimes work and family issues are higher priority than ball.
And the first two rounds are typically not compelling games. February is the business end of conference play, culminating, of course, in the BET. Oftentimes, there's a good OOC game in February as well. This season, there wasn't, but OU came to Hartford last February, and it sounds like Baylor's coming to town next Feb. And then you have the regionals in Rhode Island this year. Just a lot of games and a lot of money within a short span of time. People are going to make choices based on where they live, what they have time for, and how much money they have to spend on basketball games.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I park closer to the XL Center than the garages... for FREE.
I pay primarily because it's easy, and the lot is right across from Feng, which is my traditional pre-game place for XL. And I refuse to parallel park- I'm quite the suburbanite that way.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I pay primarily because it's easy, and the lot is right across from Feng, which is my traditional pre-game place for XL. And I refuse to parallel park- I'm quite the suburbanite that way.
there's a technic to doing it but I cant share cause you may take my spot :D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Webster Bank does not own the Arena, they pay to have their name on it.
The parking lot attendant told me Webster Bank set the parking rate. Maybe it owns the parking lots?

Reaction Score
The parking lot attendant told me Webster Bank set the parking rate. Maybe it owns the parking lots?
The city owns the arena. Webster has a 10-year naming agreement. A private company called Centerplate operates the arena and provides the catering. It calls itself an "event hospitality provider" and would seem most likely responsible for setting the parking prices, but I couldn't verify that. http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Webster-Bank-purchases-naming-rights-for-Arena-at-941257.php#ixzz1pTce3gNP

Reaction Score
Nonsense - "Webster Bank entered into a 10-year $3.5 million agreement with the City of Bridgeport for naming rights of the Arena on January 6, 2011."

Reaction Score
The city owns the arena. Webster has a 10-year naming agreement. A private company called Centerplate operates the arena and provides the catering. It calls itself an "event hospitality provider" and would seem most likely responsible for setting the parking prices, but I couldn't verify that. http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Webster-Bank-purchases-naming-rights-for-Arena-at-941257.php#ixzz1pTce3gNP

Centerplate is based in Stamford (see www.centerplate.com), contact them at
Centerplate
2187 Atlantic Street
Stamford, CT 06902

Centerplate is one of the largest hospitality companies in the world, with 250 North American sports, entertainment and convention venues. We are the largest food service provider for the NFL, a major provider to professional baseball, and we partner with six of the top ten most active convention centers. No stranger to marquee events, we’ve hosted countless landmark occasions, including 12 Super Bowls, 20 World Series, 15 official U.S. Presidential Inaugural Balls, more than 100 major College Bowl Games and the largest plated dinner in history at the Alpha Kappa Alpha Centennial Celebration.

Reaction Score
yes, $15.00 is too much but the worst part was trying to exit the parking lot. City of Bpt should be ashamed of itself.It took over 20 minutes to get on the street.There should have been a policeman on every corner and exits from lots.Does anyone know where the handicap parking is for Monday's game ?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
yes, $15.00 is too much but the worst part was trying to exit the parking lot. City of Bpt should be ashamed of itself.It took over 20 minutes to get on the street.There should have been a policeman on every corner and exits from lots.Does anyone know where the handicap parking is for Monday's game ?

The parking garage has far more handicap parking spaces than the garages at Gampel or the XL Center, and all are located on the ground floor level for EZ in and EZ out. Permit me to add that arena staff members were most accommodating and helpful to me and I deeply appreciate their courteous assistance.

With all the (justified) criticisms of pricing of tickets and parking, I would like to comment on what a very nice arena it is. I missed a few things about Gampel (the big TV screens and the electronic stat boards) and XL (that big square TV that hangs over the center of the arena) but, other than those relatively unimportant features, I found the ambiance in Bridgeport to be most enjoyable, far superior to what we put up with in Storrs or Hartford. It's easy to pile on Bridgeport, but they have a top-notch baseball park and basketball/hockey arena. And nice people working in each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom