Geno on 3 pt shooting... especially Paige | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on 3 pt shooting... especially Paige

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Paige has a really, really, really good "stop and pop" 15-18 foot range jump shot. I have not seen her take it in the last two games.
Tough to take that short pull up in the quarter court when teams are packing it inside. That shot isn't there for her.

Reaction Score
But you are talking "practice." After the game what she was doing was that she was "practicing." She was "practicing shooting" the same way my example stated players were "practicing "shooting" free throws. By your standard anyone that doesn't practice as long as Paige after practice or a game then they should be taken to task for not working hard enough? Where then do you draw the line of criticism? For example, if Paige could do this after a game she shoots poorly then why can't she also do it after games in which she she shoots "average" or "well?" Thus the more she does this then it could be argued the less chance she'll have the type of poor shooting for the next game and overall for the season. And do you think the media would have told you if Anna or CWill is doing extra time for example? How do we know it's not before a game to further that that some work on it? Do you think the media would tell you that one player is doing it more vs another?

And then think about next year. I assume Azzi Fudd puts a ton of time on her 3's maybe more than Paige because Paige maybe has to work more on her ballhandling to continue her excellence there. So if one works a little bit more than the other -- we're going to rip the other too?

And you don't think Geno has his guards and wings practice 3pt shots? Only free throws? If post players can practice their post moves in practice why wouldn't guards and wings practice their "catch-and-shoot" 3pt shooting in practice?
SMH EricLA specifically said he was not saying they (AM, EW, and CW) didn’t already practice their three point shooting on their own, only that if they do not, then they should! How can that possibly be construed as “ripping” them?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tough to take that short pull up in the quarter court when teams are packing it inside. That shot isn't there for her.
I've seen PB take the mid-range numerous times in past games and missed most of them. I don't think it will be long before she hits one and I think that is all it will take to get her going on it.

Mid-range is tougher than it looks. Not a bunny and not a 3 pointer. It takes a bit more touch and usually when you are on the move or a quick pullup. I saw clips of her make these shots with ease in HS, so I think she will start hitting them with regularity soon.

Hard to imagine PB has only played 6 or 7 games. Keep in mind most players never develop a mid-range pullup.

If I was Baylor, I'd be worried because PB is about ready to have a serious breakout game.

Reaction Score
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are rooting to watch bad fundamental basketball just so you could watch a closer game.

Well for me I'm more of a wcbb than men because of the opposite of what you want to see. I love the power teams and would much rather watch a a great precision high scoring fun game from great players performing at a high level rather than a watered down of poor fundamentals just so the score can be close.
I believe Martin’s comment was specifically about 3 point shooting and was basically a desire to see more games that are not essentially over at halftime. I didn’t see anything about poor fundamentals. For me, I’m just as happy if we win by 50, whether it’s in the regular season or in the national championship game. However, I do understand other fans love of close games.

Reaction Score
SMH EricLA specifically said he was not saying they (AM, EW, and CW) they didn’t already practice their three point shooting on their own, only that if they do not, then they should! How can that possibly be construed as “ripping” them?

Didn't he say if they aren't doing what Paige is doing then they aren't working hard enough? How is that not ripping them if they aren't?

Reaction Score
I believe Martin’s comment was specifically about 3 point shooting and was basically a desire to see more games that are not essentially over at halftime. I didn’t see anything about poor fundamentals. For me, I’m just as happy if we win by 50, whether it’s in the regular season or in the national championship game. However, I do understand other fans love of close games.

Here is what he said:

Unpopular opinion here but I kind of hope the three-point shooting is below average all year or just even bad imagine instead of winning by 40 you win by 20 instead of 20 you win by 10 and instead of 10 you win by five instead of winning pretty you win ugly.

He is also talking point margin, is he not? How is point margin only including 3pt shooting?

Secondly, a fundamental in basketball is "shooting." Thus he is rooting for a poor fundamental because isn't it clear he is hoping they miss to a certain level? And to further that, another fundamental, generally percentages go up when you get open shots. So if you are getting open shots- that is the generally the result of good passing. Passing is another fundamental.

The better UCONN passes the ball, generally the better they will shoot the ball, correct? So yes- he is rooting against poor fundamentals. just so he can watch a close game. Passing and shooting are fundamentals.

Reaction Score
I can't agree more husky! The last game, I thought she forced a couple of shots. I really didn't see many times where she gave up shots and she took 15, more than anybody else.

I just think GA is ensuring that when we play a top 5 team, that she doesn't hesitate to shoot first and pass second assuming she has the open shot. He's afraid she will defer to teammates since she is a freshman. I think Geno would rather tell her she has taken poor shots than tell her she hasn't taken enough.

On the other hand, she is the point guard so she needs to get others involved and through the first several games, especially the last one, I don't really see her passing up many shots.

I just think Geno wants to ensure she takes all shots when she is open in down the road games.

Yes. Paige "only" got 18 against DePaul, but she had 5 other points wiped away by a teammate's being in the lane too long (a 3-pointer: swish) and a pull-up because of a teammate's foul. She should have finished with 23, which would have made this discussion about scoring more sound even stranger. She also had her highest total of 3's attempted and made.
I didn't like her body language after missing a few, as if she were disappointing someone. Everyone misses a few including a GOAT. Buck up and smile. Who loves ya, baby?

Reaction Score
Anna problems shooting aren't relegated to being too far from arc. She is consistently missing wide open shots from everywhere in the quarter court. Because teams are packing the lane most of the shots she's missing are uncontested. Another problem is she has an issue beating defenders off the dribble. Another issue is because of her lack of quickness she never gets enough space to shoot a pull up. Another issue is she hardly ever gets any cheap baskets on the break or from rebounds. Now, that isn't to say she's a complete offensive liability. She rebounds well and is a great passer, but to this point her putting the ball in the basket in any way has been a challenge.
I said "one problem I see".... there are others, but that does not negate my original point. She frequently positions herself too far from the line and often takes extra long shots because of it. And those shots usually come up short (front rim). More than one thing can be true, you know... :)

Reaction Score
Does the offense allow Paige to shoot a lot of 3-point shots? Coach would have to take the ball out of her hands and allow others to bring it up and then let Paige come off some screens. If that happens, does that take away the inside game for Olivia? Also, with Anna and her shooting. The young lady takes some good shots but she does not get into a rhythm. One or two looks and the team won't go back to her again for a while. Like I said many times, Anna has a nice shooting stroke. The team or coach has to figure out a way to get her some looks. Either coming off screens or just pull up jumpers. I am just glad that she doesn't force a lot of shots up.

Reaction Score
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are rooting to watch bad fundamental basketball just so you could watch a closer game.

Well for me I'm more of a wcbb than men because of the opposite of what you want to see. I love the power teams and would much rather watch a a great precision high scoring fun game from great players performing at a high level rather than a watered down of poor fundamentals just so the score can be close.
Personally I want blow outs right through the last game, but that's just me...

Reaction Score
Here is what he said:

Unpopular opinion here but I kind of hope the three-point shooting is below average all year or just even bad imagine instead of winning by 40 you win by 20 instead of 20 you win by 10 and instead of 10 you win by five instead of winning pretty you win ugly.

He is also talking point margin, is he not? How is point margin only including 3pt shooting?

Secondly, a fundamental in basketball is "shooting." Thus he is rooting for a poor fundamental because isn't it clear he is hoping they miss to a certain level? And to further that, another fundamental, generally percentages go up when you get open shots. So if you are getting open shots- that is the generally the result of good passing. Passing is another fundamental.

The better UCONN passes the ball, generally the better they will shoot the ball, correct? So yes- he is rooting against poor fundamentals. just so he can watch a close game. Passing and shooting are fundamentals.
The point is (, even if you parse down every word of every sentence and tortuously manipulate the statement/post to mean what you want it to mean) Boneyarders speaking out about what they see as weaknesses in the team or even individual players is not (as long as it is not mean-spirited) “ripping”! As to whether he was referring to anything other than three point shooting, I kind of interpreted “I kind of hope the three point shooting” sentence as self explanatory. That is one of the great things about the Boneyard though, we can all have an opinion, while knowing that , in the end, our peerless staff and great players will ultimately figure it out and the juggernaut that is UConn Women’s Basketball will continue to delight and amaze us.

Reaction Score
Anna problems shooting aren't relegated to being too far from arc. She is consistently missing wide open shots from everywhere in the quarter court. Because teams are packing the lane most of the shots she's missing are uncontested. Another problem is she has an issue beating defenders off the dribble. Another issue is because of her lack of quickness she never gets enough space to shoot a pull up. Another issue is she hardly ever gets any cheap baskets on the break or from rebounds. Now, that isn't to say she's a complete offensive liability. She rebounds well and is a great passer, but to this point her putting the ball in the basket in any way has been a challenge.
I agree that she is missing too many shots and many of them have been open. She is not a creator off the dribble to shoot so no, she will not be a threat in that regard. She does finish well off the break however, so I disagree with you there. She also pushes the ball very well off the rebound and often makes the pass just before the assisted pass for the fast break bucket which is huge in my opinion.

But on balance, I agree, she needs to hit shots and I think she will very soon. She is a good shooter and unfortunately, she has hit this period of going cold again.

Also, I think Geno sticks with her as a starter so as not to compromise her confidence and I think he believes she will start hitting her shots too. Let's put it this way, if she had hit say 40% of her open shots to date, which she is very capable of doing, how good would we look now? How much better does that make the rest of the offense? I think GA is counting on this.

Also, there is no rush to put AE in the starting line-up. She can give us a big punch off the bench which GA loves to have and change the game. She may even play as many or more minutes than AM, even if she doesn't start.

Reaction Score
Yes. Paige "only" got 18 against DePaul, but she had 5 other points wiped away by a teammate's being in the lane too long (a 3-pointer: swish) and a pull-up because of a teammate's foul. She should have finished with 23, which would have made this discussion about scoring more sound even stranger. She also had her highest total of 3's attempted and made.
I didn't like her body language after missing a few, as if she were disappointing someone. Everyone misses a few including a GOAT. Buck up and smile. Who loves ya, baby?
Good point and I forgot about that. Also, she missed at least one layup and two mid-range shots which I think she will be automatic on very soon. She was just a bit off on those shots.

This is why I think a huge game is coming from PB.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Didn't he say if they aren't doing what Paige is doing then they aren't working hard enough? How is that not ripping them if they aren't?
Nope not even close. What I said regarding practicing shooting 3's is as follows:

I'm NOT saying that Christyn, Evina and Anna don't do that, but if they don't, they should. If Geno doesn't have them shooting "X" number of 3-point shots in practice, and I doubt he is, then they should be doing it on their own.

Good lord, aside from @Tonyc , I'm one of the more "rah rah" guys on the BY. I certainly am capable of pointing out flaws and where our team needs to improve (IMHO of course), but to accuse me of "ripping" players is an unfair comment IMHO. :)

Reaction Score
Here’s what I’m looking forward to......When all our players start to think I’m getting a no-look pass from Paige! It will happen and that is beautiful!! We have a Very good passing team and some of those awesome passes I love to re-watch!! I bet you do too!

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion here but I kind of hope the three-point shooting is below average all year or just even bad imagine instead of winning by 40 you win by 20 instead of 20 you win by 10 and instead of 10 you win by five instead of winning pretty you win ugly. And you have to win ugly games to win championships it shows a lot of mental toughness and character and the ability to overcome boundaries. And it also challenges the coaching staff. I hope to see more ugly wins. I mean there just aren’t enough last-second baskets to win games with Uconn. The games are always over early. As Geno said a few years back when they lost he told his players This is reality all of those back to back to back championships and the previous championships that’s fantasy this is reality losing is reality. Something like that. My favorite quote from him.

The part about losing is right.

Winning ugly either means that you stunk but the other team stunk more or that both teams' defenses are great. I like to see well executed offense.

Reaction Score
I'm NOT saying that Christyn, Evina and Anna don't do that, but if they don't, they should. If Geno doesn't have them shooting "X" number of 3-point shots in practice, and I doubt he is, then they should be doing it on their own.

Good lord, aside from @Tonyc , I'm one of the more "rah rah" guys on the BY. I certainly am capable of pointing out flaws and where our team needs to improve (IMHO of course), but to accuse me of "ripping" players is an unfair comment IMHO. :)

Okay - if you are saying you aren't ripping them -then fine-- and I know you made one comment - "I'm NOT saying that Christyn, Evina and Anna don't do that, but if they don't, they should." but can you tell me when you said-- I put the numbers (1) and (2) in--

These kids work super hard at practice, but I think (1) they need to do more to improve their shooting. Just my $.02...

And then you follow-up with:

If Geno doesn't have them shooting "X" number of 3-point shots in practice, and I doubt he is, (2) then they should be doing it on their own.

You're following up by saying they need to practice more like Paige, aren't you? Ypou seem to roll over your comment "I'm not saying they don't" . . .

I mean -
(1) -- You were suggesting that they need to do more, correct?
(2) -- You were suggesting that they need to do more work on their own, correct?

If you are suggesting in any way that they aren't doing enough (your .02) - I don't understand how that isn't ripping them. You're all but saying Geno doesn't have him shoot enough 3's in practice - though you don't 100% say it-- but there is an implication, isn't there?

And if you are suggesting that "they need to do more" isn't that the same as "they are not doing enough?"
----------------

I can never agree with a poster stating that a player is not doing enough in terms of effort and /or work for a Geno Auriemma coached basketball team. IMO he'd bench a player if he felt that way. Heck - he has even said he'd bench his players for "body language" (and imo sometimes he has gotten so mad he'd bench a player knowing they might lose to make a point- though that might no longer be true.) You are suggesting they need to do more -- to me is just so wrong. Way too harsh. Whatever--- I'm done with this. Feel free to come back at me and I won't respond you or cuango or others can have last word on this particular subject. I've said my peace. :) You are a great poster. Hopefully no harm done. :)

Reaction Score

That shot is there for her almost every possession.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Getting back to Paige, she almost never takes a bad shot. How many times have we seen players from other teams barrel into the post and jack up a crazy shot hoping to get bailed out by a foul call? Or shooting a 3 with the shot clock winding down because they couldn't get any other shot?

I realize it's a small sample size, but she's so good with the ball and so crafty that even when she's 1 on 3, I feel like it's still a good shot because she finds a way to get herself open, and therefore IMHO, the shot is there. I literally feel like every shot she takes is going in, and I find myself slightly surprised when it doesn't! Reminds me of a more slender Sabrina in that respect.

I get why Geno wants her to be more selfish. But I also get her instincts to get her teammates involved. She needs to find a balance between bringing the ball down the court and creating her own shot every single possession, and passing up to many open shots.

I'm betting in high school, she could have averaged 50 PPG, and I'm betting inside her mind, she knows that. But to her credit, she's an incredible teammate (and passer) and she often tries to get her teammates involved, clearly in high school as well.

In 6 games she's taken 78 shots, or 13 per game. I'm betting Geno wants her to take between 18-20 per game. If she has that many open shots, can you imagine her scoring average? @MilfordHusky gave me a list of players who have averaged over 20 PPG for an entire season. Bascom 3x, Pheesa twice, and Maya/Sales/Lou once each. Hardly ever done at UCONN.

Paige may average a good number less PPG next season, but I'm betting her APG goes way up (Thank you Azzi Fudd!!)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Great post. I saw that in Geno's post game and thought the Curry/Thompson line was particularly amusing. And he's spot on of course. Paige should be an elite shooter, and she is. Anna should be good, and Christyn/Evina should be solid, and they are not. Not a single one of those 3.

So what's the answer? I know Paige has been seen in the gym after games shooting and shooting and shooting some more. Maybe it's something the other 3 should consider doing. If the other 3 aren't doing several hundred (or whatever number it should be) reps of 3-point shots DAILY, they simply won't magically get any better.

At least with Anna we know she's capable of it since she did it last year - the 2nd half. But it's not like it's something that simply can't be worked on. These kids work super hard at practice, but I think they need to do more to improve their shooting. Just my $.02...
That's right. The last phase of practice should be shooting practice. You don't leave unless you make a designated % of your shots.....example= 8 of 10 foul shots, etc.

Reaction Score
That's right. The last phase of practice should be shooting practice. You don't leave unless you make a designated % of your shots.....example= 8 of 10 foul shots, etc.
If this year's team couldn't leave the gym until they got 8 of 10 foul shots, some of them would need to bring their beds and pjs to the gym. They'd never leave . . .

Reaction Score
It seems to me that Paige is trying to do what DT used to do (in her Junior and Senior years) which was that the first few minutes she will pass the ball to get her teammates involved and as the game progressed took more and more shots. Geno wants her to shoot more as in reality she is the best shooter on this team (Azzi, where are you?) and to beat the top teams in the country she'll need to score 20-25 points for UConn to have a realistic chance winning.

Reaction Score
From what I have read the coaching staff records every shot every player takes as a miss or make in every drill in every practice.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
From what I have read the coaching staff records every shot every player takes as a miss or make in every drill in every practice.
I like that!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom